Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    All of the zones in TBC didn't have the same theme recycled, for one.

For me, I started WoW right at the launch of TBC. The contrast in worlds, coming from Azeroth to Outland was awesome. The design of the zones were fantastic, each one had a story to tell, its own conflict going on in the midst of the main conflict. I loved how the shattered world told its own story, the scars showed that something terrible had happened, and this is teased out over the course of the expansion. Nagrand is still my favourite zone.

The instances for me were challenging, requiring some degree of teamwork and coordination. The HC's as well lived up to that name. I've yet to get that same sense of accomplishment I felt completing a TBC hc from any hc since. I liked having to attune to instances. It added a nice quality assurance element to it. If someone could be bothered to get attuned, chances where that they had some degree of ability.

Raiding wise, I still think Kara is the best raid I've been in. I think it was tuned to perfection. I loved the progression, I got to BT before the lolpatch hit.

I also think that having played WC3 and its expac, getting to find out what happens to Illidan, Kael and Vashj added an extra bonus to me, I was more engrossed in the story of TBC than I was with the other expacs, though WotLK did a good job, I just didn't care as much for MoP or Cata.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gelannerai View Post

Remember, legally no one sane takes Tucker Carlson seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Ceethemage View Post
    The beginning of WOTLK was awesome I actually enjoyed it but when they took a bat to it and made it feel like gear was "free for all" I lost my like for it.
    I stopped caring about gear in Vanilla. I do not care what other people have.

Here's a lesson in aesthetics.
    Warrior Tier 1 is substantially better looking than Tier 2 or 2.5.
    Tier 4 was better than Tier 5, 6 or 6.5.
    Tier 7 and 8 were better than Tier 9 or 10.
    And so forth. I never really cared how something looked. I chose it to get the job done. If its just a means to an end, as 99.9% of gear is, what does it matter if someone else has something?

Quote Originally Posted by det View Post
    Does Howling Fjord look like Icecrown? Does Sholazar have the same theme as Zul Drak? Twilight Highland equals Deepholm? Dread Wastes are Jade Forest?
    Giving specific examples doesn't disprove my point. What you just did would be like comparing Elwynn Forest and Durotar, observing they are completely different, and concluding there are absolutely no repeating themes in all of Azeroth. That would be a false assumption as Searing Gorge and Burning Steppes are very similar.

10+ Year Old Account
    In your fish aquarium eating your fish flakes. NOM NOM
    Reasons I loved tbc:

Badge of Justice system let me gear up on my own time
    World PVP was absolutely phenominal
    AV pugs
    Heroic dungeons were a challenge, but no so hard that they were unbeatable
    Raid pugging, I ran t4 content religiously and did some BT
    Nagrand - Just in general, the quests, the scenery, and the ambiance was fantastic

All of these could be expanded on further but I'm just making a short list here
    Torchlight II Vanilla Player
    Looking for a vanilla only group?

http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=40739

Deleted
    Yes...and so does HM Lich King. Who was never killed before the buff was applied. Now what? WotLK was still called Wrath of the casual King. So...M'uru says "Hi" and that makes TBC awesome and HM LK says "Hi" but that doesn't count?
    That's right because the casuals had to bang their heads against the same M'uru that the hardcore did instead of doing normal. Not that the casuals even got to M'uru but that's the gist of it.

The second gate opened after weekly maintenance on April 29, 2008
    M'uru was killed - 4th May 2008

5 days..so "lol"
    Five days is honestly a pretty long time for a single boss to live with no gear farming needed and nothing protecting it. Most raid zones last 1-2 weeks, so 5 days for just one boss is a lot.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivanstone View Post
    I stopped caring about gear in Vanilla. I do not care what other people have.

Here's a lesson in aesthetics.
    Warrior Tier 1 is substantially better looking than Tier 2 or 2.5.
    Tier 4 was better than Tier 5, 6 or 6.5.
    Tier 7 and 8 were better than Tier 9 or 10.
    And so forth. I never really cared how something looked. I chose it to get the job done. If its just a means to an end, as 99.9% of gear is, what does it matter if someone else has something?
    You missed my point... Before gear was "lets give it all for free" a LOT of people were judgmental pricks and if you didn't have certain things or "looked" like you knew your crap they wouldn't let you in. I worked hard for the gear I had as a Mage back in TBC and WOTLK and worked hard on my server to prove I was a damn good mage. Then when the mechanics changed and everything was free for all then a lot of people would then assume you were and idiot and did not give you a time of day. That happened with a lot of classes. It was very frustrating, and I know some people will not understand or get that.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitei View Post
    BC heroics were not hard. People were just awful at the game.
    There is nothing hard about CCing trash before a pull-- and I say that as a rogue who had to sap without Imp Sap (I.e. When you sap, stealth breaks and all the mobs get aggro'd onto you). It was not difficult, it was not challenging. It was god awful tedious. Any tank that wasn't a retard could pull aggro off of me, it just meant the group had to go through extra, annoying steps while clearing trash, making runs take several times longer than they needed to.

Things taking more time =/= difficulty.

Do you realize what a complete joke most lower tier raid encounters in TBC were?

Even on LFR, Lei Shen, council and Durumu are more complex fights than the majority of fights before T6.

