Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    Especially considering that GKN is a British aerospace manufacturer.
    Yeah this whole "Blame the USA" thing is getting out of control.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by ComputerNerd View Post
    If the US is able to dictate the policy in your country, then it because you have a weak government.
    It is not the fault of the USA or anyone else but your own politicians.
    We aren't even dictating it. They're doing it all on their own. Apparently blaming the USA is just the cool thing to do these days.
    Last edited by Rukentuts; 2013-09-06 at 06:22 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    If any portion of the class contains information or technology sourced from the US and it deamed to fall under ITAR restrictions, the US can dictate to the company or country that uses it how it may be used. That is a long standing reality and we are not the only country to do it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mooneye View Post
    http://www.thelocal.se/50086/20130905/

So, anyone that thinks USA shold be able to dictate who can get in at a school/programme/firm in another country than their own? This seems to be slightly retarded. Ok, more than slightly - it's very retarded.
    What's being dictated is whether the student can have a work placement in a specific Aerospace firm, and either it's British regulations that are causing it (as GKN Aerospace is a UK company), or their multinational status and offices in the US require them to abide by US regulations as well.

Either way, yes, the Swedish educational system should not have the authority to overrule international trade and employment regulations. The same thing happens all the time in other venues.

Because let's be clear; GKN Aerospace is a military aviations tech supplier. It's not like he was denied a position at Dunder-Mifflin Paper or something.

wouldnt it be racism to deny someone something, purely based on where they were born?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mitbrandir View Post
    wouldnt it be racism to deny someone something, purely based on where they were born?
    Technically it would be something like natalism.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Technically it would be something like natalism.
    But when it comes to national security I can see why the DOD probably doesn't hire many Iranians.

Quote Originally Posted by Meme Arrows to green text View Post
    So you don't see a problem with the US preventing a kid in sweden from getting an education
    Except the US isn't. A company wants to do business with/in the US is refusing to accept a student to abide by US regulations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrandir View Post
    My starfall brings all the mobs to the yard.
    Laurellen - Druid Smiteyou - lol holy dps

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mitbrandir View Post
    Only if you were making the decision based on ethnic group, rather than (as in this case) birth citizenship in a formerly hostile nation (and if he emigrated 13 years ago, his family left while it was still under Hussein).

Deleted
    I sense quite some double standards here now.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, that's actually just the smell of bullshit emanating from the original post.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

I sense misunderstandings on what is actually going on.

No, that's actually just the smell of bullshit emanating from the original post.
    That too.

I don't see why a firm that does business (and wants to) with the USA having to abide by US trade regulations when doing business in the USA is inflammatory.

But this grasping at straws in order to blame the USA is hilarious.

How? It's a company not the US that is making this decision.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elrandir View Post
    My starfall brings all the mobs to the yard.
    Laurellen - Druid Smiteyou - lol holy dps

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by gamingmuscle View Post
    How? It's a company not the US that is making this decision.
    No, but they adhere to the US regulations and as such discriminate against someone based on his ethnicity.

No, but they adhere to the US regulations and as such discriminate against someone based on his ethnicity.
    Because they do business with the USA.

This is basic industry knowledge.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Because they do business with the USA.
    So it's totally okay to discriminate because it's the USA you're dealing with. Got it.

10+ Year Old Account
    No, they discriminate against someone because he's a security risk, and they're a militiary aviations supplier.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    No, they discriminate against someone because he's a security risk, and they're a militiary aviations supplier.
    How do they know he's a security risk?

10+ Year Old Account
    So it's totally okay to discriminate because it's the USA you're dealing with. Got it.
    Nobody has made a value judgment over whether or not it is 'ok' to discriminate.

What is being contested is your blaming of the US for this rather than the British company operating in Sweden who chooses to abide by US regulations.

So military firms should hire workers from hostile nations?

What kind of logic is this?

Deleted
    What is being contested is your blaming of the US for this rather than the British company operating in Sweden who chooses to abide by US regulations.
    I'm blaming the US for having such regulations in the first place that are discriminatory.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    So military firms should hire workers from hostile nations?

What kind of logic is this?
    Because everyone from x country is hostile towards USA, paranoia?