Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

"Leveling sucks"

Problem: Leveling was fun the first time around, a bit less fun the second time around on your first alt, a tad dull on your third, then boring, then please kill me, etc etc.

Blizzard's solution: Heirlooms in every slot, reduce XP required to ding by 90%, make mobs die from being given a stern look, make instances 10 minuter zerg fests. Basically make it as quick and brain-dead as possible.

Better solution: Make the world a living and exciting place. Add events. Make the world constantly changing. Make it change from what players do to it. I believe WoW has the best world and lore of all MMO's out there at their disposal but it's going COMPLETELY to waste. If I could change one thing that would improve WoW it would be this. Have everyone out in Azeroth experiencing and changing the world, meeting new friends and making new enemies in world PvP. Instead of sitting like a bunch of brain-dead chickens in capitals trying to pick gear off a conveyor belt in order to increase their ilevel.

Thoughts?

10+ Year Old Account
    I made a thread months ago about possibly having random quest/events pop up in zones that are available for a limited time a la Diablo 3.

Would love to see that happen. Would definitely change up leveling a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Kazim View Post
    Thoughts?
    Thoughts are that you'll get an influx of derps saying that leveling was never fun, or never hard, just tedious, bla bla yadda. Personally I think leveling needs to be made challenging again, the absurd ease of it is why folks consider it such a bore. And if you don't like it, don't roll alts.

*shrug*

Blizz is too cheap at this point to add events, although I do think that would be a very good idea. Cross realms IMO was good for making the world feel more alive (even if it does lead to 90's ganking lowbies), but I do think they should be doing more - group quests should be brought back IMO (too late though now, I doubt after all the cata stuff, they will go back and spice it up).

I'd personally like to see bigger xp increases from lowbie BG's, it should be a perfectly fine alternative (sometimes it's not bad, but it's still typically much slower than questing).

10+ Year Old Account
    i love leveling

leveling a new character is the best aspect of the game

leveling is more fun that gearing max level toons and running end-game raids or competitive PvP

leveling is so goddamn fun i create new characters, level them, delete them, and start new character, just to level them again.

Great idea in theory, but take Rift for an example: they have constant changing events happening in the world, what with random rifts opening unleashing hell upon anyone close, but even people get bored with that. WoW has always been a more end game MMO, and do well at it. The constant change is end game where new content is being released at a rapid pace.

I'd personally love to see what you suggested implemented, but there's a lot of PvPers who hate PvE, and PvE players who hate PvP, so the PvPers would hate the PvE content changing, and the PvE players would hate the world PvP possibility of being killed.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazim View Post
    Better solution: Make the world a living and exciting place.
    A lot of people just aren't interested in leveling.

They want to PvP or PvE at max level, and anything that distracts from it sucks.

Deleted
    Personally I enjoy the leveling experience more than endgame in MMO's, that's why I think it's a shame it's so stale in WoW and it's disappointing that Blizzard's solution seems to be "ah F*** it, lets just speed players to 90 asap".

Field Marshal Rathnor The Flesher's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    You got no argument from me, mon frere. Far too much is just handed to the player for convenience's sake.

10+ Year Old Account
    You can't please everyone all the time... 'Shrug'

I personally like leveling.. I take different zone paths each time... I have at least one of every class at minimum lvl 85, some more than one. I have three 90s currently.
    Leveling isn't boring to me. I enjoy it. Many people do too... some don't... It's called opinion. I think Blizzard's solution is a fair compromise. I can still enjoy leveling and do it a tad faster because I have a high level toon already and was able to buy complete sets of heirlooms..
    Last edited by Bristae; 2013-09-05 at 04:47 PM.
    Fanboy (Fanboi):
    1. A term used towards someone when a person disagrees with the said someone on a subject, person, place, thing, company, or product line and they are not smart enough to debate their counterpoints or facts, so they resort to childish name calling in hopes of shaming others into silence and thus them winning through dominance.* 2. A term used as a taunt/peer pressure technique to shape popular opinion through shame and humiliation.

