Thread: Tinker Class

Page 51 of 63 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Teriz View Post
    LoL, I was thinking the same thing. I do believe you're on the right track though.

If you're going to use a turret system, you should definitely divide them up based on jobs. For example, in my concept, I utilized Pocket Factory to do something different for each spec. Like tanking PF sends out repair bots to help your hammer tank from failing. Healing PF sends out robots that heal you and allies. DPS PF produces robot mines that seek out targets and explode. I think you did that already with yours though.

I don't think you need to worry about stat conversions with Tanking. Your ranged tank can work just fine as an agility tank, and a DPS spec works fine with agility as well. The issue is with a healing spec. You're going to need a way to convert your AGI guns into INT weapons. There's a couple of ways you can get around that problem though;

1. Give the healing spec a custom ranged weapon that is used for healing.
    2. Allow your Tinker to construct their own guns from existing ranged weapons (i.e. : taking a bow or crossbow and constructing a gun out of it.).
    3. Have your INT spec focus on robotics and healing, but use INT Melee weapons instead of ranged.
    Passive Ability : Weapon Customization: your melee / ranged weapons add intellect to your character equal to 25% of their total non-INT stat points. this may overlap with reforging a little bit, but it doesn't remove any stats. only adds additional INT to you based on your current weapons. so any weapon you equip will automatically increase your intellect based on it's stats.

this is a very cheap way to fix the +AGI weapon issue but I'm sure Blizz can find a better way.

+INT is used by turrets and other creations to increase their damage (the smarter a tinker = the more effective his creations.)
    Last edited by Gamevizier; 2013-09-14 at 04:12 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I want to be able to summon four quillbeasts that can fight in range, while I'm fighting in melee. Why can't I do that on my Hunter? You told me that the Hunter had ALL of the Beast Master's abilities. What gives?
    Summon pet

the Beastmaster doesn't tame animals. He summons them through abilities. Its a summon, not a pet. A good comparison would be the Shaman totem system. Its really nothing like the Hunter system.
    Well maybe they will add a BM in game than

The same concept doesn't equal the same ability.
    both abilities do the same thing

Find me a level 90 Hunter wearing leather armor. Oh, and your leather-wearing Demon Hunter can wear cloth.
    Hunters can wear leather locks can't was the point

Rogues have that ability. Unless you seriously want to argue exact abilities after attempting (and failing) to try to make the case that the Hunter pet system works like the Beast Master summon system.
    Rogues have a on use ability of it different than passive kinda like how dk and locks have death coil

No longer exists in WoW. Let it go.
    Still an ability they had in wC3

I can't be a half orc/ogre Hunter either.
    Hybrids are not playable race neither is ogres they could add a BM I am sure.

- - - Updated - - -

Tinkers:

+Have all their WC3 abilities.
    most are too op for wow and the it was a april fools joke.

+Have little to no overlap with existing classes.
    Conflicts with a profession theme.

+Fit in the mail armor slot.
    Well, if you do a breakdown of the classes and what armor they use...

DPS Plate - 5
    Tank Plate - 3
    Int Plate - 1

Agi Mail - 4
    Int Mail - 2

Agi Leather - 7
    Int Leather - 3

DPS Cloth - 7
    Spirit Cloth - 3

We're totally getting a plate wearing caster next.

+Add lore to two underutilized races.
    I don't see them adding a class for 2 races

+Could perform any role.
    Again do not see how a tinker could tank or heal. We have enough tanks in game as it is what notch in tanking could they fill? they going have 4 specs like druids? no

-Need a more serious tone than previously shown
    As blizzard said too whimsical

Demon Hunters:

+Popular among hardcore fans
    Popular among fans also more will known than tinker

-Overlap with multiple classes
    2 abilities are overlaped with warlocks nothing more

-Melee only
    Monks were the same in WC3 but got 3 specs in wow

-WC3 abilities are farmed out to other classes.
    2 abilities to 1 class

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rhamses View Post
    Well, there goes the Tinker discussion.
    not like this is thread 9 about them or anything

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Thimagryn View Post
    Just cleaned that up a bit.
    Notice how he ignored it? lol

Just let it die. Teriz is trying to promote the idea. He bumps the thread every chance he gets.

Quote Originally Posted by Simulatio View Post
    A handful of people nut-busting about it on various forums does not equal popularity, and popularity does not equal good design.

