Voters
191. This poll is closed
  • Yes

130 68.06%
  • No

61 31.94%
Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Would you like to play with your friends who are opposite faction?

I have several friends on WoW who are on just about every day that I'd like to group with. The problem is they're all Alliance. What I would like to see is Ally and Horde being able to group for only dungeons and scenarios IF they're battle.net friends. What do you guys think? Would it work? Do you think people would like it?

10+ Year Old Account
    While I'd like to see it, no make that LOVE to see it, Blizzard has stated they like red vs blue; I don't think it'll happen, even if everyone in the group is bnet friends.

15+ Year Old Account
    Don't be a jerk. Roll an Alliance (Worgen or Panda makes it easier to swallow, IMO) and play with your friends. Use the shit out of them to gear you up to speed. Profit.

I can see them allowing cross faction group/guild/whisper chat, cross faction LFG, cross faction guilds/parties/raids. etc etc.
    Lore wise, it can fit. Gameplay wise it could solve a loooooooooot of server balance issues.

10+ Year Old Account
    1: If tank and healer are different faction, too many deaths will occur..
    2: My friends would never play Alliance, so it won't be a problem... and if they did, they wouldn't be my friends anymore...
    Fact (because I say so): TBC > Cata > Legion > ShaLa > MoP > DF > BfA > WoD = WotLK

My pet collection --> http://www.warcraftpets.com/collection/FuxieDK/

I think the faction barrier (at least on PvE realms) is one of the most backward and outdated parts of WoW's design that's still in place. The idea of two factions with separate quests, races etc. is awesome and adds a ton of flavour, but arbitrarily preventing half your playerbase from communicating and interacting with the other half is really hard to justify in a primarily PvE-based MMO.

As mentioned, it works well on PvP realms to create that competitive atmosphere between the sides, but a lot of players have absolutely zero interest in that kind of thing. I really hope that cross-faction communication, grouping, guilds, and chat channels become a thing at some point in the future. It'd really reinvigorate my alt-levelling again!

Quote Originally Posted by chrisisvacant View Post
    Don't be a jerk. Roll an Alliance (Worgen or Panda makes it easier to swallow, IMO) and play with your friends. Use the shit out of them to gear you up to speed. Profit.
    Erm...don't be a jerk, use your friends?
    Wat.
    I mean, not that I disagree, it's just worded awkwardly.

Also I wish that you could at least with battle.net friends, I have 3 friends I used to raid with during DS that I wanna play with but everyone else is Alliance and they went horde recently :x

It's also a bit odd to understand all NPCs on both factions, yet suddenly apparently the characters you play are too dumb to understand other players.
    Last edited by Jester Joe; 2013-09-07 at 11:44 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    No of course not. Being able to group with the opposing faction is just wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well, all my friends still playing wow are all horde, with the occational alliance alt..

But it would be fun for roleplay purposes.
    #boycottchina

10+ Year Old Account
    Faction change?

10+ Year Old Account
    I think this is one of those situations where gameplay should trump lore. Random groups? Nah. RID/Battletag friends, yes, it would be nice.

It won't ever happen, but I'd like it if it was possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Crennox View Post
    Faction change?
    Yes, who could possibly want to group with their friends regardless of faction when all you need to do is pay $25 per character every time you want to play with a friend who is a different one. I'm sure that's a really appealing solution to people. :P

for moderation questions/concerns, please contact a global:

TzivaRadux SimcaElysiaZaelsinoxskarmaVenara

| twitch | bsky
    |

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tziva View Post

Yes, who could possibly want to group with their friends regardless of faction when all you need to do is pay $25 per character every time you want to play with a friend who is a different one. I'm sure that's a really appealing solution to people. :P
    Well I just feel that Horde and Alliance being able to group together would defeat the purpose of factions, yes it maybe be battle.net friends only but still, factions are factions.

Make it specifically ones where your faction wouldn't matter anyway (Dark Heart of Pandaria, any raid where Ally and Horde aren't technically at war at the moment, etc) and it's a great idea. At the moment, factions only barely make sense. Alliance is only the bad guy in scenes that only canonically exist if you play a Horde character and Horde being the bad guys is played off as retribution or splinter factions.

If I could wish for Blizzard to steal one more thing from Rift it would be cross-faction communication and grouping. That game proves there are no problems with it whatsoever and it's just artificial limitation in WoW that gets in the way of playing the game how you want.

And claiming the impossiblity of cross-faction play on lore reasons would be one big steaming pile of tauren crap. It's not even ten years since alliance and horde cooperated and communicated in Hyjal. Druids of all races and factions are fine with each other and belfs taught humans magic only few(?) centuries ago.
    Last edited by vesseblah; 2013-09-08 at 12:11 AM.
    Never going to log into this garbage forum again as long as calling obvious troll obvious troll is the easiest way to get banned.
    Trolling should be.

Deleted
    Yes, I would. And it would make sense lore-wise because, in the end, playable characters are mercenaries. And they work as mostly part of their faction, but they also work with neutral factions and with the other faction so grouping up is plausible lorewise.

10+ Year Old Account
    If by play with them you mean gank them senseless? Then yes, yes I would.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imadraenei View Post
    You can find that unbiased view somewhere between Atlantis and that unicorn farm down the street, just off Interstate √(-1).

Quote Originally Posted by Crennox View Post
    Well I just feel that Horde and Alliance being able to group together would defeat the purpose of factions, yes it maybe be battle.net friends only but still, factions are factions.
    What exactly is the purpose of factions again? You can't actually affect the story, you can't actually affect the war, you can't take territory from the enemy, the enemy cannot permanently damage your side so there's no real reason to defend, and you're trolled and harassed far more often by your own faction than you are by the opposing faction (part of that is the limitation on communication, but still).

I'm not trolling, I do not see an actual in-game purpose that is served by having the factions at this point.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope, one of the things that I really like about WoW still are the opposing factions. They have already changed so many core aspects of the game to fit what people want, if they change this it would be too large of a deviation from the heart of the game. It is called the World of Warcraft....you can't be all friendly with the other side lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by darkwarrior42 View Post
    What exactly is the purpose of factions again? You can't actually affect the story, you can't actually affect the war, you can't take territory from the enemy, the enemy cannot permanently damage your side so there's no real reason to defend, and you're trolled and harassed far more often by your own faction than you are by the opposing faction (part of that is the limitation on communication, but still).

I'm not trolling, I do not see an actual in-game purpose that is served by having the factions at this point.
    Factions are for PvP and for more story, but still the Warcraft games has always had factions since WC1, bringing in cross faction grouping would just be weird after creating a character in a certain faction.

Quote Originally Posted by Issalice View Post
    Nope, one of the things that I really like about WoW still are the opposing factions. They have already changed so many core aspects of the game to fit what people want, if they change this it would be too large of a deviation from the heart of the game. It is called the World of Warcraft....you can't be all friendly with the other side lol
    This.

Quote Originally Posted by Issalice View Post
    I would support this 100% if we could ACTUALLY be at WAR with the other side.

Random matches in pre-arranged battlegrounds, world PvP (aka: ganking), and killing a few auctioneers does not constitute a war. Let me seize or raze my enemy's cities to the ground, then we'll talk; until then, the "faction" conflict is little more than a pointless distraction.