Gemming hit/expertise?

Hello!

Yes, I know expertise is translated to hit for spell casters.

However, I thought mainstat (int) was higher on priority than secondary stats?
    So why would people want to deck themselves all out in hit/expertise+mastery gems instead of int+mastery?
    Quote Originally Posted by vep View Post
    Are you really looking for logic in a game that sends you dragons via the mail service?...

Last edited by Alarinth; 2014-10-01 at 03:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by andromalia View Post

You very obviously didn't read his question. Not to mention, your post is spam under this websites rules. You fail.

To answer the question, Int is not over twice the priority of Mastery. You get twice as much Mastery per gem than you would Int.

Quote Originally Posted by DPA View Post
    Hello!

Yes, I know expertise is translated to hit for spell casters.

However, I thought mainstat (int) was higher on priority than secondary stats?
    So why would people want to deck themselves all out in hit/expertise+mastery gems instead of int+mastery?
    Simply, because math.

Assuming Hit (force cap ofc) > Int > Mastery, then Exp+Mastery is better than Int+Mastery, and then gain more mastery from reforges, too. Secondary stats are double primary in gems as we know (so 160 vs 80):

Using AMR's default destro weights ~
    Int 7.3
    Hit/Exp 6.7
    Mastery 4.6

Which simplifies into (i.e. divide by int, so 6.7÷7.3)

Int: 1
    Hit/Exp: 0.92
    Mastery: 0.63

160 Exp (160x0.92=147.2) + 160 Mastery (160x0.63=100.8) = total value of 248
    vs
    80 Int (80x1=80) + 160 Mastery (160+0.63=100.8) = total value of 180.8

tl;dr exp+mastery is better than int+mastery, assuming you need exp.
    Last edited by Soisoisoi; 2014-09-30 at 07:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Teye View Post
    You very obviously didn't read his question. Not to mention, your post is spam under this websites rules. You fail.

To answer the question, Int is not over twice the priority of Mastery. You get twice as much Mastery per gem than you would Int.
    I read his question and the first result on google explains exactly what he's looking for in great detail.

http://blog.askmrrobot.com/2013/09/e...s-casters-why/

And do explain exactly which rule I'm allegedly breaking...

Excessively communicating the same phrase, similar phrases, or pure gibberish
    Creating threads for the sole purpose of causing unrest on the forums
    Causing disturbances in forum threads, such as picking fights, making off topic posts that ruin the thread, insulting other posters
    Making non-constructive posts
    Abusing the Reported Post feature by sending false alarms or nonsensical messages
    Numbering a thread, IBTL, TLDR, or any other fad statements
    Thread-necro: Reviving an old thread for no reason other than bumping it to the first page
    Posting meme or troll images, text, or videos; "cool story bro", "u mad", "10/10", captioned images, etc...
    Replying to a thread simply to call the author a troll (regardless of whether the post is actually trolling -- if you feel it is, please use the report button)
    Last edited by andromalia; 2014-09-30 at 07:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by andromalia View Post
    -snip-

Its a meme. http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/sites/...for-you-lmgtfy

His question was why Mastery over Int. While the answer to "why expertise?" does answer that, its still not what he asked.

Quote Originally Posted by Teye View Post
    Its a meme. http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/sites/...for-you-lmgtfy

His question was why Mastery over Int. While the answer to "why expertise?" does answer that, its still not what he asked.
    That's *really* reaching. I can't stand the mindset of encouraging people not to do the most basic research before posting. Like seriously...the first google response answers the question with solid math.

It doesn't make any difference what stat you are talking about. The easy arithmetic explanation section clearly shows with numbers why you would ever gem for X stat over Y stat. If he had come in and said "I looked at this page I found on Google and I didn't understand it" it would be completely different.

2 of a secondary stat > 1 of a primary stat

long story short

It doesn't matter if 2 Hit > 1 Int, those weights are meant to be used before the 15% cap.

The main reason for gemming Expertise is being able to reforge more Hit into your "main secondary" stat.