Page 4 of 200 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seezer View Post
    Yeah, Im sure you have a great job. People with your mentality have zero social grace and rarely have good jobs.
    I never tip and I'm retiring by 30. Might want to re-think whatever it is you think in order to justify supplementing underpaid labour.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkrulerxxx View Post
    This is not the same thread as i have a different approach to tipping, i am not asking if tipping is required, i am asking in relation to that statement that if you only have enough money for dinner but not enough for tip, should you not go?
    Semantics at best. What you're asking boils down to the same thing, albeit a step ever so slightly further down the line. ''Should I not go? Depends. Should you tip? Well..''

Not going anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCommunistBias View Post
    So? Shouldn't have slacked at school and expected people to sustain your livelihood by tips. Also, the actual wage is much higher than that in almost every state. Most waiters/waitresses get paid ~$10.00 per hour in California, for example.
    Wow, now you're just making crap up. I worked as a server in San Diego. My brother currently does. They all make the state minimum wage.

Quote Originally Posted by James Tiberius Kirk View Post
    I never tip and I'm retiring by 30. Might want to re-think whatever it is you think in order to justify supplementing underpaid labour.
    Retiring by 30 because you're a cheapskate? That must be some nest egg you're sitting on avoiding all of those $5 payments now and then.

Some people are just such A-holes.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by steale View Post
    It's customary to tip in America. Employers can get away with it because of that custom. If you don't want to tip, drag your cheap ass through the drive thru window of McDonald's and don't waste a servers time and money expecting them to pay for the privelege of refilling your drink.
    I eat at restaurants that pay their staff sufficiently.

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    You don't get tips in IT because the wages and salaries are adjusted under the assumption of not receiving tips. Whereas in North America service personnel are paid lower wages under the assumption that they will receive tips.

Pro tip: If tipping was considered customary for IT professionals, then you would probably get paid minimum wage, and you'd be crying about everybody who didn't tip you.
    So to summarise:

"Hey guys, I took a job that I knew would pay jack shit, and I know I am completely dependant on the selfish nature of human beings. But still I will rage about it!"

And don't start the "it's the only job they can get" bullshit. I live in europe, Holland to be exact, with worse jobs per person than America ever will have. And even here people can still easily find a job (if you're not lazy, or a teacher)

If you're in the US and go out to eat then you tip, period. If you don't believe in tipping (which really means you are a fat fuck who is just cheap) then stick to McDonalds for filling your face.

I honestly almost feel bad for anyone in this country who frequents the same restaurants in their area and get the same server, but never tip. Because I guarantee you that you have eaten your share of jizz/snot/spit filled, dropped right on the floor and put back on the plate food. You deserve it too.

If you're in Europe then no biggie, servers actually get paid a proper wage. Telling servers to bitch about the "system" to get better wages won't change anything. Conform to the way it works or you can insist on being cheap and never tipping and just eat a shit-filled sandwich or have to plot out where you're going to eat like you're robbing a bank in order to avoid bad food. Cause we never forget the people who leave no tip (Because you're actually the tiny minority).

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Veyne View Post
    You are absolutely hilarious. You should seriously consider making a career out of comedy.

Just don't blame me when you come home every night smelling of putrid produce. But your lack of shame makes me somehow believe you wouldn't mind.

(Yeah, you're an ass.)
    Nice, the word 'hilarious' within the first sentence, joke about comedy and then completely random ad hominem. Never seen any of that before.

I think this thread's about run it's course and officially just turned into ''To tip or not to tip'' again, which someone summed up in the second or third reply as I recall.

Quote Originally Posted by Masochist View Post
    anyone can do what they do, it's a miracle that people are willing to be bitched at by them and continue to act like they have broken legs, or they'd be out of a goddamn job and bitching about how they have no job at all.
    No. Not everyone has the thick skin it takes to work customer service.

With an attitude like that........ I'd be willing to bet a fair amout of food terrorism happens to you. Enjoy.

Deleted
    Either way, it's still misguided anger. If the government taxes on the understanding that you will receive tips, then be pissed at the government. Doesn't the US still have unions in most industries? What are they doing?

