Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Titan
    10+ Year Old Account

Ever had anything stolen? Or house broken in to?

My parents just told me that someone has been in their garage and stolen 7 cases of imported, danish beer. A nearby local produce store was also broken in to, but there they took money.
    Personally, I've had my storage broken in to. I lost a lot of personal things, nothing valuable but personal.

But I can't help but feel worried for my parents. What's to say these people don't come back and get bolder? My father is blind with back pains and diabetes and my mother is hardly an aggressive person. I dread the notion that they might have their house broken in to and their lives threatened. They have a low income, so anythign they have is precious to them.

Have you ever had anything stolen from you? What did you feel afterwards? Did it happen again?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, I've had many things stolen from me. It made me pissed off, so I bought better doors, barred my windows, and house guard dogs.
    You're getting exactly what you deserve.

15+ Year Old Account
    never had anything stolen from me
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    So, look um, I'm not a grief counselor, but if it's any consolation, I have had to kill and bury loved ones before. A bunch of times actually.
    Quote Originally Posted by PC2 View Post
    I never said I was knowledge-able and I wouldn't even care if I was the least knowledge-able person and the biggest dumb-ass out of all 7.8 billion people on the planet.

I had a friend continually steal money from me. When it started going missing I thought I was just losing my mind. I couldn't genuinely believe that my best friend would take money from me, especially on more than one occasion. Though the idea was alien, I pursued it, and marked a bill. Sure enough, we went out, he paid for a movie ticket with the marked bill. I felt so....betrayed. Not even angry, just hurt really.

I cut ties with him (I was too young and beta to do anything else back then) and haven't really since him since.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

So then put in some home security, identify weak points of the house that could be easy entry points and improve upon them. Simple things like security lights and an extra lock can go a long way to actually deterring a potential burglar. Why go for the house which has those extra deterrents over those who have none?

10+ Year Old Account
    never had anything stolen from me.

apart from family anyway.
    dragonmaw - EU

I had my truck stolen while I was at work, this was when I was working doing surveying and tree removal in the middle of nowhere with a friend of mine. Anyways we hiked back out the the clearing where we had parked and my truck and my buddies bike were missing. We had to spend almost 2 days getting back to the nearest town, it would have been one, but we decided to stay there for the night since it was already getting dark and we did not want to risk getting lost.

Anyways... we felt pretty angry, and it was very awkward trying to explain to the boss why we had not called (CB's were in the truck we used short range walkie talkies when in the bush) and how we had lost about $5000 in equipement. He was not angry after we explained it but when we first got back he was pretty pissed at us.

At least all your parents/you lost were things that are easily replaceable, not only did we both loose our vehicles but the guys who stole my friends bike wrecked it in a small canyon not to far from where we were working and the guys who stole my truck decided it needed a viking funeral as they could not access the back to steal/sell the tools.
    Last edited by Zergin8r; 2013-09-04 at 07:25 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had my car stolen. Then my other car vandalized. My storage room raided by my weirdo neighbor because my landlords were morons and gave us keys to the same one.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Someone once went through all the effort of breaking into my garage and going through the boxes in there, but stole nothing. I wasn't sure whether to feel violated or offended that they didn't think my stuff was worth stealing.

FINE I'M SURE YOUR STUFF IS CRAP TOO, DUDE.

I've had my car broken into once. It wouldn't have beena big deal since it was a $50 stereo they took, except that to get inside, they chipped out all the fibreglass around the door handle instead of just breaking a window. Trust me, getting your entire door reglassed and repainted is a lot more expensive than replacing a side window

Had some klepto friends when I was younger who would steal shit they wanted out of my house, but no break-ins.

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    I had my car stolen. Then my other car vandalized. My storage room raided by my weirdo neighbor because my landlords were morons and gave us keys to the same one.
    Iv'e had some teens put sugar in my gas tank once.... turns out they had done the same thing to all the vehicles on out street, including about 100 belonging to people in the apartments at the end of the street. So yeah... about 250 people had to get very expensive work done on engines/fuel lines ect... going from what I had to pay as an average, they did about $200.000 in damages. The best part of all? They were 14-15 so they got off with nothing but a warning.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post
    I've had my car broken into once. It wouldn't have been that big of a deal to me since it was like a $50 stereo they took, but to get in they chipped out the fibreglass around the door handle and pushed it inside the door to get in instead of just breaking a window. Trust me, getting your entire door reglassed and repainted is a lot more expensive than replacing a side window

Yeah a window is like $70-100, getting a handle replaced is like $400, this happened to me as well same teens that were putting sugar in gas tanks. Again... nothing but a warning.

