Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Guardian Legendary Cloak

Apologise if this has been asked before but which exactly should we be using for 5.4 ? Tigerfang or Oxhoof?

dps proc is a lot reduced if you in tanking spec, same with meta gem,
    either dodge>haste

Deleted
    so basically tanking meta, tanking cloak

Probably recommend the tanking cloak just because making up that 1000 Expertise is a huge pain with the itemization in T16.

Just get both.

Deleted
    You can only have 1 cloak atm, wonder if thats likely to change.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucifuriex View Post
    You can only have 1 cloak atm, wonder if thats likely to change.
    They've already confirmed that you can have multiple in 5.4.

they're changing the secondary stats on the tanking cloak to make it more appealing because it was shitty. that's what I read anyway. either way the tanking proc is really worth it and the dps proc is really nerfed. that and ur primary goal as a tank is to stay alive, not dishing more dps.

15+ Year Old Account
    as far as iv read the blue post, you can only have 1 legendary cloak and multiple epic cloaks
    but as the dps proc got reduced, id say go for the tanking cloak unless you raid 10 man and tank dps is importent for you
    TREE DURID IS 4 PEE

Get both and swap out accordingly.

Like most things in this game, which cloak you use is determined by your raid setup, the content you are facing, and personal preference. People that say its not a tank's job to Dps are misguided. A tank's job, like every other raider, is to do whatever helps kill the boss. That could mean using the tank cloak on progression or it could mean using the the Dps cloak to help kill boss/adds just a lil bit quicker when your survival isn't an issue.

Its true the legendary Dps Meta and cloak procs did get reduced for tanks but it is still free Dps any way you slice it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kioga View Post
    Get both and swap out accordingly.

People that say its not a tank's job to Dps are misguided. A tank's job, like every other raider, is to do whatever helps kill the boss. That could mean using the tank cloak on progression or it could mean using the the Dps cloak to help kill boss/adds just a lil bit quicker when your survival isn't an issue.

Its true the legendary Dps Meta and cloak procs did get reduced for tanks but it is still free Dps any way you slice it.
    Well, blizzard is reducing those procs and effects for tanks so i think they're saying dps is for dps players. whenever u can do more damage DO IT, but the dps' dps is the one that must be enuf for the raid to down bosses. I dont think anyone should look at the dps tanks are dishing, and blizz is certainly balancing around the expected tank dps numbers. it's ridiculous when i see tanks #1/#2 dps in the raid, and it's not even dps' fault (means the dps is good as expected) or tanks raging about losing much dps from a certain change. I mean if I wanted to care that much abt my dps I would go dps spec. Many people will not agree with me but that's the way i see it. I'm fine with losing dps if I get strong survival and defensives.

even with the reduction on the dps proc rate using both the legendary back and legendary meta will probably net about the same gain (percentage wise) as the dps meta is giving on live.

Personally I'll have both (I raid 10m), probably use the legendary back for fights with lots of adds assuming there's no massive boss damage ability that risks being one shot. Outside of that though I plan on using the tanking legendarys for pretty much anything, the tanking meta is almost too good not to use now, no matter how much the extra damage from the dps meta might help.

It depends on what content you're pushing such as 25m hcs within the first month or so, 10m normals for the first few weeks, etc. For me personally, I would use (during progression)

- Tank Meta always
    - Tank Cloak for main tanking a boss and DPS cloak for tanking waves of adds

My reasoning is that i'm less likely to get a large hit as opposed to a large number of smalls hits which might kill me while tanking adds compared to boss tanking so the tank cloak loses its appeal while the extra dps from the DPS cloak cleave would help kill off adds. This is of course my opinion and tanking is my second OS so take this with a pinch of salt.

Quote Originally Posted by Arielle View Post
    Probably recommend the tanking cloak just because making up that 1000 Expertise is a huge pain with the itemization in T16.

Just get both.
    it's for strength claock, agility is untouched

Quote Originally Posted by Zstr View Post
    it's for strength claock, agility is untouched
    No, both tanking cloaks had Dodge replaced with Expertise.

