Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

What IS actually Vanilla WOW?

I see a lot of randoms posting I played vanilla bla bla bla bla...ok sure you did and so did many of us . But, what is "vanilla WOW"... what is it to you actually?

To me, at least, it was the first few months up until Xbox's launch.
    In my book Nov 2005 and up you aren't a Vanilla player, the game was simply too far from its initial phase with all the patches...that's how I see it.

Sorry I swapped it in the favor the Xbox 360...that Gamerscore looked a lot more promising at that e3

Wont you agree with me, you just cant be a "Vanilla player" if you picked up the game prior to few months of TBC and never experienced the douchbaggery of players/unpatched wow pvp(TM)

I think if you played in Vanilla at all, you could call yourself "A vanilla player". Saying "You need to have started before THIS date" just opens a slippery slope of elitism that everyone is going to change and demand people have played since XX-XX-XX date or X.X patch or whatever.

start on a vanilla private server and start calling youself "vanilla player"

I think it is...late 2005-2006 randoms have no place

joking. that's how I see it at least

Vanilla wow was an unchartered adventure into a gaming genre that was totally new for many. Everything was new and fresh and people were happy to simply be able to login and play.

10+ Year Old Account
    What the shit? Vanilla WoW is classic wow, Pre-TBC.
    Quote Originally Posted by xXzCoDProxXz View Post
    Wont you agree with me, you just cant be a "Vanilla player" if you picked up the game prior to few months of TBC and never experienced the douchbaggery of players/unpatched wow pvp(TM)
    No, this is just a stupid delineation to separate yourself from someone else who played classic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Great at the time

Terrible now

Vanilla wow to me is having a repair item spell. Vanilla wow to me is not only needing to make sure your hunter has ammo, but also enough food to feed your pet (and fishing for hours for a bag full of fish only to realize your damn bat only eats fruit). Vanilla wow to me is rolling on paly gear (while being horde). Vanilla wow to me is swimming up to darkshore to obtain your aquatic druid form only to realize that thottbot was alliance biased. Vanilla wow to me meant summoning the ice lord. Vanilla wow to me meant still no mount in stranglethorn vale. Vanilla wow to me meant traveling and seeing the world and battling over meeting stones with the alliance to have just enough time to summon your group (and god help them if they went afk before we were killed). Vanilla wow to me meant dying 20 times before you were level 5 because things weren't yellow back then. Vanilla wow to me meant spending so much time on one character that no one had time for alts, knowing and loving your main.

Wow is still great, and I still play my main, but I can't honestly say HE has a story anymore. Leveling is way too fast, realms are way too impersonable, and content is far too easy. But this is to be expected with any game that goes on this long. My only gripe with wow is that they destroyed leveling 1-60. Would much rather have the option to do the original content and "opt in" to the shattered post deathwing world post lvl 60.

Vanilla = classic = pre-TBC, end of story bro.

And I actually am currently leveling a toon on a Vanilla server. been playing it an hour a day for the past month and i'm barely above level 20.

The rest of your post is great, (I actually laughed at the Aquatic Form thing because my friend got SUPER pissed when the same thing happened to him), up until the "Leveling is so unpersonal and the shattering is bad".

The shattering was -amazing- and it updated the badly outdated old zones. The quests are MUCH better, much more stream-lined and what's more is that now- more than ever before in the old world- do the quests build you up as 'the main hero'. I don't know what you are talking about at ALL when you got to that part of the post, other than just typical "it was better in the old days" nostalgic spewing.

Vanilla WoW is any point in time from WoW's launch until the Pre-BC patch.

Generally speaking, I consider Vanilla WoW to be WoW right before the Pre-BC patch.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Quote Originally Posted by Silas Emile View Post
    And I actually am currently leveling a toon on a Vanilla server. been playing it an hour a day for the past month and i'm barely above level 20.
    Is it a decent server? I've actually been interested in playing on a Private Server if it's a good Vanilla/possibly TBC. To my knowledge none exist that aren't crap like HeroesWoW or whatever. South American-run hellholes full of weird content and pay-to-win stuff.

Also, if it is a decent no-added-bull-shit server, what patch/build of Vanilla is it on?

Requesting information on a private server is not allowed here
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2013-09-03 at 06:04 PM.

Deleted
    everything prior to the opening of the portal patch is vanilla. Saying anything else either makes you an ass, or a wanna be eliteist, or more likely both.
    yours
    A Vanilla player.

Lightforged Draenei
    10+ Year Old Account
    Can somebody explain to me why the game classic wow is called ''vanilla''? Always reminds me of ice cream.

well vanilla to me was a great time, never seen a game like wow. Was blown away by how big the world is.. even had to remake to play with my friends because I couldn't find them.

I will always be pc master race so I could never go to console.

Quote Originally Posted by JimPaladin View Post
    The rest of your post is great, (I actually laughed at the Aquatic Form thing because my friend got SUPER pissed when the same thing happened to him), up until the "Leveling is so unpersonal and the shattering is bad".

The shattering was -amazing- and it updated the badly outdated old zones. The quests are MUCH better, much more stream-lined and what's more is that now- more than ever before in the old world- do the quests build you up as 'the main hero'. I don't know what you are talking about at ALL when you got to that part of the post, other than just typical "it was better in the old days" nostalgic spewing.
    Well i agree and disagree. For storyline and progression, it messes it up. you go from cataclysm 1-60, to illidan, to lich king, back to cataclysm. I would have much rather have seen 1-60 stay, and then in cataclysm have 80-90 questing all over ALL of azeroth, phasing in people at level 60, with alternate 60-80 quests in azeroth as well. It's mainly the continuity problem I have with it.

Lightforged Draenei
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Milerks View Post
    start on a vanilla private server and start calling youself "vanilla player"
    I used to play on a private server early 2006. So yeah, swapped to retail when my friend bought his account few months later then we shared it.

Quote Originally Posted by taurenguard View Post
    Can somebody explain to me why the game classic wow is called ''vanila''? Always reminds me of ice cream.
    That's because ice cream is where the term "Vanilla" comes from.

I don't know for sure where the term first came up and people started to use it first (people always say it was from the Law And Order spin offs, but I'm not so sure if that's right, but whatever) but it basically means the first series/whatever of a franchise. Like, the first Law and Order show would be "Vanilla Law and Order" because it's not any of the spin-offs or expansions of the series- same with WoW.

It's as if the first WoW was the Vanilla flavor, and all the expansions have been flavors (like chocolate or strawberry or whatever) added to it. Get it?

Quote Originally Posted by JimPaladin View Post
    Is it a decent server? I've actually been interested in playing on a Private Server if it's a good Vanilla/possibly TBC. To my knowledge none exist that aren't crap like HeroesWoW or whatever. South American-run hellholes full of weird content and pay-to-win stuff.

Also, if it is a decent no-added-bull-shit server, what patch/build of Vanilla is it on?
    It's --REMOVED--. You can set your account to realtime 1x leveling. It is basically vanilla wow right before BC content. there are weekly av games going on at lvl 60. classic av games. that never ever ever end lol.

Discussing private servers is not allowed here
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2013-09-03 at 06:00 PM.