Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Old raid scaling and rewards

Like many, I look forward to old raids scaling up/down. Personally I feel we should scale down to the content allowing people leveling a chance to raid way before max level. With Blizz stating the infrastructure to allow this is in place but they aren't sure how to use it. I came to thinking around the now diminished powers of the Bronze Dragons. Maybe all old raids should be instanced in a way that allows them to tie in the Bronze dragonflight.

Hear me out :

Without the power to see to the future the Bronze's make some excuse about great leylines of power ascending from all the deeds we have done. Allowing us to travel back to these major raids and re-experience them. (Perhaps with a twist; Ulduar style hardmode comes to mind if dev time allows)

A new or retrofitted reputation that allows for old raids to be Challenge Raids for the dedicated and Flex mode for the beer league.
    Defeating end bosses would unlock lore snippets (ie end of Molten core a cutscene of Rag being banished back to firelands and being all mad about it Defeating Nef would show a cutscene of Deathwing rezzing him for cata. Perhaps some of the book lore could be given as cutscenes to fill in the non readers. Along with transmog gear and various vanity/archaeology style items . The gear rewards would drop as normal but with a chance of dropping *Timescaled* (A current ilvl piece). Perhaps heirlooms which would be class/spec specific with a common theme. Along with this the challenge modes would feature redesigned transmog gear for the best times.

Personally I don't see the need for rewards as need for this technology to be part of the future of wow's old content I would use it regardless, but I understand how Blizz feels it would be pointless to integrate content with no progression. I'm no game dev and I'm sure many of you will shoot this down but I feel that Blizz should allow us some way to enjoy old content with challenge. This would mean the content is available to all and could become a nice meta game of being a true raid hero!

Anyway shoot me down and be douchebags or Add ideas and contribute to the general theme of *Timescaled* raiding or some bronze-dragon like name.

Quote Originally Posted by pathetic View Post
    Like many, I look forward to old raids scaling up/down. Personally I feel we should scale down to the content allowing people leveling a chance to raid way before max level. With Blizz stating the infrastructure to allow this is in place but they aren't sure how to use it. I came to thinking around the now diminished powers of the Bronze Dragons. Maybe all old raids should be instanced in a way that allows them to tie in the Bronze dragonflight.

Hear me out :

Without the power to see to the future the Bronze's make some excuse about great leylines of power ascending from all the deeds we have done. Allowing us to travel back to these major raids and re-experience them. (Perhaps with a twist; Ulduar style hardmode comes to mind if dev time allows)

A new or retrofitted reputation that allows for old raids to be Challenge Raids for the dedicated and Flex mode for the beer league.
    Defeating end bosses would unlock lore snippets (ie end of Molten core a cutscene of Rag being banished back to firelands and being all mad about it Defeating Nef would show a cutscene of Deathwing rezzing him for cata. Perhaps some of the book lore could be given as cutscenes to fill in the non readers. Along with transmog gear and various vanity/archaeology style items . The gear rewards would drop as normal but with a chance of dropping *Timescaled* (A current ilvl piece). Perhaps heirlooms which would be class/spec specific with a common theme. Along with this the challenge modes would feature redesigned transmog gear for the best times.

Personally I don't see the need for rewards as need for this technology to be part of the future of wow's old content I would use it regardless, but I understand how Blizz feels it would be pointless to integrate content with no progression. I'm no game dev and I'm sure many of you will shoot this down but I feel that Blizz should allow us some way to enjoy old content with challenge. This would mean the content is available to all and could become a nice meta game of being a true raid hero!

Anyway shoot me down and be douchebags or Add ideas and contribute to the general theme of *Timescaled* raiding or some bronze-dragon like name.

Imo, all the rewards should be vanity/cosmetic. Mounts, pets, the colors of the tiers that haven't been used yet. (most tiers have at least one unused coloration left) and for the raids that already have LFR (thus used all colorations) the LFR coloration of the gear can be dropped.

