Page 1 of 2
LastLast

New Reptillian Race

Hi all! I have a new race idea. (Like the masses before me. )

I would love to see a race that was very reptilian. The lands could be desert based or swamp based. I like the idea of a race that both sides can play but they need to be more distinct by which side they align with. Perhaps Swampy with Alliance/Desert dwellers with Horde or vice-versa. The desert version longer and thin built for speed with a rill of horns like an iguana. The bog dweller short and fat like a toad but with horns on the arms/elbows and tail end and big upright tusks from the mouth.

Lore wise:

I would expect an easy way to introduce them would be that they were in hibernation or on a 'land of the lost/galapagos' style of island that is undiscovered. However, this would be too cliche based on how we just had Pandarens being a 'lost' race. How about a new portal opening into another realm/world like the BC Dark Portal. We didn't fully stop the Twilight Council (or perhaps the Shadow Council and the Burning Blade under Garrosh) and they created another Dark Portal (One of Many!) leading to another realm. Maybe even a race lost in time and being able to bring them to the present with the help of the Bronze Dragonflight.

My racial ideas would be:

Concealment (10 sec loss of aggro)
    Winged Leap (10 second controlled jump)
    (like the Warrior leap and Goblin booster but pilotable)
    Fear (3 sec fear)
    Eat Critter (2 min feeding frenzy buff increasing hit chance 1% by eating a critter)

I would love to see them play as:

Warrior
    Rouge
    Monk
    Shaman
    Priest
    Warlock
    Druid
    Another change I would make is in the druid forms:
    1. Tank - Turtle
    2. DPS - Komodo Dragon/Alligator/Crocodile
    3. Heals - Gecko

What do you think? Any thoughts? Too much like Saurok? I've thought about this for a while but with the new expansion coming out, I thought I'd throw this out there.

i would rather just have naga then to make a brand new race
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Born: Syracuse, NY; Currently live: Raleigh, NC
    Thematically it might work, but the racial durations (10 seconds) are a bit too long, and the DPS form for a druid needs to be a quick, agile, and graceful animal simply because that is the theme and toolkit for that class' role.

Deleted
    I honestly don't think we need anymore races for the next expansion. Blizzard should just be focusing more on updating the old ones.

10+ Year Old Account
    No. They're not gonna asspull a new, totally never before met race as playable.

Something you might notice about all WoW races is that they've been long-term lore known races since Warcraft III or earlier (bar Worgen, who were still present in Warcraft 2/3 as Gilneas)

No shitty fanfic races and, especially hopefully, none of those tryhard races like Ethereals.
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

Hey guises I heard we had a original Idea in this thread!
    Bow down before our new furry overlords!

Quote Originally Posted by ViridianCC View Post

Something you might notice about all WoW races is that they've been long-term lore known races since Warcraft III or earlier (bar Worgen, who were still present in Warcraft 2/3 as Gilneas)

No shitty fanfic races and, especially hopefully, none of those tryhard races like Ethereals.
    ... Draenei? Kinda?

Troll Druids could have:

Raptor = Cat form
    Direhorn = Bear form

The Unstoppable Force Resentful's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Why is the Ethereal a try hard race =/?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Guyviroth View Post
    ... Draenei? Kinda?
    That was a retcon-ish, but Eredar that look practically identical to the male Draenei that we know today did exist in Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne.

But that one was admittedly a big stretch retcon.

Quote Originally Posted by I make people mad View Post
    Why is the Ethereal a try hard race =/?
    Personal opinion, naturally. I don't think there's anything appealing about them. No known culture except that they pursue profit, and that's hardly intriguing. They also take effort, far too much effort, at just looking cool. Which is silly.

There's also a technical problem in that they are not humanoids. They bind themselves to better interact with mortals and have no consistent physical form without their wrappings. It wouldn't make any sense for them to bother to stay wrapped when they could simply use their natural forms of pure energy with practically no physical weaknesses.

Basically, a race that's trying hard to be badass. And that's really the only description you can make of them. It's a 12-year-old's idea of cool.
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

Deleted
    There's also a technical problem in that they are not humanoids.
    They're already classified as humanoids in the game.

great... World of Warcraft: Illuminati

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Silas Emile View Post
    great... World of Warcraft: Illuminati
    Reptillian's would be cool. I would love to play as a shape-shifting reptilian who teleports between dimensions and controls everything in order to feed off the negative frequencies.

But if we're going to add aliens into the mix, why not add in the greys and the nordic races as well..
    Hi

That was a retcon-ish, but Eredar that look practically identical to the male Draenei that we know today did exist in Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne.

But that one was admittedly a big stretch retcon.

Personal opinion, naturally. I don't think there's anything appealing about them. No known culture except that they pursue profit, and that's hardly intriguing. They also take effort, far too much effort, at just looking cool. Which is silly.

There's also a technical problem in that they are not humanoids. They bind themselves to better interact with mortals and have no consistent physical form without their wrappings. It wouldn't make any sense for them to bother to stay wrapped when they could simply use their natural forms of pure energy with practically no physical weaknesses.

Basically, a race that's trying hard to be badass. And that's really the only description you can make of them. It's a 12-year-old's idea of cool.

Yes.. that would obviously be just -your- opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    Draenei and Vrykul
    /smacks forehead. Blizzard = Illuminati. CONSPIRACY? get your tinfoil hats out...
    Hi

The 2.41667 twelve-year-olds sitting between my chair and keyboard think they're pretty cool.

And they don't wrap themselves in bandages because they want to look cool or present a friendly face to mortals, they do it because their energy forms are unstable and prone to evaporating into nothingness. Their energy forms are not their natural forms either. They were flesh-and-blood humanoids who got their souls ripped out by a planet-wide wave of void energy.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account

So we both can agree, that naga can be defined as a try-hard? At least from this, we can clear everyone's imagination about having a fish or reptile race.

10+ Year Old Account
    like the saurok?

I don't think a race will come out of nowhere, the two most novel races are the Draenei (a strong ret-con, but derived from the WCIII_expansion Eredar+Draenei) and the Worgen (existed since vanilla) and neither could be said to 'come out of nowhere.

i think there are so many existing races that it would be shame not to take advantage of them, especially old and perennial favorites (Naga, Ogres)

I don't think anything prevents expansion-based flavor races from being pulled out of the their respective expansions (Etherials) unless they are too similar to existing races (Vrykul vis-a-vis Humans) and would compete.

Deleted
    The Saurok would have been a perfect reptilian race to be honest. Since Blizzard are only 25% through the new models they really shouldn't be working on any new ones until they're done.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Harmonious View Post
    The Saurok would have been a perfect reptilian race to be honest. Since Blizzard are only 25% through the new models they really shouldn't be working on any new ones until they're done.
    Appearance wise they aren't bad. Not much culture to speak of, being mutant kleptomaniac hoarders. But they were kinda kitbashed into existence without a history or any kind of societal development, so they haven't done too badly.

Plus, they'd have poop elementals.