Need help with a custom build.

So i've recently decided to update my work laptop and custom build one. Unfortunately, I'm kind of a noob with such things so i was hoping you guys could help me out. I have a $1200 budget and my work requires a lot of MATLAB and programming. Any build ideas would be appreciated.

10+ Year Old Account
    A few things!

1) It would greatly help if you filled out the Build Help sticky.
    2) Are you looking to build custom desktop? Or laptop? There really isn't "Custom Laptops", not for any reasonable price. You can certainly configure them, but you can't pick and choose everything like you could a desktop.
    3) Just for reference, I don't think MATLAB (at least last time I used it a few years back) requires much power, if any. Nor does programming.
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not much you can customize with laptops, other than finding one that fits your needs and buy it. HP and Dell allow you to configure things like HDD vs SSD and the size of them, and/or how much RAM is installed. Otherwise you're pretty well limited to what models they have available.

Matlab isn't nearly as 'power' greedy as it used to be, most CPU's can handle it quite well, for your budget a system with an i5 or i7 will do just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by chazus View Post
    A few things!

1) It would greatly help if you filled out the Build Help sticky.
    2) Are you looking to build custom desktop? Or laptop? There really isn't "Custom Laptops", not for any reasonable price. You can certainly configure them, but you can't pick and choose everything like you could a desktop.
    3) Just for reference, I don't think MATLAB (at least last time I used it a few years back) requires much power, if any. Nor does programming.
    Thanks for the quick reply.

Budget- $1200
    Resolution- 1900x1200.
    Games / Settings Desired- Not going to use my laptop for excessive gaming so as long as it would be able to run a game like wow on low-medium, that'd be great.
    Any other intensive software or special things you do (Frequent video encoding, 3D modeling, etc): Solid Works
    Parts that can be reused: None
    Do you need an OS? -Yes
    Do you need peripherals (e.g. monitor, mouse, keyboard, speakers, etc)? No.

2. It'd be a laptop.

3. The laptop i used previously keeps overheating extremely fast so i'd like to just get a new laptop so i won't have to worry about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Manavz View Post
    3. The laptop i used previously keeps overheating extremely fast so i'd like to just get a new laptop so i won't have to worry about that.
    If that's the only reason you're upgrading and if it didn't have that problem when it first came, all you need to do is replace thermal paste.
    Fluorescent - Fluo - currently retired, playing other stuff

i5-4670k @ 4.5 / Thermalright Silver Arrow Extreme / Gigabyte Z87X-D3H / 8GB DDR3-1600 RAM / Gigabyte GTX 760

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fluorescent0 View Post
    If that's the only reason you're upgrading and if it didn't have that problem when it first came, all you need to do is replace thermal paste.
    Also a good shot of canned air can work wonders... have you cleaned the air vents and fan in your current laptop?