Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question Custom Built Computer- Compatibility Issues

Hello all, i'm building my first computer, and since these are very expensive parts i would like more opinions on if there compatible with each other or not.. Well here we go!

Case - $210
    SilverStone RAVEN RV02B-EW-USB3.0

ww w.newegg. com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163213
    Note - i'm mainly wondering if everything is going to fit inside of this lol

Motherboard - $230
    ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z

Main Site - ww w.asus. com/us/Motherboards/CROSSHAIR_V_FORMULAZ/

CPU - $200
    AMD FX-8350 Vishera 4.0GHz 8-core AM3+

ww w.newegg. com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113284&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-_-pla-_-Processors+-+Desktops-_-N82E16819113284&gclid=CNXG3q3U37gCFQyk4AodMGoAQA

Graphics Card - $700
    AMD Radeon 7990 6GB PCIe 3.0

Main Site - ww w.amd. com/us/products/desktop/graphics/7000/7990/Pages/radeon-7990.aspx
    Amazon - ww w.amazon. com/VisionTek-AMD-Express-Graphics-900627/dp/B00D3FPKTK/ref=sr_1_656?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1378070264&sr=1-656&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=ur2&tag=shopamd-20
    Note - I know the motherboard says its PCIe 2.0 ready but i hear PCIe 3.0 Cards also work on 2.0.. Is this true?

PSU - $330
    CORSAIR AXi AX1200i 1200W

ww w.newegg. com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139039
    Note- does this have enough pins for everything, also possible future crossfire?

RAM - $175
    Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin SDRAM DDR3 2400

ww w.newegg. com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820104374
    Note - i'm looking to start off at 16Gb, 8Gb per slot

Storage - $480
    SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE750BW 2.5" 750GB SATA III TLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

ww w.newegg. com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147250
    Note- Will 2.5" Fit in the case?

DVD Burner - $30
    ASUS DVD Burner 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X
    DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model
    DRW-24B3ST/BLK/G/AS

ww w.newegg. com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135240

Total will be around $2355+
    I already have keyboard, mouse, and monitor(32" TV HDMI), thank you for viewing and i'd love to hear some responses..
    PS: Sorry for the spacing in URL Dx
    Last edited by gogogamer; 2013-09-07 at 03:19 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I won't sugar coat it, and I'm not trying to be insulting, but this is a $1200 system with a $2100 price tag.

I would seriously recommend going and filling out the Build sticky... But there honestly isn't a single part on this list I would recommend to anyone. I can break down what the problem is with each part, but I'd recommend starting with the Build sticky first, and we can move from there.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

A lot of others are going to say it, I'll say it first - if this is purely a gaming build go with a decent i5/i7 over the AMD based setup. Otherwise, short of really scrutinising parts it certainly looks ok.

Also - the Velociraptors a bit of an odd choice, go SSD + a decent sized "regular" drive for generally better results. The raptors were amazing back in the day but they aren't THAT much ahead of regular drives, SSD's fill that particular niche.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    I knew it would be useful to be french at some point.
    Quote Originally Posted by xxAkirhaxx
    just get a mac. It's like sleeping with a fat chick to avoid STD's.

Quote Originally Posted by mercutiouk View Post
    A lot of others are going to say it, I'll say it first - if this is purely a gaming build go with a decent i5/i7 over the AMD based setup. Otherwise, short of really scrutinising parts it certainly looks ok.
    Its not "purely" a gaming build, it will be duel monitor with with Raidcall and maybe even some videos running/downloading all at the same time while i'm playing, i do a lot haha, the i7 is a quad-core, wouldn't that be slower then the 8-core AMD?

Quote Originally Posted by mercutiouk View Post
    Also - the Velociraptors a bit of an odd choice, go SSD + a decent sized "regular" drive for generally better results. The raptors were amazing back in the day but they aren't THAT much ahead of regular drives, SSD's fill that particular niche.
    And i mainly chose that for the 10,000RPM, which means faster speeds i thought, am i wrong?.. i'm looking for the top of the line, fastest hard drive available, size doesnt matter to much as long as its about 500Gb+

- - - Updated - - -

Eh, what is this build sticky? haha

Go to the sticky thread and fill out the build post.