Deleted
    I like this concept as well. It would be interesting to see a ranged technology class that uses guns that can heal, tank, or DPS. SWOTR showed how a tanking class could use ranged weapons. I don't see why WoW couldn't do the same.

So in essence, we have your concept, which uses guns and turrets. You have my concept of the Hammer Tank (robotic arms), we have the concept from Alesueis(sp?) that merges Tinkers with potion style alchemy, and we have the concept from Drilnos (I think) that involved spider tanks and sky golems.

Many directions Blizzard could go. I think the chances for this class to be implemented gets higher and higher as the days go by. Might not make it into e next expansion, but I can't really imagine another class that has a better shot.
    A tank that uses only ranged weapons is too SWTOR-like.
    A tank that mixes ranged weapons with piston hammers than that is more tinker-like. And more my style .
    I see you mentioned all these possible "directions" of many separate concepts that are supposed to work on their own but I felt like mentioning my concept since it is actually a perfect blend of all the above concepts put into one single, representation of the Tinker class.
    just my 2 and a half cents =)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by But I Hate You All View Post
    Summon pet
    Its Call Pet. And it doesn't do what the Beastmaster abilities did.

Well maybe they will add a BM in game than
    Using the ridiculous arguments from DH proponents, they should, since clearly massive class concept overlap means nothing.

both abilities do the same thing
    Please show me where Dire Beast is within the Beastmaster ability list.

Hunters can wear leather locks can't was the point
    And leather classes can wear cloth. So a theoretical DH class could wear Warlock gear right?

Rogues have a on use ability of it different than passive kinda like how dk and locks have death coil
    Um no. Evasion active does the same thing as Evasion passive. The only difference is that one's passive and one's active. Lock and DK DC were NOTHING alike.

I also enjoy your ridiculous level of hypocrisy here. To you, Evasion Rogue isn't the same as Demon Hunter Evasion (even though Demon Hunter NPCs used the Rogue ability), yet you're trying to argue that Dire Beast is the same as the Beast Master's summon abilities?

Still an ability they had in wC3
    Yeah, and Priests had it in WoW. Again ALL of the DH's abilities were taken by other classes.

Hybrids are not playable race neither is ogres they could add a BM I am sure.
    You can't get an NE Warlock, I can't get a Ogre/Orc hybrid Hunter. Such is life.

most are too op for wow and the it was a april fools joke.
    So were Pandaren and Brewmasters. Both are pretty awesome in WoW, wouldn't you agree?

Conflicts with a profession theme.
    Professions aren't classes.

Well, if you do a breakdown of the classes and what armor they use...
    We're totally getting a plate wearing caster next.
    And what class would that be?

I don't see them adding a class for 2 races
    That's only one of many reasons.

Again do not see how a tinker could tank or heal.
    You can't see how a technology class can tank when the very name "tank" comes from a technological device that mows over opposition? You don't see how a Technology class can heal when we have medical technology everywhere?

Yeah....

2 abilities are overlaped with warlocks nothing more
    And Rogues, and formerly Priests.

Monks were the same in WC3 but got 3 specs in wow
    Brewmaster abilities were never farmed out to other classes. Additionally, Monk is a massive archetype.

2 abilities to 1 class
    You keep forgetting Evasion (Rogues) and Mana Burn (Priests) for some reason.

Notice how he ignored it? lol
    Just getting this thread back on track. No use wasting time talking about the Demon Hunter class in a thread dedicated to Tinkers.

Consider this my last post in this thread dealing with this DH crap. I've made my point.
    Last edited by Teriz; 2013-09-14 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Talen View Post
    Monks didn't get those perks either. And they are a full class. And I'm not even counting the Warlocks fel steed.
    They have their own training hub, their own trainers, their own gear, their own animations. Anything you propose for Demon Hunters will never be for Demon Hunters, they will be for Warlocks in general. They have to stick with a design format that would make sense for all other specs as well.

You think DHs have tattoos and blind themselves...but don't seem willing to ask - are these actually necessary to be a DH?
    For a player character? Yes. It's one of the most iconic pieces of lore and a significant part of the reason why they are so badass. Take that away? You're just any other class who can use Warglaives. Might as well play a Rogue who transmogs with blindfolds. I mean really, I can do that right now, so why else would I be asking for a Demon Hunter class if what you are saying doesn't make any difference from a Rogue RPing as a Demon Hunter?

Can you be a Demon Hunter who isn't tattooted? Who isn't blinded?

