Poll: What is your Sub Loss Prediction?

Page 14 of 41 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pann View Post
    What is ignorant about my post? It was in response to the question of "Who, that still plays WoW cares about sub losses or gains?" which I answered that I play and care.

The second part was in response to "An option to vote 'Who gives a stuff' would be nice in the vote." why would you need to vote if you do not care? Why do you need to let others know that you do not care? Why would anyone care that you do not care? Surely those that actually do not care about the content of the thread or the poll would not click on it? I can understand being involved in a discussion in real life, where you do not always have control about what is being discussed, about a subject that you do not care for but you have to actively click the topic and then post it on a forum. Obviously those who partake in such a discussion do care despite what they claim.

Anyway there is no need for you to get upset or angry I was not calling Blizzard a poo poo head or anything.

He tends to think you can only say positive stuff about blizzard and praise them if you don't he get pretty upset hence why he is on my ignore

10+ Year Old Account
    I would be quite surprised to see a huuuuge sub loss. I logged onto my trial account the other day and things seemed quite busy - still many "high" and "medium" servers.

Quote Originally Posted by But I Hate You All View Post
    Well they lost almost 50% the player base they once had.
    In all honesty, as more players have been quitting the Wow community has been improving significantly and I'm referring to people who actually subscribe and actually play the game not those who hang around these forums just so they can endlessly bitch about a game they no longer play. As far as I'm concerned keep the losses coming.

10+ Year Old Account
    THEY'RE GONNA LOSE ALL THE SUBS!

Am I doing right?

Anyone?

9 year old game really means nothing. Mop is a year old...wow today and wow in 2004 are two different things. The 9 yr old game argument would work if they never dated it. So let me ask this How was the game gaining subs when it was a 1 -6 year old game and did not start losing more subs than it was gaining till Cataclysm? "All of a sudden oh shit the game is 7 years old it starts losing subs" Of course this has nothing to do with Blizzards actions
    Video games tend to become less popular as they age and this is especially true of mmos. Or do you think all mmos gain subscribers infinitely and it is only wow that doesn't? If you are going to talk about Wow subscriber loss and claim age isn't a factor then you need to show this isn't the case for other mmos that are around the same age. wow doesn't exist in a vacuum.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chadashcroft22 View Post
    Inb4 f2p announcement at blizzcon. How much more do you let the ship sink before trying to cash out?

And people saying that it doesn't affect them when subs drop. Really? My server in vanilla was thriving and you couldn't move a couple feet without running into people in orgrimmar. Now it's pretty much a ghost town with a few people here and there. You can really only pve and pvp because they linked up servers but there is no more community or "life" left in a lot of these servers. Do you like going into nightclubs with only 2 or 3 people in the place or do you like it when it's filled up?

And to the people that think this patch will bring back players. Rofl you got to be trolling. They will be lucky if the next xpac will gain them more than they lose in subs.
    If Blizzard were "cashing out" they wouldn't be hiring significantly more developers and artists and they certainly wouldn't increase the rate of content releases either. Wow is doing just fine despite subscriber losses.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Destil View Post
    Sigh.

Posts like this just..

I can't.

I really just can't.

I wish threads about subs just weren't allowed here.
    Sadly the mods justify these threads by saying players would just spam the forums with them anyway. Sometimes I wonder if they even understand their role here as moderators. It is rather funny since they will close just about any other type of thread for little to no reason but the second a thread pops up about subscription numbers (this one is a good example considering the call won't be for nearly another TWO MONTHS and the OP is well known for making threads to cause flamewars) and all of a sudden they forget they have a lock button and act all helpless about the situation.

- - - Updated - - -

Wow did not even start seeing sub loses till Cataclysm at that point the game was 7 year old. The game did not just start losing more subs than it was gaining solely because of the games age, design decisions and the dev's being out of touch with thier player base would seem more probable. Lets face it most people say nothing but negative things about Cataclysm, when people gave feedback to the Devs at the start of cata they were told to suck it up. Once they started losing subs they fixed the design more towards what players wanted. Mop people say negative and good things bu the overall thing you hear is it was meh, did not fit in to the wow universe, did not feel right, ZOMFG PANDAS!!!!, The issues with Dailies and other grinds.