You say "i'm looking for the top of the line" but this is far from top of the line.
    You'll be essentially paying twice the amount of money for what you're getting.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by gogogamer View Post
    the i7 is a quad-core, wouldn't that be slower then the 8-core AMD?
    It is not.
    And i mainly chose that for the 10,000RPM, which means faster speeds i thought, am i wrong?
    It.. does and doesnt... Raptors are old tech
    Eh, what is this build sticky? haha
    This: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...-build-Read-me!

Keep in mind.. .Blowing tons of money doesnt equal performance. I could build a better system on nearly half the cost.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

"Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Its not "purely" a gaming build, it will be duel monitor with with Raidcall and maybe even some videos running/downloading all at the same time while i'm playing, i do a lot haha, the i7 is a quad-core, wouldn't that be slower then the 8-core AMD?
    Not necessarily, my current 4-core i7-920 is/was at least comparable if not better than the AMD equivalent 6-core processor at the time. There's a lot more to processors than their Ghz speed and the number of cores.

And i mainly chose that for the 10,000RPM, which means faster speeds i thought, am i wrong?.. i'm looking for the top of the line, fastest hard drive available, size doesnt matter to much as long as its about 500Gb+.
    Compared to other HDD's that generally is true but compared to an SSD which has no moving parts it's actually quite slow, not to mention for the price of a single raptor you can easily get a 120GB SSD and a 1TB HDD for a good 20 or so dollars less.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    This: ww w.mmo-champion. com/threads/985600-Want-help-with-your-build-Read-me

Keep in mind.. .Blowing tons of money doesnt equal performance. I could build a better system on nearly half the cost.
    Well then Dx ... looks like i got alittle bit of work ahead of me.. i would do that sticky but i rather look for the parts myself and self educate.. if i just had someone tell me what to get wheres the fun you know? but do you think building an AMD based computer is wise? or should i change my standpoint..

Quote Originally Posted by Dedweight View Post
    Not necessarily, my current 4-core i7-920 is/was at least comparable if not better than the AMD equivalent 6-core processor at the time. There's a lot more to processors than their Ghz speed and the number of cores.
    Aw well.. question if i decided to go with an intel i7 chip would i have to change up my mobo?

Quote Originally Posted by Dedweight View Post
    Compared to other HDD's that generally is true but compared to an SSD which has no moving parts it's actually quite slow, not to mention for the price of a single raptor you can easily get a 120GB SSD and a 1TB HDD for a good 20 or so dollars less.
    I see.. it honestly didnt occur to me to use an SSD.. Good find i'll switch it out now then.. to this-
    -$480

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by solvexx View Post
    Go to the sticky thread and fill out the build post.

You say "i'm looking for the top of the line" but this is far from top of the line.
    You'll be essentially paying twice the amount of money for what you're getting.
    Even though it kills the fun.. yeaah i'll go fill it out.. its best too look at things from a different perspective anyway..
    And I only meant top of the line storage, for speed wise.. from where your getting that.
    Last edited by gogogamer; 2013-09-07 at 03:40 AM.

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    I'll go in with the others... you're planning on spending a lot of money on a system that could be beat for 1/2 the cost. Cost =/= performance.

And sorry to say, if you have to ask if a 2.5" SSD will fit in the case, you really need some help figuring out the right parts to give you the best bang for your buck
    Last edited by Vermicious; 2013-09-07 at 03:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by g01851 View Post
    IAnd sorry to say, if you have to ask if a 2.5" SSD will fit in the case, you really need some help figuring out the right parts to give you the best bang for your buck
    Eh Dx your honestly right on that way.. i was mainly wondering if the case came with a medal plate if it WAS only a 3.5" slot so i could get it secured properly.. but i guess such a small issue can be easily fixed..

here is what i would do with the amount your planning on spending

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1APWR
    Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1APWR/by_merchant/
    Benchmarks: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1APWR/benchmarks/

CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Amazon)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($78.54 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Professional ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($181.49 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($163.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($369.99 @ Adorama)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($675.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: Silverstone SST-RV02B-EW-USB3.0 (Black) ATX Full Tower Case ($209.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic X Series 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($166.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($48.99 @ Newegg)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 Professional (OEM) (64-bit) ($129.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Total: $2345.91
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-06 23:44 EDT-0400)

overall a strong build for what your looking for i even put the same case you selected in the build

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Most of the 2.5" SSD's come with an adapter bracket that allows you to install them in a 3.5" slot in the case, if not they can be purchased cheap (like $5).

