Page 1 of 3
LastLast

General Nazgrim: The Erwin Rommel of World Of World

I wrote a paper for a history class about Nazi military tactics during World War 2. This was a topic I was assigned, and the class was about modern military history.

First and foremost, let us not forget that Erwin Rommel was a Nazi. However, this did not mean that he was a psychopath like Hitler.

In fact, Rommel was known to be a great leader, humane in his treatment of enemies, and discriminate when it came to following orders. I won't get into his history here, but we can equate his personality to that of General Nazgrim.

Yes, Nazgrim was a general of Garrosh's Horde. Nazgrim rose through the ranks over the expansions and made a name for himself.

However, Nazgrim was not bloodthirsty like Garrosh. When Nazgrim spoke about leveling Stormwind, he spoke as a commander of Garrosh's Horde. The Alliance were sworn enemies, and he wanted the opportunity to defeat them with honor in battle. He also didn't follow all of Garrosh's orders. He united his soldiers as soldiers of the Horde. Not as Orcs, Trolls, etc. Under Nazgrim, soldiers were the might Horde.

I can't believe that Blizzard would have him die in the end.

Hitler forced Rommel to commit suicide by cyanide so that Rommel's family could live.

However, Blizzard could have made a better story out of Nazgrim.

I'm so butthurt that he is killed after all we went through. WTF blizzard.

Quote Originally Posted by Necrophagist View Post
    I wrote a paper for a history class about Nazi military tactics during World War 2. This was a topic I was assigned, and the class was about modern military history.

First and foremost, let us not forget that Erwin Rommel was a Nazi. .
    First of all, you ruined all credibility with that first statement-- Rommel wasn't a Nazi. Just because you served Nazi Germany doesn't mean you're affiliated with the Nazi Party; there were a lot of officials that weren't.

First and foremost, let us not forget that Erwin Rommel was a Nazi. However, this did not mean that he was a psychopath like Hitler.

In fact, Rommel was known to be a great leader, humane in his treatment of enemies, and discriminate when it came to following orders. I won't get into his history here, but we can equate his personality to that of General Nazgrim.

Yes, Nazgrim was a general of Garrosh's Horde. Nazgrim rose through the ranks over the expansions and made a name for himself.

However, Nazgrim was not bloodthirsty like Garrosh. When Nazgrim spoke about leveling Stormwind, he spoke as a commander of Garrosh's Horde. The Alliance were sworn enemies, and he wanted the opportunity to defeat them with honor in battle. He also didn't follow all of Garrosh's orders. He united his soldiers as soldiers of the Horde. Not as Orcs, Trolls, etc. Under Nazgrim, soldiers were the might Horde.

Hitler forced Rommel to commit suicide by cyanide so that Rommel's family could live.

However, Blizzard could have made a better story out of Nazgrim.

What part of "Victory or Death" did you not understand? This isn't the first time that a Minion of Hellscream was given an order that cost him his life should he fail, one way or another.

Also when you compare a Nazi General to an Honorable Orc you already crossed the line of Bullshit you can't talk your way out of. Read The Longest Day. Rommel was a competant General with an incompetent leader that dropped the ball for a Birthday party on DDay. Oh yeah, they were also friggin NAZIs. Way to compare the Orcs to the 3rd Reich genius.

Hope you get an F.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lastlivingsoul View Post
    What part of "Victory or Death" did you not understand? This isn't the first time that a Minion of Hellscream was given an order that cost him his life should he fail, one way or another.

Also when you compare a Nazi General to an Honorable Orc you already crossed the line of Bullshit you can't talk your way out of. Read The Longest Day. Rommel was a competant General with an incompetent leader that dropped the ball for a Birthday party on DDay. Oh yeah, they were also friggin NAZIs. Way to compare the Orcs to the 3rd Reich genius.

Hope you get an F.
    What the hell?

I'm so looking forward to kill him...

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm so butthurt that he is killed after all we went through.
    That's the point
    "Terror, darkness, power? The Forsaken crave not these things; the Forsaken ARE these things."

Hope you get an F.
    Are you retarded?

That was the whole point.

Rommel, even though he didn't believe in Nazi ideology, was STILL THE COMMANDER OF NAZI FORCES.

Just like Nazgrim was the commander of Garrosh's Horde.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    its a civil war, your not fighting some enemy nation or foeirgn power, you are fighting your own people

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by arcaneshot View Post
    Just because you served Nazi Germany doesn't mean you're affiliated with the Nazi Party; there were a lot of officials that weren't.
    Likewise, just because people served in the German army does not mean they were ardent Nazis
    Same story, just because most Orcs are defending Ogrimmar, dsnt mean they believe the same things
    They could very well be doing so because its their city, their homeland, their people.
    Just like German soliders, they sure as hell not go go home instead of lending their skills to defend their nation so it dsnt burn and suffer in defeat
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

15+ Year Old Account

Hope you get an F.
    This was unnecessarily gruff.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Rommel, even though he didn't believe in Nazi ideology, was STILL THE COMMANDER OF NAZI FORCES.

Just like Nazgrim was the commander of Garrosh's Horde.
    Dilemma of duty/loyalty and ideology
    Do you disagree with ideology enough to be fine with watching your country burn and suffer in defeat in a World War?
    Plus its not like Rommel/Nazgrim disagreed with everything, they were chill with the idea of increasing their nations power and glory
    We have faced trials and danger, threats to our world and our way of life. And yet, we persevere. We are the Horde. We will not let anything break our spirits!"

Deleted
    "The Erwin Rommel of World of World"

wut

Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    The way the story is written the underlined isn't true. Orcs standing with Garrosh support him, Nazgrim is one of them. Orcs who opposed Garrosh stood with the rebellion.
    The thing is though, Nazgrim disagreed with Garrosh towards the end.

This is the point of Nazgrim dying.

He's the only character in SoO that was even mildly interesting. Garrosh was good for the faction rivalry; but very badly written.

All the other bosses...nobodies who'll die and drop some nice loot. Same old, same old.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Alenarien View Post
    All the other bosses...nobodies who'll die and drop some nice loot. Same old, same old.
    the Paragons? Malrorok?

Nazgrim was a competent commander at best, Rommel was a brilliant commander.

Honestly I don't know where fans are getting all this Nazgrim love, in game he's little more than a generic Orc NPC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by Alenarien View Post
    He's the only character in SoO that was even mildly interesting. Garrosh was good for the faction rivalry; but very badly written.

What about the Paragons ? I am the fucking Wakener

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    Nazgrim was a competent commander at best, Rommel was a brilliant commander.

Honestly I don't know where fans are getting all this Nazgrim love, in game he's little more than a generic Orc NPC.
    We fought tru a lot alongside him.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    The way the story is written the underlined isn't true. Orcs standing with Garrosh support him, Nazgrim is one of them. Orcs who opposed Garrosh stood with the rebellion.
    Nazgrim had some feelings toward the players and toward Saurfang and Thrall, as shown in his intro speeches and that vision-thingy
    Not everyone is head set on fighting their own people. Even Thrall had misgivings.
    Afterall Garrosh is their Warchief and racial leader. Our they gonna be content watching their city, people, country burn and suffer in defeat? Its not only rebels bearing down on them but the their long time enemies the Alliance

Quote Originally Posted by Dreknar20 View Post
    the Paragons? Malrorok?
    The Mantid didn't really have a lot to relate to in the first place. We know them from the Dread Wastes, sure, but they were pretty one-dimensional overall. Malkorok wasn't really seen so much in-game either.