Poll: What is your Sub Loss Prediction?

Page 13 of 41 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by But I Hate You All View Post
    The new event seems to be as much content as 5.3 barrens
    I'm already bored with the Pointless Isle.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    Same...Well Hope SoO can hold people

And it shall go down in history as that... well to be fair apparently there is a minior quest chain there, which should at least be worth twice as much as the unbearable "go to the barrens and collect resources" weekly quest.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    And it shall go down in history as that... well to be fair apparently there is a minior quest chain there, which should at least be worth twice as much as the unbearable "go to the barrens and collect resources" weekly quest.
    yea as I said hopefully SoO can hold people

10+ Year Old Account
    I should hope so. Even six months may cause damage.

6 months is gonna be ROUGH especially without valor vendor for some kinda of longer term casual progression. Especially when the island pays out better than lfr (apparently). Of all the stupid fucking times to get rid of the god damn vendor.... Lots of other titles coming out this holiday season (new GTA, new battlefield) as well as new consoles. Maybe I cancel my sub now and put that money towards a new console? mmmmmmm lots of things to pull people away.. i hope the chill is felt in California because WINTER IS COMING (i couldn't help myself)

- - - Updated - - -

yea as I said hopefully SoO can hold people
    Msv/HoF/ToES/ToT all did a wonderful job of that...
    Last edited by Glorious Leader; 2013-09-11 at 03:01 PM.
    The hammer comes down:
    Normal should be reduced in difficulty. Heroic should be reduced in difficulty.
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    6 months is gonna be ROUGH especially without valor vendor for some kinda of longer term casual progression. Especially when the island pays out better than lfr (apparently). Of all the stupid fucking times to get rid of the god damn vendor.... Lots of other titles coming out this holiday season (new GTA, new battlefield) as well as new consoles. Maybe I cancel my sub now and put that money towards a new console? mmmmmmm lots of things to pull people away.. i hope the chill is felt in California because WINTER IS COMING (i couldn't help myself)

- - - Updated - - -

Msv/HoF/ToES/ToT all did a wonderful job of that...

Ya the titles are going do Damage. To be fair Msv/HoF/ToES/ToT Came with a ton of content to do besides the raid

10+ Year Old Account
    Ya the titles are going do Damage. To be fair Msv/HoF/ToES/ToT Came with a ton of content to do besides the raid
    And even that wasn't enough. Tell me is timeless isle on par with isle of thunder? or launch content? All the content that came with the raid offered little character progression. What it did offer was terrible grind and not altogether enjoyable.
    The hammer comes down:
    And the tiny fraction for whom heroic raids are currently well tuned? Too bad,so sad! With the arterial bleed of subs the fastest it's ever been, the vanity development that gives you guys your own content is no longer supportable.

Quote Originally Posted by Karizee View Post
    Wrong. There's actually more people playing now than at launch.
    If you would like I can post at least 12 sources that we can measure and look at that show about a 80% drop (at the very least), including NCSoft sales, sPvP population in-game and server population data. Let me know if you want to see actual data and not some "pictures" which prove nothing.

10+ Year Old Account
    And even that wasn't enough. Tell me is timeless isle on par with isle of thunder? or launch content? All the content that came with the raid offered little character progression. What it did offer was terrible grind and not altogether enjoyable.
    The timeless isle is on par with the 5.3 Barrens nothing more.

10+ Year Old Account
    The timeless isle is on par with the 5.3 Barrens nothing more.
    uggh oy vey 6 months of that? I thought they said they were gonna ramp it up to be bigger and more expansive.
    The hammer comes down:

10+ Year Old Account
    uggh oy vey 6 months of that? I thought they said they were gonna ramp it up to be bigger and more expansive.
    They say alot of things. But we have Timeless isle and SoO till the next patch

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    This thread is of Epicness:

- First off, the Title is Negative-LITERALLY
    - Second, Jaylock bro, Nah-Dood. Naw
    - Third, WoW is the most polished MMO in History, has made more world headlines, and more money than any mmo we will EVER see in the history of EVER.

Get over the fact that Sub Loss is always going to happen with an CIRCA 9 year old game (WOW RELEASED WITH HALO2?!?!?) - Get over it already

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dacoolist View Post
    This thread is of Epicness:

- First off, the Title is Negative-LITERALLY
    - Second, Jaylock bro, Nah-Dood. Naw
    - Third, WoW is the most polished MMO in History, has made more world headlines, and more money than any mmo we will EVER see in the history of EVER.

