Getting social with yourself - A new approach to player housing

So I was bored once again and came up with my own idea for player housing in WoW.

Anyway, I would love to hear your comments on it and would appreciate it if you share it with your friends and co-players so I can get more feedback on it. Tumblr link is at the bottom, here comes the big quote:

So my idea here is to use what we have to get what we always wanted. Our own little place in the World of Warcraft. What we have in this case is the phasing technology introduced in Wrath of the Lich King and improved all the time.

So let's say that there is this little house in Stormwind/hut in Orgrimmar that is phased and that phase is locked to you. So when you enter it, it looks different as when your paladin friend Peter enters it. First step done.

Now let's make it unique and useful, let's say that your phase of that house includes NPCs that resemble all your toons. Pretty cool, huh? You go there to visit all your characters and do stuff that I will tell you later.

Second step almost done, it's unique now.
    Just having your characters there sounds pretty boring though. So why not make them NPCs that have the professions they have learned as a usable thing. Example, your Warrior Slamdunkx is a Blacksmith and you need something crafted. So you go to your house/hut, click on him and the profession window opens and you can craft stuff from there. No more relogging to ten million chars for ten million times because you forget who has which profession etc and no more mailing.

To make this a more vivid place, you could have pictures on the wall, resemling your latest achievements or rare mount drops or pets you caught etc.
    When clicked, your characters could tell you something about themself, like where they've been the last few days, how many Valor Points they have, what their Item Level is, etc. Basicly some things most people use addons for, like Altoholic etc.

Small idea I had for that part was adding something to tooltips of recipes that tells you which character can craft it, or if it is unknown, can learn it.

"But only I can see that"

Yes, true. Let's steal some more from SW:ToR now: If you invite someone, he gets access to your house. If he wishes to enter his own house while being in your group, he change that at the door bell. (random mechanic idea here, could be UI or world element)
    He can use your Character NPCs there or just hang out.

The house would also include a "Family Crest" that is an extra storage for Bind on Account Items only so the hassle of sending it between characters and never really knowing where they are gets diminished a bit. Might also add a wardrobe for all those annoying but cool tabards and shirts that spam your inventory at the moment. Having them account bound is the better way, anyway.

So I think this idea has a huge potential to be great and solve many of WoWs isses it currently has. Might also have logic errors here and there, but hey, I thought I'd post it now and get your feedback on it.
    Tumblr: http://omgstanposts.tumblr.com/post/...oach-to-player

Note: I'm probably editing that text all the time for spelling changes or new stuff I come up with.
    Last edited by Stanzilla; 2013-09-02 at 02:00 PM.

I love this idea, i've recently leveled engineering to 600 on an alt.. had to relog back and forth at least... i don't even know, a LOT of times, so annoying
    You should post this in the official forums.
    Another idea: You can switch characters right there (instead of logging out and then back in)

10+ Year Old Account
    pretty cool ideas. what about the people that have 22 level 90's? wouldn't the small house/hut be awful crowded?
    Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    pretty cool ideas. what about the people that have 22 level 90's? wouldn't the small house/hut be awful crowded?
    Would have to be per Realm only, I guess :/

15+ Year Old Account
    It wont happen. Blizzard is too focused on all the other demands we have, more content, better character models, etc. We keep them way too busy (we being the community). If it does happen, it wont be any time soon.

I likie your ideas though

Quote Originally Posted by moremana View Post
    It wont happen. Blizzard is too focused on all the other demands we have, more content, better character models, etc. We keep them way too busy (we being the community). If it does happen, it wont be any time soon.

I likie your ideas though
    They announced that they will increase team size by 40% again, so one can only hope!

10+ Year Old Account
    Me likey this idea

Deleted
    The thread title gave me the wrong idea.

The actual idea is pretty cool although my personal preference for player housing would be a personal story type thing like GW2.

They announced that they will increase team size by 40% again, so one can only hope!
    For faster Content. They want to create one X-Pac per anual. Therefore the content itself has to get out at a much faster rate.

They stated that they want to create a better endcontent i.e. last patch wich isnt quite possible right now because of the teamsize and the fact that the leveldesigner have to work on the next X-Pac.
    The release of an expansion partially depends on how long it takes to build and add quests to the new zones. This is why the final patch of an expansion usually doesn't have a lot of content that involves the exterior level design team, as they are already working on the zones for the next expansion.
    But all in one i like the ideas too. And they shold also add Account wide Gold, like there is in D3.

I like the idea of having my other characters in the home. Very cool idea.

If WoW doesn't do it other games should. Or have they?

Deleted
    Fantastic idea. I use to play a game called Runescape & I spent hours upon hours throwing parties and spending millions of GP on building stuff, such as dungeons & gilded furniture.

Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    The thread title gave me the wrong idea.

The actual idea is pretty cool although my personal preference for player housing would be a personal story type thing like GW2.
    I thought about a story intro quest that explains how all your characters get there, plus a introduction quest on every char or so.
    Last edited by Stanzilla; 2013-09-02 at 11:41 PM.