Example: Temple of Ahn'Qiraji on this challenge mode/upscaled version can reward a wasp or qiraji mount (new color, or the remaining yellow, green or red colors) that can be used outside. (archaeology already awards ultramarine, and the black qiraji is exclusive for the event and now no longer obtainable)

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    I just want to be rewarded with mounts, and pretty bangin cosmetic gear. That is all I want. That, and for it all to be a challenging solo instance. I don't want to look for no groups. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Deleted
    I kinda agree with the cosmetic only, but knowing the wow playerbase I think without a small chance of nearly current ilvl gear being rewarded either by rep/drop/coins/valor/gold would make the whole thing a bit of a damp squib.

- - - Updated - - -

again as solo content/scenario raids I feel the whole thing loses its MMO. I think if they scale it to work as flex mode with challenge modes being 10 or 25 like current normal/heroic then it keeps some prestige. Again I'm not sure how to work that. It would be the biggest hurdle imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    If rewards aren't cosmetic then people will complain they are 'forced' into doing the scaled old raids. Even if the rewards are 2 lesser charms, or a piece of 476 gear.
    It doesn't matter how good a feature is, hell, if Ghostcrawler said that anyone with a WoW sub just won $1000000 people would find something to complain about.
    The majority of the WoW fanbase is almost as autistic as the majority of the MLP fandom.
    Quote Originally Posted by judgementofantonidas View Post
    Blizzard offered cardboard cut outs with poster pictures of bosses stapled on them upside down and sideways and many players now feel that is raiding.
    Raxxykins

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raxxed View Post
    If rewards aren't cosmetic then people will complain they are 'forced' into doing the scaled old raids. Even if the rewards are 2 lesser charms, or a piece of 476 gear.
    It doesn't matter how good a feature is, hell, if Ghostcrawler said that anyone with a WoW sub just won $1000000 people would find something to complain about.
    The majority of the WoW fanbase is almost as autistic as the majority of the MLP fandom.
    Hahahaha so true.

Never thought of it that way.

Ok, so cosmetic, vanity, mount rewards would be the reason. I see the pitfall now. Still I think it could easily be tied into Bronze dragons, a little rep grind to work towards (from level 60 onwards). I still think heirlooms are a good option for reward, Perhaps Tierlooms? (Get you favorite setbonuses for levelling but it only works up to 89 although I see another pitfall being PVP now.. Yeah.. I'm seeing why Blizz don't like the tech now...)

Quote Originally Posted by Yarathir View Post
    Imo, all the rewards should be vanity/cosmetic. Mounts, pets, the colors of the tiers that haven't been used yet. (most tiers have at least one unused coloration left) and for the raids that already have LFR (thus used all colorations) the LFR coloration of the gear can be dropped.

Example: Temple of Ahn'Qiraji on this challenge mode/upscaled version can reward a wasp or qiraji mount (new color, or the remaining yellow, green or red colors) that can be used outside. (archaeology already awards ultramarine, and the black qiraji is exclusive for the event and now no longer obtainable)
    Honestly I think if they ever did this stuff they should put in real rewards lol. It gets kinda boring when most of the content either A. may not drop any gear for you or your friends or B. doesn't provide any sort of gear at all

Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich View Post
    Honestly I think if they ever did this stuff they should put in real rewards lol. It gets kinda boring when most of the content either A. may not drop any gear for you or your friends or B. doesn't provide any sort of gear at all

But it would drop guild: transmogrification gear. And mounts, and pets.. and other vanity items if Blizzard is smart.

If none of those really seem attractive to you, then there's no use in running them, right?

But it would drop guild: transmogrification gear. And mounts, and pets.. and other vanity items if Blizzard is smart.

If none of those really seem attractive to you, then there's no use in running them, right?

No I'm saying if they ever did something like that, they should drop items that increase your dps... you know, regular gear? lol. IMO, all that transmog and mount stuff gets so boring if you do it long enough, the game needs more ways to gear up anyways IMO...

Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich View Post
    No I'm saying if they ever did something like that, they should drop items that increase your dps... you know, regular gear? lol. IMO, all that transmog and mount stuff gets so boring if you do it long enough, the game needs more ways to gear up anyways IMO...

Imo, everything having to give viable gear is also pretty boring and lame. Vanity and those things are especially the stuff that gives WoW some extra spice.

There are dungeons, LFRs, raids and heroic scenarios for gearing. Some more stuff that isn't necessary/mandatory for gearing up (most people will say it is mandatory) please.

Agreed. I remember how annoying the start of Cata was with every 2h strength user chasing that sword.

Imo, everything having to give viable gear is also pretty boring and lame. Vanity and those things are especially the stuff that gives WoW some extra spice.

There are dungeons, LFRs, raids and heroic scenarios for gearing. Some more stuff that isn't necessary/mandatory for gearing up (most people will say it is mandatory) please.

Honestly I think the vanity stuff is over done - like with challenge modes... they should've dropped regular gear lol. Look at LFR for example, it gives gear, how can challenge modes not?

I think people are saying stuff like flex mode is mandatory (I'm a heroic raider... and hell yeah it's mandatory lol) just because it drops insanely OP gear despite being a beginner mode... but that's a pretty different topic than this one lol. Doesn't need to be the best gear in the game, but it would be fun if some of this stuff like brawler's guild could actually advance your character.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Outside of maybe being an alternative for gaining valor towards the valor cap, scaled content can't give consistent high level gear rewards, or many hard-core players will complain that it is yet another thing they are forced to do. It has to ultimately be something people do mainly for fun and perhaps for grindy cosmetic rewards. If it did yield any high level gear rewards, it would have to be a small outside chance, and not enough of one that people would run the content for this reason alone. It would have to be a bonus reward that one got occasionally in addition to doing content that one found fun and enjoyable.

10+ Year Old Account
    The ability to run content and have it mean something is incredibly appealing. "challenge mode raids" would be amazing for guilds. It would allow for an expansive pool of "progressive" content. For that alone I would love this. Throw in any additional incentives and its just icing on the cake. mounts pets cosmetic armor vanity items - would all just be a bonus.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rielthas View Post
    scaled content can't give consistent high level gear rewards, or many hard-core players will complain that it is yet another thing they are forced to do
    Does any of the other 98-99.5% of the WoW population care what those players think, or, more to the point, feel like their own game experience should be compromised so that the "tryhards" don't have to play 18 hours a day?

The more "Challenge Mode" content the game offers the better.

People are still getting together of all skill levels to work on just the 5 man set - Updating older content to this level would bring a whole new surge of "life" back into the game and those areas.
    Not to mention the plethora of options for rewards.

...I'm gonna need more bank space.

10+ Year Old Account
    I can imagine upscaled raid bosses dropping the equivalent of Heroic Scenario reward bags.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

New difficulty: Challenge Raid.
    Scales gear down to certain item-levels and decides bosses health and damage depending on how many people are in raid (I think 10-man should be maximum for 1-10, then comes 15, 20, 25.)
    Something like Diablo's Monster Power levels or Guild Wars 2 zone and monster strength scaling, shouldn't be too hard to program.

Loots should be Transmogrification items, mounts, pets, funny trinkets and maybe "spellbooks" to cast fancy bling-bling spells (which should be very rare drops).

As good as what this would be, I don't want these dungeons to become challenge modes. I would prefer them to scale to the current level cap (level 90) and be heroic dungeons so everyone can que for them and run them for valor or gear (which will scale to the current heroic item level). This will bring back the urge for players to run heroics. Add special items from random bosses, pets and mounts to entice players to que for them (similar to the chest from heroic occ that could drop the drake mount).

Liking the whole "Challenge Mode Raid" idea people are coming up with.
    www.twitch.tv/xchrispottertvx
    Officer in the World First Guild Method.
    We are recruiting any exceptional players who want to play at a World first level.
    www.method.gg
    Currently playing healer (Resto Druid main).