Poll: Would you play a warcraft type ARPG?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    PoE has pretty terrible and clunky control as well. It doesn't feel fluid at all. Complexity doesn't always translate into depth too. Things should be simple and straightforward but very deep like chess,StarCraft for example. Not really saying PoE is not a good game though. Everyone has their own opinion. For me D3,PoE,TL2 all of them are not good enough to worth my time. I will give D3 one last chance for RoS because I liked D2 but if Blizz messes up again then goodbye ARPG.
    I don't know how you find TL2 not good enough, but compare d3 to d2. TL2 is practically d2 with a reskin with loads more content including player generated content and the content is fairly new so we have no idea what people are capable of it just yet.

If I remember right TL2 was actually developed by some of the same dev's from blizzard north themselves. Which would explain the huge similarities.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    PoE has pretty terrible and clunky control as well. It doesn't feel fluid at all. Complexity doesn't always translate into depth too.
    I have noticed no difference in fluidity in Path of Exile from other ARPGs. Most ARPGs feel slow to me compared to POE at high levels.

There are several aspects of POE's mechanics that may lead one to feel combat is far more sluggish than other ARPGs, however. Such as the mini stuns, drawn out animations, hit confirmations, accuracy checks and the movement penalties applied by wearing armor. To name a few. All of which are not obvious without investigating the underlying play systems.

The mini stuns and and recovery postures are a huge hurdle for a lot of new players to POE. It's a common complaint. Given enough knowledge of how the play systems function Path of Exile is as fast & fluid as any ARPG I have played. And I have played almost all of them.

Looking at character reaction and movement of a suitably well made build: http://www.twitch.tv/varthdavertwitch/b/453666954

It is very comparable to high level play in TL2 or D3. Path of Exile is simply designed to punish players if they don't know how to achieve the above. Whereas D3 and TL2 are purposefully designed to NOT punish ignorance.

If you know of any game in the last 10 years with a degree of depth in play systems equal to Path of Exile I should like to know of it. For I have found no ARPG with a deeper set of play mechanics from items to skill allocation to skill variables to even the process of logging out.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2013-09-03 at 02:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Angarin View Post
    I don't know how you find TL2 not good enough, but compare d3 to d2. TL2 is practically d2 with a reskin with loads more content including player generated content and the content is fairly new so we have no idea what people are capable of it just yet.

If I remember right TL2 was actually developed by some of the same dev's from blizzard north themselves. Which would explain the huge similarities.
    Because D2 doesn't cut it today. It need to be vastly improved version in all aspects like itemization,animation,UI and more. Skill rune system in D3 is one of the new system I think is a good concept. It's interesting in both visual and mechanic but because of balance issue most of the runes are simply useless and the system doesn't reach its full potential. Actually, the D3 that Blizzard wanted it to be would be the game I like but D3 team was the most incompetent team in the history of Blizzard so they couldn't execute it.
    Last edited by Wildmoon; 2013-09-03 at 05:35 PM.

TL2 really isn't D2 with a reskin. There are several play mechanics that are quite different among the two games. Their respective operation/rules are only similar in the way that all ARPGs are- that is to say, both are ARPGs.

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post
    While it's not as responsive as a game like D3 or TL2, it's far from "clunky". Curious as to what makes you feel the controls are "clunky" (scare quotes are because that's one of the most vague, nebulous terms that's thrown around all the time in various situations without any definition given to it beyond, "I don't like X so I'll call it clunky")
    I wouldn't call it clunky either IMO. PoE doesn't have a delay anymore with how its been updated, swing and cast animations work perfectly fine.

Compared to D3, its not as fast-paced, nor as colorful. The textures are a bit more "cartoony" in D3 thanks to its polygons and its art-direction. IMO D3 wins the best engine award compared to all other ARPGs. If blizz could get their devs to think more like GGG, or just flat out fire them...it would have been one hell of a product.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am bored of hack and slash games. The stories are always weak, they lack any decision making in the game and character creation usually doesn't exist. Diablo style games lose my interest very fast. Not enough puzzles or interaction with the world. Having character talents isn't enough for a game to be RP to me.

Well, at their core an ARPG is a spreadsheet grinder. There are actually ARPGs that are just a spreadsheet and ladder rankings. Nothing other than the numbers and their manipulation is of importance to the genre.

The R in ARPG is intended as roll. Not role.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Well, at their core an ARPG is a spreadsheet grinder. There are actually ARPGs that are just a spreadsheet and ladder rankings. Nothing other than the numbers and their manipulation is of importance to the genre.

The R in ARPG is intended as roll. Not role.
    I'm still giggling after this for more than 5 minutes...lol