Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    It IS a lack of creativity and innovation when you crutch on the same game franchises for 30 years. It's even worse when your best version of that game franchise came out in 1993. On top of that, Nintendo has failed to produce a console which has competitive specs with Sony or Microsoft for the last 10 years. Instead, they focused on gimmicks as the main selling point.

We have a Wii. My 9 yr old would rather play games on his computer. Instead of asking for a Wii U for his birthday, he asked for an Xbox 360 with Orange box.

Does that tell you anything?
    People buy Nintendo systems for Nintendo franchises. Wii U has none of those franchises available yet, so is it all that surprising your 9 yr old or anyone for that matter does not want a Wii U atm? As soon as Zelda U, Mario U, Smash Bros. U, etc. hit the shelves it'll be the Nintendo 3DS all over again.

10+ Year Old Account
    in Limbo... damn the Wi-fi is expensive here...
    I'm not mad with Nintendo, just disappointed. Not enough games for the system and the system itself is just too expensive. Why don't we have a Pokemon stadium/coluseum style game on the system? Or a Pokemon RPG? The Wii u had so much potential, I honestly feel it'll be dead in 6 months going the same the dreamcast did.

People buy Nintendo systems for Nintendo franchises. Wii U has none of those franchises available yet, so is it all that surprising your 9 yr old or anyone for that matter does not want a Wii U atm? As soon as Zelda U, Mario U, Smash Bros. U, etc. hit the shelves it'll be the Nintendo 3DS all over again.
    I just told you, we HAVE a Wii, with all the games you're talking about. He could sit in front of it and play for hours. Instead, he wants to play Half Life 2, a nearly 10 year old game. I've tried to convince him to just get it for his PC, but for some reason, he's stuck on this 'I want an Xbox 360' thing. I'm pretty sure it's because his friend next door has one.

I don't think he realizes the graphics quality for Xbox 360 is below his PC, but it's whatever.

The point still stands. Nintendo fails to innovate NEW IP. I would rather NOT play another Mario or Zelda game. I'd rather NOT buy a console because it has two screens or shitty motion controllers. I'd rather NOT buy a system where the controller is a low quality tablet. I could care less about anything Nintendo publishes so long as it's a rehash or a system with inferior hardware.

Xbox One and PS4 are already behind PC gaming, and they aren't even out yet. Nintendo only cares about appealing to kids and old people, and that's why I don't like them.

All this is coming from someone who grew up with Nintendo and played the shit out of their games. Now I'm bored and I want something NEW.

10+ Year Old Account
    It IS a lack of creativity and innovation when you crutch on the same game franchises for 30 years. It's even worse when your best version of that game franchise came out in 1993. On top of that, Nintendo has failed to produce a console which has competitive specs with Sony or Microsoft for the last 10 years. Instead, they focused on gimmicks as the main selling point.

We have a Wii. My 9 yr old would rather play games on his computer. Instead of asking for a Wii U for his birthday, he asked for an Xbox 360 with Orange box.

HAHAHAHAHAHA, Ok so tell me a company that has innovation or creativity?. Staying with the "same" franchises over 30 years it's not exaclty lack of innovation, since their games differ in gameplay and experience they just use the same PROTAGONIST. Besides that has earned an special classic character status that no other first company has achieved.

Lol cmon man just compare NES, SNES, N64, gamecube and wii. EVERY single one of those HAS a BIG innovation prior to it's antessescor.

compare super mario and mario galaxy....
    compare zelda with skyward....

Lol, Ok so YOUR 9 year old unspecified kid decided to get a console 8 years old that has lower graphical capabilites than the wiiU and less controller option and is going to die in term of launching games over a Wii U that is new, Better graphics, a tablet, more new games coming and more options to controllers.

Yeah your kid has the last word and should completely tear down my argument.....
    I see dead people and blood in my blades.

Deleted
    Never seen anything bad written about Nintendo, certainly not 'so much hate' for it. Strange thread.