Get over the fact that Sub Loss is always going to happen with an CIRCA 9 year old game (WOW RELEASED WITH HALO2?!?!?) - Get over it already

Most polished is a matter of opinion....I think quite a few other mmo's are more polished. Can't really compare Wow to halo 2 since they are two different types of games. As for the 9 yr old myth "9 year old game really means nothing. Mop is a year old...wow today and wow in 2004 are two different things. The 9 yr old game argument would work if they never dated it. So let me ask this How was the game gaining subs when it was a 1 -6 year old game and did not start losing more subs than it was gaining till Cataclysm? "All of a sudden oh shit the game is 7 years old it starts losing subs" Of course this has nothing to do with Blizzards actions"

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sukhoi View Post
    Who cares? These threads always come up and nothing changes
    Well lots of things change to keep the subs in game. See lfr

Let's not forget they pushed back cr. I know several people that have taken the free seven days, seen that their server is still dead and said screw this game. People on the larger servers are getting to enjoy long ques and lag island. They have done a terrible job at server population for both ends.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert3620 View Post
    Let's not forget they pushed back cr. I know several people that have taken the free seven days, seen that their server is still dead and said screw this game. People on the larger servers are getting to enjoy long ques and lag island. They have done a terrible job at server population for both ends.
    Well that too. I don't see the 5.4 holding people that long

Final patch usually brings with it an influx of players who left a month after launch of the expansion.

Players get to play at the beginning doing all the quest zones. leave, and come back to fill in what they missed, then leave again until the next expansion. This type of wow players plays a total of 3-4 months out of each expansion, and yet gets to experience (especially now with lfr) almost the entire content (the exception being battlefield barrens this time).

If you like the game, but you are not totally addicted to it as a way of life, then this sub model works for most people.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Lbgr View Post
    Final patch usually brings with it an influx of players who left a month after launch of the expansion.

Players get to play at the beginning doing all the quest zones. leave, and come back to fill in what they missed, then leave again until the next expansion. This type of wow players plays a total of 3-4 months out of each expansion, and yet gets to experience (especially now with lfr) almost the entire content (the exception being battlefield barrens this time).

If you like the game, but you are not totally addicted to it as a way of life, then this sub model works for most people.
    true...Real question is how long will be have SoO for ? New xpac would have to hit beta soon

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    The sooner wow dies the sooner blizzard or some other dev company comes up with a good mmo and fresh ideas for a change. Can't wait for this thing to die.
    And if Wow finally does die without something innovative coming out, mmos could very well be at risk as a genre because many companies would be even less willing to take risks. As much as you haters deny it, Blizzard and Wow is what has made this genre as successful as it is. Wishing for Wow and Blizzard to fail simply because you have moved on is idiotic, childish and vindictive and quite frankly absolutely disgusting.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pantelija View Post
    Blizzard will never admit the real sub loses, what we see getting released every few months is just damage control
    Yeah, no. Thanks to people like Bernie Madoff things like lying to shareholders is a federal felony. No one at Blizzard is risking jail time not to mention putting the entire company at risk with SEC investigations just to pump up the numbers.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post
    There are a LOT of flaws with this popular logic from an actual business perspective.

For starters: businesses focus more intensely on X game (this actually doesn't apply as much to Blizzard but let's pretend it does) when it does well. World of Warcraft is making Blizzard far more money than any other game they have ever produced. Now, let's pretend subscriptions decrease at a parabolic rate matching the current situation, giving the game a long remaining life span but smaller and smaller profit margins. The correct business decision in this case for Blizzard is still to focus on World of Warcraft for the considerable future. Why? It generates astronomically more money than every other franchise they have (probably combined) in such a way that further funding for World of Warcraft is STILL the best Return On Investment possible for their profits.

Well, technically, if Blizzard was mega concerned with profits, they'd probably just release Vanilla servers and simultaneously launch a shit version of "WoW2" and rake in millions, but they have limits as to how far they will milk their products.

Anyway, I'm not even a business major and I can see why "sub counts = development" would be one of the worst business strategies possible when the game in question is still generating metric buttloads of cash.
    And Blizzard has already proven subscription numbers have nothing to do with their development plans. They already said they expect heavy subscription losses from here on out at one of the previous shareholders meetings and yet they plan to increase the Wow team by 40% and plan to release content even faster. If anything fewer subscribers is going to get us more content not less. It is just typical hater logic to claim they are "concerned" that Blizzard may stop supporting the game when in reality they are obsessed with subscription numbers solely because they can't wait for the game to die and dance on its grave.

The simple fact of the matter is Wow is wildly successful and profitable even despite losing subscribers and other issues and the shareholders know and realize this which is why they aren't basing their decision to stick with ATVI on subscription numbers alone. Yes it is an important piece of information but only part of a whole and what is more important is how Blizzard handles subscription loss and finding ways to keep Wow and their other products viable long term and THAT is what is most important to the shareholders.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    I personally say at lease 600k but at most 1.2million.

- - - Updated - - -

If you mean F2p wow in china and no where else there will be a major shit storm in EU/US if China go's f2p and it dose not anywhere else.

Many people will be pissed they got to pay while china gets it for free and I personally would find that to be a shitty move on blizzards part. A big smack in the face to all EU/US players with them saying "Because we get more money from you you must pay"
    Sorry but no. Didn't you learn from your bullshit thread when you tried to stir up trouble? Honestly most people who play Wow wouldn't give a fuck if other regions had a free to play model. It has no effect on the game or on our region. It is a non issue despite you continually trying to make it one. Give it up already.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pantelija View Post
    Milions of people suffering from paranoia or Blizzard lying and you choose Blizzard lying?

