Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Ok, I really suck at warcraft 3

No this is not an exaggeration, no this is not a cry me a river I just lost a game.

I'm sincerely looking for aid on what I'm doing wrong.

I've owned this game for awhile, I just liked the warcraft franchise, I joined WoW in 2005, so I figured I'd buy warcraft 3 to get the lore in 2006. Was interesting, played through I think all campaign but 2 (rexxar and the one before that).

But man...

I'm losing to easy bots. Everytime, I'm not leveling up my hero enough, my units die when I'm trying to level my hero, I feel like I'm not producing enough units.

I honestly have no idea where I'm going wrong and I don't know where to start to fix it.

I mean, just in general big tips little tips, anything. You could consider me new to RTS's, even though I've played them off & on for years now, I just never really got into one, and I just feel like in an RTS type mood lately.

get your hero out faster and get creeping asap. easy bots can't handle aggression. they can't really handle towers either or fast expansions

Well if you really suck at it then here you go.
    WhosYourDaddy
    - God mode

GreedIsGood 9999999999- Gives you Gold and Lumber
    SharpAndShiny - Research upgrades
    IseeDeadPeople - Remove fog of war

Just a small detail, when you use the cheats the opposition gets the benefits too. If you add gold/lumber or research then you also give it to the opponent.
    Probably running on a Pentium 4

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbazz View Post
    Just a small detail, when you use the cheats the opposition gets the benefits too. If you add gold/lumber or research then you also give it to the opponent.
    Naha yeah, never do warpten against the ai! They will build so quick early game it's just horrible!
    dragonmaw - EU

You can try going to wcreplays.com and look at the recommended replays to see how high level players are playing your race, what heroes they use for what races etc.

Also playing team games is alright once you feel confident enough. It's easier than playing solo.

10+ Year Old Account
    watch some sc2 games, may pick up some stuff that is applicable to wc3
    i live by one motto! "lolwut?"

Stood in the Fire ArMeD_SuRvIvOr's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    First, what race do you play? There are certain standard builds and openings (and hero picks, since picking blood mage as human will most likely mean you will die) that will help you. Then, do you have a replay?

Without those two infos, all I can do is give you general tips (of course there are MANY strategies and variations) so... if you're human, start with Archmage, spam footies till you get 4-6, get some rifles. Humans usually go heavy spellcasters with numerous sorceress's, priests and spellbreakers. Dwarf hero after you go Tier 2.

For undead, DK and spam fiends. Enough said, lol. Lich is the best second hero you can get, most of the time.

For orc, you will most likely want to go Blademaster. Get some grunts. Troll berserkers suck. Shamans and late game spirit breakers + shamans will rape anything.

For night elves, it depends. VS orc you want to go hunts and druids of the talon for the faerie fire, which destroys low armor orc units. I can't say much more since nelves are my weakest race.

---------

-Always preserve your units (retreat them to base when low HP) and buy salves/use moonwells/scrolls of restoration to keep your units alive longer. Never let them die to creeps. Deny enemy hero experience by killing your own, low health units if you can't save them in any other form (healing, invisibility, etc).

-Keybind your buildings (6-9) for faster and easier unit production. Never stop producing. Always keep in mind your gold levels in your gold mine; know when to expand

-Build your base and form walls with your buildings. Such as farm-farm-barracks-town hall-altar of kings-lumbermill (a sample order) to deny the enemy units entrance to your base. Be sure to keep enough space to move around inside though, and leave gaps for you to leave and enter, while using those gaps as chokes when under attack. Usually one tower right next to your peon line will keep harassers away.
    Last edited by ArMeD_SuRvIvOr; 2013-08-27 at 03:43 AM.
    Really sucks if they start to limit their vision for an expansion just to get the next one out faster.
    BLOOD DPS. Never forget. Still campaigning to get you back, babe.

I normally just random a race. I've always favored orc/undead usually though.