The build above is nice... and right on your budget.

I might consider just getting a 256Gb SSD, and maybe a 1 or 2 TB regular HDD for storage, for the same price. Up to you of course, and you can always get an external USB 3.0 drive that will be speedy.

10+ Year Old Account
    but do you think building an AMD based computer is wise? or should i change my standpoint..
    No. AMD is more or less behind in nearly everything right now.
    Aw well.. question if i decided to go with an intel i7 chip would i have to change up my mobo?
    i7 wouldn't really benefit. i5 would do fine.
    Even though it kills the fun.. yeaah i'll go fill it out.. its best too look at things from a different perspective anyway..
    You want help/advice... But then refuse to do the things we need to help and advise.

Fill out the information, budget, what you want to do, and we can help get something secured.

Deleted
    Okay, given the budget you seem to have, here's a build:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($339.99 @ Newegg)
    CPU Cooler: Corsair H100 92.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($97.13 @ TigerDirect)
    Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($154.99 @ Newegg)
    Memory: Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($129.99 @ Microcenter)
    Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($176.99 @ NCIX US)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($675.98 @ SuperBiiz)
    Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: FSP Group AURUM 92+ 650W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($115.98 @ Outlet PC)
    Optical Drive: Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer ($48.99 @ Newegg)
    Total: $1840.01
    (Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
    (Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-09-07 04:33 EDT-0400)

1) Yes, the i5 is fine for gaming, but if the OP wants to spend the money, then the i7 is also good.
    2) 16GB of RAM is also overkill, but hey.
    3) the AURUM form FSP is an awesome thing of beauty, and is much less in cost than the PSU the OP listed.

Quote Originally Posted by tenangrychickens View Post
    Okay, given the budget you seem to have, here's a build:

1) Yes, the i5 is fine for gaming, but if the OP wants to spend the money, then the i7 is also good.
    2) 16GB of RAM is also overkill, but hey.
    3) the AURUM form FSP is an awesome thing of beauty, and is much less in cost than the PSU the OP listed.
    Okay i like this build alot.. but point is i'm going for over kill.. so lets just change just a few things to see if we can get that to work..
    CPU i like, i should of looked at cpu charts from the beginning..

The Mobo i also like alot, its a good base, but i want to get the full performance out of it.. so..

The RAM i would like DDR3-3000 or 2666 Memory, since the mobo supports it..
    Is this compatible? - ww w.newegg. com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231601

And for the storage i think i'll just keep the one i had..

And with those small changes would i need a PSU upgrade?
    I don't want any chance of blue screens now..

- - - Updated - - -

I made my own PCpart picker and it says this..
    "G.Skill Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2666 Memory operating voltage of 1.65V exceeds the Intel Haswell CPU recommended maximum of 1.5V+5% (1.575V). This memory module may run at a reduced clock rate to meet the 1.5V voltage recommendation, or may require running at a voltage greater than the Intel recommended maximum."
    Is there a way to run the cpu on 1.65V without killing it?

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't do that.
    Just get the 1.5v 1600MHz ram, getting more wont improve your gaming performance.
    8700K (5GHz) - Z370 M5 - Mugen 5 - 16GB Tridentz 3200MHz - GTX 1070Ti Strix - NZXT S340E - Dell 24' 1440p (165Hz)

Deleted
    Okay i like this build alot.. but point is i'm going for over kill.. so lets just change just a few things to see if we can get that to work..
    CPU i like, i should of looked at cpu charts from the beginning..
    If you truly want absolute overkill, check Marest's sample builds for that.

10+ Year Old Account
    The RAM i would like DDR3-3000 or 2666 Memory, since the mobo supports it..

And with those small changes would i need a PSU upgrade?
    I don't want any chance of blue screens now..
    I don't think you understand what "Overkill" means. When we say it, it means "You are spending money for virtually no benefit". Faster ram won't help. A bigger PSU wont do anything. I know you want that stuff, and I get that, but the only thing you're doing is spending money. Nothing more. You aren't really getting 'better performance' or 'future proofing' or anything.

I don't know why you think you'll get "Blue Screens" from what people have suggested. It still doesn't help that you haven't explained what you're even doing with the system.

