Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Resurrection Sickness

Why is Resurrection sickness even in the game?
    It's a waste of time to everybody, and I don't care that you don't have to corpse run, it's still a waste of time.
    If I choose to resurrect at the spirit healer, I get a 10 minute timer where I can do... Nothing!

What do you think about resurrection timers, should they be in the game?
    Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    Are you really looking for logic in a game that sends you dragons via the mail service?...

10+ Year Old Account
    Because you fucked up and died, deal with it-Blizzard
    i live by one motto! "lolwut?"

Quote Originally Posted by DPA View Post
    It's a waste of time to everybody, and I don't care that you don't have to corpse run, it's still a waste of time.
    If I choose to resurrect at the spirit healer, I get a 10 minute timer where I can do... Nothing!

I think you should stop being lazy and run back. If there was no penalty for dying, then people would find a way to exploit it. How WoW handles dying is nothing compared to how MMOs used to.
    Spike Flail - US Mal'Ganis | Currently 11/11 M | Art by ElyPop

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Crookids View Post
    I think you should stop being lazy and run back. If there was no penalty for dying, then people would find a way to exploit it. How WoW handles dying is nothing compared to how MMOs used to.
    No kidding. People used to lose experience, levels, gear...

Quote Originally Posted by Crookids View Post
    Sometimes running back is not a possibility.

Signature Created by Jassinta

It's a holdover from another time, with the attitude that there needs to be a "death penalty" in the game. Call it one of the sacred cows of the game, I guess, but there is no real reason it should be around other than MMOs have always had some kind of death penalty.

Why are we even alowed to die in WoW? It's a waste of time! What's this Azeroth doing in this game? Who wants to travel to places? Where's the instant teleport button? The fuck are these mobs doing here, why do I have to do stuff for my sword?

It's all a waste of time!

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    Dying means you are failing, failure should not be rewarded in any capacity.

which is why the spirit rez exists. That's just how it goes. Try to stay alive.
    Except if you spirit rez you are getting a double death penalty. First for dying you are losing time and money (repairing damaged equipment). Then for using spirit rez you are getting another set of penalties (Further durability loss AND an obscene time penalty). I'm fine with a penalty for dying (well, I'm not but every game has it so it's a given) but WoW has two if you need to spirit rez. That shouldn't be the case. They should implement the flying ghost mount to prevent the NEED to use a spirit rez unless you want too. We know they have the tech for it.

Signature Created by Jassinta

Deleted

Im just sick of people that are entitled to their time. What? You died? Should the game say "Sorry" to you and give you more subscribtion time and a goddamn cookie!? You died. DIED. There is and should be a PENALTY for fucking up in games! So you should stop doing it!

10+ Year Old Account
    I can only assume the OP made this while waiting for his rez sickness to end.

I haven't had to deal with it since probably WotLK - it is just that easy to avoid.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

The OP would have loved the original res sickness.

Deleted

Like many people have already said, without any kind of penalty for getting yourself killed, why would you feel an urge to try and stay alive? Wow is really "kind" on the dying thing compared to other rpgs that will for example drop all your loot, set you back in exp etc etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Death should mean something.
    Hi

Deleted
    Tibia used to make you loose Items + XP when you died.

WoW has the best death system. If they give you a ghost mount it should travel at 60% of your normal flying speed.

Lightforged Draenei
    10+ Year Old Account
    They should just add a gryphon mount in pandaria. Dying in some places really sucks wasting not only time but lots of gold. About those people saying ''your own fault'', its not really true, since i've been ganked a lot when I tried to grab some onyx eggs on those high pillars out of envy

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    Dying means you are failing, failure should not be rewarded in any capacity.
    There is an enormous, enormous difference between being rewarded and not being punished.

This entire thread is full of strawmans/slippery slopes. OP wants to remove res sickness, and everyone is taking his argument way off to left field and saying he's claiming deaths should carry no penalty. This is obviously not the case - OP has said absolutely nothing about faster corpse runs or removed durability loss. I don't care if you agree or disagree with anyone here, you should be using arguments, not fallacies.

There's also a lot of unrelated arguments about how other games are harsher and how in "the old days" you lost more. Just because the system is better than others doesn't mean it's a good system.

Personally, I don't like res sickness. It's basically ten minutes of "stop playing the game now", which is just as problematic as stunlocks and CC. There should be a penalty for dying, yes - that's what durability damage and repair bills are for (and, eventually, the cost of buying more potions and flasks as you keep fucking up on that one boss mechanic). I agree that repair bills are pretty minor and should probably be increased in some way, though I also think repair bills are more "invisible" to most players - you click the "repair all" button and go about your business. There's two solutions I can think of off the top of my head: items break in an order (first your head goes to 0% durability, then your boots, then your chest, etc - randomized, obviously) and you need to make an individual click for each broken piece, or dying reduces/eliminates the drops for the next few mobs you kill. Both should be disabled in a non-LFR raid environment, though.

If you don't like the suggestions, make them better.
    Last edited by Armond; 2013-08-26 at 05:16 PM.

Blizzard nerfed the ghost run speed guild perk because they wanted to make death more punishing if they did that they won't remove sickness.

Stood in the Fire eldritchforeshadow's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Rez sickness is a penalty for dying in the game. It teaches you to not make the same mistakes again which will make you a more careful player and you will die less. I have played rpg's or mmo's where you lost gold or half a level if you died.

Ultima Online was fun. After I kill you, I can loot your corpse.

Surely I should be punished with either a 10min ress sickness to get away from corpse campers, or a 2min+ ress timer. And please don't give that bullshit "you chose to play on pvprealm RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE). It's a waste of time, that I pay for, and it's a poor and old design.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by eldritchforeshadow View Post
    Rez sickness is a penalty for dying in the game. It teaches you to not make the same mistakes again which will make you a more careful player and you will die less. I have played rpg's or mmo's where you lost gold or half a level if you died.
    It's a mistake I made that highlvl players decide to camp and corpse camp people in low leveling zones.
    Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    Are you really looking for logic in a game that sends you dragons via the mail service?...