Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Armond View Post
    There is an enormous, enormous difference between being rewarded and not being punished.

This entire thread is full of strawmans/slippery slopes. OP wants to remove res sickness, and everyone is taking his argument way off to left field and saying he's claiming deaths should carry no penalty. This is obviously not the case - OP has said absolutely nothing about faster corpse runs or removed durability loss. I don't care if you agree or disagree with anyone here, you should be using arguments, not fallacies.

There's also a lot of unrelated arguments about how other games are harsher and how in "the old days" you lost more. Just because the system is better than others doesn't mean it's a good system.

Personally, I don't like res sickness. It's basically ten minutes of "stop playing the game now", which is just as problematic as stunlocks and CC. There should be a penalty for dying, yes - that's what durability damage and repair bills are for (and, eventually, the cost of buying more potions and flasks as you keep fucking up on that one boss mechanic). I agree that repair bills are pretty minor and should probably be increased in some way, though I also think repair bills are more "invisible" to most players - you click the "repair all" button and go about your business. There's two solutions I can think of off the top of my head: items break in an order (first your head goes to 0% durability, then your boots, then your chest, etc - randomized, obviously) and you need to make an individual click for each broken piece, or dying reduces/eliminates the drops for the next few mobs you kill. Both should be disabled in a non-LFR raid environment, though.

If you don't like the suggestions, make them better.

How about if i dont like the suggestion to dismiss it? Res sickness should punish you because you are too lazy to recover your corpse. If res sickness wasnt there, people would just rez at the spirit healers and not give a fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    The OP would have loved the original res sickness.
    And how was the old resurrection sickness? Please add quality to your posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    Are you really looking for logic in a game that sends you dragons via the mail service?...

Quote Originally Posted by DPA View Post
    Why is Resurrection sickness even in the game?
    It's a waste of time to everybody, and I don't care that you don't have to corpse run, it's still a waste of time.
    If I choose to resurrect at the spirit healer, I get a 10 minute timer where I can do... Nothing!

What do you think about resurrection timers, should they be in the game?
    If you have gathering professions, go gather. Hearth or fly (to kill more time), repair, check the AH for cheap mats if you have crafting professions. I get your issue but there is plenty of stuff to do.

I have played since release and I have legitimately needed to use spirit rez maybe a half dozen times and that was strictly because I died in a place I couldn't reach. I would say it is almost completely avoidable.

Needless to say I don't mind the rez timer. I have always found stuff to do in game to kill the 10 mins. If I really don't have anything to do. I just alt tab, watch youtube, check email, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazomir View Post
    How about if i dont like the suggestion to dismiss it? Res sickness should punish you because you are too lazy to recover your corpse. If res sickness wasnt there, people would just rez at the spirit healers and not give a fuck.
    I went trough the world because of bad game design that allows feared player toons to run trough walls. Now I'm falling into eternity (or my corpse is). I can't walk trough walls as a ghost(Whats up with that?) And I can't recover my corpse in any other way.
    Why should I be punished because of a design flaw?
    Are you really looking for logic in a game that sends you dragons via the mail service?...

Deleted
    Surely I should be punished with either a 10min ress sickness to get away from corpse campers, or a 2min+ ress timer. And please don't give that bullshit "you chose to play on pvprealm RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE). It's a waste of time, that I pay for, and it's a poor and old design.

- - - Updated - - -

It's a mistake I made that highlvl players decide to camp and corpse camp people in low leveling zones.

You died to PvP on a PvP server? Dont play on PvP server.

- - - Updated - - -

I went trough the world because of bad game design that allows feared player toons to run trough walls. Now I'm falling into eternity (or my corpse is). I can't walk trough walls as a ghost(Whats up with that?) And I can't recover my corpse in any other way.
    Why should I be punished because of a design flaw?
    Shit happens. Deal with it. Its not like this is the most common thing in the world.

Res sickness is overly harsh given that you can die in a place very difficult to recover your corpse. I was typhooned off of the Legendary hill where Wrathion always gives you stuff, and it took 5 minutes to run back. As an added bonus, there was no name of the horde player in my combat log, as the typhoon apparently didn't deal damage.

At least in that case I didn't take durability.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    No kidding. People used to lose experience, levels, gear...
    Remember Ultima Online? When you died you lost money, experience, AND people could come loot your corpse. Good times.

Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    The OP would have loved the original res sickness.
    When you could be farmed for honor as soon as you spawned before the change in 2.x? More good times, lol.

They already added a bunch of new graveyards so run times are shorter. There's only durability loss, and a mere 10 minute penalty in the rare times you can't actually run back. The community has gone soft, I say. Soft!

EVE dying vs WoW dying...

One can mean losing a 2 billion ISK ship, one means running for a couple of minutes, or at worst losing 10 minutes sitting around waiting (and a few dailies of gold in repairs)

I'm not sure I would call what happens in WoW, even with rez sickness a "penalty for death" when compared to elsewhere

Quote Originally Posted by Kazomir View Post
    You died to PvP on a PvP server? Dont play on PvP server.

