Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Champxoxo View Post
    How is it nostalgia if I enjoyed TBC more than Vanilla, but Wrath slightly more than TBC and found Cata/MoP to have completely destroyed the game?
    From my perspective, nostalgia isn't a dirty word. I realize that a lot of people use it like a big pointy stick to try to invalidate people's feelings about it, but there's nothing wrong with being nostalgic. In fact, I'd say someone would have to be a cold fish indeed if they don't have nostalgic feelings about playing back then. It's basic human nature.

People can look at the cold hard facts of TBC gameplay and say they preferred that. But anyone who had good experiences back then are also going to have nostalgic feelings for the entire experience. Everything from killing bosses, to mundane stuff like shooting the shit with people in guild chat.
    Stating an opinion as fact does not make it fact. Opinions are not fact. So don't be stupid and make a fool of yourself by trying to pass off your opinion as fact.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    #4 Gearing up was interesting. You could get PvP gear and would be superior to some PvE gear. Completing a Heroic would drop a piece of epic gear. Felt very rewarding to do something hard and get something out of it.
    But the epics dropped in Karazhan and beyond were better than 5 man epics.

PVP epics were only better than PVE blues.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekkommo View Post
    I cannot stop laughing at this hahahahahaha.
    *cough* badges of justice *cough*.

Of course I can't wait until someone shows up with the old "welfare epics" stuff.
    Stating an opinion as fact does not make it fact. Opinions are not fact. So don't be stupid and make a fool of yourself by trying to pass off your opinion as fact.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Blackmore View Post
    *cough* badges of justice *cough*.

Of course I can't wait until someone shows up with the old "welfare epics" stuff.
    Not only that but Karazhan was nerfed to fuck in the first patch, making it easy even in greens. Badges were pretty late in the expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Blackmore View Post
    Please. The exact opposite comes from people around here too. In any case, I played in TBC and it was good. My nostalgia comment is directed at all of the cheerleaders who say things like Blizzard should go back to the TBC model as if it were perfect. TBC, on balance, had a lot more good points than bad points, I'll agree. But it wasn't the perfect gaming experience that so many people claim it was.

Nobody is saying it's perfect, but compare WoW now to Wow then.
    WoW then, if someone ninja'ed something or purposely tried wiping your group, the whole server knew about it, you could rest assured they wouldn't be doing it again unless they took the time to level an alt (which was quite some time lol). Now, if someone rolls on gear they don't need or already have, but you do, there's pretty much little you can do besides quit the group. And guys that troll and wipe the group simply have to re-queue if they ever do get booted in order to do it again... this time though they got protection from kicks.

Wow then, you had to socialize even when questing, you likely made buddies while doing dungeons, if you played at max level for a few months you knew the server, and they probably knew you too. WoW now, you group up with complete strangers that you likely won't see again, and that epic dungeon lasted 8 minutes, the queue for it was 15 lol. You also get to 90 without ever having to group up for anything outside of LFD.

Wow then, you leveled up a profession and got a bad ass weapon or armor, or some really sweet engineering gadgets..... WoW now, you get a .33% boost to a stat or something and the gear you can make is worse than the stuff you got from questing.

Wow then, you'd grind out something for an awesome reward, be it a mount or gear, it was something unique that not everyone had. Wow now, everyone is getting the legendary cloak the day 5.4 hits.

Lots of big differences, I personally can't see how people think MoP is more fun though.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can say I'm being nostalgic or whatever, but this game has definitely gone downhill since Cata, it's still fun don't get me wrong, and it IS better than anything on the market currently, but Cata and MoP, while decent compared to other Games don't hold a candle to WoW PreBC-Wrath. The game was much more open, there actually was community, the environments (Art is subjective, yes I know) were amazing (Especially places like SMV) there was actually a sense of achievement for doing things, sure you might have had to wait an extra few minutes for a dungeon, sure you might have actually had to, God forbid, CC trash, and all that, but Ease of Access=/=Good Gameplay. Like I said though, the game is still fun, and yes PreBC, BC, AND Wrath all had their flaws, but overall those were the most enjoyable years I've had on this game.

What people think about TBC:

-Best xpac ever!
    -Lots of fun
    -Hard stuff
    -Illidan
    -karazhan
    -Best years of my life!
    -I couldnt stop playing! IT WAS THE BEST!
    -lots of friends! now is dead!
    -LOTS OF SUBSCRIBERS! THUS BEST EXPANSION EVER!

What really is:

-You were a total noob and everything was new and fresh. Even when you never ever raided sunwell you were happy leveling toons, because EVERYTHING WAS NEW TO YOU.

10+ Year Old Account
    Since I am not going to school for a while, does anyone here recommend any tbc private servers? PM me if anyone could.

10+ Year Old Account
    But the epics dropped in Karazhan and beyond were better than 5 man epics.

PVP epics were only better than PVE blues.
    When I was playing the game, it was a race to get geared up. So epic drops from heroic dungeons were better then blues. As a Ret Paladin who played TBC as Ret, I do remember that some pieces of PvP were better then PvE. So it was kinda nice that my PvP aspect helped out in PvE. Where as PvP gear is a joke in PvE today. Due mostly to the difference in ilvl.