The answer is yes. Illidari DHs are neither tattooed nor blinded. Nor did anyone question whether they were or were not DHs until they were used as an example to show how you and some others were wrong in how you saw DHs.
    You mean... Illidari Demon Hunter... trainees? They're trainees... They haven't gone through the full training yet. Leotheras the Blind is an example of one of the Illidari who have completed the training, and even in his background he is one of the 5 first to be trained, 3 having died during training. With that and the rituals in mind, it should be important and assumed that the Spectral Sight ritual is likely something that is given once training is completed. As well as being the thing that causes such a high mortality rate for the class.

At a stage where you object to the idea that the DH class can be appended to Warlocks ina convincing manner because:
    Illidan wasn't a Demon Hunter - Never said that
    Warlocks will steal Warlock loot - Melee class using Cloth loot for tanking. There is no tanking cloth, so this affects Mages and Shadow Priests too.
    Those Demon Hunters with no tattoos or blindness? They aren't Demon Hunters. - Correct. Just as a Death Knight isn't a Death Knight if he were still living.
    DHs won't get a cool class mount if they are a Warlock sub spec - It's the full presentation. You will never get Demon Hunter-specific perks, like a hub zone, or special trainers. As a Warlock, you can swap specs any time. You could be an Affliction Lock sharing every same benefit a 'Demon Hunter' does.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DonQShot View Post
    A tank that uses only ranged weapons is too SWTOR-like.
    Nah. Ranged tanking can work just like it does in SWTOR. Ranged tanks in SWTOR work just like melee tanks.

A tank that mixes ranged weapons with piston hammers than that is more tinker-like. And more my style .
    I see you mentioned all these possible "directions" of many separate concepts that are supposed to work on their own but I felt like mentioning my concept since it is actually a perfect blend of all the above concepts put into one single, representation of the Tinker class.
    just my 2 and a half cents =)
    Sorry about that Don. I liked your concept as well. Just haven't seen you around these parts in awhile.

Deleted
    Nah. Ranged tanking can work just like it does in SWTOR. Ranged tanks in SWTOR work just like melee tanks.

Sorry about that Don. I liked your concept as well. Just haven't seen you around these parts in awhile.
    thanks for the politeness but you didn't vote Yes on my concept yet. Just a joke to break the ice =p.
    But I still think that a full out based ranged "weapon"-not magic as in my invoker concept- is best suited for SWTOR or another space futuristic kind of game.
    A WOW tinker should not be capable of handling or building up heavy weaponry to fend off enemies without at least the help of magic- a la magetech.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DonQShot View Post
    thanks for the politeness but you didn't vote Yes on my concept yet. Just a joke to break the ice =p.
    But I still think that a full out based ranged "weapon"-not magic as in my invoker concept- is best suited for SWTOR or another space futuristic kind of game.
    A WOW tinker should not be capable of handling or building up heavy weaponry to fend off enemies without at least the help of magic- a la magetech.
    Well we don't know which way Blizzard would go with a technology class, so everything is fair game. Only thing Blizzard has said on the topic is that it shouldn't be too whimsical or too silly.

I still think the Hammer tank (robo-arms) version of a technology class is the most likely. Not only does it give the class a unique look, but it also removes a lot of problems like the lack of INT gear, and creating a firm separation from this class and Hunters. It also properly ties the class to Gnomish and Goblin roots.

Look, I don't hate tinkers. But Demon Hunters are def the next class in WoW. It's needed them since fucking alpha.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Verain View Post
    Look, I don't hate tinkers. But Demon Hunters are def the next class in WoW. It's needed them since fucking alpha.
    Blizzard would never introduce a class into the game that shares the same name with an existing class. It would cause too much confusion within the classes.

That along with the core Demon Hunter abilities being in the spell book of other classes.

And of course we just got a new leather wearing agility class.
    Last edited by Teriz; 2013-09-15 at 12:35 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard would never introduce a class into the game that shares the same name with an existing class. It would cause too much confusion within the classes.

That along with the core Demon Hunter abilities being in the spell book of other classes.

And of course we just got a new leather wearing agility class.

How hello mr blizzard employee since you know so much on what blizzard will and will not do please tell me when epic gems are coming out

Quote Originally Posted by Verain View Post
    I really don't think the game needs another all melee class.

And yeah, Demon Hunters would be all melee.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhamses View Post
    I really don't think the game needs another all melee class.