Leveling is still entertaining imo. I'm on my 8th alt about to hit 90

Quote Originally Posted by Grubjuice View Post
    i love leveling

leveling is more fun that gearing max level toons and running end-game raids or competitive PvP

leveling is so goddamn fun i create new characters, level them, delete them, and start new character, just to level them again.
    So I'm not the only one!

Blizzard is VERY BAD at events. They are buggy and never work right. See AQ and Gnomer events.
    They are also too scared to change anything that big. They are always worried about the new players getting killed and quitting.

They have no clue how awesome it would be if a Fel Reaver found his way through the Dark Portal and into Elwyn Forest.

i dont like leveling my rogue. every other class is somewhat fun to play but then again i hate doing those quest over and over and over and over this expansion i levled 2 characters to lvl 90 rogue and monk in cata i leveled every class to 85 thats because cata was way more alt friendly and you could fly in questing zones
    the ultimate answer's to all rogue issues :

-Rogues might still be dealing with the changes to combo points {2014}

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    For the first time, I find the latest content the most boring to level up in.

I still find classic > the rest. Followed by BC and WotLK quite close to each other.

By Classic I mean the old areas, I don't mind the new quests, tho I also liked the original ones.

I found MoP to be the best new Xpack pvp up ever the first 22 nonstop hours of launch. But the second time it was boring as hell already, something that never happened to me before and I've leveled around 13 times in classic, 10 in BC, Wrath and Cata and just 3 and a half in MoP :/

It has nothing to do with the lvl up in general as I find myself leveling a low lvl alt while I can't be arsed to lvl an 85 character.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Thoughts are that you'll get an influx of derps saying that leveling was never fun, or never hard, just tedious, bla bla yadda. Personally I think leveling needs to be made challenging again, the absurd ease of it is why folks consider it such a bore. And if you don't like it, don't roll alts.

*shrug*
    but thats just it, in my opinion its never really been hard or challenging. sure back in the day there were elite mobs in certain areas and there were group quests but you could skip some if wanted to.

that being said, leveling to me is one of the most enjoyable aspects of any mmo. the immersion of the story and the thought of your character getting more powerful with each level is a treadmill all in its own for me. this is part of the reason i enjoyed the old talent system where you got a talent point every level. was it perfect? not by any means. could you notice a difference in power with each point? not always, but it did give me something to look forward to.

i was skeptical of the MoP talent system when i first read about it but i decided if i ever got to try it out i would try my hardest to enjoy it and look at it with an open mind. i got a free week awhile back and since i hadnt bought MoP i didnt (couldnt i dont think) want to spoil/waste any quests. so i played some alts and leveled a shaman up. the immersion was pretty lackluster and every now and then i would gain a level and not get anything "new". some of the talent choices just seemed like no brainers to me and the more i looked at them on some of my other toons the more i realized how similar they all were tier for tier. for instance (and im just using this as an example) the first tier talent point on my death knight was basically the same thing as the first tier talent on my warlock in that it was a healing type, defense spell.

dont get me wrong, the old system wasnt perfect but i much rather preferred it over the new one. just my thoughts

Deleted
    I find levelling a character the best part of the game for me, honestly. Looking forward to my new abilities and things to do, and enjoying the quest's storyline. I find end-game content quite repetitive and dull, so the journey to max level is what makes a big part of an MMO for me. I wouldn't complain if it was harder/longer, tbh.

Though your ideas about events and stuff could be very interesting. I love levelling in GW2, it just feels so fast-paced and exciting with all of the events constantly springing up through the map. Fighting tough enemies that spawn alongisde 10 other players at level 8 takes the cake in my book! :P

+1
    Timeless island is going to have some random events+quests+exploration. Maybe they are "testing" new ideas for new zones, new mechanics and new technology that give players something "new" in form of new leveling and playing style. Care for environment, hide when the things go wrong, etc...

Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post

*shrug*
    Interesting mind set. Are you saying the sole purpose of alts is to enjoy the awesome experience of leveling ? Once you level a toon, does everyone sit around and say "Gosh I want to do that all over again" ?
    Last edited by Mad_Murdock; 2013-09-05 at 05:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Grubjuice View Post
    i love leveling

and here I thought I was the only one having fun leveling up toons as opposed to gearing them up when I max out at 90.