Today getting gear feels less rewarding, cause eventually everyone will get your gear. Either because Blizzard nerfs the dungeons eventually for others to play catch up, or because of LFR versions of the same loot just with different color skins. At least back then if you got Torch of the Damned or the PvP recolored version, you had to go do awesome things to acquire it. Now you just queue for LFR and rub your face all over the keyboard. Yea it's a different color, but it's the same looking piece of loot.

Not only that but Karazhan was nerfed to fuck in the first patch, making it easy even in greens. Badges were pretty late in the expansion.
    Badges were there from the start but the gear badges offered for very long time were on par or just SLIGHTLY better than heroic blues due to how ilevel system worked back then.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by RickJamesLich View Post
    Lots of big differences, I personally can't see how people think MoP is more fun though.
    Yes but times have changed, although it is confusing for me to be totally honest since it was first Blizzard who socially engineered the players to think the "wow now" was better than "wow tbc/vanilla". That is one big point I think people will always forget.

I swear some people still believe the best wow could be some similar class mechanics in mop and a lot of tbc objective mechanics.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Badges were there from the start but the gear badges offered for very long time were on par or just SLIGHTLY better than heroic blues due to how ilevel system worked back then.

The first items were niche ones if I recall correct, like wands with shadow damage on and shields with healing stats and things like that. Items that was better off by being at a vendor since very few (or fewer than normal) would need them.
    Last edited by Nihth; 2013-09-01 at 02:33 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I loved TBC because the server knew each other, after LFG that kind of died off.

New leveling experience, powerful new gear, re vamps of talents
    Raids were really challenging & amazing
    Purples still meant something
    Challenging heroics
    Flying fucking mounts
    New class for each faction, finally parity for horde raiders
    Great storyline
    Arena
    World pvp
    Sexy new continent with lots of lore

These challenges were all overcome with a good tight knit guild. After TBC guilds just lost that kind of feeling. Oh three new people in this weeks raid. Who quit this time?
    Last edited by iggie; 2013-09-01 at 02:34 AM.

The game wasn't watered down baby food, that's why.

WoW then, if someone ninja'ed something or purposely tried wiping your group, the whole server knew about it, you could rest assured they wouldn't be doing it again unless they took the time to level an alt (which was quite some time lol).
    That must've been a server with 20 people playing on it. I was in a very low population PvE server during TBC and you'd see "don't go with xxx into instances, he's a ninja" or " don't invite xxx into your guild he's a ninja". Few people were doing it constantly all through TBC, because there's always some new suckers you've never met before.

Wow then, you had to socialize even when questing, you likely made buddies while doing dungeons, if you played at max level for a few months you knew the server, and they probably knew you too. WoW now, you group up with complete strangers that you likely won't see again,
    What a load of crap. People didn't do dungeons to socialize in TBC, they did it to run daily heroic for BoJ and epic gems and epic weapons from the endboss. If you didn't have people online in the guild to run those, you'd be yellin in /trade channel "lf2m dps daily heroic, no cc = no inv" and that was the whole extend of socializing that I saw during TBC expansion outside own guild.

and that epic dungeon lasted 8 minutes, the queue for it was 15 lol.
    Mechanar lasted about 20 minutes for four badges. That's why people ran it over and over and over again.

Wow then, you leveled up a profession and got a bad ass weapon or armor, or some really sweet engineering gadgets.....
    Making raid drops irrelevant for many tiers. Tailored Shadoweave chest+shoulders were better than anything dropping in T4/T5 instances for warlocks and shadowpriests essentially forcing everybody from those classes to pick tailoring or be kicked from guilds for being noobs, same thing with leatherworking drums in Sunwell. Crafting was totally fucked up in the old times, either being too weak or way way too strong.

Wow then, you'd grind out something for an awesome reward, be it a mount or gear, it was something unique that not everyone had.
    TBC had 3 flying mounts at the start, so odds at bumping into somebody with same not quite unique mount was around 1/3... And you'd see exact same weapons and shields everywhere that were the main things people grinded from various factions and BoJ vendor.

Wow now, everyone is getting the legendary cloak the day 5.4 hits.
    After grinding their ass off for more than year. Before you could be a rogue joining into T6 guild, get boosted through Black Temple and get a glaive because of your class. Now which requires more effort of the two, or is more deserving of the orange item?

I personally can't see how people think MoP is more fun though.
    Taking the blindfold off could help.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2013-09-01 at 07:08 AM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Difficulty of TBC or vanilla didn't come from complexity, but from gear farming requirements first and foremost. From the point of view of how high IQ it required to clear each tier TBC was for retards compared to Cata/MoP raids.
    No, the difficulty (in the harder raid encounters) came from how unforgiving the game was. Mostly the punishment for mistakes was severe - for instance, nobody could cast while moving. So failing to plan out your movement or moving too much cost you a lot of DPS. Tanks would die if you didn't heal them for a second. Our holy paladins used to call their GCDs on vent - that is, I am using a GCD on something other than casting holy light, watch the tank. There were a lot more "drop everything and do this right now or the raid wipes" things, too.

