Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Angryshammy View Post
    Actually, Blizzard has stated several times that the Auth is NOT 100% full proof, and that all it does is add an extra layer of protection.
    The person who creates a security system that adds 100% safety to digital accounts is probably the person who might be the richest mofo from this century.

Also, 100% can't be invented. 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% might be though. :B

Quote Originally Posted by Harmonious View Post
    If he has an authenticator then there is no way he would be able to be hacked once, let alone several times.

Your friend is either bullshitting you or he's dealing with a hacker which can guess authenticator codes, probably a psychic.

There is no way an authenticator could be hacked.
    Or somehow gold sellers managed to get enough information to fake an id to remove the authenticator or had obtained an id from him and then used it to remove the authenticator. This is becoming quite common now and should be raising major red flags for those who are compromised in this way. If gold sellers can get enough information to pretend to be you, then your problems extend way beyond the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    For the sake of argument let's say your "friend" was completely innocent, is it possible he has removed his authenticator before the compromise occurred? Man in the middle attacks are very very rare and there are only at most a few documented cases of it. Just from my time on the customer support forums it is a fairly common occurrence for accounts to be compromised almost immediately when an authenticator is removed. Gold sellers don't have a problem sitting on account information for days/weeks/months/years at a time waiting for authenticators to be removed for whatever reason. They are also now heavily involved with identity theft in order to get authenticators removed. Then there is the fact many gold selling sites are now tricking players into providing them with personally identifying information such as photo ids and passports before allowing them to buy gold for the sole purpose of using said photo id to get authenticators removed in order to steal back the gold they just sold.
    Technically a good answer, though, another question is if your friend used a free software to scan as well. It's common knowledge that they don't 100% scan for you as they want you to be the program for it to do so.

But there's so many blind spots on this case, I just think it's a little odd. Authenticator's are already quite a huge brick wall to climb for a hacker, as well as the fact of the OP saying it, how fast the passwords change - so there must be something on the computer, or our legs are being pulled.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Sarac View Post
    The person who creates a security system that adds 100% safety to digital accounts is probably the person who might be the richest mofo from this century.

Also, 100% can't be invented. 99.999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999999% might be though. :B
    I am not sure what you're attempting to state.

My reply was to the Troll who attempted to "diss" Blizzard by providing a false statement.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    our legs are being pulled.
    This is the most accurate statement of the whole thread.
    I grew up in the era where you had to go to channel 3 to play video games.

Quote Originally Posted by hirazu View Post
    Yeah we hope for better support from the Next GM we talk to..

- - - Updated - - -

After doing some proper searching on the interwebs i have found several accounts with authenticators that have been hacked but i have no clue how they do it
    Identity theft is how they do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Identity theft is how they do it.
    Indeed, you would not want to know what you learn from people's trash.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

Quote Originally Posted by Skorpionss View Post
    You can restore some of your characters on the battlenet website I think... it's automated let me try and see what I can find.

edit: Weird, I could've sworn I saw an option to restore a deleted character on battlenet a few months back...
    This isn't the correct way to recover accounts. There is an account recovery option on Blizzard's support site that will cover all issues involved with compromised accounts.

Deleted
    This is not possible, sorry, I don't believe you

10+ Year Old Account
    This isn't the correct way to recover accounts. There is an account recovery option on Blizzard's support site that will cover all issues involved with compromised accounts.
    That, but there is a recovery for characters as well, it's within the same topic as restoring items (the drop down menu selection). Though, the OP's friend claimed what had happened, happened - so he would need to reclaim his account, do a full sweep or even more of the systems and make sure his lost items are restored - And characters of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Valyna View Post
    nobody could change your password that quick if you got an authenticator. I don´t even think it would actually be possible.
    that really sounds like a call for attention, or your brother is just trolling you. Noway this ever happends under this circumstances.
    just a further attempt to make blizzard look bad
    Oh yes it most certainly can be done that fast especially if the email account associated with the battle.net account was compromised as well.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Angryshammy View Post
    I am not sure what you're attempting to state.

My reply was to the Troll who attempted to "diss" Blizzard by providing a false statement.