Quote Originally Posted by Toffie View Post
    Don't do that.
    Just get the 1.5v 1600MHz ram, getting more wont improve your gaming performance.
    Faster RAM hosts faster load time on apps and such though correct? i figured with a fast SATA, the Ethernet Port the mobo has, and very fast RAM with a fast CPU would all equal up to almost instant load times, even on OS boot.. How wrong am i?

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    I don't think you understand what "Overkill" means. When we say it, it means "You are spending money for virtually no benefit". Faster ram won't help. A bigger PSU wont do anything. I know you want that stuff, and I get that, but the only thing you're doing is spending money. Nothing more. You aren't really getting 'better performance' or 'future proofing' or anything.

I don't know why you think you'll get "Blue Screens" from what people have suggested. It still doesn't help that you haven't explained what you're even doing with the system.
    I was just wondering about the PSU needing upgrading because of the extra voltage i might need for the CPU.. i was not trying to offend anyone, it was just a concern..

And i have explained somewhat of what i'm doing, but i guess i can make it alittle more clear.. I play MMORPG's constantly, i'm going to school for game simulation and Game Development, in this i will be studying various language and programs, such as Autodesk 3ds Max Studio, Maya, Sketchbook Pro, Game Maker Studio, Google SketchUp, Adobe Master Collection (Photoshop, Flash, After Effects, Premiere Pro), MS Visual Studio, XNA, ZBrush, Mudbox3D, Unreal Engine and Unity 3D. Students use various programming languages and scripts to create their simulations and games, including: C#, C++, J2E, VB, Python, Java and Action Script. And potentially variations of the cryengine will be studied, most of these classes will be online, so i'll need an exceptionally good computer, i also am a guild leader of a small guild, and mayhap a future big one, i'll need to host some servers at one point, say minecraft, Terraria, maybe even an mmo based game like perfect world in the future.. also atm i have 18 mmo's on my computer installed, and about 5+ emulators, including ps2 and wii.. i do alot and i tend to do it all at once.. i need a computer that its okay to try and "overkill" it, because i want to be able to do most of everything, 4+ things at once and not be slowed down at all.. if that's possible, so thats what i'm looking for..

10+ Year Old Account
    Faster RAM hosts faster load time on apps and such though correct? i figured with a fast SATA, the Ethernet Port the mobo has, and very fast RAM with a fast CPU would all equal up to almost instant load times, even on OS boot.. How wrong am i?
    Pretty wrong? I'm not sure what to tell you. Those things are largely unrelated to eachother. The SSD will account for most of your boot and load speeds. There's usually not even large benefit going from 1333 to 1600, however usually 1600 is the same price or sometimes cheaper, so 1600 is standard. Sometimes 1866 might be cheaper on sale, so that would be nice, but simply for price. Not performance.

I was just wondering about the PSU needing upgrading because of the extra voltage i might need for the CPU
    >.>
    I'm... I.. huh? A 'better' PSU doesn't provide more voltage. It might provide more wattage capacity (i.e. an 850w over a 850w) but the system only pulls what it needs. If your system demands 400w, it pulls 400w. That setup, with the i7 and 780, will -never- break 500w, and normally it won't even break 400. If you are stress testing both the CPU and GPU, it'll get to like.. 450. Certainly, if you go SLI, you'll need more... BUt you won't need SLI with a 780, really. Like... You wont.

And i have explained somewhat of what i'm doing, but i guess i can make it alittle more clear..
    Yeah.. you said MMOs and raidcall and running videos... Which a $1000 can do to perfection.

games, programming, etc etc - i need a computer that its okay to try and "overkill" it, because i want to be able to do most of everything, 4+ things at once and not be slowed down at all.. if that's possible, so thats what i'm looking for..
    Eh. To be honest. The stuff you're doing isn't all that incredibly demanding. If you WANT to spend an extra $1000 or more on a system to squeeze an extra 1-2% out... You can. However, what would be BETTER is just saving that $1000-1500 and upgrade later, and get 10-20-30 performance out of the money. Just because you can afford something, doesn't mean it is the correct thing to do. You say "4+ things at once" but.. stuff like raidcall... skype... playing a video... music... internet tabs... None of those really use any power. And MMO's don't use much either. Once you have a good CPU (which is like... $230), you're done there. Anything else is mostly fluff >.>

It's your money, and it's great to want OMG AMAZING stuff, but in the end its just wasting money, especially when that money can be used -effectively- later on.