Page 24 of 47 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    people who use adblock are robbing people of money. if you enjoy anything on a website and continue using it then you are a bad person.

if you like what someone is doing you can take the 30 seconds or so it takes to watch a damn ad so that person can feed their families and continue doing the things you loved.

how would you like it if i just walked into your place of business and just took all the shit i wanted for free and said "HA HA IM WEARIN A JACKET BLOCKED YOU @_@"
    I sure hope you don't download mp3s, tv-shows, movies... or change the television channel/radio station when commercials come on.... because, you know, those million dollar companies like Google and Time Warner won't be able to feed their families.

Quote Originally Posted by maldias View Post
    ads and you get it for free, or pay and you get it free of ads.
    both ways the people who made the content get paid and consumers get to see the content.
    There is no way for you to know whether your ads are being shown or not, you can start a cat-and-mouse war about detecting adblock and so on, but in the end you will loose it, you will also loose "legit" viewers to false positives and you will get your bandwidth wasted to download ads that are never going to be displayed to the end user (right now adblock doesn't download ads, and it's the main way to detect it).

Yeah guys, I agree with YouTube!

YouTube is only owned by a billion dollar company and has all of its content created for it for free by its users. I mean, I'm so upset that Google doesn't get every penny of advertising money.

Down with adblock!

10+ Year Old Account
    Your not obligated to support them, and if you want (and are on Firefox) you can switch to Adblock Edge which is a fork of the standard Adblock Plus code.

Here's an analogy to put some perspective on this (I'm sorry im not very good at this lol)

Content providers are like people who hand out free candy. Lots of people like free candy so lots of people show up.

Content providers cant afford to keep giving out free candy and the only current option is to let someone with alot of money give them some for each person they let him hit in the head with a pebble.

People will keep coming back, cause it's free freakin candy and pebbles arent gonna cause any real harm and are just annoying for a seconds.

But eventually alot of people are gonna get sick of getting hit in the head with pebbles. Some people stop going to the candy and some people wear helmets.

The corporation stops giving the provider money for every person who wears a helmet, so the content provider lets people pay him for the candy and he doesnt let them get hit.

But then it's no longer free candy and a bunch of people stop coming.

The provider now get's alot less money and can't give away nearly as much candy anymore.

In this situation who is to blame? The people who don't want to get hit with pebbles for not taking one for the provider or the corporation who doesn't give the provider an option in what to do to keep giving away free really good candy?
    Last edited by jwtelesio; 2013-09-10 at 06:44 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Viscoe View Post
    No, you know what's fucking easy? Making banner ads that don't flash or make noise without my permission.

Jesus.

Forget the "watch my ads!" "no, we don't want to!" war. Just make the ads tolerable again and all the reasonable people will turn Adblock back off. I know I certainly would. I know how important revenue is to sites like MMOC, but it's much, much, MUCH more a priority for me to not be agitated all the time while browsing my top-used site by slow loads (super huge flashy video ads), loud and unexpected noises interfering with my music that's currently playing and also that shatter my concentration when trying to READ TEXT ON A TEXT BASED SITE, and Malware warnings.
    This is exactly why I have adblock installed. Having stupid add blow my ear drums that are hidden somewhere in a sea of adds over pages when you finaly find them the add actually resets the sound options when it comes to replay over it's continual loop. If sites want to put advertisments that lower my enjoyment of browsing the internet then I'll continue to use adblock, and if any site restricts users who have adblock installed I refuse to use them. It's never been an issue and never will. I'm not uninstaling adblock because of any site or their deemed self importance.

Quote Originally Posted by getupkid55 View Post
    I sure hope you don't download mp3s, tv-shows, movies... or change the television channel/radio station when commercials come on.... because, you know, those million dollar companies like Google and Time Warner won't be able to feed their families.
    or you know, the people who make the fucking content.

i mean, its not like every person running a site on the internet doesn't have like a bajillion dollars they can fall back on if they don't make enough money from their work to pay for necessities.

the big companies aren't the ones actually hurt by this, its the small sites and the content creators that end up being hurt.
    Last edited by mordale; 2013-09-10 at 06:43 AM.

I would be willing to bet that the majority of users only have issue with overly invasive advertisements that actually PREVENT you from viewing the content.

