Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    yeah, I think we are only hearing 1 side to this story, I have a 16, 18 and 21 year old, they were all A/B students in school and had hardly any homework at all.

My 21 year old son was GM for a raiding guild at 16, he was the biggest prick (if you messed up he called you on it - no sugar coating) on the server but when someone wanted a raid leader they were asking for him....

I can't understand how someone would need 2 weeks to study for an exam.

Quote Originally Posted by azwesjr View Post
    yeah, I think we are only hearing 1 side to this story, I have a 16, 18 and 21 year old, they were all A/B students in school and had hardly any homework at all.

My 21 year old son was GM for a raiding guild at 16, he was the biggest prick (if you messed up he called you on it - no sugar coating) on the server but when someone wanted a raid leader they were asking for him....

2 weeks OF exams, a whole 2 weeks, and on those weeks I'm not allowed to play, but only study.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisisvacant View Post
    Just remember that the bricks you lay today in early education will be a house someday.

The bricks you lay in World of Warcraft are nonexistant.
    Except all the ones that actually do exist such as learning leadership skills, time management, problem solving and quite a few others. Just because it is a game doesn't mean it somehow lacks any benefits.

It does seem rather unreasonable that you were kicked but you probably would be better off finding a better guild anyways. If your GM can't get their head out of their ass long enough to realize that people have priorities then you really don't want to be around them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigbamboozal View Post
    Intelligence is like four wheel drive, it's not going to make you unstoppable, it just sort of tends to get you stuck in more remote places.
    Quote Originally Posted by MerinPally View Post
    If you want to be disgusted, next time you kiss someone remember you've got your mouth on the end of a tube which has shit at the other end, held back by a couple of valves.

A lot of people are either saying blow off the rejection or screw him he's a jerk. That won't help you understand why this happened.

Looking at it with the very limited information you've given us, this is what I'm reading into it:
    One day, out of the blue, you spoke to your GM and said "hey, I'm suddenly unable to play WoW for 2 weeks starting tomorrow." No warning, no communication.
    You've been with the guild less than 3 months and suddenly you're going AWOL for a fortnight for something that you've known about for at least a year (exams are very rarely posted at the last minute, and I'm sure after 16 years you've known what your father is like - generally people who use Father over Dad tend to have stricter parents).

Now, it could be the GM has had difficulties with raid members up and leaving without warning, it could be he didn't like you. We'll probably never know the full extent as to this. Could you have handled this better? I'm sure you could've, except the fact you're 16. And no 16 year old plans ahead for things they don't want to do haha.

What you probably want to do is be annoyed at the stupidity of this, then realise as many people are telling you it will happen again (people reacting in a manner you don't quite understand) and there's really nothing you can do except cope with it.

Good luck with your exams, and when you return to WoW in just 2 weeks, I'm sure there will be raiding opportunities for you. Also feel free to ask your previous GM why he felt a need to remove you since it's obviously NOT just over this. It may assist you in the future.

This is why most guilds ask for 18+ year olds, from the way it seems it's less hes kicking you for asking for 2 weeks away and more that you don't have control off your own actions. If I was a guild leader and was told by a member that they couldn't raid because there Dad said so, then I would kick them to if you don't have control over your own time you don't really have a place in these sort of things.

Either grow some balls and tell ure dad that you can manage ure own time or don't raid until ure out of his grip.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by azwesjr View Post
    Horses for courses. At 16, my son took about 2 months to study for his exams and we (his parents) thought he was slacking. He did do very well, though.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SausageRawr View Post
    A little of a back-story: I'm a full time student, I'm 16 and just about to have yearly examinations in less than a week, my father is strict on me and my education and he's told me that I wont be able to play WoW for the next 2 weeks so I can study for these exams.

So last night, I spoke to my guild leader, I've been in this raiding guild for about 2-3 months on a pretty low populated server. We've finished ToT on normal, killed Lei Shen most of the time, so we are extremely capable of doing SOO, my father spoke to me and gave me a lecture on the whole "Do you want to succeed in life?" and what not..., I realize that this is pretty important, so I told my guild leader that I would have to be gone for 2 weeks, I would be back before the new patch hits. There are many stand-by's in the guild, and have the gear and the skill to be able to raid ToT, we are clearing ToT every week doing Heroics at the same time, however I always have to be on despite my examinations within the next 2 weeks.

