Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deathcries View Post
    Well Detroit had plenty of .gov policy. How did that work out for them?
    If by governmental policy you mean the policy of cutting taxes to the extent that the public service was no longer sustainable and thus susceptible to corruption, then yes.

- - - Updated - - -

Leadership. Instead of Race Hustling we need to get in there and help those families. Make dads responsible for their children and preach responsibility. Preach to young women and men that premature sex is not the answer and only leads to more problems. Saying is one thing, doing is another.
    Or we could start actually funding public assistance programs, make medically accurate sex education required, distribute contraceptive methods for free, etc. All of which are actually known to reduce poverty rates and thus crime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marjane Satrapi
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Taxes in Detroit are some of the highest. What are you talking about? For the past 5 decades it has been democratic controlled. Democrats do not believe in low taxes.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Didactic View Post
    If by governmental policy you mean the policy of cutting taxes to the extent that the public service was no longer sustainable and thus susceptible to corruption, then yes.

- - - Updated - - -

Or we could start actually funding public assistance programs, make medically accurate sex education required, distribute contraceptive methods for free, etc. All of which are actually known to reduce poverty rates and thus crime.
    Detroit had all of that. Once again it was FULLY democrat controlled. Most major cities are.

Well Detroit had plenty of .gov policy. How did that work out for them?
    Rhetoric and platitudes are easy. We could opine all day about the "loss of the family structure", but without some actual way to fix the issues its just blowing wind.

10+ Year Old Account
    Taxes in Detroit are some of the highest. What are you talking about? For the past 5 decades it has been democratic controlled. Democrats do not believe in low taxes.
    Which is why apparently half of Detroit's property owners failed to pay taxes in 2012 alone.
    The world is not divided between East and West. You are American, I am Iranian, we don't know each other, but we talk and understand each other perfectly. The difference between you and your government is much bigger than the difference between you and me. And the difference between me and my government is much bigger than the difference between me and you. And our governments are very much the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Wells View Post
    Rhetoric and platitudes are easy. We could opine all day about the "loss of the family structure", but without some actual way to fix the issues its just blowing wind.
    I gave some examples. These inner cities have money funed for sex education, major public assistance programs, and the likes. We need to get in there and teach them responsibility. This was not Martin Luther King Jr's. dream.

- - - Updated - - -

Which is why apparently half of Detroit's property owners failed to pay taxes in 2012 alone.
    Probably because most of them left, or are on drugs.

10+ Year Old Account
    I gave some examples. These inner cities have money funed for sex education, major public assistance programs, and the likes. We need to get in there and teach them responsibility. This was not Martin Luther King Jr's. dream.
    Because apparently correctly run public assistance and sexual education does not teach "responsibility".

Probably because most of them left, or are on drugs.
    And I suspect your source for that conclusion is somewhere in the upper reaches of your colon.

What does "teaching responsibility" mean in actual policy terms?

The only think i can think of that might actually help, is stepping up our shitty ass education system. Cut military spending, get these school back where they need to. Start hiring accredited teachers, principals, school superintendents. Enforce a stricter truancy program, make parents liable for their kid's truancy, and in school behavior. Stop shipping kids up to the next grade when they have failed their current grade. Make after school programs easier for kids to get into, and school supplied transportation for who kids who cannot get home.

Keeps kids off the street, and out of gangs.

Because apparently correctly run public assistance and sexual education does not teach "responsibility".

And I suspect your source for that conclusion is somewhere in the upper reaches of your colon.
    Yes, you know you're absolutely right. Let's throw billions of more dollars on what we've already throw billions on. That makes perfect sense. Obviously the problem is republicans running Detroit and these other cities into the ground. Those pesky republicans. If they would just throw more money it might just fix something.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Åmbulance View Post
    The only think i can think of that might actually help, is stepping up our shitty ass education system. Cut military spending, get these school back where they need to. Start hiring accredited teachers, principals, school superintendents. Enforce a stricter truancy program, make parents liable for their kid's truancy, and in school behavior. Stop shipping kids up to the next grade when they have failed their current grade. Make after school programs easier for kids to get into, and school supplied transportation for who kids who cannot get home.
    Teachers unions disagree with your assessment.

How so? Explain?

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes, you know you're absolutely right. Let's throw billions of more dollars on what we've already throw billions on. That makes perfect sense. Obviously the problem is republicans running Detroit and these other cities into the ground. Those pesky republicans. If they would just throw more money it might just fix something.
    No, it's actually a more systemic problem than a partisan one - though it is rather amusing how most blue states tend to be better off. The problem is that any sort of concerted effort at solving these rather severe social problems is precluded by the federal mode of government.

Take sex education for example. Only 12 states in the -entire- US require medically accurate sex education; and only eight of those require unbiased sex education. This causes a slough of social problems like poverty in a large area of the US.

Your source for that is, what?

What does "teaching responsibility" mean in actual policy terms?
    Not policy. I'm talking about black leaders actually helping out their communities. Most cities have these leaders. However instead of helping out their local cities, most of them are worried about white's killing blacks. I'm sorry I grew up in a racially diverse community. We need to stop fighting each other and start helping one another. Problem is people are more worried about theirs, then helping out others. "What can you do for me?"

- - - Updated - - -

No, it's actually a more systemic problem than a partisan one - though it is rather amusing how most blue states tend to be better off. The problem is that any sort of concerted effort at solving these rather severe social problems is precluded by the federal mode of government.

Take sex education for example. Only 12 states in the -entire- US require medically accurate sex education; and only eight of those require unbiased sex education. This causes a slough of social problems like poverty in a large area of the US.

Your source for that is, what?
    http://teachersunionexposed.com/ Juan Williams is a liberal btw. Even he agrees.

10+ Year Old Account
    Not policy. I'm talking about black leaders actually helping out their communities. Most cities have these leaders. However instead of helping out their local cities, most of them are worried about white's killing blacks. I'm sorry I grew up in a racially diverse community. We need to stop fighting each other and start helping one another. Problem is people are more worried about theirs, then helping out others. "What can you do for me?"
    So basically, what you're recommending is useless platitudes based on idealism rather than actual, specific points of policy.

So your solution to crime and poor economic situations is "we need to start helping each other".

http://teachersunionexposed.com/ Juan Williams is a liberal btw. Even he agrees.
    So you have no actual opinion, you just read something and go " THIS!!!!"

Williams isn't a liberal.

10+ Year Old Account
    Williams isn't a liberal.
    "Liberal" is a useless term in of itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Åmbulance View Post
    So you have no actual opinion, you just read something and go " THIS!!!!"
    No, that is just one link. There are many more. I can't just say "well I just know" because then you'll be saying the same thing.

So your solution to crime and poor economic situations is "we need to start helping each other".
    Basically, but just throwing money out there isn't the solution. We have to get involved. Before you say what do I do, I've served 6 years in the military and once a month I volunteer at my cities soup kitchen. Believe me I want to help. These kids need guidance.

No, that is just one link. There are many more. I can't just say "well I just know" because then you'll be saying the same thing.
    What is your argument? That the teacher's union isn't for the students, but for the people that pay's it's dues? Color me shocked!