What happened to good old fashioned banners or subtle ads off to the side/top/bottom.

The greedy bastard who created these in-your-face advertisements is the one to blame. Not Adblock.

Quote Originally Posted by getupkid55 View Post
    I would be willing to bet that the majority of users only have issue with overly invasive advertisements that actually PREVENT you from viewing the content.

What happened to good old fashioned banners or subtle ads off to the side/top/bottom.

The greedy bastard who created these in-your-face advertisements is the one to blame. Not Adblock.
    no, everyone of them have their share of fault.

if the ads are too intrusive don't go to that site anymore.
    send them a email telling them that you aren't going to visit them anymore due to them and will only return if they host more sensible ads.

but blocking the ads is preventing them for being payed for you viewing their content.

at the end of the day, it really only hurts the content creators cause the people who purchased the ad space don't pay them if the ad isn't viewed.

or you know, the people who make the fucking content.

i mean, its not like every person running a site on the internet doesn't have like a bajillion dollars they can fall back on if they don't make enough money from their work to pay for necessities.

the big companies aren't the ones actually hurt by this, its the small sites and the content creators that end up being hurt.
    Actually the big companies DO get hurt. The problem is that they're doing it to themselves on purpose so it doesn't count as a "Loss".

Blind Advertising is based on a stupidly complicated equation that's basically throwing away money on purpose to count any amount of income from it as profit.

It works because all gains are based on "Potential Profit" not Actual Profit. Since for Blind Advertising on the internet there is very little information gathered or planning going on for the ads, the companies that give them for Providers to play will usually only play those ads for a short amount of time then abandon the Provider. They don't really need to stay since it'll be mostly the same viewer base seeing the ads and they already got the ad to them all asap.

Problems arise when people start blocking the ads. Ruining the entirely nonexistent "Profit". In reality it does nothing to a company, just like how there are no actual loses from digital pirating. But since any gain from turning "Potential Profit" to Actual Profit is 100% profit to them they get uppity about it.

They then try to eliminate the cost of the "Potential Profit" by reducing payment to providers. It's a kind of irony that they're willing to throw money away cause "Maybe" but do everything they can to cut losses when they're shown that "Maybe" doesn't mean "Certainly".
    Last edited by jwtelesio; 2013-09-10 at 07:00 AM.

Deleted

send them a email telling them that you aren't going to visit them anymore due to them and will only return if they host more sensible ads.

but blocking the ads is preventing them for being payed for you viewing their content.

at the end of the day, it really only hurts the content creators cause the people who purchased the ad space don't pay them if the ad isn't viewed.
    So what? It's not the viewers problem, its not your duty to ensure they get paid, it's their own. You don't expect shops to hand you free stuff if youre poor either, do you? In the business world it's the customers duty to pay as little as possible and get the highest quality service or product in return. If ads are annoying even in a minor way, for example they have red background and I don't like red, it's ok to block them.

I'd say self hating customers are much bigger problem than programs like Adblock. If you let them get away with everything, soon you will be paying for viewing ads on top of the content too..

No thanks. I'd rather block the ads and hurt their bottom line. It's user-generated content anyways, I don't care about them making an extra buck off someone else's work.

Quote Originally Posted by durrtygoodz View Post
    I can't watch that Zybak video, I find him intolerable. I love AdBlock and couldn't go on the internet without it. I really don't care if some guy sitting at his computer all day making money from frapsing games "loses" money because of me. However, a few years ago I didn't bother with AdBlock, and here's the important thing to think about: Ads used to be "okay". You'd go on a website with a banner at the top, or down the side of the page. Maybe a square in the corner or whatever. To me that was ok and didn't bother me. Now, you get a 30 second unskippable ad to watch a 2 minute clip on Youtube. You have websites literally infested with ads. It seems 60% content 40% ads. If I turn my adblock off now my screen just gets filled with bullshit. So until the greedy cunts cut back on advertising space I'll keep using AdBlock, and God bless the creators.
    Zybak is a complete idiot, some moron fratboy that thinks he's a 'content creator'. Funny part is you can tell he thinks he's intelligent and he is so very wrong. Agreed about the ads too, it's one thing when there are harmless banners and whatnot. It's another entirely when sites like Blip play the ads at FULL VOLUME every single time, or pages have incredibly loud videos in banner ads, or the banner fills the entire screen and makes you search for the 'close' button, or the ads that have spyware in them. Seriously, advertising has gotten out of control and I'm sick of dealing with it. As someone with an anxiety condition the last thing I need is to go watch a video and hear "You're drowning" from an ad every single time.