We spoke on ventrilo, and he was pretty kind about it, straight up that I've been incapable these past few weeks and I need to have much better time management, but I think it's extrememly unfair that this much stress has to be carried on my shoulders... He kicked me from the guild, full stop, even after I told him all that's going on.

Wanted to get your opinions on this...
    Doesn't matter what you have going on irl. If you can't keep up with the demands, you have to be replaced. Regardless of reason.

your in a casual guild just like me. find a new guild. that gm is a jackass it sounds like. I miss raids due to work unexpectantly. just had surgery and he was cool with it. zero problems. transfer to another realm

10+ Year Old Account
    I dont know what kind of guild you are in but i never seen someone being kicked (why not demote to casual?) from the guild for the reason youve stated so im assuming the following: 1) you just started your trial and lied to him 2) you are a douche abd/or terrible

Deleted
    Why would it matter if you're just saying "I don't feel like raiding today" or "I can't, I really can't <enter valid reason here>"

Your lack of attendance hits the guild as hard regardless of reason.

maybe he is being good guy GM and making sure you don't play by kicking you ^^

Deleted
    maybe not helpfull but better now then later: DUDE LIFE SUCKS DEAL WITH IT. It will not get better trust me.

btw if you dont fit into that guild/the guild doesnt want you anmore you should switch to a new one anyways

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Your ex guild leader aounds like an arse.

Glad my parents arn't so strict atleast not yet anywho... ( I'm going to collage in a week or so... Atleast i think i am.)
    However i won't be able to raid next patch due to my raiding guild randomly disbanding, so i feel your pain.

Your GM did you a favor you should have done for yourself. You are in a casual guild as a casual player and trying to be HC. You aren't.

Log off and study.

P.S. the biggest favor your Dad can grant you is pull your internet.

P.P.S. this is the very definition of first world problem. H!F!S! I only make $150k/year and my GM is telling me to get srs or he'll kick me but my boss says I need to be there 35 hours a week or he'll kick me! What should I do?!?
    Last edited by Ayonel; 2013-08-28 at 11:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mistahwilshire View Post
    High School is like a 4 year long GED test in the US. It's a joke.
    My AP courses were more difficult than my college courses...

OP--I'm confused as to why you'd only need 2 weeks off from raiding, sounds like you have other things to worry about. Your GM did you a favor--get your irl stuff in order and worry about WoW later. The game's not going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarella View Post
    Good luck with your exams, and when you return to WoW in just 2 weeks, I'm sure there will be raiding opportunities for you. Also feel free to ask your previous GM why he felt a need to remove you since it's obviously NOT just over this. It may assist you in the future.
    This. Without actually speaking to the person, you can only make assumptions why you were removed.

I've kicked people accidentally before. I've also seen people get hacked and have their guild ransacked and emptied of players.

Quite often though, I will kick people 'for their benefit'. If the guild isn't for them, its best they're on their way and not clinging to some hope that everything else will change around them. A 16 year old that needs to focus on his studies in a 'serious raiding guild' might fit that bill. Personally, I would have just removed him from the raiding roster, but without speaking to the guildleader, who knows ?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Megamisama View Post
    Doesn't matter what you have going on irl. If you can't keep up with the demands, you have to be replaced. Regardless of reason.
    Replaced for a raidspot, but why a gkick unless there is something wrong with him.

Quote Originally Posted by h4n4 View Post
    btw if you dont fit into that guild/the guild doesnt want you anmore you should switch to a new one anyways
    This is true, also it is possible like others said that the GM kicked you to try to encourage you focusing on school over WoW, it all depends on how your relationship with the GM was.

Don't take it too personally, if it makes you feel better, when 5.2 came out I got kicked from my guild that I was in since it was formed during the end of Wrath because I transferred my alt to another server to raid with a friend

Quote Originally Posted by Megamisama View Post
    Why would it matter if you're just saying "I don't feel like raiding today" or "I can't, I really can't <enter valid reason here>"

Your lack of attendance hits the guild as hard regardless of reason.
    then you don't know what real life is do you? it will just get worse. I have a steady job mon-fri and stuff still comes up. the GM is a jackass. grow up

10+ Year Old Account
    Can we see your logs? I know I wouldn't kick a good raider if real life crept up for a couple weeks.

It's hard to say no to Yoo-Hoo chocolate drinks...the name literally beckons.
    Tactical Disaster - Stormrage-US
    16/16 Heroic T14
    10/13 Heroic T15