Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Does it ever bother you how nice/calm Judges and etc are to evil people?

Ok it's quite hard to define who I am specifically referring to, so I might as well call it the people involved in the Justice system. Here's an example of what I am trying to get at. All from the Ariel Castro case.

This guy is a murderer and rapist who has imprisoned three human lives for over a decade, so you would figure they would have this guy in a straight jacket and hold him up in the dark while questioning him, but instead, they cuff him, calmly ask him questions, then give the guy a slice of pizza and a cola. Like really? Is that necessary or fair for this man's actions? Then another problem I have is when Judges are announcing their fates or talking, they are awfully calm and polite in most instances, with only a few rare exceptions of rage.

So what I wanna get out of this is why they are so relaxed and nice when they are dealing with people like this? Example videos coming.

Look at the luxury this guy gets. Seriously.

Their reactions to this shit are unreal.
    Last edited by Salandrin; 2013-09-19 at 08:02 AM.
    "The Naxxramas Warrior. Eternal slayer of the Orcs."

Not really, they're supposed to be objective only in their judgment, aided by the jury, who're sworn to do the same. Treating him with some degree of humanity is to not stoop to his level, it's already taking his freedom away. And if said freedom is taken with no adequate reason (like it was the wrong suspect they got) you get compensated. A lot. Around here anyway.

They're supposed to the justice system, and it's supposed to be blind. Not saying it has the optimal functionality, but that's another discussion.

But no, it doesn't bother me. The sentence they get does, around here (here being Denmark), were we're too damned nice to people.

The reason they have to be like that is because the whole point of being a judge is to be as un-bias and neutral as you can and examine only the evidence. If you bring emotions into it that will cloud your judgement and they would lose their job if they did this. Also, putting someone in a straight jacket, ect. will cause someones opinion of the defendant to be clouded yet again. We associate a straight jacket with people who are insane so of course you would judge a person if you saw them wearing one and even if it's subconsciously the judge's view on the case would likely be affected. We are all entitled to a free and fair trial and it may seem these horrible people don't deserve it, but that's just how it has to work.
    Last edited by Saishi; 2013-09-19 at 08:08 AM.

What the fuck? Innocent until proven guilty is a thing, and it is what our Justice system is supposed to be about. If you are interrogating some guy in a room for 12 hours, he could technically get off if you don't give him some food/drink and let him use the bathroom.

Judges should be impartial. They are supposed to uphold the law, not be vindictive.
    Quote Originally Posted by xanzul View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by obdigore View Post
    So if the states get together and work with the Legislative Branch to write an amendment to the federal constitution, you think the Judiciary (SCOTUS) could strike it down for being 'unconstitutional'?
    Uh...yes. Absolutely.

Stood in the Fire
    10+ Year Old Account
    From my understanding, and quite frankly its very low, that first guy havent been convicted yet and as such have rigths like anybody else and such "luxuries", as you cal it, may be there to make him more at ease to easly get a confecion.

About the judges, they represent the justice sistem and the justice sistem aim to be seem as not influencied by emotions, because of this i belive that the judges should remain calm.

Remember that what i said is only my, poor informed, opinion.
    “Dois loucos não sabiam que era impossível realizar a tarefa, decidiram então realizá-la.” Mark Twain

I've never even considered them not being calm.

Who would it benefit if the judge got angry?

10+ Year Old Account
    If you've ever been inside a court room... you'll hear people say "Innocent until proven guilty"... now how much respect for our court would you have if judges were biased and already had an opinion whether or not someone was guilty? I wouldn't have any respect for the system... everyone is tried equally and fairly... if a judge is biased, then he's unfit for the job.
    Most likely the wisest Enhancement Shaman.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presumption_of_innocence <-- this is how we do it in a civil world.

You expecting from a judge to be angry is an angry-mob type of behaviour and sorry to say that's not very civil or humane or whatever u wanna call it.

I'd be bothered if they weren't calm, vengeance is not their purpose. Also if someone is definitely going to jail it's kind of a tease to let them taste normal food before being sent away, a reward to the innocent and punishment to the guility
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

10+ Year Old Account
    What an odd question. Why would people treating other people with respect and human decency bother me?

OP could boil the question down to "do you want revenge".

No. It doesn't bother me. I'm usually nice to assholes too. Gets you further anyway.
    Everyone has so much to say
    They talk talk talk their lives away

If the judge would start raging to the defendant then there would be appeal to the case for sure. Judges are meant to stay objective.

I admire anyone able to remain calm and objective in those circumstances.
    Instead of criticising them we ought to be proud of them.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Puck View Post
    What an odd question. Why would people treating other people with respect and human decency bother me?
    "Because they are criminals and are therefore not people"

That's the sort of logic these people apply.

They also seem to forget the concept of innocent until proven guilty and the fact that both the judge and the jury have to remain fully objective at all times.

Judges are (supposed to be) impartial and objective arbiters who interpret and exercise the law guided by the verdict of a jury of the people.

Innocent until proven guilty etc... until the jury hands down their verdict, you treat them as such - even if it's a man like Castro sitting in the dock.

Lawful neutral, lawful neutral.

The more impartial and unbiased a judge acts, the less likely an appeal will succeed. If I were you I would be happy those monsters got treated so well during trial, it leaves that much less room for them to get off without punishment.
    Proud member of the zero infraction club (lets see how long this can last =)

In modern systems, achieving the rank of judge requires a good amount of self-discipline in one's life. You don't exactly hear about judges going to wild parties and showing up drunk early in the morning. That self-discipline helps them restrain any emotional urges.

But sure, there are plenty of other systems not so nice. Nazis got a trial. Mussolini was hung and put on display at a gas station upside down.

Deleted
    Think the word is professional. How does one quantify evil anyway.

Why would you intentionally antagonise a mentally unstable or psychotic person?