I generally try to push out an hero altar within the first 4 workers I'm given as well as a barracks. I push those out with 3-4 grunts and a hero and go start taking down the green camps while pushing out a grunt every so often to bolster up the force to take down camps faster while still producing buildings, burrows, and resources. I generally upgrade my "fort" by my hero is level 3 and usually try to claim an "attribute" of a hero that I don't already have, so I have a balanced force. I try to get one of the heroes from the middle, but if thats not an option I use something from my altar.

I'll try your advice on the shamans & spirit breakers.

Stood in the Fire ArMeD_SuRvIvOr's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Angarin View Post
    I normally just random a race. I've always favored orc/undead usually though.

I generally try to push out an hero altar within the first 4 workers I'm given as well as a barracks. I push those out with 3-4 grunts and a hero and go start taking down the green camps while pushing out a grunt every so often to bolster up the force to take down camps faster while still producing buildings, burrows, and resources. I generally upgrade my "fort" by my hero is level 3 and usually try to claim an "attribute" of a hero that I don't already have, so I have a balanced force. I try to get one of the heroes from the middle, but if thats not an option I use something from my altar.

I'll try your advice on the shamans & spirit breakers.

I meant taurens + spirit breakers (to revive your lost taurens and spirit link!) plus shamans for blood lust will mop the floor against any ground army.

EDIT: As for an orc opening, I recommend 4 peons to gold, 1 to burrow. 6th peon goes to altar, 7th peon to barracks, 8th to burrow, 9th to gold. For your second hero, get the shadow hunter. Helps a lot since healing for orc sucks. Also provides crowd control in the form of Hex. Upgrade your "fort" early; do not wait until your main hero is lvl 3... by then it will be too late. At tier 2, build double Beastiary and spam some raiders; they are awesome vs air, awesome vs buildings and light armor units. Remember to keep at least 6-7 peons on lumber (if not a bit more) since orcs are wood hungry.
    Last edited by ArMeD_SuRvIvOr; 2013-08-27 at 03:52 AM.
    Really sucks if they start to limit their vision for an expansion just to get the next one out faster.
    BLOOD DPS. Never forget. Still campaigning to get you back, babe.

Quote Originally Posted by slackjawsix View Post
    watch some sc2 games, may pick up some stuff that is applicable to wc3
    No shit, SC2 taught me basic micro, now I am steamrolling through the campaign (undead swarm hosts ftw).

I actually gave starcraft 2 starter edition a good try tonight. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm going to have to purchase it soon because it was so much fun. I still enjoy wc3, but I feel once I fall behind, I'm behind for good.

I do wish sc2 had a hero mechanic though like wc3, but regardless the game was still very fun. Even though it was only very easy bot, building up a giant terran army and rofl stomping through it was entertaining. Took an hour :3

I actually gave starcraft 2 starter edition a good try tonight. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I'm going to have to purchase it soon because it was so much fun. I still enjoy wc3, but I feel once I fall behind, I'm behind for good.

I do wish sc2 had a hero mechanic though like wc3, but regardless the game was still very fun. Even though it was only very easy bot, building up a giant terran army and rofl stomping through it was entertaining. Took an hour :3
    If you play through the Heart of the Swarm campaign Kerrigan is sort of a hero unit. She doesnt level up the same way the heroes do in WC3 but its pretty important to do if you want to be able to complete later missions.

Personally I hate that mechanic. It puts too much emphasis on one single unit that you have to micromanage the whole time and in WC3 since you cant have huge armies to overwhelm the other hero, you cant just ignore building your own. RTS with large armies are usually better.

10+ Year Old Account
    remember to bind groups of units/heroes/buildings using shift + # keys
    Quote Originally Posted by Zombiebob
    I'm still waiting on someone to tell me where all these people that suddenly care about Warrior balance were during Cataclysm when they were blow up dolls with plate armor on.
    Quote Originally Posted by cutterx2202 View Post
    Stop complaining to solve your lack of ability, and start reading and practicing to gain ability. Stop trying to bring people down to your level instead of striving to raise yours.

I found it doable to get okay at the game with no keybinds. Just gotta keep trying OP. Personally I never figured out how to keybind inn the game? Not really sure why, just didn't seem very accesible.