- - - Updated - - -

This is the most accurate statement of the whole thread.
    Was just explaining further that nothing is failproof, wasn't meant as a "herpenderp your wrong".

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh yes it most certainly can be done that fast especially if the email account associated with the battle.net account was compromised as well.
    That, and you can change password while you are still online in the game, then when the person logs in, you get DC'd thus proceed to do the exact same thing.

duplicate certain items??
    Didnt even know... dont GM check these thing so they dont duplicate stuff O.o

Well this is everything I know and i dont think he in to that stuff... He is almost allways broke ;P or well around 2-4k gold
    Of course GMs check for that but it doesn't mean some arrogant people don't try to play the system. This is precisely why Blizzard has some seemingly strict policies on item recovery.

10+ Year Old Account
    Of course GMs check for that but it doesn't mean some arrogant people don't try to play the system. This is precisely why Blizzard has some seemingly strict policies on item recovery.
    Indeed, though, would love if they were a bit more strict on some topics.

Quote Originally Posted by Gehco View Post
    Never experienced such, nor don't I really believe the part of not restoring characters. They can back-track up to 24 months back, and bring your character back - BUT, if items has been sold on the same day as the deletion (say 24 months back) then you can't get those back. Considering that your brothers characters was deleted within 96 hours time, give or take an hour, they are completely able to reconstruct deleted characters and equipment - UNLESS, they can see that you sold your equipment and kept the gold.

Though, for cases like this, I find it amazing it took so long. Did he keep resetting/resending tickets? Normally something like this has an average response time of 10 min to 3 hours (That is my experience when I help friends with their cases. 34 situations over the past 3 years, max took 3 hours, min 10 minutes).

Missing them details, I think.
    Even back in Wrath before they had streamlined many GM/customer support systems, their account recovery time was rather fast. The first and only time I was compromised was back then and I had most of my stuff back within an hour.

- - - Updated - - -

OMG that would help us sooooo much <3
    Never even though of this
    "Us"? That is the second time you done that. Are you sharing his account? That would probably be why Blizzard is unwilling to help.

If you had have called blizz they would have sorted it over the phone for you straight away.

IN FACT! My mate was on WoW, and got DC'ed, couldnt get back on, rang blizz and the CS agent he spoke to said he could see the "hacker" on his account right now, kicked him off, and whilst on the phone, got him to make a new email address and he will assign his new one to the account.

Sorry, but the tale being told here is either A) incomplete or B) utter rubbish.

We have some hope of restoring his characters now that soo many of you have said that they got there characters restored even though they have been deleted since long.

Hope we just got a tired GM last time.
    All GMs follow the exact same policies, tired or not. Their jobs depend on it.

well that does not sound right. I, as many others wrote, had a character restored with all the gold, gear etc it had when I deleted it. I requested the restor 1 year after the delete

Quote Originally Posted by MPA View Post
    I never heard of hackers deleting toons. Also, if you get hacked and you call blizzard, it will be taken care of immediately. They will definately not tell you to make an in-game or out-game ticket. That basically leaves 1 option: like many other people that play this game, having fun means trolling and being horrible towards others.
    When my account was compromised in Wrath they inexplicably deleted some of my characters. Not sure exactly why they do it but it is fairly common. As far as reporting compromised accounts, there is no point of contact that can be reached by phone. It has to be done through the account recovery option on the support site. Please stop spreading misinformation.

Deleted
    Seen this happening before BUT, here's how it goes.
    You use a vpn or log on on your account on another IP, trade all your gold to whoever.
    Get back on your real ip and claim your acc has been hacked.
    Blizz restores your acc and you get double the gold/items whe you just traded before claiming hacked.
    I am not saying this is the case here BUT blizzard instead of saying "You're bullshiting us and we know it" they just keep being cool and tell you it's not possible to recover your characters, WHY? because it's easy for them to see this was a fake acc hacked but they can't rly prove it.
    Anyways, giving the benefit of the doubt this might just be a gm's mistake or there has been a problem with the backup db/table where your character is stored. gl