Page 2 of 200 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by wynnyelle View Post
    I can't speak for everybody, but if I didn't have enough money to tip and just had enough to pay for my meal, I wouldn't go. I'd go get fast food or something or just eat at home instead. If a waitress/waiter takes good care of me, I like to leave them a tip. I'd feel awful if I got good service and had nothing to give back to them, especially with how poor their wages are.
    but that's not our fault.. they should complain about their wages being really low.. when you go to the doctor you give him a tip? eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetc.
    "We live in a world where a style of play that uses posession and passing to try and make spaces is made fun of.
    While a style of play where a team sits back for 90 minutes and breaks away in 1v1 situations is respected."
    - Ronald Koeman.

If you are in the united states and you go out to eat, tip your server/bartender/cocktail waitress. they are paid well below minimum wage because they are working for tips. as a matter of fact in some places you get get taxed nearly as much as you make an hour. Obviously if they were extremely rude/offensive you could leave nothing. These instances should be pretty rare though if the person is interested in making money. I also wouldn't blame businesses as much as I would blame state income/wage laws.

TLDR: Vote on the next ballot, not at the table.

edit: to those who are saying you already paid. you paid for the food costs and the profit margin for the owner. the waiter doens't make anything unless you tip.
    Last edited by ProfessorQ; 2013-09-02 at 05:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkrulerxxx View Post
    I feel like i can disagree with this statement because i feel like tipping shouldn't be mandatory, even for good service. I know a lot of food restaurants cut the waiters/waitresses pay in half and they have to make it up by tips but i feel like this should be a mandatory change in how they pay their employees.
    [/U][/B]
    Oh, I 100% agree that they should change the way servers are paid in restaurants.

Until they do, however, you either need to tip for adequate/good service (only withholding tips on BAD service) OR you need shop at a grocery store and cook your own damned food. You are fucking over the servers at these restaurants when you don't tip.

If you can't afford to tip, make your own food.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by James Tiberius Kirk View Post
    Why get pissed off when someone didn't tip you? You're paid for the job you do... If you feel that pay is inadequate, be pissed at your company.

This is the fucking problem with America... you're angry at the wrong people. It isn't the customer's problem you're underpaid and it sure as shit isn't their obligation to pay you for a service they've already paid for. Be angry at your employer for putting you in that position.
    It is the customer's problem. You're trash. You're going into a place knowing someone isn't making shit, just so you can snub your nose and say "herw derw, I'm betta than tipping, so i can keep my extra 3 bucks to stuff my face. Don't like it, ain't mah problem. Now gime some more cheese fries. Extra bacon"

Infracted: Please don't be insulting towards other posters.
    Last edited by Wikiy; 2013-09-06 at 10:26 PM.

Why get pissed off when someone didn't tip you? You're paid for the job you do... If you feel that pay is inadequate, be pissed at your company.

This is the fucking problem with America... you're angry at the wrong people. It isn't the customer's problem you're underpaid and it sure as shit isn't their obligation to pay you for a service they've already paid for. Be angry at your employer for putting you in that position.
    The whole point is that everyone who goes to a restaurant in the United States understands that a 15% tip is expected. The servers are taxed as if they were receiving this tip. When you don't tip them, you are basically stealing from them.

It's not the employer's fault, it's the government's fault. It's the custom and people are starting to ignore customs. They're being selfish fucking douchebags and it needs to stop. If that means they need to start paying a proper wage without tips included then, by all means, I hope that change is enacted. Until it is, however, people need to start tipping or stop going to restaurants.

I mean, if your job was to provide me a service with the expectation that I'd pay you a bonus at the end and then I didn't pay you that bonus because, lol, I don't wanna, is that fair?
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Deleted
    When im in Canada i tip. When im in any other country besides my own, i only tip if the service was good. I denmark, i dont, unless she was cute -

Quote Originally Posted by iadamson View Post
    The issue with tipping is the manner it's received in.

The fact that it's expected, makes me feel it's not appreciated, I always tip, and never got a thank you for doing it.

I find for the most part, (and I've worked in bars and clubs as security) that most people (mostly servers or bartenders) walk around with a false bravado, and act like their better then people. (Not all but there are many stuck up people there). They're really proud of the money they make and consider it a good job. Most of them made over $20 a night with tips. Which I guess is good, but in a job without benefits or security and like no where to move up, they should take a minute and realize their not in their twenties any more and failed at securing a real career.

(Canada)

I may start not tipping to send a message, that if you want to make more money, then get a better job, not everyone who works there way through college and uni works at a restaurant. Also I don't feel that potential high school drop outs or people without post-secondary educations should be making more than double minimum wage.
    I really, really hope you never lose your job or have anything unfortunate happen to you. You don't know who went to, or is attending college. Lots of people are employed while they are working on their degrees. Lots of people got a degree and are still looking for a job. Even more people got a degree and are working a SECOND PART TIME JOB to pay off their education. And lastly, some people unfortunately lost their job because the economy sucks and now have to work at a restaurant in the mean time. You should be glad that these people exist to provide for you.

It's customary to tip in America. Employers can get away with it because of that custom. If you don't want to tip, drag your cheap ass through the drive thru window of McDonald's and don't waste a servers time and money expecting them to pay for the privelege of refilling your drink.