I use adblock as a form of security (like noscript). Will I stop using it? No, I want my computer virus and spyware free as possible.
    EVERYDAY I'M SHUFFLIN. ┏(-_-)┛┗(-_- )┓┗(-_-)┛┏(-_-)┓

The 30-40 second commercials on all YouTube-videos really does it for me. If I want to watch a movie that's < 2 minutes long, and I have to sit through that much of a commercial? Nope.
    You were good, kid, real good. But as long as I'm around, you'll always be second best, see?
    ______________________________________________________________________________
    Oh, and no comment from Xe'ra about how the assault on the black temple was being led in part by the naaru. So was hatred corrupting A'dal's mind too, you pretentious windchime?
    - Volpethrope

I would also like to state that the rebuttal video for ad block is some stupid kid who is trying to make money off of sitting on his ass all day playing video games and he really shouldn't be calling people that use ad block shitty,asshole or dumb people. I have white listed websites that I support (like gamebreaker.tv and boogie2988 videos on youtube) because they ask nicely; I'm not turning off ad block because some kid is whining about not getting his youtube money.

In short words: Ask nicely and I'll be happy to turn off ad block so you can get those 2 cents you really earn.
    EVERYDAY I'M SHUFFLIN. ┏(-_-)┛┗(-_- )┓┗(-_-)┛┏(-_-)┓

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorTjc View Post
    I would also like to state that the rebuttal video for ad block is some stupid kid who is trying to make money off of sitting on his ass all day playing video games and he really shouldn't be calling people that use ad block shitty,asshole or dumb people. I have white listed websites that I support (like gamebreaker.tv and boogie2988 videos on youtube) because they ask nicely; I'm not turning off ad block because some kid is whining about not getting his youtube money.

In short words: Ask nicely and I'll be happy to turn off ad block so you can get those 2 cents you really earn.
    I think the best part is how much he rails on the adblock devs for asking for donations when he asks for donations in the descriptions of his videos. Dude's about as intelligent as your average pancake.

wait wait wait wait... What?

So it's ok for people who don't like the ads to just leave and not give them ad revenue, but it's bad if they block the ads and don't give them ad revenue?

They don't get the money no matter the situation and there isn't a cost for the blocker to watch the content. So the only reason there could be for it being bad for blockers to watch is the fact that they gain something out of it.

Internet Content Providers compete with each other FIERCELY for views. It's why there are trends and bandwagons. I guarantee no matter who they are there is a perfect alternative people could switch to. There is no threat in telling people that if they use adblocker they should go away or blacklist them from your content cause they can easily get it somewhere else.

This kind of attitude with quite literally destroy the careers of content providers who follow this principle and boost the careers of the ones who don't.
    If 40% of viewers use adblock telling them to GTFO will wreck your fanbase. Contrary to popular belief all publicity is NOT good publicity.

Honestly? I scoff at people who ever say that i'm jealous of youtubers. That's a HORRIBLE job to have. The only way you make a living is jumping on something early and hoping it takes off so that you make a name for yourself or you can pander to the base of 12-16 year old males. Mess up once and you become irrelevant forever no matter how popular you were.
    Last edited by jwtelesio; 2013-09-10 at 07:25 AM.

I wouldn't give two craps about ads if they weren't loaded with spyware, viruses, or phishing programs. I don't mind watching safe ads before videos, but popups and crap can just go to hell.

Deleted
    allow me to make this simple enough for you.

i do not give a shit about what is being advertised.
    i give a shit that people who make content get paid for their work for every person who consumes that content.
    that is my sole motivation for my anger, i am tired of looking at income sheet after income sheet with over 40% of lost revenue due to asshats running adblock.
    i am tired of having to fire people who love their job because of that.

when you adblock you are stealing people's wages, and fuck you for doing it.
    Think you need to look up some definitions. Stealing, for one. Also, why are you angry? You can't do anything about it, save giving yourself a hernia. Calm down.