Had house broken in to long ago but had several rottweilers at the time so it worked itself out.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Deleted
    No, but I had to break into my own house yesterday because I locked myself out. I found it was ridiculously easy to get in through the bathroom window

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zergin8r View Post
    Yeah a window is like $70-100, getting a handle replaced is like $400, this happened to me as well same teens that were putting sugar in gas tanks. Again... nothing but a warning.
    The handle/lock hardware itself was actually fine. They just removed the door around it and then pushed the whole piece of hardware inside the door. It caused a short, but I was able to retrieve the intact handle and lock from inside my door by removing the inside panel, so I didn't need to buy a new one or get the car rekeyed or anything.

It was just, you know, the giant hand-sized hole in my door

(and seriously, that had to have taken a long time for them to do, chipping away at the door with a screwdriver, compared with a couple seconds to smash a window. I JUST DONT UNDERSTAND)

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope. Had to break into my own house once though through the basement windows, since my mother locked us outside one day though. Thank goodness I'm thin, eh?

On my birthday, when I was like 5, I got a remote controlled monster truck. The controller was a wheel and it made it turn when you turned it in the air, it was pretty rad. I was playing in the backyard which had an open gate into the courtyard of our apartment block at the time. I went inside for lunch and left it in the yard. Came back and someone stole it D: I was so sad.

Then when I was about 11 in a new home, my uncle was visiting from the UK for Xmas. His flight being delayed and such didn't get in until about 2am. That next morning, someone tried to break in to a basement window of our house. Which was pretty dumb, considering the basement windows all have Burglar Bars in them...which are basically tempered steel barriers that are screwed into the window frame with like 8 inch screws with lead plugs in the socket. Long and short of it, basically impregnable without an acetylene torch. I heard the glass shatter in my bedroom (I was up watching tv at the time) and saw Moron McNofuckingclue trying to bend the bar. Went and phoned the cops and woke up my jetlagged, completely unconscious Uncle to say "someone is breaking in!" Dude never got beyond the bar, given that it was like -20C he likely gave up before freezing to death. That's the only instance of crime in my neighborhood in the 21 years I've been living there.
    "You six-piece Chicken McNobody."
    Quote Originally Posted by RICH816 View Post
    You are a legend thats why.

Only once living in the basement of a house in university. I didn't know my roomate but he looked about 17/18 and I was pretty sure he got kicked out of his house and he had no money. He started taking food mostly and I told him never do it again. For different reasons I moved away so I would be curious to see what happened to him.

My brother and dad both had their vehicles broken into with the thieves took mostly music Cd's. The funniest was cops pulled them over for an unrelated reason and found my brothers kid's Elmo CD so they knew who to call to return them to. As it turned out it was a couple of 16 year old kids.

Worst was the time they broke into my workplace taking a bunch of computers. They even took our server which pissed us off because it would have been unusable by them since it wasn't a Windows server. Cops said most likely it's in a landfill somewhere.

A couple of weeks ago I came home piss drunk after a night on town, and forgot to close the front door behind me (and left the keys in the door) to my apartment, and passed out in bed - I got woken up by one of my neighbours ive met in passing poking me with my keys in hand, he said "Hey man, looks like you've had a good night on town, you forgot to lock up, here are your keys, could you close the door behind me?"

So, yes, ive been broken into, in a way - But nothing stolen.. <3 Denmark

When I was on vacation they broke open the door to our apartment when we were all at the beach. Ironically the only thing they took was the safe. They broke the whole thing out of the wall. Had to get a a wheel clamp for our own car in case they came back because the car keys were in there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Recently sold an iPhone 5 for 500 euros (brand new) to some guy. Too bad he paid with counterfeit money. Currently trying to get my money/phone back through force (police/bank).

Don't know yet if I will get anything back, but I just can't let him walk away. He deserves to burn.

10+ Year Old Account
    I had the softtop of my convertable slashed so someone could steal an empty backpack. That still torques me to this day.