Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Leviatharan View Post
    and volunteering Theramore as a location for a peace summit. She only devoted herself entirely to the Alliance cause after Garrosh blew Theramore up.
    Despite that, Theramore was always part of the Alliance, and its forces were activly attacking the Horde in the Barrens and Durotar during Cataclysm
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

Yeah, it actually was for the most part. Jaina and Thrall had an even stronger truce going on than some of the Horde races did (to the point of being shipper-ific), and for the most part tried to stay out of the conflict between the Alliance and Horde, even trying to be a mediator between Thrall and Varian (ruined somewhat by Garrosh) and volunteering Theramore as a location for a peace summit. She only devoted herself entirely to the Alliance cause after Garrosh blew Theramore up.

It was being guarded heavily by Alliance officers because of the harbor, and nothing more.
    To be fair, Theramore is pretty heavily involved with the Alliance offensive in the Southern Barrens.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Pretty much when blizzard changed his story half way in and make him do a 180

Quote Originally Posted by Taqaroph View Post
    So i'm lvl'ing a blood elf atm and just finished the Stonetalon questline, and I'm wandering does blizzard have just very bad character development or did I miss something?

This is the dialogue after you drop the bomb on some druid base:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4RTB5LxJ0U
    Can someone explain to me how he became from this crude but honorable warchief to this?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slzQOyS5TqQ

Blizzard pretty much stated that he is not corrupted or influenced in any case so wtf?
    Simple, Garrosh was simply waiting for the opportune moment to strike and before this he made an example of whoever "failed" him to instill fear and respect in those around him by the example.

Keep in mind that after the Bomb was dropped he also ready to cut off your head. This same thing happens after Ashenvale with Garrosh and in the Kun'Lai Summit when he threatens the Blood Elf for "Reminding him that the Mogu was needed alive" to learn the location of the Divine Bell. He has manipulated the Horde this way. Now as a united group the other Members of the Horde have made it clear they will not live in fear of their own government he is keeping his old promise.

So again to sum up he hasn't changed. The only ones who have changed is the Horde who are finally tired of his bullshit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gobra View Post
    Yeah people also seem to think that everything that happens in WoW, quests etc seem to happen all on the same day, They reference this stonelaton quest like it happend 4hours before he got the heart into the vale, People need to realise that the quests and story in WoW is over a long time span, and plenty of people change over time, and if you look, you can see it.
    Each expansion takes place over a year. So from the beginning of Cata to now is almost 2 years.

Originally Posted by Chris Metzen
    Alright. So, Deathwings death to Theramore's event is a year?
    More like DW death till end of Pandaria is a year. (Source)

it has all gone a bit mental.

like in the SoO cinematic where he kicks the heart into the vale (killing Zhu in the process) killing large amounts of neutral panderen and probably horde and Alliance alike in the process because.. errr.. he thought it would be fun at the time?
    BASIC CAMPFIRE for WARCHIEF UK Prime Minister!

Why can't people just say the very simple answer: Because of poor storytelling

Blizzard never knew what they wanted with Garrosh

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by McNeil View Post
    Why can't people just say the very simple answer: Because of poor storytelling

Blizzard never knew what they wanted with Garrosh
    They plan out the story multiple expansions ahead... They had MoP's broad strokes planned out since at least WotLK.

Paul Sams in March 2012: "I got the pitch from Chris Metzen of what they plan for 6.0 and I'm pretty geeked up about it. They already know what they're going to be doing for multiple expansions ahead."
    Last edited by Aquamonkey; 2013-08-29 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    Some quotes, in their defense, have been really iffy though. For example, when MoP was getting released, there was a quote saying not to worry because anything they'd ever done with Pandaren before then was just for short stories or jokes. They also claimed their plan with MoP was to not have a big bad; I can't recall exactly when that quote was from, but it was sometime during Cataclysm. So to have planned multiple expansions, but tell us two things that are clearly not true is a bit misleading.

I do believe they have multiple expansions planned out in advance. Just I feel they deliberately tell us a lot that isn't true to try and make it a 'surprise' when it happens. No big bad of MoP my ass, anyone could have seen Garrosh as the main bad guy from 5.0.
    Things change. They didn't know what to do for the end of MoP and they decided on finishing the Garrosh story because it wasn't really working anyway.

10+ Year Old Account
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    For example, there are several people in this thread asserting that the entire concept of the Siege of Orgrimmar is flawed from a story perspective, particularly for the Alliance. Well, we knew Siege of Orgrimmar would be the final raid of Mists of Pandaria before the expansion was revealed at BlizzCon 2011, and the story framework for how we'd get there was already more or less in place. So, even when we do react directly to feedback about story concerns, we're looking much more at the big picture here, and what stories we want to tell and how they should unfold over the course of several patches (or even expansions).

We can make some tweaks and refine some story arcs along the way, but regardless of the discussions taking place right now, the 5.4 story is set. It has been for quite some time. That's in big contrast to the aspects of systems design that draw the most discussion (i.e. mainly class balance). (Source)

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Sure, he was willing to do what he needed to preserve the Horde, but he was beginning to see why Thrall wanted to avert a war.
    Unlikely, Garrosh had started to consider Thrall too timid and pacifistic within his first week or two within the Horde

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rogueMatthias View Post
    (killing Zhu in the process) he thought it would be fun at the time?
    Taran Zhu isnt dead, just wounded and captive
    And he did it to 'awaken' the Heart and to lure the armies of the world
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

Quote Originally Posted by Taqaroph View Post
    So i'm lvl'ing a blood elf atm and just finished the Stonetalon questline, and I'm wandering does blizzard have just very bad character development or did I miss something?

