View Poll Results: what do you think of russia sending in warships?

Voters
182. This poll is closed
  • good move to save civilians

65 35.71%
  • bad move because it could lead to a conflict on accident

22 12.09%
  • russia wants to flex its muscles, maybe even start a small skirmish with the US

66 36.26%
  • other

29 15.93%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kellhound View Post
    The ships currently in the Med are no match for a squadron of US destroyers, not even close. The Moskva is the only Russian ship with any significant ASuW capability deployed in the region, the Russian Pac Flt unit that just arrived consists of one Udaloy I ASW destroyer, 2 LSTs, and auxilaries. And RUssia already had "human shields" in country as advisors. It would take a blatant overt hostile act by either party to cause a war, even during the Cold War the fleets were not beyond hitting each other with no war breaking out.
    i didn't say the US wouldn't win i simply said that it couldn't do it without suffering some losses.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smelltheglove View Post
    and like i was saying, no, it wouldnt stop us, just them letting us know they can be annoying, and make themselves be noticed.
    Just putting ANY Russian ship at sea away from home waters makes international news these days, it doesn't take much for them to be noticed because they usually are not there to be noticed...

10+ Year Old Account
    I wanna play!

Oh never mind, saturated by army officials in heeah.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by goblinpaladin View Post
    i didn't say the US wouldn't win i simply said that it couldn't do it without suffering some losses.
    The US would have casualties only if the Aegis System fails completly at the task it was designed to handle from its inception, intercepting high-speed Russian anti-ship missiles. Unless the Russians are willing to intentionally lose by closing to visual range, they are very limitted on the number of anti-ship missiles they can fire: 16 SS-N-12s, 8 SS-N-22s, and 16 SS-N-14s (which are really an ASW weapon with a secondary ASuW capability), so 40 missiles total, a far cry from the 100-200 missiles that the US Navy was expecting a couple of Aegis equipt ships to face during the Cold War. And they would also have to get past the SLQ-32s, CIWSs and SuperRBOC systems. Its a game of numbers that does not favor them scoring any hits.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mukor View Post
    how fast can russia invade the united states, just need to spit and they'll hit an alaskan. how fast could the US defend. 1- 2 weeks late.

if we, the US, keep playing the role of the bully, someone bigger is going to hurt us. and last I remember russia is 2-0 in winter wars(napoleon, hitler).
    Nobody would notice a mobilization that massive in some of the worlds most heavily monitored airspace across from a US state the has been heavily armored toward repelling an invasion for over half a century?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Exaelitus View Post
    Nobody would notice a mobilization that massive in some of the worlds most heavily monitored airspace across from a US state the has been heavily armored toward repelling an invasion for over half a century?
    Russia does not even have the capacity to move enough troops and material to invade Alaska, let alone the Lower 48.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Exaelitus View Post
    Never mind that the US has outspent Russia in defense technology by whole magnitudes, every year, for nearly a century. The USSR wasn't as big a threat as Mukor is suggesting, and modern Russia is NO USSR. Believe that.
    "Stop being a giant trolling asshole." - Boubouille
    "The Internet is built on complaints about asinine things" - prefect
    "Facts became discussable when critical thinking stopped being the focus of education."- Chonogo
    "Sometimes people confuse "We Don't Understand This Yet" with "Ooga Booga Space Magic" - Chazus

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wikko View Post
    I find it funny how all the americans here laugh at Russia, when all they'd have to do is take down all the Mcdonalds in the US and the country would be no more
    That's all? What exactly makes you think that taking down every McDonalds in the US would be easy? That's like claiming that making cockroaches go extinct is an easy task.

Quote Originally Posted by Urti View Post
    Never mind that the US has outspent Russia in defense technology by whole magnitudes, every year, for nearly a century. The USSR wasn't as big a threat as Mukor is suggesting, and modern Russia is NO USSR. Believe that.
    As been said before, comparing dollar budgets is retarded.

The US budget is bloated because of maintenance (a lot of military bases world wide) and salaries/benefits. The R&D portion of the budget isn't nearly as impressive.

