Deleted

Troll racial for Rogues? How powerful?

Hi guys, I predominantly played Troll for the 5% beasts during ToT, however with only 1(?) in SoO I am considering changing to belf as I prefer Armor models on them.

One thing which is making me uneasy is the Berserking troll racial, can anybody clarify how much of a dps loss switching from troll to belf is, both for 5.3 and indeed 5.4.

Regards

Deleted
    shadowcraft.mmo-mumble.com

you can change your race and the patch in the settings

Quote Originally Posted by Norgaard View Post
    Hi guys, I predominantly played Troll for the 5% beasts during ToT, however with only 1(?) in SoO I am considering changing to belf as I prefer Armor models on them.

One thing which is making me uneasy is the Berserking troll racial, can anybody clarify how much of a dps loss switching from troll to belf is, both for 5.3 and indeed 5.4.

Regards
    While Shadowcraft does give you some simple numbers for racials, there's honestly more to it.

On paper, the troll racial only gives about 2-3k dps in T16 gear. On a patchwerk style boss, it's about on par with Pandaren 100% bonus from food buffs, Worgen 1% crit, and Orc Bloodfury. However, Orc and Troll racials are quite honestly stronger for two reasons. 1) Ability to CD stack with class based dps CDs and 2) Ability to frontload damage for certain burst phases. What exactly do I mean by this?

1) CD stacking:
    Berserking and Bloodfury are 3 minute and 2 minute long cooldowns respectively. This means that Berserking lines up perfectly with Shadow Blades, while Bloodfury lines up perfectly with Vendetta. Shadow Blades and Vedetta damage effectively become much stronger with some simple macro usage. Using Shadow Blades as a Troll Rogue effectively grants you 20% Haste for most of the duration of SB. Using Vendetta on an Orc effectively grants you a decent chunk of AP for a short duration. The bottom line? The class based cooldowns for Troll and Orcs become much stronger when compared to other races.

2) Frontloading damage:
    Most fights now a days are not patchwerk. Yes, you still need good dps to beat many encounters, but it's often about WHEN you need the dps as opposed to ALWAYS needing the dps. Between phase transitions, intermissions, and mechanics, a person just cannot always be on the boss. What does this mean? On use dps racials are much more valuable than passive or useless racials since they help to frontload your dps for the portions of a fight that need it the most.

The Bottom Line:

If you're not concerned pushing either World or Regional rankings for progression, I wouldn't worry about racials. However, if you're a Horde player who does care about helping your guild with progression and are not a Troll, Orc, or maybe Pandaren, I honestly think you're making a mistake. In my personal opinion, I do hope they nerf Troll's Berseking and Orc's Bloodfury next expansion. They apparently came very close to do doing so for 5.4 and T16 but decided against it for some reason.

It will be beast on the two beast bosses in SoO! 5% is huge + the haste cd.

Edit: thought there were 2 beasts ? scorp thingie and the drake? i might be wrong :P
    Last edited by wrynil; 2013-09-09 at 02:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wrynil View Post
    It will be beast on the two beast bosses in SoO! 5% is huge + the haste cd.

Edit: thought there were 2 beasts ? scorp thingie and the drake? i might be wrong :P
    The only Beasts is SoO are Throk, the giant tyrannasaur, and the dire wolf mounts on the Dark Shaman fight. The first instance is a pretty straight foward boss midway through the raid. The latter example is near negligable. The Dire Wolves die in about 30 seconds max from cleave. The Scorpion boss is Iron Juggetnaught, which is mechanical. Galakros is more of an add fight involving a lot of humanoids at the start with Galakros being a dragonkin type boss that comes down at the end.

So no, Beastslaying will not be too useful for this tier, but it will still be the best go to for one boss.

Troll is generally the best race. Not only does it sim the highest, but as Vigilate mentioned, on-demand damage is generally more useful than passive damage. You can use Berserking on cooldown and out-perform Worgen/Orc/Pandaren on Patchwerk fights (especially when stacking it with CDs like Shadow Blades and Synapse Springs), or you can save it for high-priority targets.

Edit: That said, even if you were to change to Human (no real DPS increase as Mut), the DPS difference in the fight is less of a swing than you'll see with moderate RPPM luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Kulestu View Post
    Edit: That said, even if you were to change to Human (no real DPS increase as Mut), the DPS difference in the fight is less of a swing than you'll see with moderate RPPM luck.
    Kulestu bring up a very valid point. RRPM luck honestly casuses jarring differences in dps due to luck. There's nothing like doing 270k dps on Raden one week as Assassination and doing 220k the next because you had dirt for trinket procs.

However, as with all debates regarding theorycraft, a Troll will on average beat out most everything else assuming all other variable are the same. There's just no way to argue that. Pandas might come close, but refer to my first post in the thread as to why that's not the case.

My main point was that it's largely trivial. Unless you're in a heroic progression guild, you should pick what you like best.

Remeber that in patch 5.4 u can only line up Orc and Troll Racial on The Pull becose of new Trinket AoC that Reduce your CD on Shadow Blades , Vendetta and Adrenaline Rush so IMO in 5.4

For Horde best is Panda

but anyway Troll beats Blood Elf

Quote Originally Posted by Kequ View Post
    Remeber that in patch 5.4 u can only line up Orc and Troll Racial on The Pull becose of new Trinket AoC that Reduce your CD on Shadow Blades , Vendetta and Adrenaline Rush so IMO in 5.4

For Horde best is Panda

but anyway Troll beats Blood Elf
    We won't be using AoC as assassination (unless cooldown modeling instead of average modeling will tell us otherwise, but that's what we currently have in our hands) and as combat we were never able to really predict when we could line them up.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760