Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by NYC17 View Post
    Turns out bosses that run successful businesses don't just take a customer's word as gospel. I realize that in hypothetical internet forum scenarios everything black and white, but in reality, that's not how things work.
    Depends on where you live.
    Customer's complaints are usually taken very seriously here, and while they might not instantly cause troubles to the servers, you usually get compensated if you say something wasn't right with the food/service was bad.
    Servers are just too replaceable. It's not worth risking a bad reputation because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinykong View Post
    That may work for some places, but given sites like Yelp, widespread bad attitudes from management can obliterate a business.
    If we're talking about general complaints then yea, that's true of all businesses. I was replying to Cattaclysmic's examples of "grief for not tipping" and "fucking with food". If you're going to approach a manager with that you better have proof beyond "I'm a customer and I say so".

If we're talking about general complaints then yea, that's true of all businesses. I was replying to Cattaclysmic's examples of "grief for not tipping" and "fucking with food". If you're going to approach a manager with that you better have proof beyond "I'm a customer and I say so".
    I still think most places (in my experience) would do anything to make people happy, even if it was a complaint like this. Bad news spreads like wild fire on the internet, all it takes is one bad review on Yelp to cost a business money.

I still think most places (in my experience) would do anything to make people happy, even if it was a complaint like this. Bad news spreads like wild fire on the internet, all it takes is one bad review on Yelp to cost a business money.
    It's probably more true of corporate places than independent ones. Corporate restaurants have pretty pathetic rules that don't generally favor employees.

On the other side, the owner of one of the independent restaurants I worked for threw people out of his restaurant once or twice for being rude to the servers and other employees. We had an open kitchen which allowed people to talk to the chef(he was the owner), so if customers bothered him with something,t hey had better be able to prove it.

which allowed people to talk to the chef(he was the owner), so if customers bothered him with something,t hey had better be able to prove it.
    In most cases where the owner is also the cook they don't take criticism to well.
    As far as proving it, if I don't like the way your food tastes that's my opinion and as a customer I am entitled to it there is nothing to prove.

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    In most cases where the owner is also the cook they don't take criticism to well.
    As far as proving it, if I don't like the way your food tastes that's my opinion and as a customer I am entitled to it there is nothing to prove.
    Sigh. I wish you'd read the discussions that were taking place before interjecting yourself. We're not talking about whether food "tastes good". We're talking about claiming food was fucked with, or that the server treated someone badly due to poor tipping.

Sigh. I wish you'd read the discussions that were taking place before interjecting yourself. We're not talking about whether food "tastes good". We're talking about claiming food was fucked with, or that the server treated someone badly due to poor tipping.
    So if I thought the person serving me was rude I have to prove it?

So if I thought the person serving me was rude I have to prove it?
    Again, "treated badly due to poor tipping". Those are the situations being discussed. I'd personally love to see an exchange in which a customer approached a manager/owner to claim they were being treated poorly because they don't tip.

Again, "treated badly due to poor tipping". Those are the situations being discussed. I'd personally love to see an exchange in which a customer approached a manager/owner to claim they were being treated poorly because they don't tip.
    How would you know if you were being treated "badly" from not tipping when you tip after the service is done?
    Unless you're referring to a repeat customer who always comes in and never tips, in that case I believe that person will not get the same service from most people.

This just further solidifies that notion that if you don't tip, you'll be treated poorly. So it's "give me a tip or else," which is what people have a problem with.

This just further solidifies that notion that if you don't tip, you'll be treated poorly. So it's "give me a tip or else," which is what people have a problem with.
    Well personally I don't go out to eat that much anymore.
    If I do I know the person serving me is pretty much working for my tip not their salary so much.
    I take that into consideration and as long as I feel they did their job (which is pretty much be around if I need something and to fill my drink before its empty) I will tip them and I expect to be doing this. However if I got bad service I wouldn't return. Oh and no tip.

I'm just curious, at what restaurants do you give a tip in advance? I mean, I don't understand how a server can treat a person poorly on the basis of that person not tipping...when you typically tip at the end of a meal? Maybe if the person before them didn't. But then that's just a server taking out their issues on others.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    I'm just curious, at what restaurants do you give a tip in advance? I mean, I don't understand how a server can treat a person poorly on the basis of that person not tipping...when you typically tip at the end of a meal? Maybe if the person before them didn't. But then that's just a server taking out their issues on others.
    We're talking about servers deliberately providing poor service to people who have stiffed them in the past on tips. Part of the "tips - to insure proper service" thing.

Well, a tiny minority of people seem to have a problem with it, as the overwhelming majority tip according to the norm.

- - - Updated - - -

How would you know if you were being treated "badly" from not tipping when you tip after the service is done?
    Unless you're referring to a repeat customer who always comes in and never tips, in that case I believe that person will not get the same service from most people.
    Repeat customer is the assumption we have been working under.

We're talking about servers deliberately providing poor service to people who have stiffed them in the past on tips. Part of the "tips - to insure proper service" thing.
    If that's the case, why would you continue to go to that establishment?

So basically... you want servers to not do their actual jobs, if a customer doesn't throw singles at them like a half-naked stripper? Yeah... I see great things happening from that...

The problem with tipping is that in the US, people expect you to tip the server. No matter how they act, be it the minimal they are actually required or if they are actually calm and nice throughout your experience, without making your stay in their business a hassel or bother. That's a flaw right there. A tip is just that, a tip. It shouldn't be mandatory in any respect and something that the customer decides.

The next flaw is that, because the idiots think that it should be mandatory, they lower the actual pay of the servers thinking they'll make the difference. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. But hey, if they server is doing their job, going above and beyond, they should make more. Sure, that doesn't necissarily mean they will, anyone can get the cheapskates who wouldn't tip if they had Jesus himself filling their empty plates with fish or changing their water to fine wine.
    I AM the world's first Shadow Mage.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilian View Post
    Looking at these threads I can only say it's good to live in a country where the employer pays high enough wages for waiters to live rather than guilt tripping customers who already paid.
    It should be that way everywhere. We pay for the food, no one should HAVE to pay a tip, regardless of income. If the waiter or waitress is good enough then I'm sure even those with the lowest of wages will find a way to give at least a small contribution. The way the system works now with a mandatory tip is that the waiters and waitresses don't have to try at anything other than taking your order. If they were paid normal wages and had to try to be friendly in order to receive a tip, we would all have a better dining experience as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    If that's the case, why would you continue to go to that establishment?
    Who knows, I certainly wouldn't. But, if the industry practice is to deliberately provide poor service to people who don't tip (or worse, tampering with food) then the tip is just extortion. All the more reason to just bake it into the cost of the food, and stop the practice.

The Unstoppable Force THE Bigzoman's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I tip soely on the basis of the service I receive. If I feel you did well, you get tipped graciously. If not, you get no tip at all. I feel as though tips have become an entitlement and the only way I would agree with mandatory tipping is gratuity at large scale events.

Who knows, I certainly wouldn't. But, if the industry practice is to deliberately provide poor service to people who don't tip (or worse, tampering with food) then the tip is just extortion. All the more reason to just bake it into the cost of the food, and stop the practice.
    So this is mostly hypothetical?