That truly is an ignorant thing to say. When I eat at a place like red lobster, its special. Me and my gf go there once a year for our anniversary. We save up money months in advance to go out to a show + dinner. We usually try to keep some left over for a tip since the waiter is doing a lot of work. How much they get depends on the service the provided. At places like a buffet, don't even expect a tip from me. You take away plates and refill drinks. Its like doing half the work. I sometimes tip if they were pleasant and over all very attentive about our needs.

One time I went somewhere that the waitress was so lazy, she brought over a full cup of soda and left it so we would refill our own drinks. Then when we got up to get seconds, we sat back down and the dishes were still there while she was at the other side of the room having social hour with her friend. Needless to say, she got no tips. My gf is in the habit of tipping because she was in that position once before when she was a teen, but I help reel it in for cases where the waiter is just lousy.

I don't care what state, what country I live in. A tip is always optional. Just because the social norm is to tip, doesn't mean I will. I will enjoy my dinner just fine while understanding there are Plenty of others who will tip them.

Quote Originally Posted by lanerios View Post
    So to summarise:

"Hey guys, I took a job that I knew would pay jack shit, and I know I am completely dependant on the selfish nature of human beings. But still I will rage about it!"

And don't start the "it's the only job they can get" bullshit. I live in europe, Holland to be exact, with worse jobs per person than America ever will have. And even here people can still easily find a job (if you're not lazy, or a teacher)

Judging by your attitude towards people who work entry-level jobs I'm going to guess you're either a 5 year old with unrealistic ambitions, or mommy and daddy paid your way through college.

You're going to deny it now, but the beautiful thing about the truth is that you can lie to us, you can lie to yourself, but it doesn't go away.

It isn't gratuity when it's expected... Tipping is a joke. Maybe I should tip my doctor, accountant and barber as well. Ludicrous.
    Hairdressers want tips now, so do some financial advisers I know. Doctors would be asking by now if they weren't already paid way too much.

"If you can't afford to tip then you can't afford to eat out"
    Well this is totally true. I dont understand why people people think they can have someone take their order, give it to the servers correctly, keep your service friendly, refill your drinks constantly, SERVE you the food, Clean up after you, and make sure your stay is great. That is what you are paying for. If you dont want to do it, make your own damned food. Or go to through the drivethrough.

Why get pissed off when someone didn't tip you? You're paid for the job you do... If you feel that pay is inadequate, be pissed at your company.

This is the fucking problem with America... you're angry at the wrong people. It isn't the customer's problem you're underpaid and it sure as shit isn't their obligation to pay you for a service they've already paid for. Be angry at your employer for putting you in that position.
    and see, attitudes like this Presume that they aren't part of the problem. Servers are traditionally and even today a "pay based on quality of service" since "quality of service" is the entire job. You dont get to lecture people just because you make the presumption that it is like other jobs.

i mean ". It isn't the customer's problem you're underpaid and it sure as shit isn't their obligation to pay you for a service they've already paid for. Be angry at your employer for putting you in that position" !?!?!?! What sort of cheap, stupid parents did you have to raise you to think that? When you look at your bill the reason why it shows you a price for each item is because that is the price for THAT item. You should be lucky they just dont put the service bit into the bill itself. Because many places do that. Hell have you seen prices for room-service food?

When you go to a restaurant you are NOT just paying for food. You are thinking of a grocery store. You are paying, and tipping, to be able to be a blue blooded 1st world country problem pompous person that sits there and wears out their leather seats and takes up space while you talk with your loud obnoxious friends for an hour and let some hard working citizen walk back and forth and serve you and 5 other groups food and drink and cater to your whims and then clean up after you because you are to lazy to do it yourself.

And yes, i do that too. But I know what I'm paying for and i'm grateful to my servers and tip them as much as i can afford, because i'm not a lazy cheap jerk who thinks the world revolves around myself.

So to summarise:

Servers actually make pretty good money here. It's a great part time job, it just sucks when cheapskates dash out without tipping.

BTW, IT people make too much money as-is. They primarily help people with outlook problems and update AV software. If anything, you should be making less. You spoke about servers being lazy in school. Did you get a degree only too end up in IT? I'm sorry, that was a poor decision on your part.