10+ Year Old Account
    A topic like this doesn't require reading replies..it comes down to:
    if you live in the USA leave a fucking tip.

yeah, literally, thats it. If you can't leave a tip don't eat out. As has been posted, you not leaving a tip isn't going to change the system, you're only going to screw over your server, as in some restaurants they have to give a % of their tips to the bussers and cooks...so leave a tip. or go to Mcdonalds.

Well tipping is only like 10%, I'd say if you can't afford 10% extra then yeah you probably shouldn't be eating out anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

I wonder if people who are saying that it's okay to not tip know the amount that a waitress in the US gets paid per hour.

it's about 2 dollars

Mandatory tipping is an absurd american concept brought on by the fact that we don't want to pay waiters/waitresses a living wage. In other countries you aren't expected to tip, it's a show of appreciation, which makes sense. Why should I give you extra money unless you've performed your job exceptionally well?

i specifically remember a thread just like this 6 months or so ago.

seriously, does anyone on this forum use the search function? i mean, it's really good, and will find every question you may have.

as people have already stated though, if you live in america, you should know that you tip. you're just a prick otherwise.

nope

i dont agree with it

it's not someone else's fault that your employer doesn't pay you enough. if you don't like your job, then get a new one. if you can't, then you don't want a new job badly enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Seezer View Post
    It is the customer's problem
    yeah its my fault that you cant choose to not work a shitty job that you dont like

you are right, it is definitely my fault your company does not pay you enough

maybe if you spent more time doing your job instead of bitching about it, you'd be getting tips from people instead of flaming them on the internet. it's because of people like you, that whenever i eat out, i never leave a tip. you and your ilk are directly responsible for a waiter not receiving a tip every time i go out to eat. i hope that you can live with that.

cuz i mean if it's my fault their job is bad then this must also be your fault

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Belloc View Post
    The whole point is that everyone who goes to a restaurant in the United States understands that a 15% tip is expected. The servers are taxed as if they were receiving this tip. When you don't tip them, you are basically stealing from them.
    If it is taxed and expected then it is "mandatory" and the owner of the restaurant is sneaky/greedy because he/she show 15% lower price than the actual price.

I am happy that I live in a country that have "tip include in the price" and have the tax in the price.

It's usually just my husband and I when we eat out, and we're pretty easy to please. I customarily tip 5 dollars no matter the bill. And if the waitress/waiter does manage to irk me somehow... then I start decreasing the amount :P Still, they could do pretty bad and end up with 4 bucks with relative ease. It also depends on how major the establishment is... like if it's a chain. I know for sure that they'll pool their tips at the end of the day, and everyone gets a cut. If that's the case, I just tip 5 bucks no matter the service. I don't want to punish someone else's good service because I had crappy service.

Also, if we eat at a more expensive place. And the bill does go over $50. I will tip more. Usually 8.

I know it sounds off. But I waited tables for 2 years. We can usually tell who's been a waitress or who is one :P Like I tend to bus the tables I sit at myself, just to make it easier. Especially if they seem busy. I was always super grateful when customers stacked their plates for me... it saved me a lot of time. If they did that, I didn't even care if they tipped me or not. Then again, I'm REALLY easy-going, and cheerful all the time. Takes a lot to irk me :P
    Last edited by Felicia; 2013-09-02 at 06:21 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Masochist View Post
    nope

i dont agree with it

it's not someone else's fault that your employer doesn't pay you enough. if you don't like your job, then get a new one. if you can't, then you don't want a new job badly enough.

yeah its my fault that you cant choose to not work a shitty job that you dont like

you are right, it is definitely my fault your company does not pay you enough

maybe if you spent more time doing your job instead of bitching about it, you'd be getting tips from people instead of flaming them on the internet. it's because of people like you, that whenever i eat out, i never leave a tip. you and your ilk are directly responsible for a waiter not receiving a tip every time i go out to eat. i hope that you can live with that.

cuz i mean if it's my fault their job is bad then this must also be your fault
    Yes, with that logic you would completely wipe out the restaurant industry in the USA. that is unless we switched to an actual salary/wage based system, in which everyone would most likely be paying upwards of 2x the price of their food.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkrulerxxx View Post
    I know a lot of food restaurants cut the waiters/waitresses pay in half and they have to make it up by tips but i feel like this should be a mandatory change in how they pay their employees.
    A lot? No, the overwhelming majority. In half? No, the minimum wage for tipped employees is actually around 1/3 of regular minimum wage. That's two dollars and some change.

Until something is done about wait staff's pay, tipping is mandatory (save for actually BAD service), and should be considered when debating if you can afford to go out or not.

If you're too broke to tip, and too lazy to prepare your own meals, stick with fast food.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisberb View Post
    Yes, with that logic you would completely wipe out the restaurant industry in the USA. that is unless we switched to an actual salary/wage based system, in which everyone would most likely be paying upwards of 2x the price of their food.
    Nice propaganda they've fed to you. Did they ask tip for that aswell?
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Veyne View Post
    A lot? No, the overwhelming majority. In half? No, the minimum wage for tipped employees is actually around 1/3 of regular minimum wage. That's two dollars and some change.

Until something is done about wait staff's pay, tipping is mandatory (save for actually BAD service), and should be considered when debating if you can afford to go out or not.

If you're too broke to tip, and too lazy to prepare your own meals, stick with fast food.
    yes, that's about it ^