Personally I think the reason subs are still being lost is because we have had two piss poor Expansions where the dev's seem out of touch with what the players really want and they try to fix it when it's too late.
    Stop with the revisionist history. TBC was heavily derided for retconned spacegoats and space ships and blood elfs and many, many other things. People have complained about this game for its entire run and to pretend people didn't have issues with the game until Cata is a flat out bold faced lie. I love how you people insist pandas don't fit wow and yet for some reason space ships crash landing on Azeroth is a-ok.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Himora View Post
    You honestly think a new isle full of more grind and grind and grind is making casuals happy? i dont think so.
    Wow is an mmo. If you want a grind free game you are playing the wrong genre of game.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh yea if SoO is like Ds or ICC and around for a year they will lose tons
    Highly doubtful since Wow has more developers than ever with more to come plus they still have extra help from those who were shifted over from Titan. There is no way in hell Siege is going to last much more than 6 months.

The Undying Slowpoke is a Gamer's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say 500-700k down because it was an off quarter. We'll likely see the rate of decline start to slow in Q4 2013 as hype begins to build leading up to and following the announcement of Expansion V. We'll likely see a bump for Q1/2 2014 depending on what comes out of Blizzcon.

If it's true revenue is down 54% for the last 7 months, I'd say expect sub losses to air toward the 700k rather than the 500k.
    FFXIV - Maduin (Dynamis DC)

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    If anything, Blizzard will be less shielded from Activision than it was before, as Vivendi will no longer control the board.
    Activision has no reason to mess with Blizzard Entertainment as they are quite capable of turning a profit on their own without intervention. Kotick didn't get to where he is by making games less profitable and messing with Blizzard would do exactly just that.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    You mean, Kotick will be more free to tell Blizzard what to do.
    Possibly but not until he gets ATVI's company bylaws changed which prevent him from controlling any aspect of Blizzard Entertainment's management. The thing is though he has no reason to do so as Blizzard Entertainment is a company known to succeed on its own without being micromanaged. If Kotick is as greedy as people claim then he would know better than to do anything that might put Blizzard's profitability at risk.

Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Sadly the mods justify these threads by saying players would just spam the forums with them anyway. Sometimes I wonder if they even understand their role here as moderators. It is rather funny since they will close just about any other type of thread for little to no reason but the second a thread pops up about subscription numbers (this one is a good example considering the call won't be for nearly another TWO MONTHS and the OP is well known for making threads to cause flamewars) and all of a sudden they forget they have a lock button and act all helpless about the situation.
    I can only suggest that since you have such a problem with the moderation and topics discussed here that you find another site that is more catered towards your needs.

Stop with the revisionist history. TBC was heavily derided for retconned spacegoats and space ships and blood elfs and many, many other things. People have complained about this game for its entire run and to pretend people didn't have issues with the game until Cata is a flat out bold faced lie. I love how you people insist pandas don't fit wow and yet for some reason space ships crash landing on Azeroth is a-ok.
    Your post has very little to do with the post you are replying to. Are you seriously suggesting that there have been no complaints about the Pandaren not fitting in the WOW universe? Whilst there were complaints in TBC about "space goats" it is largely irrelevant as there was not overall sub losses at the time.

By the way the poster you keep quoting has you on ignore so your message will not get through to them.

Wow is an mmo. If you want a grind free game you are playing the wrong genre of game.
    I think Blizzard would like to keep as many players as possible and telling some of them that the genre is not for them is not really a viable financial option.

- - - Updated - - -

Activision has no reason to mess with Blizzard Entertainment as they are quite capable of turning a profit on their own without intervention. Kotick didn't get to where he is by making games less profitable and messing with Blizzard would do exactly just that.
    I would think that seven figure sub losses for three years in a row is reason enough for Kotick to consider intervention.

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    Well Blizz doesnt do math like the rest of us. Like when something will be release on August 28. it really means Sept. 10.

