Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Question to Americans about Fracking and issues about it.

So, the technology to Fracking has entered Europe recently, mostly banned so far due to concerns about public health and environment.

However, thus far as signs are concerned my country might go Fracking, however due to concerns about health and environment this might be stupid as the region they picked has about 501/km² (or: 501 people at one square km), and a important waterpurifying/extraction region + possible earthquake prone fault lines.

This makes thus the percieved risks by the boroughs (or civil parishes) possibly involved with the possible fracking wellings pretty much on edge, due to many geographical risks inherently associated by Fracking. (Sand + water = doable, but chemicals can return back to drinking water)

So far, personally i'm not too happy about it, but I want to know for sure if Fracking is as dangerous as they tell it is, preferabele I want to hear from the Americans who had personal experience with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its really not dangerous at all and provides a great deal of resources for minimum expenditure. The worse that will happen is every now and then there will be small tremors but nothing that would cause any damage.

10+ Year Old Account
    they are planning to start it in the UK, a few people protesting it. was funny on the bbc when they interveiwed some of the protesters, biggest bunch of clueless hippies, had no idea what they were talking about. Im all for it!
    dragonmaw - EU

If you watched Battlestar Gallactica, this subject meant something very different!!

Fracking has to be banned all over europe. No sane person could ever think this is a good idea.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm American, and the only groups I've seen pro-fracking in America have been groups that don't care about the environment.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it will help millions more people then it will harm. Because of shale oil and gas, the US can become the world's largest energy producer in the next 10 years. It's predicted to by numerous financial and government institutions. Creating Trillions in economic activity in the world's largest economy.

Fracking is going to put people to work, it's going to lift our economy, and the world's, and its going to drastically change the geopolitical outlook of the world.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    It's safe. Most people and groups against fracking are paid shills of the big middle eastern gas producers like Qatar.

flaming spigots: there has been methane in well water found in the Appalachian region and the Rocky Mtns since there were people drilling wells. This is not due to fracking.

earthquakes: some small tremors may be due to injection wells putting wastewater back into the deep strata where oil & gas have been extracted. Somewhat inconclusive science - need more study.

contaminated well water: wells are 50-250 ft deep. fracking is 3000-5000 ft deep. Aquifers for drinking water are far above the shale being fractured for gas / oil and separated by impermeable rock or a combination of rock and sand and clay that adsorb and filter any contaminants. No well water has been found to contain fracking mixture except when it's from a surface spill that leaks down. No frack fluid has been found to seep up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    I think it will help millions more people then it will harm. Because of shale oil and gas, the US can become the world's largest energy producer in the next 10 years. It's predicted to by numerous financial and government institutions. Creating Trillions in economic activity in the world's largest economy.

Fracking is going to put people to work, it's going to lift our economy, and the world's, and its going to drastically change the geopolitical outlook of the world.
    It also uses a shitton of water when we need it for more important things, like drinking, and agriculture. Especially during droughts. Frankly I'd put fracking dead last on water usage. people > Agriculture > fracking.

Deleted
    Uranium is a toxin now?

When being used for Fracking fluid?

Hahahaha, fuck the hippies, we need more vespian gas.

10+ Year Old Account
    Seems like a bunch of hysterics to me. We've been fracking in the US for decades without major issues. There are rare isolated reports of people with contaminated well-water, but I'm not at all convinced it bears any relation to the fracking.

But then, I work in an industry that has a lot to gain from fracking, so take that as you will.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Injecting chemicals where we get our fresh water, what could possibly go wrong?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    It also uses a shitton of water when we need it for more important things, like drinking, and agriculture. Especially during droughts. Frankly I'd put fracking dead last on water usage. people > Agriculture > fracking.
    Not every country is a third world desert that doesn't have decent water distribution.

I'm allright with Fracking as long the frackers are mindful of the environment and aren't in the vicinity of a drink-able reservoir. then they can frack away

10+ Year Old Account
    If we needed water that badly we'd outlaw lawns. Fracking provies energy, energy everyone needs, and energy we currently are getting from reprehensible suppliers.
    "Gamer" is not a bad word. I identify as a gamer. When calling out those who persecute and harass, the word you're looking for is "asshole." @_DonAdams
    When you see someone in a thread making the same canned responses over and over, click their name, click view forum posts, and see if they are a troll. Then don't feed them.

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefWigman View Post
    I'm allright with Fracking as long the frackers are mindful of the environment and aren't in the vicinity of a drink-able reservoir. then they can frack away
    Yes because oil companies are mindful as fuck about the oceans.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Korgoth View Post
    If we needed water that badly we'd outlaw lawns. Fracking provies energy, energy everyone needs, and energy we currently are getting from reprehensible suppliers.
    I didnt realize Canada was a reprehensible supplier, which is where we get most of our stuff.

Also, I live in an area that every summer, has to restrict water usage because we get droughts. 2012 80% of my state was in extreme drought. I just think its irresponsible when we're having that issue nearly every summer to give fracking more and more water.

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rukentuts View Post
    Injecting chemicals where we get our fresh water, what could possibly go wrong?
    That's not fracking, nor is it what oil and gas companies do. Stop spreading FUD.

http://xkcd.com/1040/large/

10+ Year Old Account
    I didnt realize Canada was a reprehensible supplier, which is where we get most of our stuff.

Also, I live in an area that every summer, has to restrict water usage because we get droughts. 2012 80% of my state was in extreme drought. I just think its irresponsible when we're having that issue nearly every summer to give fracking more and more water.
    You do understand how water works right? So they don't frak in that area where its a drought 80% of the time. They do it 1000 miles away. They are not going to truck that water to you.

As for Suppliers I find reprehensible: Saudi Arabia, Venezuela...

Quote Originally Posted by Kruncholyo View Post
    That's not fracking, nor is it what oil and gas companies do. Stop spreading FUD.

http://xkcd.com/1040/large/
    Yes, because you don't go through it or anything.