- - - Updated - - -

Shit happens. Deal with it. Its not like this is the most common thing in the world.
    World pvp was never ment to involve harassive corpsecamping, it's a poor argument.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Effbee View Post
    EVE dying vs WoW dying...

One can mean losing a 2 billion ISK ship, one means running for a couple of minutes, or at worst losing 10 minutes sitting around waiting (and a few dailies of gold in repairs)

I'm not sure I would call what happens in WoW, even with rez sickness a "penalty for death" when compared to elsewhere
    AFAIK EVE got insurance systems?

The problem with res sickness is that it was originally there if you didn't want to run really far back to where you died there were very few gy's per zone originally normally just one. The problem today is that you can fly and die in places you wouldn't normally be able to go and have to take res sickness which wasn't the cause for having to take it originally.

In wrath and cata they had death mounts so this wasn't an issue in mop they didn't do it and thats where the problem is.

Typically when you died in a game that was "Game Over" I can live with 10minutes of rez sickness.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Quote Originally Posted by Armond View Post
    There is an enormous, enormous difference between being rewarded and not being punished.

This entire thread is full of strawmans/slippery slopes. OP wants to remove res sickness, and everyone is taking his argument way off to left field and saying he's claiming deaths should carry no penalty. This is obviously not the case - OP has said absolutely nothing about faster corpse runs or removed durability loss. I don't care if you agree or disagree with anyone here, you should be using arguments, not fallacies.

There's also a lot of unrelated arguments about how other games are harsher and how in "the old days" you lost more. Just because the system is better than others doesn't mean it's a good system.

Personally, I don't like res sickness. It's basically ten minutes of "stop playing the game now", which is just as problematic as stunlocks and CC. There should be a penalty for dying, yes - that's what durability damage and repair bills are for (and, eventually, the cost of buying more potions and flasks as you keep fucking up on that one boss mechanic). I agree that repair bills are pretty minor and should probably be increased in some way, though I also think repair bills are more "invisible" to most players - you click the "repair all" button and go about your business. There's two solutions I can think of off the top of my head: items break in an order (first your head goes to 0% durability, then your boots, then your chest, etc - randomized, obviously) and you need to make an individual click for each broken piece, or dying reduces/eliminates the drops for the next few mobs you kill. Both should be disabled in a non-LFR raid environment, though.

If you don't like the suggestions, make them better.
    Here's a better one:

Current system, including res sickness.

I don't even know why you think having to click your headpiece or boots one by one as stuff breaks is a better system, and repair bills ARE pretty heavy as it is (ever progressed?).

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Okay we can get rid of res sickness if you agree to give up a large % of your gold for using the spirit healer like in previous MMO's equivalents of the spirit healer.
    AchaeaKoralin - Are you still out there? | Classic Priest

Quote Originally Posted by wow View Post
    The problem with res sickness is that it was originally there if you didn't want to run really far back to where you died there were very few gy's per zone originally normally just one. The problem today is that you can fly and die in places you wouldn't normally be able to go and have to take res sickness which wasn't the cause for having to take it originally.

In wrath and cata they had death mounts so this wasn't an issue in mop they didn't do it and thats where the problem is.
    I understand the concern, but flying death mounts in MoP had different issues (Sha of fear, to name one). The point remains the same - don't die. It may inconvienience you. They just can't be bothered to "fix" you dying in some stupid place by giving you a 60% speed death mount, I suppose. I'm not saying it's good design, but again, not dying is what fixes it, and I imagine this is why Blizzard cba to change it.

Removing resurrection sickness could invoke some unexpected play style changes. For example, it may be advantageous (such as while leveling) to take a 'strategic suicide' just to use the graveyards as an 'instant teleport' half-way across the zone.

In general, death should have consequences, to prevent players from unusual activities such as willing suicide.

10+ Year Old Account
    Land of the mighty moose, polar bears and fika.
    You're not supposed to use resurrect at spirit healer unless you can't find/reach your corpse.
    To discourage exploiting and easy escapes, there's a penalty.
    Active WoW player Jan 2006 - Aug 2020
    Occasional WoW Classic Andy since.
    Nothing lasts forever, as they say.
    But at least I can casually play Classic and remember when MMORPGs were good.

Deleted
    Once you stop penalising death or failure in a game like this, you're going to start seeing some very strange behaviour. "Dying to save time", "Dying to skip trash" Etc etc.

Because forgetting about you character flying on a 310% mount for 10 mins and then coming back finding your character off the world map should give you some penalty

If you haven't experienced the old Blade's Edge Mountain '10 min walk to corpse before it got fixed', then you have no right to complain about rez sickness

(And yes, after that 1 death in BEM I strived not to bloody die in the zone again unless it was a gank)

Also, it's still in the game so that you can show up at the start of a raid with the debuff to anger your raid leader. People have fond memories and nostalgia when it comes to resurrection sickness. The removal would instigate one of the largest rage-fests the WoW forums have ever seen. Developer twitter accounts would blow up with outraged tweets and Wow as we know it may even cease.