Prot loot specialization question

Hey guys.

I've just started playing my pala again. And atm im ret spec, but i really want to start tanking a bit.
    I understand the stat priorities for prot, and im wondering, when im raiding should i switch between prot and ret loot specialization depending on the boss loot? (does this even work? :P ) or just stick with one or the other?

~Synnara <3

Yes you should switch. The main thing is going to be trinks that count as Ret.
    what

damn, thanks for super fast response <3

guess ill switch and hope for the best then

Most of the time you want to pick ret.
    There are a few exceptions with bosses that drop 1H or shield - we've covered most of them in the sticky but the discussion should be quite a few pages back.
    For t15 pretty much all ret except for Lei Shen/Twins and maybe Qon.

Considering haste items aren't on prot's item list despite Blizz adding haste to T16 prot gear, you'll want to get Ret gear for most fights. Make sure to check the loot tables for shields, 1h weapons, and trinkets. Wowhead has the loot tables, as does MMO-C through wowdb.com.
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    Noodles and chocolate milk is the breakfast of Champions.
    Super Brony Friendfinder

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnara View Post
    when im raiding should i switch between prot and ret loot specialization depending on the boss loot? (does this even work? :P ) or just stick with one or the other?
    You should be in the right loot spec before the boss dies. But have time to change spec for the bonus roll.

What drops you want depend on what you already have. For example, I tended to value shields and weapons (and hence pick prot or even holy on some bosses) more than some because those are slots I can't fill from valor points. Even now, my lowest item level slot is my shield (which I got by picking prot spec for hc scenarios).

It's best to make a list of what drops from each boss and choosing your loot spec accordingly. The best resource for doing this is probably the in game dungeon guide as it has loot tables you can filter by spec.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by econ21 View Post
    You should be in the right loot spec before the boss dies.
    You have to be out of combat to be able to change the loot specialization, as far as I can remember.

Quote Originally Posted by econ21 View Post
    Even now, my lowest item level slot is my shield (which I got by picking prot spec for hc scenarios).
    The loot specialization has no effect on dungeons (normals or heroics) or scenarios (normals or heroics). Best example: lately I had loot specialization set to Holy and in the last heroic scenario I've got a ret something while being in prot spec..

Quote Originally Posted by SirRaven View Post
    You have to be out of combat to be able to change the loot specialization, as far as I can remember.
    No, you can change it whenever you like.

The loot specialization has no effect on dungeons (normals or heroics) or scenarios (normals or heroics). Best example: lately I had loot specialization set to Holy and in the last heroic scenario I've got a ret something while being in prot spec..
    It also applies to bags from heroic scenarios. Note that the loot spec counts that you have active while opening the heroic satchel, and not what you had when completing the scenario. No idea about normal scenarios though.

No, you can change your loot specialization in combat (well, at least in LFR, don't know about normal since it doesn't have any effect for my main anyway, him being a poor hunter )

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post

It also applies to bags from heroic scenarios. Note that the loot spec counts that you have active while opening the heroic satchel, and not what you had when completing the scenario. No idea about normal scenarios though.
    All evidence to the contrary, buddy..

Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post

Considering I've gotten holy loot from heroic scenario satchels, when I've never had my loot spec set to holy, I'd say they completely ignore loot spec and just go based off class.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    Considering I've gotten holy loot from heroic scenario satchels, when I've never had my loot spec set to holy, I'd say they completely ignore loot spec and just go based off class.
    Well considering I've never gotten something not fitting my loot specialization, and it explicitly is mentioned in the loot spec patch notes ("This includes items obtained through bonus rolls, Raid Finder loot, the Heroic Scenarios coming in patch 5.3, and Mists of Pandaria quests.") I would say you are mistaken.

The only "flaw" still ingame is the rogue spec, because you will also receive non-dagger weapons if you are assasination specced from heroic satchels (not so in LFR).

Quote Originally Posted by rhandric View Post
    Only from the blue bags(which only come from 2nd+ heroic scenario which is regular scenario loot) So no it wasn't from heroic scenario and instead from a normal scenario which don't seem to follow the loot spec rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Jellospally View Post
    Only from the blue bags(which only come from 2nd+ heroic scenario which is regular scenario loot) So no it wasn't from heroic scenario and instead from a normal scenario which don't seem to follow the loot spec rule.
    That might be the case, I can't remember whether it was from the heroic satchel or the normal satchel at this point, just that I have gotten holy gear from scenario satchels after running a heroic scenario...ah well

Quote Originally Posted by Ryngo Blackratchet View Post
    Yeah, Rhandric is right, as usual.

All evidence to the contrary, buddy..
    I just did a heroic scenario as prot, switched to ret to open the box and got a 2Hander.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

Quote Originally Posted by durrtygoodz View Post
    I just did a heroic scenario as prot, switched to ret to open the box and got a 2Hander.
    Same for me

Quote Originally Posted by Synnara View Post
    Hey guys.

I've just started playing my pala again. And atm im ret spec, but i really want to start tanking a bit.
    I understand the stat priorities for prot, and im wondering, when im raiding should i switch between prot and ret loot specialization depending on the boss loot? (does this even work? :P ) or just stick with one or the other?

~Synnara <3
    Definitely switch!