Fights are much more complex today but there's more tools to solve each problem and punishment for mistakes is generally less severe. Move a little more than you have to? No big deal. Stop healing the tank for a second? Everyone else can do it too, that's fine. Don't have the right classes and specs on? Doesn't matter, everyone does about the same amount of damage and most things are covered by multiple classes and specs.

I'd probably say the top end of raiding right now is harder than ever before but it gets dramatically easier every week, so it really depends when you do it. But TBC wasn't easy just because the fights were less complex, it was just different. And I'm speaking as someone who has killed every boss in the game when it was relevant.

Gear farming didn't really enter into it, if you progressed through each tier you were totally fine on gear, you didn't have to go back and "farm" anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Gondlem View Post
    No, the difficulty (in the harder raid encounters) came from how unforgiving the game was. Mostly the punishment for mistakes was severe - for instance, nobody could cast while moving. So failing to plan out your movement or moving too much cost you a lot of DPS.
    Fights are much more complex today but there's more tools to solve each problem and punishment for mistakes is generally less severe. Move a little more than you have to? No big deal. Stop healing the tank for a second? Everyone else can do it too, that's fine. Don't have the right classes and specs on? Doesn't matter, everyone does about the same amount of damage and most things are covered by multiple classes and specs.
    There is nothing in WoW like heroic Lei Shen where all 25 people need to move at least 3-4 times per minute whole ten minutes straight, stack and spread to few yard precision and do it right or you wipe it. Never before one person's fail in movement would be immediate wipe. Archimonde's soul charges came really close but even that was recoverable in most cases. And if you try it without two DK's, it's just not gonna happen. Without that mass grip it's simply not possible.

Tanks would die if you didn't heal them for a second.
    Tanks would and could die from parry haste quite randomly in Sunwell. Besides that healing was monotonous "spam spell x on every cooldown" and if the tank moved out of fire they were never in real danger of dying.

There were a lot more "drop everything and do this right now or the raid wipes" things, too.
    Only such encounter I remember from TBC was Felmyst and Kil'jaeden. In everything else you could assign spots for the raid and only few people had to move.

But TBC wasn't easy just because the fights were less complex, it was just different.
    Old raids were basically an exercise in pre-planning, now things require you to do things on the fly and most if not all of the raid to react to things in every encounter, not just on the harder ones. Previously you could carry whole lot of idiots easier by just planting them into corner like a flowerpot and they wouldn't cause a wipe, while on Lei Shen they would for sure.

Gear farming didn't really enter into it, if you progressed through each tier you were totally fine on gear, you didn't have to go back and "farm" anything.
    If you killed Illidan half year before Sunwell came out and did it every week for glaives, it was the farming required to clear next tier. If on the other hand you killed Illidan two weeks before Sunwell came out you didn't have enough dps to kill Brutallus and was required to go back to BT/MH to farm more gear. Sunwell had plenty of strict DPS checks that were not possible to do without extensive gear farming and people being in nearly BiS gear to even be worth giving it a try.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    There is nothing in WoW like heroic Lei Shen where all 25 people need to move at least 3-4 times per minute whole ten minutes straight, stack and spread to few yard precision and do it right or you wipe it. Never before one person's fail in movement would be immediate wipe. Archimonde's soul charges came really close but even that was recoverable in most cases. And if you try it without two DK's, it's just not gonna happen. Without that mass grip it's simply not possible.

Tanks would and could die from parry haste quite randomly in Sunwell. Besides that healing was monotonous "spam spell x on every cooldown" and if the tank moved out of fire they were never in real danger of dying.

Only such encounter I remember from TBC was Felmyst and Kil'jaeden. In everything else you could assign spots for the raid and only few people had to move.

Old raids were basically an exercise in pre-planning, now things require you to do things on the fly and most if not all of the raid to react to things in every encounter, not just on the harder ones. Previously you could carry whole lot of idiots easier by just planting them into corner like a flowerpot and they wouldn't cause a wipe, while on Lei Shen they would for sure.

If you killed Illidan half year before Sunwell came out and did it every week for glaives, it was the farming required to clear next tier. If on the other hand you killed Illidan two weeks before Sunwell came out you didn't have enough dps to kill Brutallus and was required to go back to BT/MH to farm more gear. Sunwell had plenty of strict DPS checks that were not possible to do without extensive gear farming and people being in nearly BiS gear to even be worth giving it a try.
    I disagree with every point you have made. I think TBC's raiding model is superior to the current one and subscription loses in part prove my points. Blizzard know the current system is broken which is why they are desperately trying to fix it.
    So then, are you going to continue wasting your time trying to change peoples opinion in a forum thread which asked why people prefer TBC or are you going to just accept it?

10+ Year Old Account
    2 words: Flying mounts <3 best addition to teh game