AOE2 on the other hand, similar RTS to SC2, I keybinded quit abit inn, and it makes the gameplay soooooo much faster compared to clicking...its a hole other game
    Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/djuntas ARPG - RTS - MMO

15+ Year Old Account
    * try to use hotkeys more often. for example instead of clicking on "build" button and then selecting "farm" just presst B then F (if i remember correctly.) the yellow words on the names indicate their hotkey.

* try to use groups. for example select your riflemen and then ctril+1 will group them as "group 1" meaning whenever you press 1 you automatically select your riflemen.

* use abilities mid fight. this can be achieved via learning how to hotkey effectively. for instance if you're playing human and have a paladin hero, upon creeping you can quickly press L and select your wounded footmen in order for you paladin to holy light the footman.

* if you have different units selected you can switch between their interface by pressing the TAB key. for example you have a paladin, a sorcerer and a footman selected. you want to cast your sorcerer's polymorph. so instead of finding her on the screen, clicking her and selecting her polymorph and then move the mouse over to your target just TAB to switch to her then use the polymorph hotkey and then select the target.

* try to use the secondary goldmine. most maps in campaign have unused goldmines in them, they are not just for show so try to capture them ASAP.

* try to kill enemy heroes. this is true in skirmish games, try to use your melee forces to kill their low level hero (at the start of the game) while keeping them AND your hero alive. a dead hero cannot level up and once you have killed their hero you can easily kill enemy units to level your hero up.

* use waypoint markers. (DONT KNOW THE EXACT NAME FOR THIS.) many people spend time clicking on their units, wait for them reach their destination then click on the next destination. for example you want your footman to move to position X and then Y and then Z, and you want it to do it in the exact order.

NOTE : you can also use shift for building waypoints, so that the newly created units will move to location A,B,C and then D.

instead of clicking, waiting, clicking,waiting... just use the SHIFT key and click on positions X,Y and Z. this is called "waypointing" i think meaning that your unit will move from his current location to X then Y then Z.
    ------

because enemy AI is usually a multitasker it's easier if you just defeat it somewhere between early game to mid-game. this can be achieved by rushing, meaning attacking their base with a few units and harras it until the hero and the units are dead. but this is not for begineers, try to learn hotkeying and grouping first. (note: buildings can also be grouped.)
    Last edited by Gamevizier; 2013-08-27 at 07:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Prokne View Post
    If you play through the Heart of the Swarm campaign Kerrigan is sort of a hero unit. She doesnt level up the same way the heroes do in WC3 but its pretty important to do if you want to be able to complete later missions.

Personally I hate that mechanic. It puts too much emphasis on one single unit that you have to micromanage the whole time and in WC3 since you cant have huge armies to overwhelm the other hero, you cant just ignore building your own. RTS with large armies are usually better.
    I do admit the army thing. I had alot more fun basically having no cap to my army as long as I built enough for the limit and it seems like I could build enough and command them all in one keystroke.

Get out heroes asap. Just drop that altar right when the game starts.

Go after creeps and level your hero up.

Be cautious in engagements. Pull weak units back, kill them to deny exp if they're trapped.

When engaging, aim to kill their hero. Against AI its pretty easy to trap them with your melee units and just focus them down with your ranged.

Use shops a lot. Buy HP regen potions. If you're playing TFT drop down your shop after you build your rax / supply. Use salves to regen your units HP.

Multiplayer is where it's at for StarCraft. SC2 is the best RTS game since SC:BW. You should try it. No game is more mentally exhausting to play but it feels so good when you simply crush your opponent with raw mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    Multiplayer is where it's at for StarCraft. SC2 is the best RTS game since SC:BW. You should try it. No game is more mentally exhausting to play but it feels so good when you simply crush your opponent with raw mechanic.
    The sheer breadth of knowledge necessary to get anywhere is nearly as overwhelming as that of WoW though. And I'm not willing to put in as much time into an RTS as I did an MMO. That's the only issue I have with it personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15