Can we have an ilvl requirement for random bgs and why ToK makes me cry inside

So Temple of Kotomogu was the Call to Arms this weekend. Probably the simplest battleground to understand (not that any are complex). Playing Alliance I went 2 wins 15 losses. There were only two losses were it appeared as though we were up against an oQ premade, the rest just a random assortment of players all across the gear spectrum. On another toon (healer) I went 0 wins 5 losses and it was like trying to heal marshmallows. It was almost like Horde queue to play the game and try to win, while the alliance were there to leech honor. People were giving up out of the gate. It's hard to remain positive I guess when you're grouped up with a handful of people either in MoP quest greens or old 377 pvp gear. Honestly, I think there needs to be some kind of mechanism that prevents you from queuing if you're below a certain ilvl the same way that you are prevented from queuing for heroic dungeons. I'm not talking a huge number, 440 or something. Enough so that you need to at least pick up a couple of crafted pvp pieces to get your foot in the door.

I'm aiming for the Temple of Kotomogu veteran achievement but it's starting to seem like one of the tougher, more frustrating, grinds in the game right now. At my current rate I'll be heading toward 1,000 ToKs played before I get that one.

10+ Year Old Account
    A little off-topic but if you are serious about it and got relatively deep pockets for your healer I can recommend using Restorative Amber (http://www.wowhead.com/item=89230). Makes mana a non issue and you cannot be interrupted while using it, otherwise mana can be very taxing for that map.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shomari View Post
    Playing Alliance I went 2 wins 15 losses.

Usually the same people queue over and over and anyone who has done a lot of random battlegrounds understands to stop queuing for random's after a couple of losses and vice versa for the winner. That results in long lose/win streaks whether you are alliance or horde.
    If you are going for the veteran achievement avoid queuing when it is Call to Arms, because a lot of premades (oQueue or guild/friends) are going to chain-run call to arms.
    I got 51 Temple of Kotmogu battles with 36 wins by solo queuing alliance so it can't be that bad.

10+ Year Old Account
    How would just dinged people start with pvp then?

Quote Originally Posted by Puuhis View Post
    arenas? i geared up my fresh 90 to full tyrannical in less than 2 days by dropping mmr and having a friend help me (buying trade caps also works, you should have tons of gold from leveling alone)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Woop Woop View Post
    arenas? i geared up my fresh 90 to full tyrannical in less than 2 days by dropping mmr and having a friend help me (buying trade caps also works, you should have tons of gold from leveling alone)
    That only works after season catch up begins.

Personally I think they will never have any sort of ilvl requirement. The reason is because it is so easy to get gear that gear is not an indicator of skill or knowledge. I think that if Blizzard put an ilvl requirement on BGs, even if it is something totally forgiving, like 440 and below is the garbage and above is separate that there would be this expectation that if you make it into the higher bracket that everyone knows what they are doing.

In fact there are so many reasons to be in random BGs that it is impossible to please everyone. I don't need honor, I don't need gear. I mostly am in BGs now because I want to do the 100 win achievements on some things or because I want to try out a spec or because I want to blow off steam. So in my case I either care about winning and nothing else, or I just want to find 1v2 or group situations to try something out. There are people that BG to do nothing but find 1v1. There are people that are there to afk their way to free epics so they can meet ilvl requirements for LFR. There are people in there that are actually quite good at PvP but are either drunk, talking to friends, or dicking around for fun.

So this is what Blizzard has to contend with, the vast array of different goals in random BGs and the expectation that is put on them when you have role assignments and gear requirements. Think, LFR you have a reasonable expectation that the guy who queued as a tank is going to tank, but in BG there is no expectation.

About temple in specific, it is at it's core the simplest of all the BGs. Hold orbs for points, kill orbs to stop points. That is all there is to it. There are more subtle strategies, but that is the essence of it. If you are personally having issues with this BG while queuing solo you should do what I do, just orb hunt the whole game. Do nothing but roll in and pop CDs on orb carriers blow them up and run away. Don't grab orbs, don't try to help your team, don't try to kill people that are not orb carriers. You will do way more for the outcome of the game by stopping points as opposed to trying to gain points. I am 100-28 in all random Temple games doing just that.

Quote Originally Posted by Woop Woop View Post
    It doesn't work if you don't have a friend to carry you.

lol. So they should gear in arena to get conq gear, until they can have the ilev to get into random bgs for honor gear? Seems flawed.
    Just be in a pvp guild and queue with some guildies, work together and collect the honor.

Quote Originally Posted by Puuhis View Post
    Maybe allow higher level gear to be purchased for honor/conquest so that you can gear for max level as you go through lower levels? The max level gear gating for PvP is utterly dumb.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

Rift has your experience brackets, so that wouldn't be a bad idea. Never PVP? You are in the 0-4, all the way up.

random bgs have very little to do with gear and skill and more to do with the number of bots.
    People who have best gear or knows how to play stopped doing random bgs in TBC.

Playing to game with every intention to win got me and 4 guildies win streaks almost every time we play together.
    Get a group of friends to queue together.
    Don't have friends that pvp? Find some. Oqueue is your friend here.

ilevel requirements have been some talk on Blizzard's part but that would introduce a separate battleground "group" that would group up people based on how much pvp gear they have.
    ie. If you have at least full Malev you get in A battlegrounds, if you aren't at least full Malev you get into the B battlegrounds.