Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Just had a quick question I was hoping you guys could help me out with. I'm one of those pve guys who is looking to get into pvp a little more. That being said, and understanding that in instanced pvp all pve gear scales down to somewhere around 512 at the moment, am I better off just using my 559 pve gear to start with or is the tyrannical 496 gear worth getting? Thanks in advance.

I would play arenas untill cap. And some bgs too, for honor.
    this way u could start equiping a mix of grivous and tyrannical...
    cause ur gear is kinda useless atm :X

Well no one cares about demonology. I feel sad about it

Unsure about gemming/reforging as aff.
    1. First post says haste is considered to be the second best stat for aff. So why gemming mastery? Is mastery>haste here or mastery>haste?
    2. Around which ivl does 2nd stat become stronger than int in pvp?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ol_baid View Post
    Unsure about gemming/reforging as aff.
    1. First post says haste is considered to be the second best stat for aff. So why gemming mastery? Is mastery>haste here or mastery>haste?
    2. Around which ivl does 2nd stat become stronger than int in pvp?
    Looks like I forgot to remove a word when I edited it the last time.
    1 Haste >= 1 Mastery > 0.5 Int. If you only plan to play Affliction, you can go Haste all the way, otherwise you can go full Mastery without noticing any real differences in total damage done.

Deleted
    @nicola, did u tested how many Hp we have with the new pvp gear on the ptr? which spec scale's better, affly or destro?

Did some ptr today with both haste and mastery aff setups. Fears were easier with the high haste setup. Damage on both was actually kinda underwhelming. Versus any competent healer rotting teams didn't happen past about 20% down. Haste setup UA dispels didn't do squat compared to the mastery one...or at least didn't expect how big a gap there was between the two. The opener of the mastery build did seem to have some pressure but soon as the darksoul + double trinkets ends that's it. Haste felt more linear/smoother.

Will say the 550ilvl gear makes all the swifty specs/classes even worse...while our absorbs/self heals are still crap. Kinda thinking our only option will be dark bargain the way everything else is scaling so poorly. Blood horror can still be removed with no penalty by rogues using their lil trick/exploit. Kinda hard to live long enough to rot something when so many can just kill you through a "defensive" or in a stun.

PVP power still sits our self heals/absorbs at about 1/3 the bonus of our damage and its a weak damage stat comparatively. You could probably give locks the same bonus to absorbs/self heals from it before you might see it show up as a stat someone might gem to. (which would require tripling its gain for our heals) This means that we still do stuff like doing more damage to ourselves via lifetap to pay for demo's fel flame use than we would do to our target in damage. Just saying that a class that has to convert HP > mana > damage > HP > etc we should get the regen side of our mechanics equation a bit more balanced. If I recall gemmed for secondary stats you are looking at ~60% pvp power damage with 20% pvp power healing gain (human with 2x dps pvp trinkets).

Didn't get a chance to do much with destro or any demo before things DC'd but will mess around more tomorrow....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dunedains View Post
    @nicola, did u tested how many Hp we have with the new pvp gear on the ptr? which spec scale's better, affly or destro?
    Haven't been playing on ptr lately, I've been buzy with exams.

Health should be around 640k unbuffed I think. As for the scaling, it's about equal. With the Resilience change being a ~20% damage reduction, I don't think you'll really see a big difference in damage between now and next season. :/

Nicola, have you had a chance to do anymore games on PTR? I got some bg's in but my friends who I run with haven't been around for rated play so I can only speak to non rated bg's (thus not super serious/accurate). Just curious if you or anyone else had a better impression of our options for 5.4.7?

Destro does hurt but its still a second class citizen to other bursty ranged. For me it is just infinitely more frustrating to play than my MM hunter or mage. I could see something like WW monk/destro/rsham (even tree) being possible...punch monks seem to be scaling well in 5.4.7 from what I can tell. Mage/Lock/Rsham should still work just by dint of tunneling the lock = long CC chains on the enemy healer via mage. Still something I see needing good coordination just to deal with your standard issue tunneling melee. LSD2/LSD I don't see working as well....maybe early on in the season when resil changes lower damage but less so as everyone's damage catches up. The nerve strike nerf will make rogues less good with locks but RLS might still be a second string option.

Thoughts?