10+ Year Old Account
    I just told you, we HAVE a Wii, with all the games you're talking about. He could sit in front of it and play for hours. Instead, he wants to play Half Life 2, a nearly 10 year old game. I've tried to convince him to just get it for his PC, but for some reason, he's stuck on this 'I want an Xbox 360' thing. I'm pretty sure it's because his friend next door has one.

I don't think he realizes the graphics quality for Xbox 360 is below his PC, but it's whatever.

The point still stands. Nintendo fails to innovate NEW IP. I would rather NOT play another Mario or Zelda game. I'd rather NOT buy a console because it has two screens or shitty motion controllers. I'd rather NOT buy a system where the controller is a low quality tablet. I could care less about anything Nintendo publishes so long as it's a rehash or a system with inferior hardware.

Xbox One and PS4 are already behind PC gaming, and they aren't even out yet. Nintendo only cares about appealing to kids and old people, and that's why I don't like them.

All this is coming from someone who grew up with Nintendo and played the shit out of their games. Now I'm bored and I want something NEW.
    Kids are really easy to manipulate, If his friend circle has pokemon cards he WILL want pokemon cards, if his friends has cellphones he WILL want a new cellphone etc...

Yes, because Half life 1 and half life 2 innovates in gameplay a lot, Nintendo not only targets kids, however their main games are mainly for early teens but it could be applied to sony or xbox since they just exploit the fps genre ( dont dare to say no) ironically it's full with 12-15 kids wanting to be "cool" and pretend to be "mature"
    I see dead people and blood in my blades.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarky View Post
    I love nintendo, however they do some really dumb things, like not being able to transfer VC games from wii to 3ds, and no nintendo ds player for the TV even though they would sell like hotcakes.
    At least Nintendo has backwards compatibility...

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account

It is a lack of creativity when you rely on rehashing the same mediocre overrated franchise for a decade like Microsoft has with Halo, and both they and Sony would have died horrendously if it wasn't for games like Call of Duty keeping their systems selling. Neither of them can develop a franchise that sells as well as Nintendo can because they don't have the creative minds in their studios to do it. Sony has literally ridden the pine for 3 generations relying on 3rd party studios to move their systems. And Microsoft is much the same, they don't make games, they make systems and that is all the difference. Nintendo is in the business of making games, not media consoles. When the competition learns to make it their own games and good quality ones at that, people will understand what it is that Nintendo does.

Also, sounds like your kid is being exposed to too much violence if he wants an Xbox and the Orange Box, kids shouldn't be playing that kind of stuff.

Oh, and Nintendo has never been in the business of competing with the graphics whores, no one is their competitor. Sony and MS compete with the PC. You should know what happens to businesses that try to push consoles with advanced hardware over innovation, they die, like Sega did.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by geewhiz80 View Post
    I'm all for this so long as it's not a shooter (well not shooter per se, but third person action/adventure is probably more accurate) like Starfox Adventures.... Ugh.

I grew up on the original NES myself. I still love to play some of the games that they come out with. Love me some Smash Bros.
    I loved Star Fox Adventure, that game was awesome and a huge step away from the other games. The successors were all pretty shit though to be honest.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by spinner981 View Post
    At least Nintendo has backwards compatibility...
    That is the truest thing in this thread.
    Last edited by Rennadrel; 2013-08-26 at 01:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    It is a lack of creativity when you rely on rehashing the same mediocre overrated franchise for a decade like Microsoft has with Halo, -snip-
    Dude... hold it right there! I could seriously argue the same thing about the Legend of Zelda franchise at this point!

OK - Halo 1 came out in 2001...

Here's a list of all the Zelda games since 2001

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
    The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages
    The Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past/four swords (partial rehash)
    The Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap
    The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
    The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
    The Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks
    The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

This is, of course, excluding spinoffs like

Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland
    Tingle's Baloon Fight
    Link's Crossbow Training
    Dekisugi Tingle Pack

This is ALSO excluding all the re-releases, such as Ocarina of Time for 3DS and the upcoming Wind Waker for Wii-U.

