Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Herald of the Titans Feral Camel's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Johnny Cash did some fantastic covers and I think Nick Cave said it best after one of his songs was covered by Cash

Like all the songs he does, he made it his own. He's a great interpreter of songs – that's part of his genius. These are the things that can't be taken away from you.

I saw a band a few years back at a festival called Nouvelle Vague. They did a fair few fun covers and really made them their own.

Deleted
    The most unexpected one for me was this :

As to the best, well we all know that's Sabotage by the Beastie boys covered by Cancer bats.

Cash's cover of Mercy Seat never fails to blow me away. I love that song so much, is one my absolute favourite Nick Cave songs, but Cash's version is amazing. I won't go so far as to say he took it for his own and makes the original pale in comparison the way I do with Hurt (seriously, to me Cash's version is the definitive and NIN's is anemic in comparison), but Cash brings more reality to Mercy Seat while Cave's is more a fictional narrative.

Nouvelle Vague are fun. I love their cover of the Dead Kennedy's Too Drunk to Fuck.

10+ Year Old Account

i think these are two of my fav covers other than hurt

10+ Year Old Account

Vocal version:

And another favorite:

10+ Year Old Account
    I prefer the original version.

Quote Originally Posted by Led ++ View Post
    Still, the NIN version is better.
    one of the few instances where i really like both versions. @everybody that ever covered "landslide", fuck you, it sucked, every damned one. another where i liked original and cover was "turn the page" [bob seger (original) and metallica (cover), for those not aware]. another cover i like (im sure some will disagree) is "man of constant sorrow" covered by charm city devils. most successful cover ever - jimi covering "all along the watchtower", so damned good that it being a dylan cover is a piece of trivia, and prompted dylan to say that every song he ever wrote was meant to be sung by hendrix, and he had no idea when he was writing them
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

Here are a few of my favs:

Lyriel - Star of the County Down

Sonata Arctica - Fade to Black(Metallica cover)

Blind Guardian - Mr. Sandman

Knorkator - Ma Baker(Boney M Cover)

TURISAS - Rasputin(Boney M Cover)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DGYnL5JLx68

Refused covering the Prodigy. If you have never listened to the Refused's album "The Shape of Punk to Come", go do it now.

Deleted

Jay Smith from Swedish Idol performing Like a prayer. I remember when I saw him perform it live, was stunned.