And yeah, Demon Hunters would be all melee.
    Just like how monks were

Quote Originally Posted by But I Hate You All View Post
    Just like how monks were
    Yeah, just like Monks were. Even their healing spec has a strong melee component.

Saw this for sale on a Jeeves. It's just some Engineering garbage.

http://www.wowhead.com/item=90146/tinkers-kit

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Thimagryn View Post
    They have their own training hub, their own trainers, their own gear, their own animations. Anything you propose for Demon Hunters will never be for Demon Hunters, they will be for Warlocks in general. They have to stick with a design format that would make sense for all other specs as well.
    Yes. Of course, that doesn't mean we'll never see other classes get their own little organisations. Unlikely, not impossible. And new animations were needed due to the monks new figthing style. New moves may also require new animations for other classes and woudln't be guaranteed for any new class...DHs woudl liekly jsut use appropriate melee and casting animations. But the core point remains...one of the reasons you have given for keeping Warlocks and DHs separate is - you don't get the bling. That, however, has nothing to do with the feasibility of creating a DH as a 4th spec.

For a player character? Yes.
    So, then...as far as the class itself is concerned then, the answer is no.

It's one of the most iconic pieces of lore and a significant part of the reason why they are so badass.
    I don't see Paladins with Librams either. Nor do I see any option for Dwarven tattooos so I can RP a Wildhammer. This is a purely cosmetic option. Regardless of what it actually means or does in lore, in game it has no impact on gameplay and thus bearing on class design or implemntation.

You mean... Illidari Demon Hunter... trainees?
    They are advanced enough in their studies to have the DH title. Studying under a Master of the craft doens't make you an apprentice and it doesn't make you untrained.

Warlocks will steal Warlock loot - Melee class using Cloth loot for tanking. There is no tanking cloth, so this affects Mages and Shadow Priests too.
    So what? You are objecting to a Warlock taking Warlock loot. You may as well object to a Guardian druid taking AGI leather because then the Feral druid loses out. I mean...seriously?! So what if he ends up usign cloth gear for tanking. It's still his gear.

Those Demon Hunters with no tattoos or blindness? They aren't Demon Hunters. - Correct.
    I see. Blizzard just calls them Demon Hunters. In reality, they are florists.

DHs won't get a cool class mount if they are a Warlock sub spec - It's the full presentation. You will never get Demon Hunter-specific perks, like a hub zone, or special trainers.
    And why exactly are they needed for a class design or implementation? And why can't Blizzard bring in NElf DHs to act as Warlock trainers? And whats stopping Blizzard adding the perk anyway...with DHs getting a little shrine or monastery for their "order" somewhere in Darnassus or Hyjal for example? Would that be objectionable if Warlocks could go there as well?

As a Warlock, you can swap specs any time. You could be an Affliction Lock sharing every same benefit a 'Demon Hunter' does.
    And vice versa. DHs will get the Felsteed for example.

However.....leaving aside the cosmetic fluff and lore objections, I will ask you this:

Given the already high degree of overlap, can Blizzard expand upon the existing Demonology spec and Glyph to create a working and viable tanking 4th spec for Warlocks based upon the DH concept?

EJL
    Last edited by Talen; 2013-09-15 at 07:19 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Futhark View Post
    Saw this for sale on a Jeeves. It's just some Engineering garbage.

http://www.wowhead.com/item=90146/tinkers-kit
    Just FYI, a technology class doesn't need to be called a Tinker. Like Brewmasters, Tinker could just be a spec name..

They are advanced enough in their studies to have the DH title. Studying under a Master of the craft doens't make you an apprentice and it doesn't make you untrained.
    The Illidari Demon Hunters without spectral sight are all trainees, that's why they're called 'Demon Hunter Initiates'. And who is training them? Fully fledged masters like Leotheras the blind. If they were true demon hunters, I'm pretty sure they'd pose more of a threat than being regular trash mobs.

Thoughts of a Tinker class? If not now maybe down the road?
    I've said before it depends on the treatment. Too easy for that class to be too wacky or precious. (Source)
    A more steampunk vibe sounds cool to me. A dude in a mech having misfires that poop out springs and gears less so. (Source)
    I don't know. Lucca from Chrono Trigger could work. A little bit of gnomish (tee hee) world enlarger goes a long way IMO. (Source)
    But maybe one of the designers will come up with a pitch perfect design that blows us away someday. Shrug. (Source)
    Can we put this class to bed for now then?