And how do they get 1 month content cycles from only a 40% workforce increase? In reality they would need a 400% worker increase to get down to 1 month cycles.
    Perhaps because they had already increased their development team prior to announcing more hirings and determined their changes in regards to streamlining development would allow for optimal use of more employees? Just a thought. Blizzard tends to never give specifics on anything of this nature so the fact they did pretty much means its a done deal.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Darsithis View Post
    It is something to discuss.

Unlike some, though, I don't see it as a bad thing but an inevitable thing. WoW couldn't keep up a high sub count forever. There was eventually going to be a drop.
    Yes it is something to discuss when the meeting actually happens...which won't be happening for TWO MONTHS.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by warcraftmew View Post
    most of the subs are prolly pvpers since we dnt see any love or fixes inthe game its PVEand MOney>all mentality for blizzard thats all they care about pvpers are treated as undervalued customers in 8 years we have had to major things in pvp arena back in TBC and rated bg's in CATA dnt give me the new arena skins and bg's most of them are just rehashed anyway
    Perhaps it has something to do with the fact no matter what Blizzard does, pvpers are never ever happy. In fact a huge portion of development time for 5.3 was dedicated solely to pvp and the end result was yet more bitching and whining and moaning.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Slacker76 View Post
    Educated guess, i pulled my number from the same dark place that the dev pulled his number.
    We're on like a 4-3 month cycle between content patches. Granted all manpower isn't equal. On what premise does increasing manpower by only 40% correlate into one month patch cycles? IF they were really committed to 1 month content cycle they would need to triple or quadruple workflow based on the length of their current cycle.

Unless Blizz considers 1-2 new battle pets a month to be new "content". They got me there.
    The numbers quoted in the developer interviews were based on actual real numbers given to them by other Blizzard employees whereas you assume everyone at Blizzard lies about everything. Sorry but I will take their word over yours.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Glorious Leader View Post
    And even that wasn't enough. Tell me is timeless isle on par with isle of thunder? or launch content? All the content that came with the raid offered little character progression. What it did offer was terrible grind and not altogether enjoyable.
    Maybe just maybe there would be more to do on Timeless Isle if the QQers didn't raise holy hell any time anyone at Blizzard said the word daily. And if people want an alternative to dailies maybe they should start explaining what they want because we are just going to keep getting more stuff like Timeless isle otherwise.

- - - Updated - - -

The timeless isle is on par with the 5.3 Barrens nothing more.
    So basically you haven't been there. Got it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Robert3620 View Post
    Let's not forget they pushed back cr. I know several people that have taken the free seven days, seen that their server is still dead and said screw this game. People on the larger servers are getting to enjoy long ques and lag island. They have done a terrible job at server population for both ends.
    They didn't push anything back. In fact when they first announced connected realms (virtual realms) they even said it wouldn't go live immediately upon 5.4 launching. The patch hasn't even been out a week and they have already decided on the first realms they are going to merge so I can't imagine they are going to put it off much longer. Most likely what they are doing now is waiting for realm populations to become stable since new patches always cause population spikes. It would have been incredibly stupid to implement connected realms on the same day as a major raid patch.

- - - Updated - - -

Well that too. I don't see the 5.4 holding people that long
    And why is that? It will hold people for as long as 5.2, 5.0, 4.3 and every other raid patch to date did and NONE of those had flex raiding. It is funny how people are continually trying to downplay the content in this patch. It is so obvious it has the haters scrambling to find things to bitch about since so many player concerns were addressed in this patch.

- - - Updated - - -

true...Real question is how long will be have SoO for ? New xpac would have to hit beta soon
    The absolute latest the beta will start is January. Considering the timing of Blizzcon and how close it is to the holidays it may be tricky for them to start the beta any earlier than that but they could still surprise us.

10+ Year Old Account
    This thread was destined for funny things...