I'll say it once, and I'll say it again - I'd GLADLY love for Nintendo to drop their home console devision if it means we can have a GENERATION defining Legend of Zelda game again on a Sony/MS system instead of yet another average mediocre Zelda game on another Nintendo console.

Nobody is crying because Sonic is on another system... and they won't if Zelda went somewhere too.
    Last edited by mvaliz; 2013-08-26 at 02:13 AM.

I'm sorry but I would have to disagree. Popular franchises no matter what the entertainment genre are timeless. How else do you explain the popularity of Star Trek, Star Wars, Dungeons and Dragons, and countless other media franchises over the decades? It doesn't matter if we are talking about movies, TV, or video games. The name of the characters doesn't matter, what matters is how they are presented. If they are presented in a format that is entertaining and engaging it will be a success. So I can't really accept any argument against the characters of a game. There is nothing wrong with that.

What you could argue is how they are presented. You could say that how popular franchises are presented are old and outdated and in some cases you could have an argument for that. I personally think that they need to tone down the Mario franchise a bit and let it rest a few years between releases and try to reinvent it's presentation.

Specs as most people here will agree too are trivial. If everyone just cared about specs nobody would be playing any console system at all. They would all be PC gamers. The financial success of the Wii and 3DS are testaments of that.

Oh You can argue a negative on the Wii in that it's 3rd party support was weak and it's game attachment was low. You could even say that because of it's under-powered specs it lost a lot of 3rd party support form developers.

But that exact same argument could not be made of the 3DS when compared to the PSP Vita. If specs truly only cared about specs then the Vita would have demolished the 3DS. It didn't, it failed, and got crushed by Nintendo. Yes I know, the market is different. Yes I know it is dominated by Nintendo. But it also shows that the power of a game system will always come secondary to the quality of the games on it. If the game is good, people will play it.

If Nintendo can produce good games using popular franchises they will be successful. Based on their history in the industry you have to take the opinion that they will accomplish both in due time.

Note: I don't have any of the consoles, the last game console I owned was a Sega Genisis from way back during the 16 bit era. I only play PC games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    I'll say it once, and I'll say it again - I'd GLADLY love for Nintendo to drop their home console devision if it means we can have a GENERATION defining Legend of Zelda game again on a Sony/MS system instead of yet another average mediocre Zelda game on another Nintendo console.

Nobody is crying because Sonic is on another system... and they won't if Zelda went somewhere too.
    Microsoft would turn LoZ into FPS garbage. Pass.
    Men!

Quote Originally Posted by LilSaihah View Post
    I picked Biden because he may throw Obama into the Death Star's reactor core, restoring balance to the Force.

Now having a ball on SWTOR!

Quote Originally Posted by Caylis View Post
    I'm not mad with Nintendo, just disappointed. Not enough games for the system and the system itself is just too expensive. Why don't we have a Pokemon stadium/coluseum style game on the system? Or a Pokemon RPG? The Wii u had so much potential, I honestly feel it'll be dead in 6 months going the same the dreamcast did.
    we will most likely be getting a pokemon fighter game like street fighter or tekken called pokken fighters
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Nadev View Post
    Microsoft would turn LoZ into FPS garbage. Pass.
    What would MS have to do with making a new LoZ? I think you completely misread what I wrote.

I'm talking about Nintendo putting their home console resources into making a Generation defining Zelda on a Sony/MS system. MS wouldn't have any say in their game's development whatsoever (unless they try to strike some exclusivity deal with Nintendo) because Nintendo would be the developer/publisher as a 3rd party devleoper.

I don't think Nintendo's hardware is the reason Zelda is (was) a good series back in the day. It was how they used those systems that made it good.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarky View Post
    I love nintendo, however they do some really dumb things, like not being able to transfer VC games from wii to 3ds, and no nintendo ds player for the TV even though they would sell like hotcakes.
    I agree with this.