Seems legit
    Do you or anyone else making these idiotic claims have proof Blizzard is lying? In this atmosphere of corporate whistleblowing do you seriously think Blizzard or any other company would be able to get away with lying about something like this for this many years? Seriously?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    I play and care about the amount of subs.

That would be the option of not clicking on the thread.
    This is such an ignorant response but honestly not surprising coming from you. I know this may be hard to comprehend but people are fully capable of not caring about subscription numbers and still participate in discussions about them. Maybe you should not click posts if you are unable to understand what is being said?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by championknight View Post
    One can see if the sub loss is affecting you by looking at the activity on your server. The server I am on has already taken a lot of hits during Cata and its now only medium-high, with much fewer fun runs for old content being started

Virtual realms may be too little too late for servers on the brink of population collapse
    And yet a significant number of subscription losses have come from other regions and not NA/EU. The problem with NA/EU realms isn't that we have too many realms and not enough players but the fact that we have far too many people on a few realms and everyone else is spread thinly out among other realms. Then there is the fact there are so many realms with massive faction imbalances which basically causes the underrepresented faction on a high pop realm to have a low pop realm experience. Yes subscription loss plays a part in this as well but not nearly to the extent many players claim.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by tenzing21 View Post
    Although I enjoy your enthusiasm, Wow hasn't had over 7 million subs since mid/late BC; worldwide, there are 1.2 or so million subs. They only sold 7.5 or so million panda disks, and they have nowhere near 100% retention rate, more like 15%.
    They would have sold more expansions if all regions had to buy them. Basically most active NA/EU accounts bought Mop which is amazing for a game as old as Wow. It's hilarious how you tried to spin the numbers but only succeeded in shooting yourself in the foot.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hrugner View Post
    We could take it as an allusion to the lack of importance of subs to income. Companies that work off of the free to play system tend to survive by harvesting a handful of dedicated players, so for all we know WoW is making up for sub losses by selling more transfers, recustomizations and hats. WoW isn't free to play, but their cash shop has a decent selection of the sorts of items you see in ftp games. But yeah, pretty of topic I guess.
    I'm sorry but the bulk of profits in subscription based games comes from actual subscriptions. If any other model was more profitable Blizzard would have switched over to it long ago and if transfers resulted in any sort of significant profits they certainly wouldn't be actively working to make them obsolete.
    Last edited by xanzul; 2013-09-14 at 04:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    This is such an ignorant response but honestly not surprising coming from you. I know this may be hard to comprehend but people are fully capable of not caring about subscription numbers and still participate in discussions about them. Maybe you should not click posts if you are unable to understand what is being said?
    What is ignorant about my post? It was in response to the question of "Who, that still plays WoW cares about sub losses or gains?" which I answered that I play and care.

The second part was in response to "An option to vote 'Who gives a stuff' would be nice in the vote." why would you need to vote if you do not care? Why do you need to let others know that you do not care? Why would anyone care that you do not care? Surely those that actually do not care about the content of the thread or the poll would not click on it? I can understand being involved in a discussion in real life, where you do not always have control about what is being discussed, about a subject that you do not care for but you have to actively click the topic and then post it on a forum. Obviously those who partake in such a discussion do care despite what they claim.

Anyway there is no need for you to get upset or angry I was not calling Blizzard a poo poo head or anything.

Besides the summer and other things people are forgetting we will see how many quit because of the Cash shop and xmog helms stuff as well this q3
    One little problem with that: most people who play Wow outside of these forums don't give a fuck about the politics of what goes on here or what other people are wearing or doing. If they are still having fun, they keep playing. They aren't quitting because they are butthurt over how someone else spent their own money.

- - - Updated - - -

Neither. I am saying that will have a effect on sub numbers, since some of the people unsubed pissed about that.

It just a small factor.
    People quit over literally anything and everything. I have seen people quit because they couldn't disable account wide mounts. Does that mean account wide mounts are bad or does that mean some gamers are control freaks and should probably seek professional help?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Awe View Post
    As the matter of fact he is the minority. But not the minority which you imply. To extend on that you are also in the minority. We all are. As much as MMO is a popular genre, still the majority of gamers sh***s left and right on it. Its nerds like us who play WoW, GW2, FF14 or any other similar game who are in minority. The majority of sane people thinks more or less that MMO-s are a cancer for gaming and even though I cant side with them (as I am addicted to the genre), I cant deny that they have some sort of a valid point.
    Actually most gamers I have met outside of forum communities tend not to be nearly as judgmental or narrow minded or arrogant to think they have any right to decide for others whether any genre of gaming is a "cancer". I think too many who post on these forums and the official forums are completely out of touch with reality and what real gamers actually think. I keep hearing people claim there is a disconnect between Blizzard and the players but the real disconnect is between the players themselves and some of the worst of it occurs on these very forums and even in this thread.