Thread: game keys

Deleted

game keys

i would like clear rules on whether its allowed or not.

giving keys away is brilliant imo.. but when people are trying to profit from game keys it just causes problems for people with potential scams and its even worse when these keys come directly from humble bundle or similar deals.

Selling anything on these forums is illegal. Report it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Selling anything on these forums is illegal. Report it.
    trading seems to be allowed in official threads.. like the steam trade thread. The thread is great for cards, tradable gifts etc but game keys arent allowed on steam and it should have clear rules on here saying whether its allowed or not.

15+ Year Old Account
    Scams are why we don't allow selling. If people want to *give* away keys for free, as in, post them in the thread or whatever, I think that's fine.

If they're trying to get money or use that to get rich or if there's a scam I'm not thinking of, please report the post / PM a mod or me / whatever.

Deleted
    wanting anything for a game key is potentially a scam.. but okay ill just report.

Quote Originally Posted by Insanoflex View Post
    trading seems to be allowed in official threads.. like the steam trade thread. The thread is great for cards, tradable gifts etc but game keys arent allowed on steam and it should have clear rules on here saying whether its allowed or not.
    Sunshine doesn't seem to get it so I'll chime in again.

The difference is those trades are legitimate because its through stream and there's no way the other person can't give you what you want.

Beta keys are different because you have to hope you can trust the person you're trading.

I don't think there is any rule on this matter, it's probably "discouraged" here, but I think you should expect that if you get scammed, you can't blame MMOC or ask them to ban the user or anything like that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine View Post
    Scams are why we don't allow selling. If people want to *give* away keys for free, as in, post them in the thread or whatever, I think that's fine.

If they're trying to get money or use that to get rich or if there's a scam I'm not thinking of, please report the post / PM a mod or me / whatever.
    It'd be something like this. I'll use WoW since we all played WoW.

I, Blueobelisk, have a WoW 30 day time card I don't need, and I play WoW. I want to trade my 30 day time card for 50k of Insanoflex's in game gold. Is it allowed on MMO-C is his question.

10+ Year Old Account
    I, Blueobelisk, have a WoW 30 day time card I don't need, and I play WoW. I want to trade my 30 day time card for 50k of Insanoflex's in game gold. Is it allowed on MMO-C is his question.
    No. It's not allowed. We can't verify the legitimacy of the transaction nor do we want to be responsible for it.

We've had this discussion, and I flat-out disagree with you. If you read the entire article that you previously linked, it states why doing such is risky, which is a lot different than saying "Do not do this under any circumstances." And, regardless if it is not allowed (which, again, if it wasn't, there'd be a metric fuck-ton of banned accounts), taking simple precautions allows you to, well, not get scammed.

Step 1: Look for them on Steamrep.com; are they marked as scammers?
    Step 2: Is their profile private? If yes, ignore them entirely. There is no reason traders have private profiles except to scam. Period.
    Step 3: Look at a multiple of factors, including games owned, years registered on Steam, etc. Does that account have 5 games and registered this month? Yeah, I'm not trading with them.

Doing this drastically cuts down on your chances of getting screwed over. And most of it is common sense, really. I trade keys all the time on http://www.steamtrades.com/forum, and the system really is quite simple: the trader with the lower amount of reputation goes first. This ensures that either 1.) They're scammers and will continue their path of either screwing people over (and will have negative reputation on their profile, as they cannot delete it with admin intervention and proof), or continue trading legitimately, or 2.) they recently got hacked, and there's nothing you can do about that under any circumstance.

i would like clear rules on whether its allowed or not.

giving keys away is brilliant imo.. but when people are trying to profit from game keys it just causes problems for people with potential scams and its even worse when these keys come directly from humble bundle or similar deals.
    Since this thread is going nowhere, kudos on signature - reminds me of thedailywtf article.

15+ Year Old Account
    Sunshine doesn't seem to get it so I'll chime in again.

The difference is those trades are legitimate because its through stream and there's no way the other person can't give you what you want.

Beta keys are different because you have to hope you can trust the person you're trading.

I don't think there is any rule on this matter, it's probably "discouraged" here, but I think you should expect that if you get scammed, you can't blame MMOC or ask them to ban the user or anything like that.

- - - Updated - - -

It'd be something like this. I'll use WoW since we all played WoW.

Any sort of trade isn't allowed, for in-game money or out-of-game money or other games or anything else. If you want to give something away for free, asking nothing in return, go for it.

Not sure what I'm "not getting" here; I thought I was pretty clear.

Deleted
    well thanks for the clarification.. was disappointed that a mod wouldnt respond to my earlier query on the subject and on the lack of or failed action taken on my reports but ill continue to report posts now i know mmo-champs stance.

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    No. It's not allowed. We can't verify the legitimacy of the transaction nor do we want to be responsible for it.
    Any sort of trade isn't allowed, for in-game money or out-of-game money or other games or anything else. If you want to give something away for free, asking nothing in return, go for it.
    What, uhh, is the problem with trading? Of any kind?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    What, uhh, is the problem with trading? Of any kind?
    Problem is scammers.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Problem is scammers.
    How is it possible to scam when they both put up items in the trade window and get exchanged at the same time? I mean, I can understand the reasoning for prohibiting selling gold for gametime, or X Origin game for Y Steam game, but saying that ALL trading is prohibited seems a tad to much in my eyes.

Not sure what I'm "not getting" here; I thought I was pretty clear.
    Trades conducted via the Steam Client ensure you can see exactly what is being traded, not unlike in-game trades in WoW.
    I certainly understand the rules when it comes to more open-ended trades where that control does not exist, such as the WoW gametime card, or other items based on codes.
    Though I am not sure what happens regarding trades of items purchased with stolen credit cards, so perhaps that might be a factor the needs taken into account.
    I don't know how Valve handles that.

15+ Year Old Account
    Speaking for the Video Games section only: the only trade thread we have on here is the Steam trade thread. This is Steam Games for Steam Games only. There is a reason we delete posts and edit those looking for trades outside of Steam.

The only other keys allowed on here are those that are given away, as Sunshine said, and the person isn't looking for anything but a "thank you" in return
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by icedwarrior View Post
    How is it possible to scam when they both put up items in the trade window and get exchanged at the same time? I mean, I can understand the reasoning for prohibiting selling gold for gametime, or X Origin game for Y Steam game, but saying that ALL trading is prohibited seems a tad to much in my eyes.
    It's not the steam one that's troublesome, cause you can see it happen and go on. It's the other ones you mentioned that's the problem. Which is why there's only a steam trade thread.

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, there's that one exception. But the general rule still stands.

Anyway, there are plenty of other sites if you'd like to trade/sell games/things outside of that.