Just fix the pet derp and I'd be happy.

All this discussion about 5.4 changes..and I asked myself what would I like to see, and I realized I'll deal just fine with all the changes coming, but I'd love to see Blizzard fix the fail that are pets. Not just the utter WTH are you doing you scream at your pets when doing the "forgot to Quality Control" fight that is Megara...pets seem to get stuck, glitch etc etc more than ever. The pathing and AI this tier is just terrible. Here's my 2 cents on what I'd do ( hey, at least I care about it ) I play BM atm, and pet behavior is overwhelmingly the majority of my dissatisfaction list with WoW.

1) Give pets the pathing algorithms used by mobs/npc's. It would be so nice to see pets going from A -> B, instead of the A to C, stick at F for awhile, Pull the mobs 200 yrds away at Q, eventually end up at B.

2) Call, Dismiss, Revive, become actions centered on the hunter..Ie. No LOS or distance concerns anymore. Just so very tired of having pet glitch on fight, get stuck outside fight etc and no longer have the use of them. They're doing this with revive, but it would be nice to see it on any actions that control the location/ ability to summon etc. pets.

3) My dream change would be a pet stance that's: attack that mob until it dies, ignore what's happening to me little guy..and when it dies then go attack something that I'm attacking or is attacking me, until I send you to attack something else. I think the aggressive stance did this if I remember right.

4) I'd like Blizzard to actually do something about pet behaviour. I really don't care if "they're aware of the issue", "It's not that easy.", "technical issue blah blah BS". All of that is just smoke to cover up what the real issue is: "We don't feel like spending money on this. Suck it."

5) I'm just not a fanboi anymore, so the dismissive response "you just gotta do more of that pet micro-management stuff" doesn't cut it. I've been a hunter main for the years I've played and just think WoW could be a more mature software product for the 10+ years it's been going.

TL;DR: qq

I agree with pets needing some work with pathing, especially with the newer Blink Strike, which seems to be the culprit most of the times. On the ptr, I would notice my pet randomly despawning on a lot of fights;\.
    <Guiles Theme Song> @ Mal'Ganis-US Horde 20-man 10/10M 8/10M, currently recruiting all
    Stream: http://www.twitch.tv/timoseewho

3) My dream change would be a pet stance that's: attack that mob until it dies, ignore what's happening to me little guy..and when it dies then go attack something that I'm attacking or is attacking me, until I send you to attack something else. I think the aggressive stance did this if I remember right.
    Nope, aggressive stance made the pet attack anything within aggro range. What you want is the old version of defensive stance, which did exactly what you describe.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by mmochump View Post
    2) Call, Dismiss, Revive, become actions centered on the hunter..Ie. No LOS or distance concerns anymore. Just so very tired of having pet glitch on fight, get stuck outside fight etc and no longer have the use of them. They're doing this with revive, but it would be nice to see it on any actions that control the location/ ability to summon etc. pets.

4) I'd like Blizzard to actually do something about pet behaviour. I really don't care if "they're aware of the issue", "It's not that easy.", "technical issue blah blah BS". All of that is just smoke to cover up what the real issue is: "We don't feel like spending money on this. Suck it."
    2) I totally agree, I hate it when the pet gets stuck out of LoS and you can't dismiss and recall it, they probaly fear that dismiss without LoS would be abusable, but it is about time they change it.

3) well /petpassive /petattack should do the trick

4) I think we all do, but there is not just that one magic-fix that solves every pathing problem forever, every single pathing fail is an unique situation and needs individual fixing. On the other hand, megaera is not a new boss and the next raid is almost live, what the hell did they wait for and not work that one boss out? makes me feel like all we can do is cross fingers that there are no pathing issues in SoO, because we cannot know if they ever going to fix it.

Right, defensive is the one I meant to write :P. Wrote post tired and after a few ( lots ) of beerz. Aggressive was the "PvP" stance, and defensive the PvE. Basically, I'd like a stance that's 1) I send pet to mob, it attacks that mob until it has died, regardless of what's happening to me. Once mob dies, it chooses new target and attacks that. The bouncing around or returning to me is the stuff I hate with stances, as both are dps losses.

I do use a macro for pet that uses petattack, assist, and hunter's mark. I just wish we had maybe more choices in stances.
    Last edited by mmochump; 2013-08-26 at 01:16 PM.

