Weird behavior in new month old system

Randomly my mouse will start acting weird, like not being accurate when just web browsing then several seconds later my computer will freeze. Nothing I do on the keyboard will do anything. The LEDs on the keyboard will no longer work and the mouse will no longer work. I don't get BSOD or anything its just frozen. Wondering how to start to troubleshoot this. All I can do is manually reset and then things are fine. This happens every couple days.

MB - z87-A
    CPU haswell 4670k running at base settings
    nvidia 760 video card
    OS - Windows 8

What should I do?

I ran LinX for a couple hours and everything was fine.

Scarab Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Locate your system drivers from the manufacturers website rather than the disks provided. Just start by updating the drivers. After that check all your fans and make sure your temperatures are good. Since its a month old system, when you installed the CPU did you put thermal paste on prior to installing the heat sink?

But if this is a store bought PC return it while its in its return policy.

This problem may be related to my video card. It just happened again, but this time my computer screen went black for a second and when it came back I got this error message coming from my taskbar:

Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 320.49 stopped responding and has successfully recovered

Any ideas? Is this a bad video card?

Quote Originally Posted by Bayou Billy View Post
    This problem may be related to my video card. It just happened again, but this time my computer screen went black for a second and when it came back I got this error message coming from my taskbar:

Display driver NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 320.49 stopped responding and has successfully recovered

Any ideas? Is this a bad video card?
    There's a lot of possible reasons for that error. It could be a software problem or a defective GPU. If you can exchange the card still without too much hassle, I'd say start with that to rule out a possible hardware defect. If not, then poke around on the web. Sometimes, uninstalling the driver completely and re-installing it helps (there's guides online on how to do that).

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Bayou Billy View Post
    Randomly my mouse will start acting weird, like not being accurate when just web browsing then several seconds later my computer will freeze. Nothing I do on the keyboard will do anything. The LEDs on the keyboard will no longer work and the mouse will no longer work. I don't get BSOD or anything its just frozen. Wondering how to start to troubleshoot this. All I can do is manually reset and then things are fine. This happens every couple days.

MB - z87-A
    CPU haswell 4670k running at base settings
    nvidia 760 video card
    OS - Windows 8

What should I do?

I ran LinX for a couple hours and everything was fine.
    Is your computer fully custom or is it a "brand" computer. And if so what brand?

EDIT: I'll give you a spoiler now, in case you can't stay booted long enough to write a response.

How big is your power supply? It almost sounds like a power supply deficiency.
    Last edited by Gheld; 2013-09-07 at 03:38 PM.

I actually had the exact same problem about 4 months back. I believe the ultimate fix for me was switching from firefox to chrome. I have no idea why this fixed it but I haven't had it happen since.

I only use chrome. This is a fully custom brand. The power supply is 450W. I'm blaming the graphics card/drivers at this point because of that kernel error. I upgraded to the latest beta drivers and will see if this happens again. If it does I will replace the video card. I'll update here as to what happens.