It has succeeded

-topic answer- I'm not an analyst but I would assume just average the two previous quarters out, take into consideration non game content related sub losses, and there you go. At least...for a rough estimate. But they could have gained some since tuesday when 5.4 hit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vampz View Post
    inb4 "flying is a major part of the reason I have fun in wow!"
    Buy a fucking flight sim then

Lots of people I know came back for 5.4 so I'm a little reluctant to believe that it would be more than 400k loss but it defiantly isnt a gain :P

And if Wow finally does die without something innovative coming out, mmos could very well be at risk as a genre because many companies would be even less willing to take risks. As much as you haters deny it, Blizzard and Wow is what has made this genre as successful as it is. Wishing for Wow and Blizzard to fail simply because you have moved on is idiotic, childish and vindictive and quite frankly absolutely disgusting.

-snip-
    He's not a soulless hatemonger, he just wants the mmo genre to progress. I believe it is with the variety of new mmos available and coming soon. Yes, Blizzard did help popularize the mmo genre with its excellent polish and accessibility but every king's reign comes to an end. The tides have changed and though WoW will still be around for many years to come, it looks like it's long standing monopoly of the genre will slowly dissipate.

Wanting something to fail so improvements are made isn't a bad thing. Hell, we just saw with the massive amount of backlash towards the XBox One that people can cause significant change even to a multi billion dollar company. A lot of times failure is the only way customers will see improvements from companies and their products.

And why is that? It will hold people for as long as 5.2, 5.0, 4.3 and every other raid patch to date did and NONE of those had flex raiding. It is funny how people are continually trying to downplay the content in this patch. It is so obvious it has the haters scrambling to find things to bitch about since so many player concerns were addressed in this patch.
    Um, I'm not quite sure of your point here. Aside from 5.0 which was the start of the MoP expansion, 4.3 and 5.2 patches lost a massive amount of subs. In fact the quarter in which 5.2's ToT released was the 1.2 million sub drop which was the worst in the franchises history. I think it is a good patch but I doubt it will stop the bleeding.
    Last edited by Fagatronics; 2013-09-14 at 06:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille View Post
    You're full of shit honey.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler
    You should have no expectations for the next expansion IMO...

Quote Originally Posted by orangelemonrain View Post
    Lots of people I know came back for 5.4 so I'm a little reluctant to believe that it would be more than 400k loss but it defiantly isnt a gain :P
    I have seen a peak in activity on my realm for 5.4 but I have no idea if those that are now active had expired subs beforehand but I think the biggest driving force behind the amount of subs lost is going to be China.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have seen a peak in activity on my realm for 5.4 but I have no idea if those that are now active had expired subs beforehand but I think the biggest driving force behind the amount of subs lost is going to be China.
    Yep I could see that...The new isle also seems to have upset alot of people and does not seem to be much content. The pushed the patch out in time to get people back right before the quarter ends. quarter 4 should have massive lost if they do not have a trick up their sleeves

Free 7 day trial for patch 5.4 HMMMM. They did this last time for another patch which I have a feeling they do count towards "current subscribers".
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

10+ Year Old Account
    when does the Q3 report come out anyway?
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    I'd never compare him to Hitler, Hitler was actually well educated, and by all accounts pretty intelligent.

Quote Originally Posted by Flaks View Post
    Free 7 day trial for patch 5.4 HMMMM. They did this last time for another patch which I have a feeling they do count towards "current subscribers".
    I doubt that free trials count towards the current sub numbers however it clearly is a promotion aimed at bringing back subscribers and obviously the launch of a major content patch is going to be the most effective time to hold such a promotion.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep I could see that...The new isle also seems to have upset alot of people and does not seem to be much content. The pushed the patch out in time to get people back right before the quarter ends. quarter 4 should have massive lost if they do not have a trick up their sleeves
    I agree that unless there is more content to be released soon 5.4 is not going to be able to hold on the subscribers.

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    I want to know this too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tierbook View Post
    It will be the second week of November although Q2 results were released early this year when the news of ATVI and Vivendi separating broke.

It will be the second week of November although Q2 results were released early this year when the news of ATVI and Vivendi separating broke.
    And people are already discussing this? Lol, i am always curious when i see the reports on the front page but we are still in the middle of September. I will come back in November. But since i am already here i am just gonna say that it's gonna be a small loss, 100k-500k imo.