I eat at restaurants that pay their staff sufficiently.
    Do you interrogate the hosts about the payment of the servers before you let them seat you, or do you just waltz into Olive Garden oblivious to the fact that someone is about to spend the next hour waiting on you out of the kindness of their heart?

Quote Originally Posted by Gheld View Post
    Judging by your attitude towards people who work entry-level jobs I'm going to guess you're either a 5 year old with unrealistic ambitions, or mommy and daddy paid your way through college.

You're going to deny it now, but the beautiful thing about the truth is that you can lie to us, you can lie to yourself, but it doesn't go away.
    You do realise that outside the US it's normal for your parents to pay for education right? Or are you living in the delusion that the world is your precious US of A

Quote Originally Posted by Biged781 View Post
    Servers actually make pretty good money here. It's a great part time job, it just sucks when cheapskates dash out without tipping.

BTW, IT people make too much money as-is. They primarily help people with outlook problems and update AV software. If anything, you should be making less.

I fully agree about those IT people In holland the trend lately is that the helpdeskers (to put it bluntly, I've been one for years) tend to get near minimum wage nowadays. 2nd Line support gets more, and so on and so on.
    When I see managers in IT, that seriously do not know how to wire up a screen to a laptop.. I really wonder why they are paid so much.
    Last edited by lanerios; 2013-09-02 at 06:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tstr88 View Post
    If you're in the US and go out to eat then you tip, period. If you don't believe in tipping (which really means you are a fat fuck who is just cheap) then stick to McDonalds for filling your face.
    Sorry, not required so ain't happening bub. Ill just laugh at people so brainwashed like you who will tip even a horrible waiter. Ill enjoy my crab legs quietly with my gf.

servers to bitch about the "system" to get better wages won't change anything. Conform to the way it works or you can insist on being cheap and never tipping and just eat a shit-filled sandwich or have to plot out where you're going to eat like you're robbing a bank in order to avoid bad food. Cause we never forget the people who leave no tip (Because you're actually the tiny minority).
    Ill continue to eat where ever I choose. Ill tip when I deem it necessary, not them.If all the servers quit, the system would change. When enough bitch, it will.

You do realise that outside the US it's normal for your parents to pay for education right? Or are you living in the delusion that the world is your precious US of A
    Well, here it's normal for people to tip for good service. What's the difference? It's cultural, it's the way it is (here). If you don't like it then don't participate; stay home. Don't screw over the poor waiter just because you feel justified in doing so.

You get so high and mighty about tipping a waiter yet feel "entitled" (as you said) to have your education paid for by mommy and daddy.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkrulerxxx View Post
    A friend on my facebook just posted this (she is a waitress at our local Red Robin) and i feel somewhat conflicted about this statement.

Back in the past (5 years back) i didn't have any real source of income except for the very limited hours of work that i had and with the minor bills i had, i had little money to spare. Still i'd like to go out to dinner when i could and sometimes i only had enough to pay the bill and not include a very good tip.

I feel like i can disagree with this statement because i feel like tipping shouldn't be mandatory, even for good service. I know a lot of food restaurants cut the waiters/waitresses pay in half and they have to make it up by tips but i feel like this should be a mandatory change in how they pay their employees.

What do you guys feel about this statement?

This is not the same thread as i have a different approach to tipping, i am not asking if tipping is required, i am asking in relation to that statement that if you only have enough money for dinner but not enough for tip, should you not go?
    I agree that this BS over servers wages being made up from tips should be removed in the US to make life fairer for the servers but it is so ingrained now that I don't see it happening easily. For that reason I would have to consider the tip another part of the bill, and then consider a real tip on top of that.

So to summarise:

Um, no. They took a job where the rules are different. Shouldnt you be happy that you are paying servers directly instead of it all going to the company and hope they treat their staff decently?

There is no situation for an IT to ever receive tips, since they are not servers, or even cashiers. So they dont get paid on the assumption of tips because they dont get any. As a server most of your income is based on HOW WELL YOU DO YOUR JOB, and if you do it well, or even get lucky you get paid well. Your income comes from your customers.....which is exactly how jobs work. Customers pay employees for services. By saying you dont want to tip you are saying you are wanting to get something without paying for it.