Poll: Does the influx of costly, low-level items on the Auction House bother you?

Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

Transmogrification causing low-level item prices to soar, what do you think?

I've decided to visit characters I haven't touched for years and years at lower levels and I have noticed something. Prices for lower level items are absurdly huge, hundreds of gold for a single item... I can only assume this was down to transmogrification making those items sought after for the nostalgic and fashionable.

I've got bits of gear missing here and there, and where I once might have been able to check the AH, splash some cash and buy the items, I now I have to lay down almost a thousand gold to replace my missing pieces.

Of course, items are easily gained through quests but there are situations where that isn't an option. I dislike questing, I'd much rather grind dungeons or PVP plus quests don't guarantee you the pieces you want right away, you have to keep going until you hit something that rewards you the right item to match the slot, armor type and stats.

I know this sounds a bit whiney... but I liked having the freedom to improve my character in a multitude of ways. With the auction house now flooded with over-priced (Well, not over-priced... they're obviously worth 400g a piece to someone) items I'm pushed into questing, reducing my options and making me feel like I'm playing a linear, single-player title rather than an MMORPG.

Being on a low population realm doesn't help either, but on my mains server with a much higher pop things aren't that much greener. Hopefully the connected realms feature might help relieve the problem slightly.

So, what do you guys think? Does the influx of high-priced items on the Auction House bother you whilst leveling and do you think it needs a "fix"? (Don't ask me what that fix is; all I can see is a problem and post-solution scenario, not the bits in-between)

10+ Year Old Account
    Its all in the server really. On a high population server like Mal'Ganis where my Horde characters are stationed, I can get a good green/blue for cheap. On a low-med pop realm like Mannoroth where my main is, greens are usually 100g-300g, even for a level 12 +spirit.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    Its all in the server really. On a high population server like Mal'Ganis where my Horde characters are stationed, I can get a good green/blue for cheap. On a low-med pop realm like Mannoroth where my main is, greens are usually 100g-300g, even for a level 12 +spirit.
    Have you noticed any fluctuations with the amount of expensive items of the high pop server, or is there always a decent enough supply of lower level items for good prices?

If you actually buy items for characters while leveling you're doing it wrong. There's virtually no reason to ever do this.

I did dungeons on my Monk all the way to 90 with only a few quests when needed (58-60, etc) and never bought any gear and it was fine as a tank. Yes, I had a level 20 neck at like level 50, but it simply doesn't matter. Just keep grinding instances until you get the pieces you need. Eventually you'll be fine.

I think spending hundreds on gold on transmog is dumb, but spending gold on gear for level 20 characters is more dumb.

Leveling goes so fast that it simply doesn't matter. You'll replace anything you have within hours if not minutes. I wonder whether those players who post low level gear at such high prices ever sell the stuff. Unless, it's really transmorg worthy, I doubt it. It seems that they just mark up everything without regard to whether anyone want it for transmorg purposes.

15+ Year Old Account
    In my personal experience it has been quite a bit of a problem.

It's cool and all! It just is pretty hard to gear up alts plenty of times because even items with little to no Transmog value will cost you a ton of money. It sucks.
    -Retribution, the path of the protector or mender brought to it's natural conclusion; destroying evil before the weak need to be shielded from it, and before it can wound the innocent.
    Fix My DPS | Fix My Heals | Fix My Tanking |

WoW Level Scaling Feature

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    I think it's dumb that self-styled transmog sellers jack up the price of *everything*. There are certain items and sets which have a unique look and get a lot of attention and therefore should command the extra gold. But every last low level green is not transmog fodder and these clowns doing this pretty much ruin the market, for gear and transmog items in general.
    I do agree. There is a nice set (I can't remember it's name) I got on my Shaman that was mail, around level 50-ish and was silver with a gold trim. I spent around 4k on that buying straight from someone who had collected the pieces and felt it worthwhile since it was, as you said, unique. Some of the items look like utter garbage, to the point where their only use (That I can see, anyway) is to either sell for profit or use to boost your stats.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard could nip this in the bud quite easily by offering the same style gear on various vendors in each low-level zone like they do in the higher zones.

Not necessary to fix. Heirlooms cover almost every slot. And if you're a new player and don't have access to them, the low level greens are either quickly replaced by quest gear or dungeon blues. If you don't like the prices, simply don't buy them. If they never sell, these people are forced to either lower their prices, or just vendor them. Either way, no loss on your part.

Leveling gear is easy to come by. I'm more grateful for the chance to make gold when leveling by selling said low level items.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rucati View Post
    If you actually buy items for characters while leveling you're doing it wrong. There's virtually no reason to ever do this.

I did dungeons on my Monk all the way to 90 with only a few quests when needed (58-60, etc) and never bought any gear and it was fine as a tank. Yes, I had a level 20 neck at like level 50, but it simply doesn't matter. Just keep grinding instances until you get the pieces you need. Eventually you'll be fine.

