Page 1 of 2
LastLast

[Books] Fantasy books

I'm looking for books in the style of The Ranger's Apprentice and The Spook's Apprentice, maybe Septimus Heap aswell, and the Inheritance cycle.

I like that they start out like somewhat normal kids, not knowing much, but then gradually learn about whatever the book is about over time. I don't really like overly dramatic stuff either so if it's a book like this, it'll probably be aimed towards early teens maybe? I'm not really sure.

Lloyd Alexander's The Chronicles of Prydain is probably the gold standard here.

You might also like books by Tamora Pierce. Pierce skews female though, and the examples you've cited feature male protagonists. Also, Harry Potter is in this vein, though I assume you've read them.

Quote Originally Posted by RohanV View Post
    Lloyd Alexander's The Chronicles of Prydain is probably the gold standard here.

You might also like books by Tamora Pierce. Pierce skews female though, and the examples you've cited feature male protagonists. Also, Harry Potter is in this vein, though I assume you've read them.
    I'll check out the Chronicles of Prydain thanks, and I've never read a fantasy with a female main character so that might be interesting. And yeah, Harry Potter would be the obvious example, can't imagine how I'd forget that!

Bloodsail Admiral Brightamethyst's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Pierce is pretty good, though as mentioned she's heavy on the girl power stuff.

10+ Year Old Account
    Check out the "Watch" series by Sergei Lukyanenko, BRILLIANT series, starts with Night Watch.

I must have read the whole series through (Night Watch, Day Watch, Twilight Watch, Last Watch and the latest, New Watch which I've just started) about... 4 or 5 times (except the new one, obviously ). A great season, VERY easy to read, great characters, an easy b+ across the board.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Still looking for similar books. I've read Prydain chronicles and the watch series, and didn't really like what I read from Tamora Pierce.

10+ Year Old Account
    Gumdrop House, Lollipop Lane, Happy Land.
    Try the Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks (starts with The Way of Shadows). Young, male, fairly clueless main protagonist who is quickly thrown in at the deep end to sink or swim.
    Alternatively, you could try the Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. Features another young, male protagonist trying to make his way in the world.
    Sorry, not much detail but I'm fairly paranoid about giving away plot points. :P

Another one you could try is the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan . I personally didn't like it a great deal and only read the first two in the (very, very long) series, but I know others that love them.
    Avatar and signature made by ELYPOP

10+ Year Old Account
    Wheel of Time is a wonderful series, the first couple of books are middling, it then gets better and better till you hit about book 8, when it gets kinda bad till you hit book 10/11 then it gets awesome again and the last book is fucking EPIC.

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Wheel of Time is a wonderful series, the first couple of books are middling, it then gets better and better till you hit about book 8, when it gets kinda bad till you hit book 10/11 then it gets awesome again and the last book is fucking EPIC.
    I can totally agree with this. The only problem I had with the last book is The confrontation with Fain seemed kind of anti-climatic. I expected a lot more

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sorry, but I haven't read any of the books you referenced.

I do love reading fantasy, and my favorite series/saga Shannara by Terry Brooks is worth a look. Start with: "The Sword of Shannara", "The Elfstones of Shannara", and "The Wishsong of Shannara." The series consists of strong male and female characters, and most of them start off not knowing anything or what they're capable of. "The First King of Shannara" is a prequel to the three I already listed, and it can be read before or after his first trilogy.

Deleted
    Memory, Sorrow and Thorn by Tad Williams is a fairly decent fantasy series involving a young lad working in a kitchen becoming a central player in a battle against an ancient evil. It's not young adult but it's not terribly adult. Strong writing but a fairly traditional plot.
    Scott Westerfield's Leviathan series is fairly decent as far as YA fantasy goes. I read my daughter's copy, and I usually can't get past ten pages of her stuff.. Fairly steampunky, decent writing, strong characters.

Magician: Apprentice and Magician: Master by Raymond E. Fest are also great books that fit into your criteria. It's also at the top of my list for all time best fantasy books. The rest of the Riftwar Series is pretty good too.

I haven't read Memory, Sorrow and Thorn since the mid 90s but I do remember enjoying it immensely. Another series by him, Otherland, is also pretty great. It's about a virtual video game set in Egypt that is more real than it seems.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    I can totally agree with this. The only problem I had with the last book is The confrontation with Fain seemed kind of anti-climatic. I expected a lot more
    100% agreed I also thought all the stuff with Perrin and Slayer was pretty stupid, I almost would have preferred them to get rid of Slayer completely and have Perrin fight Fain.

Also, based on what the OP says he enjoys, I would recommend "His Dark Materials" by Phillip Pullman, although tbh if the OP had been asking for biographies of Gangsta Rappers I still would suggest His Dark Materials, because I frakkin LOVE those books .

Check out the "Watch" series by Sergei Lukyanenko, BRILLIANT series, starts with Night Watch.

I must have read the whole series through (Night Watch, Day Watch, Twilight Watch, Last Watch and the latest, New Watch which I've just started) about... 4 or 5 times (except the new one, obviously ). A great season, VERY easy to read, great characters, an easy b+ across the board.
    Do these go into more than the movies? I know it was originally a trilogy but in the movies it was just day watch and night watch that covered all 3 books. Is there more now or do all 5 comprise the movies (if you've seen them)

Signature Created by Jassinta

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NightZero88 View Post
    Do these go into more than the movies? I know it was originally a trilogy but in the movies it was just day watch and night watch that covered all 3 books. Is there more now or do all 5 comprise the movies (if you've seen them)
    you have NO idea :P, the whole movie was basically the first 1/3 of the first book, but mangled to make it more cinematic . There second film was... wrong, on every level and bears no resemblances whatsoever to anything in the books, then as the second movie bombed so hard, they didn't bother making the third. I only got about 1/2 way through the second film before I had to stop, it was just wrong. He actually makes a joke about the movies in the third book, but I wont say any more, spoilers .

I'm 1/2 way through the 5th book now and it's EPIC, a must read.

you have NO idea :P, the whole movie was basically the first 1/3 of the first book, but mangled to make it more cinematic . There second film was... wrong, on every level and bears no resemblances whatsoever to anything in the books, then as the second movie bombed so hard, they didn't bother making the third. I only got about 1/2 way through the second film before I had to stop, it was just wrong. He actually makes a joke about the movies in the third book, but I wont say any more, spoilers .

I'm 1/2 way through the 5th book now and it's EPIC, a must read.
    I actually enjoyed the movies. But that may have been because I didn't read the books. I'll have to pick these up after I finish my current set (9 Ender's Game books..oh my) which may take a while. How long are the books?

Signature Created by Jassinta

Quote Originally Posted by RohanV View Post
    Maybe try some of the books from this list:

http://bestfantasybooks.com/best-chi...asy-books.html
    I love this site. The user ranking list at the bottom where people up/down vote book is also a great way to find your next book. I generally check the children's section before I buy something to make sure I"m not buying a book aimed a younger audience.

if you dont mind getting into one that is just starting and promises to be a long time until it concludes id recommend stormlight archives series by brandon sanderson. afaik there is only 1 book out so far
    Quote Originally Posted by TradewindNQ View Post
    The fucking Derpship has crashed on Herp Island...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Meet the new derp.

Same as the old derp.

Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    if you dont mind getting into one that is just starting and promises to be a long time until it concludes id recommend stormlight archives series by brandon sanderson. afaik there is only 1 book out so far
    Brandon is halfway through the third draft of Words of Radiance (book 2) and it's due out March 4, 2014. Can't wait.