Enchanting - An Unanticipated Market

For years, I've been making gold off Jewelcrafting, but I just xferred to a new server that is low-medium pop and the gems aren't selling that well. Surprisingly, though, I put up a few enchanting scrolls and they're selling really, really well. I always just used enchanting to DE stuff and make my own enchants, never really was able to make much money off it, so I'm going to give it a shot.

Besides not knowing much about which scrolls sell the best (the usual suspects it seems - anything a raider would use), my bigger question is where do you actually get all the mats to make enough scrolls? Most of my mats came from greens while leveling, but now that I'm done leveling, I'm fresh out. How do you resupply yourself. You don't just buy the raw mats off the AH, do you?
    Last edited by Mortal Strike; 2013-09-03 at 04:13 AM.

The farm seems like a good bet, planting the enchanting plant. Random heroics for valor + greens. Dailies are a good source, too.
    I am the one who knocks ... because I need your permission to enter.

Hmmm... farm... totally forgot there was an enchanting plant, been busy with Enigma seeds. Thanks for the tip.

LFR is another decent source of enchanting mats if you have the spare time to run it but otherwise I'd say getting greens from IoT and the farm to have a steady stream of mats.

Deleted
    Prospect ore for green gems, turn green gems into jewelry, DE jewelry.

This jewelry, specifically:
    http://www.wowhead.com/spell=122661
    http://www.wowhead.com/spell=122662

Deleted
    If you have tailoring you can make the 'new' PvP items (those at item level 477) - cheapest is 4x Embersilk bolts which results in getting 1x Ethereal Shard... Depending on the server you can get the Embersilk cloth extremely cheap
    As long as 1 stack of Embersilk cloth is less than 1 Ethereal Shard, it's worth doing :-)

The above can also be used with the BS/LW item level 477 PvP items

Generally greens worth much more if you just sell them to vendor. Enchanting mats are really cheap, thanks to guys that disenchant 20g-vendor priced green for 3 dusts.

Quote Originally Posted by mynee View Post
    Generally greens worth much more if you just sell them to vendor. Enchanting mats are really cheap, thanks to guys that disenchant 20g-vendor priced green for 3 dusts.
    Not on my realm, hence this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnolp View Post
    Prospect ore for green gems, turn green gems into jewelry, DE jewelry.

This jewelry, specifically:
    http://www.wowhead.com/spell=122661
    http://www.wowhead.com/spell=122662
    I can turn the orange, purple and green rare gems into primal diamonds, but the Primordial Ruby, River's Heart and Sun's Radiance are unprofitable to cut and sell on my server. Maybe I should just stick the blanks on the AH and let the resident JC tycoon buy them out?
    Last edited by Mortal Strike; 2013-09-03 at 01:33 PM.

If your a class that can aoe head out to the barrrens and just farm the heck out of the mobs out there. Granted it will only be up for one more week but when 5.4 hits just use timeless isle as barrens and your pretty much in the same boat (just don't try to aoe farm the elites)

Quote Originally Posted by felcommander View Post
    If your a class that can aoe head out to the barrrens and just farm the heck out of the mobs out there. Granted it will only be up for one more week but when 5.4 hits just use timeless isle as barrens and your pretty much in the same boat (just don't try to aoe farm the elites)
    As far as I understand it, all the Kor'kron and other level 90 mobs in the Barrens will all still be there. It's just that there will be no more weekly quest to turn in materials. Is that not correct?

10+ Year Old Account
    All I do is just play the game, doing whatever it is that I need to do. I'll get greens doing dailies, get them doing heroics. As an enchanter, you're going to be doing dailies to get the best recipes, so you'll end up grinding a lot. MoP is great that way. I get gold the same way. I really don't have to go out of my way for much at all. Also, be on the lookout for the rare spawns too. I imagine when Timeless Isle comes out, you'll get more stuff, as you'll have a new place to kill stuff at. I have more enchanting mats then I know what to do with. I would sell scrolls on my server, but it's too dead at the moment to reliably sell anything.

This might depend on your realm, but I like Jade Forest rares. I usually start from the shrine and I fly right toward Aethis's spawn point and if he's up I continue the zone in a clockwise fashion. If he's not up I just stop and go back to whatever I was doing before. These guys drops coins, mat bags, and BOP epics to DE into crystals.

Also Zandalari Warbringers/Scouts can drop that Big Bag of Supplies and they seem randomly themed to a profession. The enchanting one is quite nice but I prefer the herb bag as it usually has almost a full stack of Golden Lotus. Any 90 blood DK can solo these quite easily.

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Vale View Post
    Not on my realm, hence this thread.

I can turn the orange, purple and green rare gems into primal diamonds, but the Primordial Ruby, River's Heart and Sun's Radiance are unprofitable to cut and sell on my server. Maybe I should just stick the blanks on the AH and let the resident JC tycoon buy them out?
    Sun's Radiance not profitable? A lot of classes are stacking pure Haste or Mastery. Sun's Radiance are my best selling item according to TSM by a long shot. even at 30-40g per (which is much higher than the vendor price), I have literally sold thousands of them.
    And I saw, and behold, a pale horse: and he that sat upon him, his name was Death; and Hades followed with him. And there was given unto them authority over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with famine, and with death, and by the wild beasts of the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by NoRest4Wicked View Post
    Sun's Radiance not profitable? A lot of classes are stacking pure Haste or Mastery. Sun's Radiance are my best selling item according to TSM by a long shot. even at 30-40g per (which is much higher than the vendor price), I have literally sold thousands of them.
    Not profitable because there's a resident JC markethoarder on the realm I transferred to who already is on 23 hours a day and undercuts you immediately. Even though I know I could fight it and ultimately win out, I don't see the point when the enchanting market is wide open for the taking. Same or more income with wayyyy less hassle.

Of course, come connected realms this is all subject to change, anyway. A wide open market now could result in 5 competitors in a month. I am hoping to cash in while I can in the short term, and maybe set myself up for some good profit long term.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ursuas View Post
    If you have tailoring you can make the 'new' PvP items (those at item level 477) - cheapest is 4x Embersilk bolts which results in getting 1x Ethereal Shard... Depending on the server you can get the Embersilk cloth extremely cheap
    As long as 1 stack of Embersilk cloth is less than 1 Ethereal Shard, it's worth doing :-)

The above can also be used with the BS/LW item level 477 PvP items
    Its 458 ilvl goods and windwool, not embersilk. /sigh.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moounter View Post
    I think your problem is a lack of intellect.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dante Vale View Post
    As far as I understand it, all the Kor'kron and other level 90 mobs in the Barrens will all still be there. It's just that there will be no more weekly quest to turn in materials. Is that not correct?
    You are correct.

10+ Year Old Account
    The JC shuffle is only good IF you have a ton of GIO to prospect, also it's time consuming. Don't forget to be in a lvl 25 guild for some extra shards/essences/dusts !
    Set your TSM settings to the average market price of the enchanting mats, and never post the scrolls when under 115% of mat price ? That way you have the 5% AH cut and at least 10% profit. You can play with numbers tho. BUT if you're on a low populated realm, try making the best out of it with the least possible effort, since when 5.4 hits it will still take some weeks before the connected realms will hit.