Quote Originally Posted by Trubo View Post
    No, both tanking cloaks had Dodge replaced with Expertise.
    Correct. Some of us had made posts about this a while back, since these changes were in effect for quite a few PTR builds:

Expertise is on all tanking cloaks, regardless of primary stat.
    All epic/legendary cloaks from the questline are Unique-Equipped, so you can have as many as you want.
    The questline will upgrade one of your cloaks from epic to legendary for free.
    You can purchase additional epic cloaks for 10,000g base cost.
    You can purchase an item to upgrade an epic cloak to legendary for 100g base cost.
    The vendor that has sold all the previous legendary questline items will have the cloaks and upgrade item.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville

Quote Originally Posted by exochaft View Post
    Correct. Some of us had made posts about this a while back, since these changes were in effect for quite a few PTR builds:

Expertise is on all tanking cloaks, regardless of primary stat.
    All epic/legendary cloaks from the questline are Unique-Equipped, so you can have as many as you want.
    The questline will upgrade one of your cloaks from epic to legendary for free.
    You can purchase additional epic cloaks for 10,000g base cost.
    You can purchase an item to upgrade an epic cloak to legendary for 100g base cost.
    The vendor that has sold all the previous legendary questline items will have the cloaks and upgrade item.
    Just the info I'd been looking for - thanks!

Picked the DPS cloak before they buggered with tanking cloaks stats, and was wondering if I needed to change it before completing the ledge chain in 5.4; guess in that case I don't, and can just buy/upgrade an extra tank one in 5.4.

Still feel that with our stam buff, being pigeon holed into the tanking cloak/meta is a bit overkill though. Stam meta and stam trinks, and on top of that, a boring cloak proc that'll you'll never be excited/happy/want to see proc because it means someone badly fucked up inc. /sigh

Almost tempted to just keep the DPS ones...

Still feel that with our stam buff, being pigeon holed into the tanking cloak/meta is a bit overkill though. Stam meta and stam trinks, and on top of that, a boring cloak proc that'll you'll never be excited/happy/want to see proc because it means someone badly fucked up inc. /sigh
    That's what I've been saying this whole round of ptr, it could at least be something interesting, even just a nice big absorption effect on a CD or something for us to interact with. I mean I guess technically you can be like oh this next hit is going to kill me but I'm just gonna eat it without a CD because my legendary cloak will proc. But that's pretty retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by felcommander View Post
    you can be like oh this next hit is going to kill me but I'm just gonna eat it without a CD because my legendary cloak will proc. But that's pretty retarded.
    Now there's a thought, I hope it still gives vengeance when you survive it =DDD (note: things which 'save' you from dying such as ardent defender don't give extra vengeance so i'm skeptical at this point)

Quote Originally Posted by felcommander View Post
    That's what I've been saying this whole round of ptr, it could at least be something interesting, even just a nice big absorption effect on a CD or something for us to interact with. I mean I guess technically you can be like oh this next hit is going to kill me but I'm just gonna eat it without a CD because my legendary cloak will proc. But that's pretty retarded.
    Personally, I get the feeling that if the majority of tanks start using the cloak proc to deliberately 'die without dying' on certain bosses/mechanics, we might well end up seeing a nerf to the proc; would be kinda hilarious.

Dunno... it just feels like a bit like an 'asking for exploits to be found' sort of proc.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiarra View Post
    Personally, I get the feeling that if the majority of tanks start using the cloak proc to deliberately 'die without dying' on certain bosses/mechanics, we might well end up seeing a nerf to the proc; would be kinda hilarious.

Dunno... it just feels like a bit like an 'asking for exploits to be found' sort of proc.
    It's actually quite common, since similar mechanics have been used in a such a way for a long time. It's like a rogue solo-soaking a Static Shock on Lei Shen: the intended way to deal with the mechanic is to have people stack up to split the damage, but a rogue's ability to eat a huge hit and not die occasionally is common practice. If the legendary tanking cloak is used in a similar fashion, I highly doubt anything will be done about it (although the cooldown on the proc was raised to 2 min, up from 1 min, quite a few builds back... considering you could two-tank an encounter and have them alternate and die every 30 seconds is borderline silly).

From actually tanking the encounters, while there are a couple of encounters where we could just let ourselves "die" on purpose to deal with mechanics, most do not readily support this kind of application. Most of the incoming damage is generally a combination of several sources of damage in a short window, and fortunately the hits are usually large enough to make the proc worthwhile and not lead to a death immediately after the proc. I'm not saying it's impossible, rather the chances are pretty good if you "die" unintentionally that you have the potential to recover.

Overall, I'd say the potential for unintended death recovery is much greater than the need to use the proc to deal with a mechanic in SoO.
    Last edited by exochaft; 2013-09-06 at 02:24 AM.
    “Society is endangered not by the great profligacy of a few, but by the laxity of morals amongst all.”
    “It's not an endlessly expanding list of rights — the 'right' to education, the 'right' to health care, the 'right' to food and housing. That's not freedom, that's dependency. Those aren't rights, those are the rations of slavery — hay and a barn for human cattle.”
    ― Alexis de Tocqueville