This is the dialogue after you drop the bomb on some druid base:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4RTB5LxJ0U
    Can someone explain to me how he became from this crude but honorable warchief to this?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=slzQOyS5TqQ

Blizzard pretty much stated that he is not corrupted or influenced in any case so wtf?
    I'm still trying to figure out where he became a barbarian in the first place.

As I wrote it in another thread prior:

Step 1) Garrosh: "Waaaaah! My father dishonored the Orcs!"
    Step 2) Thrall: "No... in the end your father saved our race and is a hero"
    Step 3) Garrosh: "really!? YAY!!!!"
    Step 4) ????
    Step 5) Garrosh: "DEATH TO THE ALLIANCE DOGS!!!!!"

The answer to this and your question is sadly probably very very simple... sloppy writing.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    He jumped from mopey and pathetic in TBC, to brash and impulsive in Wrath
    Its a jmup, but its one that makes sense
    Garrosh is a Hellscream, which he means he has to be head strong and aggressive, only reason he wsnt in Nagrand was because of the legacy of his father. So once Thrall takes that burden off him guess whats left?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mvallas View Post
    Step 5) Garrosh: "DEATH TO THE ALLIANCE DOGS!!!!!"
    He feelings toward the Alliance stem from them defeating and enslaving his people during the Second War. And they being the primary obstacle to the level of power/glory/prosperity he feels the Horde deserves

10+ Year Old Account
    He has had a pretty cool character development if you look at the entire warcraft series as a whole.

Some of his motivations in MoP however have left me wondering how they connect the dots as to what made him turn, to the darkside.
    Hi

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    Some of his motivations in MoP however have left me wondering how they connect the dots as to what made him turn, to the darkside.
    "because good is dumb"

Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    His people being the Orcs, the vast majority of whom agree with his mentality and methods.
    I'm pretty sure the vast majority don't agree with him... There are by far more player orcs than NPC orcs, and at least half of the NPC orcs don't agree with him but are forced into servitude.

Quote Originally Posted by Anarchor View Post
    The most important thing that this expansion teaches us is that the Horde is superiour to the Alliance military-wise, or at least the Warsong are.

Just think of it. Everyone shitting their pants because Warsong kicked everyone's asses on Pandaria and even managed to conquer the Vale? If the Horde hadn't turned on itself the Alliance would've been defeated and everyone would've ended up impaled on the docks of Stormwind apparently.

All hail Warsong, is what I've to say to that.
    First of all, the Horde didn't turn on itself. Garrosh's view is not what the Horde is or has ever been about. He essentially seceded from the Horde and formed the "True Horde", which is a completely different organization. Secondly, Garrosh and his followers' powers are gained by exploiting Pandaria, such as the Sha as well as artifacts and resources taken from Pandaria. Their raw/base power is nowhere near what it currently is thanks to the power they've been imbued with.

If u look at all the psichological factors it's all a wonderful story. When one has a life of torment be it phisical of psichological or both no matter the age, as an adult there are 2 MAJOR ways one can end up:

1. a person that understands pain and wants the world to have no more of that (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanitarianism) -> Thrall
    2. a person that feels so broken in emotions, ego that he/she does everything to pump up his ego in a never-ending race (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychopath); the problem with this one is that he/she might not even be aware of this and attempts to rationalize (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rationa...ing_excuses)); and funny stuff happens when power is given to them be it leadership, guns or Gorehowl :P

So the way i personally see it is that Thrall supposed that Garrosh would act just like him because they shared a past of suffering. BIG MISTAKE (as Thrall says in the sound files).

10+ Year Old Account
    The moment your character turns in the first breadcrumb Grummle trail quest in Kun'lai. That's the moment Garrosh, sitting back in Orgrimmar, turns evil.

Seriously though, I think blizzard "intended" to give him a somewhat natural story progression into being a dictator... though at the end of Cataclysm, he was on the path to being a somewhat honorable character, as noted in that quest.

Honestly, if they wanted to drive Garrosh into being more of an "understandable" madman... they should have had the Alliance forces start to majorly curbstomp the horde throughout Azeroth or have the Alliance act in some instance of actual aggression, giving Garrosh an actual NEED to adopt some "desperate measures."

Anyway, MoP was not originally intended to be the xpac after Cataclysm. I think it's fairly likely that Blizz intended to "round out" Garrosh over the course of whatever expansion would come in the middle to give him a slower decent into "villainhood," if they even intended to progress along that path at all.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/game/lor...h-hellscream/1

This is the link to official Blizzards short story. Released shortly before MoP.

15+ Year Old Account
    Corrupted by the Sha of Pride.
    Dragonflight: Grand Marshal Hottage
    PC Specs: Ryzen 7 7800X3D | ASUS ROG STRIX B650E-I | 32GB 6000Mhz DDR5 | NZXT Kraken 120
    Inno3D RTX 4080 iChill | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB | NZXT H200 | Corsair SF750 | Windows 11 Pro
    Razer Basilisk Ultimate | Razer Blackwidow V3 | ViewSonic XG2730 | Steam Deck 1TB OLED