Thread: Timing Ret CDs

10+ Year Old Account

Timing Ret CDs

Hi

I play PVE ret, and am spec'd for [Holy Avenger]
    armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...Khirrah/simple
    I've read that [Sanctified Wrath] is a slightly bigger dps increase, but I prefer the HA playstyle.
    As it stands, my "blow-the-fuck-up" macro looks like this...

/startattack
    /use Avenging Wrath
    /use Holy Avenger
    /use Kafa Press
    (10m CD, 4,000 haste, bottomless pot)
    /use Potion of Mogu Power (For when Kafa Press is on CD)
    /use Execution Sentence

Now, when I start a fight, here's how I open up.

1. Pre-pot
    2. Build 3 holy power, use Inquisition
    3. Pop GoAK
    4. Pop dps macro approximately 9 seconds after GoAK (Execution Sentence popped simultaneously)

Execution Sentence's damage, being increased upon having more strength, would be much more effective if used during the last 10 seconds of GoAK..in addition to all the other shit going on in the dps macro. Please correct me if I'm wrong about this. I'll remove Execution Sentence from the macro if I'm correct.

Would love to hear from any other rets about how they manage their initial dps CDs; more specifically, at the beginning of the fight. In 5.4, GoAK will be a 3 minute CD..something else to take into consideration when plotting CD usage in the upcoming patch.

Proper CD timing is important for any dps class. Post your CD macros, and tell me how you open up.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...Ret-Fix-my-DPS!
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-4-CD-Rotation
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...n-to-drop-them

Those are all existing threads with a good bit of replies just on the first 2 pages. You're better off posting in those (specifically the "Fix my DPS" one), to be honest.

In regards to specific issues, I'd recommend macro'ing in HoW into your HA/AW macro as well. That way, your first press gives you Wings, HA, pot AND a HoW for 3 HoPo, all on one keystroke. I don't macro in ES, as I have that on a separate bind (linked to gloves) since I sync that up with Feather/Spark procs. Obviously you want to overlap trinkets/enchants with Wings and GoAK stacks as much as possible, so manual control is superior in the world of RPPM.

Also, if you have 4pc t15, you'd likely be better served by SW (as you already know) due to interaction with Exo and CS usage, which is usually pushed back/avoided with HA (HoW, TV, J/Exo, TV, repeat). Getting those 4pc TV's under CD's is huge.

Also, you're better off manually potting ~5 sec into GoAK rather than linking with Wings, as you lose approx 20% of the potion/CD synergy with the way your macro is written.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malthanis View Post
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    If it was that easy don't you think we would have figured that out? (Source)
    20k and counting...

Deleted
    Generally speaking, making every CD/skill separate keybind is a best way to go. There were/are fights and situations when u want to separate CDs - personally I'm using only synapse springs echant+ES macro and separate bind for rest.

Quote Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
    Also, you're better off manually potting ~5 sec into GoAK rather than linking with Wings, as you lose approx 20% of the potion/CD synergy with the way your macro is written.
    Not to mention the second time you use this macro in a fight you'll pot again, when you're best served to use it with your second GoAK.

Quote Originally Posted by Revvo View Post
    Not to mention the second time you use this macro in a fight you'll pot again, when you're best served to use it with your second GoAK.
    Right. If anything, I'd say macro'ing it to GoAk in a "in=5, use Potion of Mogu Power" type thing would be ideal (if those even still work) if you just HAVE to macro it. But really it's better to just not be lazy
    We'll all be appropriately shocked/amazed when Nairobi actually gets an avatar, but until then, let's try to not derail the thread heckling him about it.
    20k and counting...

Deleted
    Right. If anything, I'd say macro'ing it to GoAk in a "in=5, use Potion of Mogu Power" type thing would be ideal (if those even still work) if you just HAVE to macro it. But really it's better to just not be lazy
    /in only works with chat and requires a specific script addon.

there is no way to automate stuff like delays and if conditionals, since you cannot change anything from the UI which allows you to cast a spell in combat. this includes keybinds, bar setups, bar paging (except through verified bar addons like bartender) and macros.

better drop that holy avenger next tier or you're gonna RiP

Quote Originally Posted by nzall View Post
    /in only works with chat and requires a specific script addon.

there is no way to automate stuff like delays and if conditionals, since you cannot change anything from the UI which allows you to cast a spell in combat. this includes keybinds, bar setups, bar paging (except through verified bar addons like bartender) and macros.
    Figured as much. Most any of that automation is broken now, which is for the better IMO, even though it's still easily doable with keyboard macro buttons.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    better drop that holy avenger next tier or you're gonna RiP
    I don't keep up with Ret anymore, but I know that HA is taking a dive (moreso than already). Assuming SW is best, but does DP make a comeback if/when you get 4pc?
    20k and counting...

I don't keep up with Ret anymore, but I know that HA is taking a dive (moreso than already). Assuming SW is best, but does DP make a comeback if/when you get 4pc?
    Yes DP dps is fully sustained next tier bonus. CD requirement removed to keep up removed mostly.

HoW is going to lose ALOT of power with infrequent guardian lineups and guardian nerfs and delays are pretty a fairly worthless idea considering guardians damage and delays on the 66% lower cooldown that you will end up losing one with too many delays.

Spell still scales amazing. TV should pass it in pure power when we hit 70 THOUSAND weapon damage levels with just a heroic/HTF wpn which SHOULD be pretty easy considering we get FOUR boss weapon drops and the garrosh personal weapon loot without having to worry about 1% drop random weapon bullshit. Alot better odds then Council worthless rating weapon or bust Pre-Lei shenH

TV may be passing it now or even. Hard to tell with holy TV's currently in play.
    Last edited by anaxie; 2013-08-29 at 07:51 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by anaxie View Post
    heroic/HTF wpn
    I doubt there's any reason for having thunderforged in Siege of Orgrimmar. They'll think of something, anyway.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRaven View Post
    I doubt there's any reason for having thunderforged in Siege of Orgrimmar. They'll think of something, anyway.
    Warforged is the new thunderforged.