Ok, so CC'ing 3 mobs at the same time is easy, so then what would you call just running and aoe'ing all the mobs down at once? Mindnumbingly easy? The point is, 5 mans now are like the cure for insomnia... there was a time where they were actually interesting.

Also, how often did you afk on bosses in T6? How often do people afk in LFR right now?

Quote Originally Posted by Ceethemage View Post
    You missed my point... Before gear was "lets give it all for free" a LOT of people were judgmental pricks and if you didn't have certain things or "looked" like you knew your crap they wouldn't let you in. I worked hard for the gear I had as a Mage back in TBC and WOTLK and worked hard on my server to prove I was a damn good mage. Then when the mechanics changed and everything was free for all then a lot of people would then assume you were and idiot and did not give you a time of day. That happened with a lot of classes. It was very frustrating, and I know some people will not understand or get that.
    No, you're mistaken. Idiots could and did get high quality gear in TBC raids. Decent players will get a chance to prove themselves sooner or later. What they wear is pretty irrelevant. Quite frankly, I'm pretty pleased that people can easily get gear. Better players will be able to keep up.

Honestly just go to wikipedia.com and look up nostalgia
    People tend to only remember the good things and not the bad

Quote Originally Posted by vesseblah View Post
    Great example of nostalgia goggles in action.

SSC and The Eye had most of the bosses hopelessly bugged. Lurker's spawning was a running joke for months, Hydross soloed as current content due to pathing bugs, Letheras room having that mysterios FPS issue, Vashj's famous p3 antics for world firsts, Al'ar nerfed half-dozen times, Void Reaver one-shottable by most guilds enterting the instance first time, Solarian rebuilt four times because it didn't work and Kael with famous bugs that prevented killing it.

Good tuning requiring extreme class stacking up to 10-11 healers for Eredar Twins or 4-5 warlocks for M'uru or five shamans for bloodlust rotation on Brutallus or having bunch of holy pallies sitting outside the instance to bless people because they were hopelessly shit to even try to heal any bosses inside? Sunwell was the most mistuned instance in the history of the game, and for a very good reason started the "bring the player not the class" ideology.

- - - Updated - - -

TBC had the most disjointed storyline of any expansion, where nothing made any sense whatsoever.

Illidan which was the big baddie supposedly made a cameo role at the end, and nobodies (Gruul, Vashj, Kael) that people hadn't heard of ever before were the big baddies most of the players saw during the expansion. And what the hell has Karazhan got to do with Outland or Illidan at all? Nothing.

Not sure what kind of guild YOU played with, but we didnt need 11 heals for Twins...nor 5 shamans for Brut (I will admit to people hopping on pally alts for blessings though) we had a holy pally...yet we somehow managed to get to Muru pre-nerf....guess we were just awesome....or you guys were just bad....Nobodies? kael...and vashj....lrn2play WC3 bro....and that compares to now right? with the "why again are we helping the pandas kill Mogu?" "Why are we here? Other then the fact it drops the shiniest new loot"

Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    This won't end well... Anyways, to summarize;

Their first expansion, their first MMO and/or nostalgia.

3, 2, 1 - LET THE SHITSTORM COMMENCE!
    I liked it cause my first MMo, nostalgia, and first expansion!

But also, I really liked it because compared to Azeroth, it was so incredibly.... new and overwhelming, the stark contrast between the two places was HUGE. That sense of being in an alien place, I don't know, i loved it.

Edit: Ofc there was issues with classes and specs and balance. I'm talking only about the feel of the place, when you entered it after those 60 levels of Azeroth.

Quote Originally Posted by Gondlem View Post
    And this just reads like someone who never did the fights, frankly. Not to mention that "complex" is pretty irrelevant, unless you really think "has a lot of stuff going on" is what makes a challenging boss.
    Difficulty of TBC or vanilla didn't come from complexity, but from gear farming requirements first and foremost. From the point of view of how high IQ it required to clear each tier TBC was for retards compared to Cata/MoP raids.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

i loved tbc because its was all about your adventer. and taking the time in dungeon and cc stuff. instead of going gogogogo aoe asap.

Deleted
    The community was better and not yet ruined by LFG/LFR.

Arena & pvp was quite fun back than
    BAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHhaha,,,,,,,oh man.....BAHAHAHAHDHHAAA

LOLL

Deleted
    Awesome settings, epic entrance into the xpac, good story progression, arenas, had ok wpvp, good dungeons with good challenging heroics, very low class homogenization.... In the end, I sure had more fun in TBC then in pandaland.

I quite enjoyed the slower pace of PvP and Alterac Valley had not yet completely degenerated into a boss rush fest. There was also more variety between the classes which I think added more flavor and identity to the game even if it wasn't as well balanced. Paladins may not have been considered a "serious" tank like warriors, but I really enjoyed having the AoE tanking niche for myself.

I preferred the raid design over the 'multiple difficulty of the same raid' design.
    I liked raid attunement questlines
    I liked group quests while leveling
    The community was still very social and positive at that time
    I liked the story/lore of the Burning Crusade
    I liked heroic BC dungeons
    I liked that world pvp was thriving in Outlands

There were also things I didn't like and a similar list could be made for vanilla and for other expansions, but that's a different topic.