While I'm not 100% sure what issues you're talking about with 4 (well sort of... I know of a lot lol) I can say that what you're saying about "smoke and mirrors" to "hide" the fact they don't want to spend money to fix it isn't true. Fact of the matter is, a lot of pet stuff is programming. You can't just throw money at programming and make it work.

Speaking as someone who has dabbled in some SIMPLE programming, I can tell you that something like pet AI must be "SCARY" to look at and try to debug. It's not something you can have 5 people work on at a time, that'd be a mess to keep straight with how precise things need to be (literally if something isn't CAPITALIZED in one place and in another Place is it WILL BREAK). Also, you never know how one small change is going to effect something someplace else.

I'm not necessarily defending Blizzard here. If they maybe hired on a new programmer whose focus was fixing this it likely would get done. But ultimately Blizzard wants to make money, and I doubt they are going to hire on/devote a whole programmer to one problem that doesn't, I don't know, break the whole game? Especially when said issue being fixed could cause a bug to creep up that actually DOES break the game.

Granted we as players wouldn't be likely to see this game breaking, but internally they would and that would have to be fixed. Which depending on factors could be easier said than done. Like do they make a new build to make sure it isn't totally broken every week? Day? Whenever they feel it's needed? If it's day they have to sort through much less than a week.

I would be happy if my pet could jump.
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Luckily I have no interest in Catgirl Simulator 2014 or whatever it is.
    Said while playing WoW with cow, wolf, panda and fox girls.

you speak as if blizzard gives a flying fukc about hunters and their pets, everyone knows mages & locks are there babies.

Quote Originally Posted by Himora View Post
    you speak as if blizzard gives a flying fukc about hunters and their pets, everyone knows mages & locks are there babies.
    You talk like mage/lock pets don't have pathing issues or don't get stuck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Relapses View Post
    Luckily I have no interest in Catgirl Simulator 2014 or whatever it is.
    Said while playing WoW with cow, wolf, panda and fox girls.

For 3) all you have to do is put your pet on passive and send it on a target, it will attack it until it dies regardless of anything as long as you don't give another command. The issue is when the target dies it will just stand next to you until you notice and send it on another target, you'll have to manually send it on a new target every time.

About everything else, I totally agree!

Deleted
    I quite often hear our hunter scream "fucking idiot pet" on TS. I'd love it if they fixed pathing issues on pets, so I don't have to hear him whine about it every raid :P

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't count anymore how many times I've been in a BG and I can't keep track of my pet because he's off doing his own thing, I even made a macro that every time I arcane shot, which is alot, that my pet attacks that target. It still doesn't get the job done however! In summary, yes pets need to be fixed.
    Total Honorable Kills - 46,552
    Total Killing blows - 43,116
    Total deaths - 3,164

10+ Year Old Account
    I would love to have that Kill Command charge back. They should just make it not work on players.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by El Plastico View Post
    I would love to have that Kill Command charge back. They should just make it not work on players.
    I honestly don't understand all (or most rather) complaining about pets. Battlegrounds or better yet Temple of Kotmogu can be a little iffy, but in PvE I hardly ever encounter anything. And the things I do can be easily fixed. Megaera aside which is just a pain in the back.

However, the Kill Command charge is something I really miss. It was such a nice addition and a huge quality of life improvement. I was under the impression that pets not charging anymore had to do with the countless of bugs that came with the patch that broke pet movement speed and special attacks. Unfortunately it seems like this was intended. Or else it would have been fixed by now, right? ...right?

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'm genuinely curious - what all fights in MoP have you guys had pathing issues on?

The only culprits I've seen are Megaera and Sha of Fear. Megaera doesn't happen every week and it seems to be worse with Blink Strikes, but little Timmy the Ostrich will disappear and go on vacation for a while unable to do anything for some reason. On Sha, I've only seen this once, but little Timmy the Ostrich decided to stay on the platform and not come back to the main area with me. He despawned and I had to call pet so it wasn't a major issue, and as I mentioned, I've only seen it once personally.

The only other pet issue I've really seen in a raid this xpac is right before Lei Shen. When clicking the transporter thing and turning into the energy sphere to go down to LS's platform, I had little Timmy the Ostrich bug out and fall from the sky onto the platform directly on the boss as he was walking from one corner to the other. This made him pull LS and wiped us, but I've only seen that once as well.