10+ Year Old Account

Where in the world did blizz come up with the legendary cloak names?

Xing-ho?

Jina-Kang?

Qian-Le

Qian-Ying

Gong-Lu

Fen-Yu

>.> Lol I don't even know. Asian references somewhere? D:

Guessing they're supposed to sound Chinese. As someone who doesn't know Chinese, they sound ridiculous. But perhaps they have some meaning? At least I hope so.

10+ Year Old Account
    They are just Chinese-esque names, whether or not they actually relate to anything in China I wouldn't know, but been pretty disappointed haven't seen any Dynasty Warriors (or Romance of the Three Kingdoms, if you rather) references at all. =/

WTB Lubu riding Red Hare with Red Hare as a drop mount kkthx Blizz

10+ Year Old Account
    The same place they came up with these names in Classic:

- Mish'undare, Circlet of the Mind Flayer
    - Crul'shorukh, Edge of Chaos
    - Lok'amir il Romathis

They made up a thematically appropriate fantasy name. Sometimes, definitely not always, alluding to a real-life counterpart in part of the word.
    Looking marvelous in velvet.

Deleted
    Chinese student reporting in - it seems Chinese, but one of the syllables doesn't exist at all in Chinese (ho in Xing-ho), and all the other words don't sound like anything that'd make sense to me (Gong-Lu could be 公路, 'highway', but I doubt that's what they were going for =P). So yes, they're just pretty random Chinese-sounding 'words' - unlike some other names in WoW, such as Lei Shen (雷神, 'Thunder God').

Where in the world did blizz come up with the legendary cloak procs ¬¬
    Shiny colored wings? For God Sake...

Don't think picking names for a international game is an easy task. You have to crosscheck their utterance and writings to all languages where you want to sell the game, as well as regarding international and national trademarks.

So you can be pretty sure those names were not picked by some developer because they sound cool, but coming up with these was hard work and they were also checked from many linguists and lawyers.

Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post
    Don't think picking names for a international game is an easy task. You have to crosscheck their utterance and writings to all languages where you want to sell the game, as well as regarding international and national trademarks.

So you can be pretty sure those names were not picked by some developer because they sound cool, but coming up with these was hard work and they were also checked from many linguists and lawyers.
    One of the prominent examples of this is the "Nissan - Pajero" Which in spain meant "Jerk"

Quote Originally Posted by Puri View Post

Someone should have told that to a particular airport in Japan. I dread coming back to the states after a layover in that airport.