Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Soloing, when did it start?

Hi there,

as the soloing community has been growing extremly and everyone seems to fear the item squish, I just wanted to ask, when did the massive soloing of old content start? I'm pretty sure during TBC it was nearly impossible to solo any raid content (I had a level 70 mage with T4 and when I tried soloing BRD, I just got kicked my ass) or am I missing something? And as a second question: when did you personally start to solo old (raid) content?

Bye
    Keashaa

Deleted
    I started soloing in BC and killed Arlokk in Zul Gurub with a Prot Paladin.
    Back then I needed 5 shields to fight the durability loss

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    I remember solo-ing the first boss in the Slave Pens on heroic on my hunter. On level 70. Was a lot jumping on ridges but it was fun to do so. Also back then i soloed some lower level instances like LBRS en UBRS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Soloing in general? Soloing has been around since Vanilla. Remember watching a Hunter, think it was Hunter vs. "insert boss/dungeon" series, solo Vanilla bosses and H BC bosses.

I started soloing stuff in BC on my Paladin. Remember having to wait for all CDs to beat Baron in Strat and wating the 1 HR CD for LoH when I died.

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember that it was possible to solo the fire elemental boss in BRD on lvl 60, Lord Incendius, at least as warlock, since I did that a couple of times to grind my fire resi bracers back then. Was a bit tricky getting there though, jumping out of windows to avoid trashpacks and stuff. That wasn't old content though, so dunno if this is on topic ^^

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tmbryant91 View Post
    Soloing in general? Soloing has been around since Vanilla. Remember watching a Hunter, think it was Hunter vs. "insert boss/dungeon" series, solo Vanilla bosses and H BC bosses.

Aaah yeah, i remember those. Those were some high quality movies (as in content 'n suff). Sadly he/she stopped doing that half way through TBC.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard isn't going to make it impossible to solo all the old encounters.

I'm sure the balance will change. Some will be easier, some will be harder, et cetera. But WoW is not one of those games like chess that is better if it never changes.

I soloed SM graveyard (it was a lvl 30ish instance back then) around level 40 on my druid back in vanilla :P

Was farming the spirits there for my 100g for my mount, blizzard nerfed the crap out of that so i tried to solo the instance proper and it worked :P
    Couldn't kill some of the trash pulls, but did kill the 2 bosses.

Now get of my lawn!

Soloing has been around forever. It wasn't raids in vanilla obviously, but it was other things like dungeons. I remember killing a dire maul boss on my mage by jumping on and off a wall making him walk back and forth, feeling like a pro. It was also decent gold back then.

Deleted
    I remember a warlock or hunter soloing some part of dire maul in vanilla for epic cash.

Vanilla. A paladin solo'd Doomlord Kazzak a 40 man raid world boss in a effort to prove just how broken reckoning was. I would definitely say this is one of the earliest soloing something attempts.

I think most people really started soling stuff in wrath (even if you had to use your tank gear but in your DPS spec) and by the time cata rolled around most stuff could be solo'd by most classes.
    Last edited by Cernunnos; 2013-08-29 at 07:14 AM.
    My name is Cernunnos, I will love you like no other, I have died a thousand deaths, each time I died I thought of you.

I think late BC early wrath. I started soloing MC in ICC gear. Baron and Rag were the only remotely hard ones but we had intercept back then so no biggie. I did have to use enraged regen though. I didn't have to wait for Lucifrons debuff when I got to Gehenna. I did have to wait for his debuff though before I faced Garr. sulfuron was a bit tricky aswell.
    I had to pop reck and go fury for scholo though for those mobs who went immune to physical damage at a certain time or % of health but sometimes I could burst them down before it happened.

Wrath is probably when people started to solo a lot of raid bosses. BC wasn't really that much of a jump in power and many vanilla raids were 40 player so out of reach.
    I started soloing with Onyxia in Wrath in t7 then MC, ZG and by the end of it Kara ...As for soloing "stuff" since forever.

As for the item squish they already said it will hardly have any impact on soloing so nothing much to worry imo.
    Warlock soloing https://www.youtube.com/user/Firedemon012 (old & abandoned)

Watch the "hunter Vs world" #1-7

Wrath, probably. Of course certain skilled players had been soloing since Vanilla. But I think it was Cata that made soloing something everyone and their mom did, since the huge increase in HP made a ton of old dungeon/raid mechanics ignorable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Soloing has been around since the first person hit level 25 and thought "Yeah, I think I could take Ragefire."

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Under the boardwalk, Down by the sea. Melbourne, Aus
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaim View Post
    Watch the "hunter Vs world" #1-7
    That helped me push the boundary of what i could and couldn't solo for sure.

I remember the first major soloing I saw was a rogue who went and soloed several bits of classic raid content back in BC to prove how powerful the dodging ability was for rogues. Think it led to blizzard making major game changes to keep buffs under control. I remember the video of the Rogue soloing Onyxia back at level 70 clearly before WoLK was even in beta.

The Patient
    15+ Year Old Account
    "I wonder if I can slow and or CC that elite over there..."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cernunnos View Post
    Vanilla. A paladin solo'd Doomlord Kazzak a 40 man raid world boss in a effort to prove just how broken reckoning was. I would definitely say this is one of the earliest soloing something attempts.
    Ah yes, the Reckoning Bomb. I remember that.