I would love for them to add some feature like Sony had, where you can buy a older digital game, and then play it on your system at home, and then transfer it and the save data to your 3DS and play it on the go.

Honestly, the only thing that I"m mad at Nintendo about is that they separate every shop channel they have, and then charge a small fee to add Wii U options for games on your Wii.

What would MS have to do with making a new LoZ? I think you completely misread what I wrote.

I'm talking about Nintendo putting their home console resources into making a Generation defining Zelda on a Sony/MS system. MS wouldn't have any say in their game's development whatsoever (unless they try to strike some exclusivity deal with Nintendo) because Nintendo would be the developer/publisher as a 3rd party devleoper.

I don't think Nintendo's hardware is the reason Zelda is (was) a good series back in the day. It was how they used those systems that made it good.
    Why does it have to be on another system to be Generation defining?
    I personally loved Skyward Sword, how would it of been better on another system?
    Last edited by Jester Joe; 2013-08-26 at 04:11 AM.

the game would be shitty because the people who make the games now would retire
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    the game would be shitty because the people who make the games now would retire
    #RareProblems.

Good bye Rare, I will miss you.

I might be late to this, but it tells me that he has an odd choice in platforms to play the Orange box on if he has a computer...(This will be one of the few times I will ever say that PC>Console, and that's when it comes to the Orange box)

Also the Wii U has barely any games now, it will pick up, Nintendo has ways.

10+ Year Old Account
    They don't care about multiplayer (network), cloud storage or social media integration
    These are just a few of the reasons I love Nintendo. I am a bit disappointed thought that now they are starting to dabble with DLC, really hope they have no plans to use it for Smash Bros 4.

and no nintendo ds player for the TV even though they would sell like hotcakes
    And this is one of the nit pickey things I have against Nintendo. I would have bought a Wii U as soon as something like this would have been announced, I spend a lot of time thinking about the best way they could get it to work.

My only problem with the rehashes of their series is that the style of them is always the same. I do get a little sick of the same worlds and levels themes and plots being used in a lot of classic style Mario games when I can instead go back and play the Wario Land games which have a much greater variety to their stages, I have the same problem with series like Pokemon as well. I dont even care if they make 20 Mario games in a year, that's fine with me, I just ask that now and then they mix up the style of the games a little more beyond game play (and that goes for all their series, which they have done at times in the past).

10+ Year Old Account
    ughh again with this shit. You people bring up such pointless points about generation specs and failed innovation in IPs when neither of which are truly a big deal. If every video game developer started working on the PC, then we'd see some true crazy ass innovation. I will tell you that. My pc alone, which was made a year ago, according to its specs, is already better than the next generation of consoles.

And besides, Nintendo doesn't want to do it. You're a consumer. Act like One! If you want to buy Nintendo games, then BUY THEIR DAMN SYSTEM. If not, then DON'T. Jesus, I want to play Halo and Left for Dead 2 with my friends but I told them straight up I have no intention on paying for Xbox 360 and Xbox gold when I have a ps3 at home.

I don't hate Nintendo, but they haven't pushed any boundaries since N64 days. All they do is keep re-releasing the same old games. The games are not bad by any means, quite the opposite, but how many times do I have to buy Ocarina of Time or the same old 2D or 3D Mario?
    I don't consider Nintendo a major player in the industry any more, in the sense they were in NES and SNES days.

Say what you want about Sony and MS, but they at least they are pushing forward, from indies to investing on fresh ideas and small studios around the world to making the way we play better and not just different, it's not just Halo and Killzone.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by YouAreAllWrong View Post
    I don't hate Nintendo, but they haven't pushed any boundaries since N64 days.
    You're right, the Wii didnt push any boundaries and cause its competitors to follow suit at all.

but how many times do I have to buy Ocarina of Time
    but how many times do I have to buy
    have to buy

Anyway.

3DS re-release of one of the greatest games Nintendo ever released on the N64 and you make a huge deal?