Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

Exclamation Warcraft Movie Plot

Update:
    The source of the .pdf document is legit (Polygon covers the news)
    The examiner.com links to the same page
    We don't know why they copypasted the Arthas book summary for the auditions

"His evil is legend. Lord of the undead Scourge, wielder of the runeblade Frostmourne, and enemy of the free peoples of Azeroth. The Lich King is an entity of incalculable power and unparalleled malice - his icy soul utterly consumed by his plans to destroy all life on the World of Warcraft. But it was not always so. Long before his soul was fused with that of the orc shaman Ner'zhul, the Lich King was Arthas Menethil, crown prince of Lordaeron and faithful paladin of the Silver Hand. When a plague of undeath threatened all that he loved, Arthas was driven to pursue an ill-fated quest for a runeblade powerful enough to save his homeland. Yet the object of his search would exact a heavy price from its new master, beginning a horrifying descent into damnation. Arthas's path would lead him through the arctic northern wastes toward the Frozen Throne, where he would face, at long last, the darkest of destinies."
    SOURCE
    Original PDF source
    Blizzplanet
    Reddit
    Edit 1:
    Vancouver Actors Resource PDF
    Links first posted on IMDb message boards
    Edit 2:
    Twitt that confirms the movie shooting in Canada Motion Picture Park. Vancouver, British Columbia.

image from here
    Last edited by Elixr; 2013-09-01 at 08:54 AM. Reason: links

If true, it does make sense. The fall of Arthas is the strongest (human) story in WoW by a long way.

Really? Arthas' story? Again? We've been told this story in a game, an expansion for that game, a novel, and an expansion for another game. Can't we, like, have another story be told?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Solitare-sp View Post
    If true, it does make sense. The fall of Arthas is the strongest (human) story in WoW by a long way.
    Even though the whole Arthas storyline is very, very Star Wars like, with Anakin becoming Darth Vader, I think the Arthas storyline is the best choice ever to do a movie on, taken from the Warcraft lore.

Still, I'm sad we will be seeing live action, and not in the style Blizzard do their cinematics. A cinematic-like Arthas movie would be really awesome.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynneiah View Post
    Really? Arthas' story? Again? We've been told this story in a game, an expansion for that game, a novel, and an expansion for another game. Can't we, like, have another story be told?
    It's a good idea, if you want to launch something related to Warcraft well it's best to start from WC3. I know many of my friends who have long lost interested in the franchise who would watch it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hugo Weaving should play Arthas father :O

That man is a Legend!
    Last edited by Cyrops; 2013-08-30 at 12:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reglitch View Post
    It's a good idea, if you want to launch something related to Warcraft well it's best to start from WC3. I know many of my friends who have long lost interested in the franchise who would watch it.
    I was kinda hoping they'd start of with Warcraft I, as was previously rumoured. We still don't know exactly how the First War went, only how it started and ended, and I really do feel Arthas' story is over-told by now.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Urgh... No more Arthas for the love of every single deity.... It was never more than a Star Wars parody to begin with. Wasn't 1½ RTS games, an entire expansion AND a book enough?

Also, this does not fit the clip we heard about previously, which was a human and orc fighting in a desert like landscape.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrops View Post
    Hugo Weaving should play Arthas father :O

That man is a Legend!
    I would pay anything to see this be done, he would be perfect for the role.

We could have Miley Cyrus as Jaina Proudmoore (Joke)

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynneiah View Post
    I was kinda hoping they'd start of with Warcraft I, as was previously rumoured. We still don't know exactly how the First War went, only how it started and ended, and I really do feel Arthas' story is over-told by now.
    Exactly, this would make sense honestly. But noooo, back to Prince Goldielocks... Grunt... Oh well, until the movie is actually out, or we start seing some real trailers, I'll still hold a tiny shred of hope that this is a hoax.

- - - Updated - - -

Sigh, oh well... At least there's a fair bit of Dreadlords and Ner'zhul... Oh and Kel'thuzad is still pretty cool.