I think spending hundreds on gold on transmog is dumb, but spending gold on gear for level 20 characters is more dumb.
    I understand that gear may come just as fast running dungeons or questing, but it's not my biggest gripe.

What I am saying is that it's limiting the methods I have to improve my character - AKA the biggest selling point of an MMORPG. Grinding instances is all well and good, but I hate feeling so limited in my options where once I had many more open to me.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's dumb that self-styled transmog sellers jack up the price of *everything*. There are certain items and sets which have a unique look and get a lot of attention and therefore should command the extra gold. But every last low level green is not transmog fodder and these clowns doing this pretty much ruin the market, for gear and transmog items in general.
    Pretty much this. I can barely get anything for my alts.

Glad I invested into heirlooms. =/

Quote Originally Posted by Turbotef View Post
    Blizzard could nip this in the bud quite easily by offering the same style gear on various vendors in each low-level zone like they do in the higher zones.
    Eh. I don't really like them undercutting the value of BoEs like that. The Pandaria vendors should have offered items that looked like the relevant quest rewards, instead of making players choose between keeping four different sets of armor and a dozen weapons, or actually having bank space.
    OMG 13:37 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "Cleave unto me, and I shall grant to thee the blessing of eternal salvation."

And His disciples said unto Him, "Can we get Kings instead?"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Xalzel View Post
    Leveling gear is easy to come by. I'm more grateful for the chance to make gold when leveling by selling said low level items.
    Like I said, easy to come by but options and methods of acquiring such gear are being reduced. I don't want to see this continue to the point where we all have to follow a very linear path in terms of gear acquisition whilst leveling. Things get boring, and suddenly every level 40 rogue is wearing the same set of leather armor because they followed the questlines to a tee - I just don't want to see that day come.

- - - Updated - - -

A big market for unwanted low level greens was leveling enchanting, these wannabe transmog scrubs have wrecked that with their greed. None of their items sell, I routinely undercut them by 90% even 95% since they are trying to get 1000g for items not worth anywhere near it.
    I forgot about the low-level Enchanting market. At least they're giving you a slight upper hand with selling your items :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Since quest gear is better then any drops I don't see the problem.
    Aye mate

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vren View Post
    Pretty much this. I can barely get anything for my alts.

Glad I invested into heirlooms. =/
    All my heirlooms left my current server with my main - A choice I wished I hadn't have made.

10+ Year Old Account
    As someone who's hunted collected quite a bit of rare transmog gear to sell (incidentally, while farming for the glorious legplates for a character of mine,) I don't really have a problem with it... It's not that hard to discern what "good" and "bad" transmog pieces are. For example, there's a sort of ruddy red-blue robe that drops off level 55-60 kalmidor monsters with no real distinctive pattern or anything. You could just vendor that. But at the same time, there's also a green-blue robe that also drops off of level 55-60 kalimdor monsters with the pattern of a giant spider on the front. Selling that alone could easily net 2-4k gold.

What I WOULD like is Blizzard adding back random greens that have inadvertently been removed from the game simply due to the level shifts of zones... for example, there was a brown cloth vest that exactly matches Harrison Jones' outfit... I had a whole "adventurer" mage transmog outfit planned out... only to find that said vest, the only one of its color, used to only drop from a level 11 rare leper gnome outside gnomeregan... and while the leper gnome is still there, he's now a level 4 rare, and the game wont acknowledge his ability to drop the item anymore because he's now too low a level to drop it.

That's the kind of thing I think they should fix.

Oh, and also bringing back the old scholomance/scarlet monastery transmog pieces in some way.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Airwaves View Post
    Since quest gear is better then any drops I don't see the problem.
    Some may dislike questing, as well as a very linear upgrade path. Having the ability to upgrade the odd piece here and there appeals to me, not to mention I like the thought of looking unique - if everyone followed quests to the tee then everyone would look the same. Of course, transmogrification does help relieve this but then you're relying on either the expensive AH items or drops to make yourself look pretty.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Desparatus View Post
    Some may dislike questing, as well as a very linear upgrade path. Having the ability to upgrade the odd piece here and there appeals to me, not to mention I like the thought of looking unique - if everyone followed quests to the tee then everyone would look the same. Of course, transmogrification does help relieve this but then you're relying on either the expensive AH items or drops to make yourself look pretty.
    You'd only be wearing that green for at max 2 or 3 levels.
    “Do not lose time on daily trivialities. Do not dwell on petty detail. For all of these things melt away and drift apart within the obscure traffic of time. Live well and live broadly. You are alive and living now. Now is the envy of all of the dead.” ~ Emily3, World of Tomorrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Kaleredar is right...
    Words to live by.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaleredar View Post
    You'd only be wearing that green for at max 2 or 3 levels.
    Are the models not very similar, just with different colour variations? (This isn't rhetorical, I genuinely cannot say for certain since I haven't quested for large chunks
    of levels at a time since the revamp).

Besides, if we go back to the scenario of everyone following the same questlines to progress, surely you'd be interacting with people of the same level, thus with the same gear and same look.