Ultimately, the human component is also important, and on both sides of the equation, all that high tech is being used by a bunch of dumbass high school dropouts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashnazg View Post
    As been said before, comparing dollar budgets is retarded.

The US budget is bloated because of maintenance (a lot of military bases world wide) and salaries/benefits. The R&D portion of the budget isn't nearly as impressive.

Ultimately, the human component is also important, and on both sides of the equation, all that high tech is being used by a bunch of dumbass high school dropouts.
    Lol, its basically impossible to get into the US Military without a GED at the very minimum? Or that all members of the US Military go to training for that equipment, some of which takes almost as long as the typical Russian conscript is in the Russian Military?

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    That was ww2, Americans were also very selfless in that war. They stormed the beach of normandy which is almost a suicide mission.
    Plus the russians had no choice, if they retreated they would have been killed by their own people.
    Was it selfless of the United States to wait 2 years to open the Western Front to take the pressure off the Russians? This selflessness caused the deaths of 20 million Russians, pissed off Stalin and led to the Cold War. For all the never-ending flag-waving from Americans, WWII ended at Volgograd. Thank the Russians for defeating Germany and move on with your lives.

10+ Year Old Account
    AFAIK Navy which is capable of air-defence is automated. It shoots when it detects threat. It cannot be canceled. So if those ships were there to shoot - it'd be obvious.
    Those whips are for different purpouse.
    Anyway, when Putin said he's to support Syria in case of attack, he meant that if US destoys something, he'll just give Syria new toys ASAP, like US never striked them.

Good, we need a more evenly matched opponent to deliver freedom to. And by evenly matched i mean 17 aircraft carriers to 1. But at-least they have 1!!

Quote Originally Posted by lockedout View Post
    Yeah why not send Yachts and luxury cruise ships?
    oh Lord, that actually made me laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    That was ww2, Americans were also very selfless in that war. They stormed the beach of normandy which is almost a suicide mission.
    Plus the russians had no choice, if they retreated they would have been killed by their own people.
    LULZ. That's all I can say.

Operation Overlord (The capturing of Normandy) was a joint operation by the Americans, the British and Canada.

World War 2 video games are a terrible historical recap.

All 3 nations suffered tremendous losses on D-Day.

The Syrian Government if I am not mistaken is allied to Russia. I believe the US is capitalizing on the civil war to try and create a government allied to the US instead. Chemical weapons? Just a pretext for interference. I have to say, on this particular conflict it is the Russians who come out looking noble.

Even the Western world is cynical of America's intentions these days.

The last Russian military base on foreign soil is in Syria. As for your argument, it's equally unwise for the US to send warships.

Light comes from darkness shise's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    If something ,Russia and US would fight alongside.

So go figure out...

Quote Originally Posted by tiporispit View Post
    Was it selfless of the United States to wait 2 years to open the Western Front to take the pressure off the Russians? This selflessness caused the deaths of 20 million Russians, pissed off Stalin and led to the Cold War. For all the never-ending flag-waving from Americans, WWII ended at Volgograd. Thank the Russians for defeating Germany and move on with your lives.
    Probably should have thought about that before they signed the Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact and helped demolish Poland with Germany.

Oh how noble!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Notchris View Post
    Probably should have thought about that before they signed the Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact and helped demolish Poland with Germany.

Oh how noble!
    Well, maybe not that noble, but USSR won 2 years of preparations, for you know, it was still very weak those days. Most of it's military powers were gained during ww2, not before it, only because everything was thrown into building war staff. They say Stalin pretended nazi aggression towards USSR was still unexpected, but this is just the cover.
    It sux that Poland was put between two fires 2 years earlier, but who knows, it could have been even worse if ww2 came to Russia 2 years earlier - should they have reached Moscow, the world may have had no time. Not only the biggest nazi-fighting forces of Russia could have been defeated, but it may have even be too late to invent and throw atomic bombs from USA. I'm afaid Poland events were more tactical then strategical
    Last edited by BreathTaker; 2013-09-08 at 09:37 PM.