I think people should read the whole article. I don't think this is going to be an exact retelling of WC3.

"Chris Metzen, Blizzard's VP of Creative Development, stated that the "Warcraft" film was originally set in the era of Warcraft: Orcs and Humans, however that idea was dropped. It was believed that the story would be too similar to "The Lord of the Rings", and that Warcraft had reached its current level of popularity through its Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game (MMORPG), rather than the previous Real-Time Strategy (RTS) games. The movie will primarily be told from the Alliance's point of view, though Chris Metzen says his heart lies with the Horde. Metzen said that the main character is set to be a new hero described as a "kick-ass Human" and an "Anti-Thrall"."

The main character is not going to be Arthas. If both that and the story section contain true information, then this movie will likely be a retelling of the WC3 Human campaign through the eyes of a new character. And based on that statement, it wouldn't surprise me if this character becomes important to wow after the movie is released.

Quote Originally Posted by Klavier Gavin View Post
    Even though the whole Arthas storyline is very, very Star Wars like, with Anakin becoming Darth Vader, I think the Arthas storyline is the best choice ever to do a movie on, taken from the Warcraft lore.

Still, I'm sad we will be seeing live action, and not in the style Blizzard do their cinematics. A cinematic-like Arthas movie would be really awesome.
    Yeah, I mean the problem translating fantasy into a film is that without masses of CGI, or animation, there has to a large proportion of humanish characters. Orcs 'could' look awful on screen (or like the Hulk I guess, but that's hugely expensive).

Someone send this to Ducksauce so he can send in his headshots!

Quote Originally Posted by Laurcus View Post
    I think people should read the whole article. I don't think this is going to be an exact retelling of WC3.

"Chris Metzen, Blizzard's VP of Creative Development, stated that the "Warcraft" film was originally set in the era of Warcraft: Orcs and Humans, however that idea was dropped. It was believed that the story would be too similar to "The Lord of the Rings", and that Warcraft had reached its current level of popularity through its Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game (MMORPG), rather than the previous Real-Time Strategy (RTS) games. The movie will primarily be told from the Alliance's point of view, though Chris Metzen says his heart lies with the Horde. Metzen said that the main character is set to be a new hero described as a "kick-ass Human" and an "Anti-Thrall"."

The main character is not going to be Arthas. If both that and the story section contain true information, then this movie will likely be a retelling of the WC3 Human campaign through the eyes of a new character. And based on that statement, it wouldn't surprise me if this character becomes important to wow after the movie is released.
    That script was dropped when Sam Rami left the project.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account

The qoute which you qouted is back from '09 or '08, before they introduced Varian - who happend to be the human in question.

That would be a lot more interesting, really.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    63% sure it's a hoax. Plus, I really, really, really want to see some True Horde stories.
    Not very interested in most things post-Thrall
    While I agree, I don't think the movie should tell a pure Horde, or pure Alliance story - tell a story like Warcraft 1 or Warcraft 2, a story with two sides and at least a protagonist for each side. Anything else will cause a fan-based shitstorm honestly.

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    The qoute which you qouted is back from '09 or '08, before they introduced Varian - who happend to be the human in question.
    Oh, so why the fuck is old information like that in that article? Seems really random and kind of misleading.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Oh, so why the fuck is old information like that in that article? Seems really random to me.
    Quite so, nonetheless the qoute is from this article http://wow.joystiq.com/2007/08/04/li...n-movie-panel/, even older than I said. Besides, Anti-Thrall isn't even remotely relevant these days. So, the chances of this being a hoax is increasing - rapidly. Well either that or those who wrote said article have their head up their rear.

Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    63% sure it's a hoax. Plus, I really, really, really want to see some True Horde stories.
    Not very interested in most things post-Thrall
    I believe it's been said in the past (can't find source so take with a grain of salt) that the movie will take place during the Orcs vs. Humans era (aka Warcraft 1) and will be from the human point of view only.