Deleted
    until full 550 gear destro is going to do squishy damage. the comp will be the same as before. For destro MLS/MLD/RLS and for affly LSD (imo the best comp)

With the way rogues were on the PTR in 550 I'm pretty sure RLS will be our strongest. I'm hearing shadowplay is making a comeback though I haven't seen any streams of it just yet. Might imply shadowcleave will be good too but w' rogue/warrior/hunter vs DK's are too easy a target with locks already being too easy to tunnel. LSD seems like it would be very long games till RNGesus blesses your ele with enough procs. Destro still think only WW/dest/rsham or MLS will be the comps it works in. Still see it more of an RBG or BG spec than an arena one (yeah yeah thug can...). RLS has the peels + burst which fits with aff's spread damage + CC focus best. Even with nerve strike nerfed its still amazing for keeping the lock alive through cleaves.

Deleted
    Talents
    Resolved an issue where players that are under a stealth effect can use up a Blood Horror charge without triggering the Horror effect.
    Took them only 6 (?) months to fix this. Wonderful.

At least they fixed it before rogues start dropping us in any stun let alone the big kidney+cd's bomb...

Did a bunch of bgs and a few games...mostly w' friends but still healer or two, rest dps, etc. Tried all 3x specs and demo honestly isn't *that* bad at full M > C > H reforge in 523ilvl. Aff is still our goto and def likes its full haste (makes CC worlds easier too) but was surprised at how much better demo was vs the brainless melee fotm'ers. Just nobody will EVER die if you are not 100% on your CC's. Aff had similar pressure but more time to spend CC'ing even though demo has way better CC in axe toss and carrion swarm.

2v2 without a healer. How the actual fuck are you supposed to do this without ripping your hair from your skull?

2's vs healer comps need really spot on CC on the healer. Warrior comps will be tough since warriors shut down lock CC so hard BUT the saving grace is that most warriors get so stupid upon seeing a warlock they massively overextend. You also need a second dps partner who is very bursty...mage, ele, rogue, even enhance all work. I can't tell you how many times my friend and I have been able to kill a warrior in the opener since he blew everything to get on me (gateway prevention or just general dps'ing hardon) and we go silence > hex > fear(s) or shadowfury (on healer) while the warrior died. Full set of darksoul dots on the warrior and then get that CC on the healer... If you play aff you should be used to doing crap dmg in kill windows, your role is to open more of those windows for your partner.

For 2's I might also try demo for having the axe toss > coil > fears + partner CC = a very long chain the healer has to sit. Since demo can burst with instants once you have some DF killing a dps while their healer is CC'd is the basic strat. Demo also has physical CC to use vs the reflect/zerker/clos/ams/etc. Leap and carrion swarm also help with positioning.

Basics like using the right pet for the comp you face (ie Voidlord vs say hunter/warrior, imp vs hunter/healer comps (dispel traps), observer vs casters. I've had mixed success with succy/shivara vs rogues but some people find they really help break up high CC openers. Wrathguard is more for mortal strike...if you have that already in your comp use a felguard with service grimoire. You can try using imp or FG with service imp but it means using the demon training glyph thus giving the imp superior burst but it changes the playstyle slightly.

Deleted
    2vs2 without a healer is only doable if you play with a mage or a semi healer like a moonkin! But then Again, Yes you cant without one - Moonkin = healer

- - - Updated - - -

You shouldent be using imp, they are way to easy to kill.

If you got problems with traps, use your pet to absorb it! Passiv pet!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DonkeyWrench View Post
    If you got problems with traps, use your pet to absorb it! Passiv pet!
    Even with your pet on passive, a good hunter will land his traps. Not having your pet do anything is just stupid.

Yeah if you run with an imp and use a service imp run dark bargain...soul link is a waste. You can also run the standard FG but use a service imp for more burst. I like imps vs warrior teams since they basically eat reflects so you are clear to land bigger spells. A good hunter will land his trap but your imp should take you out of it instantly so long as there are no other magic effects on you. That said you can start with just a wrathguard till you get used to playing the spec and tailor it to your style/comp from there.

Messed with demo/enh, demo/MM, demo/warrior. Felt like demo/enh was best in 2's (though full haste aff is good too). Didn't like demo/MM as much - missed the mastery buff or something too much...though the CC chains were crazy. Demo/warrior I think will do better with the imps setup. Tried destro with those same comps and hated it. By the time you get around to actually getting a cb off the match is already over one way or the other. Demo is far more reliable to get the trinket/big defensives on the first darksoul/opener then use the 2nd charge once you have a bunch of DF and its usually good for a kill...usually about the time CC DR's have reset. Basic strat is ride a dps with all possible CC on the healer.

So far this season feels like our cookie cutter is high haste aff with demo being a fun change in playstyle...shame they itemize so differently. Playing aff just feels like giving up 100% any chance of killing people yourself you just pressure and CC bot for your dps hero partner. Plus since rogues are going to be the fotm demigods demo has a better chance of survival vs rogue comps.

Didn't help you win, did it?