Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    Deleted

Question Blizzard removing content

Usually i see the logic behind the changes in WoW and I understand for example removing skills to prevent ability bloat, and removing severely outdated content. But there has been a lot of content removed and i really don't see the point behind them all.

For example removing class quests (rogue, warlock, warrior comes to mind) or mount quests (druid, paladin, warlock), rogue poison profession, hunter pet happiness, hunter pet food buff, hunter arrows etc. or a entire dungeon (sunken temple) when it could just be suited to lfd like blackrock depths was. Even removing the LFD tool was not necessary, now it has been replaced by a addon (oQueue).
    So is there any reason blizzard is removing content from WoW?
    Last edited by mmoc9725088499; 2013-09-10 at 05:39 AM.

The size of the dungeon and the length of time to finish it compared to other dungeons is why they changed it and a few others. Some like Mara they split into multiple runs and some like WC or ST they just made smaller. With LFG being the main way ppl dungeon crawl as they lvl ppl would just auto leave the super long runs, like they still do in BRD, and hope to get some of the quick shorter ones. The reason they didn't chop all of them in to multiple runs is there are already a ton of lower lvl dungeons. With how quick you lvl even without BOA gear you can only dungeon crawl and miss a large amount of the instances already.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

10+ Year Old Account
    And the reason they removed class quests is because of LFD - how annoying would it be if you had a shaman who didn't have his totems or a warlock who couldn't CC because she didn't have her Succubus. They removed them because you were gimped if you didn't do them.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I wish to make up for taking so much of it out of the game, they had made it available in the open world, or maybe as a scenario, or just done what they did with Maraudon and making it a several instanced-dungeon.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Really, there's a lot of different questions with a lot of different answers there. Pet happiness system was more or less a bloat issue, it was a complicated system that basically was a pointless secondary resource, so doing away with it made sense. Class quests that went away did so because the thing they addressed went away, i.e. paladins get their mounts at the trainer so the mount quest was pointless, rogue poison profession went away so there was no point to a poison quest. A lot of class quests still exist, though, and you just get a weapon or armor instead. Hunter arrows and rogue poison profession basically come down to reagents, which they largely did away with too as a pointless secondary resource - Greater Blessings, for example, used to cost paladins reagents even though buffing was just an every day part of being a paladin.

Anyway, as for ST itself, I agree with you, but they felt ST in particular was just too confusing. Which, to be honest, it really is. New players still get lost in Blackrock all the time, I can't even count how many lfd I've joined just to spend half an hour collecting all the lost members from different hallways in that place. To the devs, ST was even more confusing, and even more sprawling, and it just made a lot more sense to simplify it when you consider that the people going there are mostly new players leveling up, with no idea how to play the game and how to navigate old content.

I do wish they had an option to do old ST, but then I wish they had legacy servers too sometimes. In the end it's the evolution of the game, and with the good parts (removing pointless reagents for example) you get some less appealing changes (streamlining beloved old dungeons).

Blackrock Depth was left mostly untouched (they added NPCs\transporters to facilitate), they could have done the same to Sunken Temple, instead, they destroyed the place.

I'm one of those few people that LOVED the old style of massive dungeons (Blackrock Spire, Blackrock Depths, Sunken Temple...), and HATE that dungeons now are simple uninteresting hallways.

10+ Year Old Account
    I agree that the class quests and mount quests being removed is a bummer. The game has to evolve, it can't stay the same forever. The older dungeons that they have revamped to be in separate parts, I think they did so to make the leveling grind less tedious. Back when that was current content it was exciting and fun. Now everyone just wants to get in, get their loot and xp and leave as quickly as possible. I hate Razorfen Kraul with a passion, I don't want, or need it to be longer lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Thopp View Post
    For example removing class quests (rogue, warlock, warrior comes to mind) or mount quests (druid, paladin, warlock),
    These were removed because some players either didn't know to do them, or couldn't be bothered to stop their leveling time in order to track halfway across the world just to get something like Berserker Stance, which became either trainable directly, auto-trained, or chosen by spec. It would be interesting if they kept the quests in the game, just for the people who wanted to see it... but that would have meant leaving the specific NPCs alone after Cata changed the entire old world and streamlined it.

rogue poison profession, hunter pet happiness, hunter pet food buff, hunter arrows etc.
    There was nothing more tedious or obnoxious than having a raid wipe because your hunter ran out of bullets or your rogue ran out of poisons, when both of these can be (and were) made directly into the class. The Reagent argument is another good point that was brought up here. "Sorry, can't give Fort, ran out of candles." "Shit, can't ankh and save the raid from a wipe, because I'm out of ankhs."

or a entire dungeon (sunken temple) when it could just be suited to lfd like blackrock depths was. Even removing the LFD tool was not necessary, now it has been replaced by a addon (oQueue).
    They removed Sunken Temple entirely? Shit, and here I thought I ran it the other day. Having to go through that place, with a group of people who have never seen it before and didn't know where to go, was damned obnoxious. 3 layers of floors, back and side rooms all over the instance, and bosses that would eat the random solo person alive who stumbled onto it, simply because the layout was completely screwy? Sorry, but I very much prefer the simpler set-up.

As for removing LFD... Do you mean the random queue system that's still in the game, allowing for cross-realm grouping and enabling such add-ons like oQueue to operate via the realID system? Or do you mean the archaic one, demanding people to only play with one another on the same server, and requiring half the group to manually get to the summoning stone before you can even start thinking about entering?

My mindset is that most of these were Quality of Life changes, since the way they were before tended to be senseless time sinks, and made the experience to many quite miserable. Hells, I'm still pissed about the removal of Have Group, Will Travel. But trying to level from 1-90 and still being forced to manually walk to each instance, and hoping that there's 4 other people of an appropriate level (if you didn't go the route of simply being carried through by a guildie or friend) in order to experience how the dungeon should be? Yeah, sorry, but give me the new and shiny.
    "It was the product of a mind so twisted, it was actually sprained." -Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by nurabsal View Post
    on an aside, i think Bane Falcon might be my hero
    2-2-2012. We shall always remember the day where Paladins ascended through the Light to become GODS.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bane Falcon View Post
    There was nothing more tedious or obnoxious than having a raid wipe because your hunter ran out of bullets or your rogue ran out of poisons, when both of these can be (and were) made directly into the class. The Reagent argument is another good point that was brought up here. "Sorry, can't give Fort, ran out of candles." "Shit, can't ankh and save the raid from a wipe, because I'm out of ankhs."
    I actually liked that you had a certain responsibility towards your group. It was one things that seperated the good players with the bad ones.

It's a quality of life thing. Ammo and reagents I maybe can understand (not that they are necessary anyway) however having to fill up your bag space with ammo or soulstones (Jesus Christ, single stacking items) was awful. Changing ST was obvious as nobody knew how to do it after BT, and anyone who did know never wanted to go anywhere near it. Class quests slowed leveling down a lot which made people not want to have alts, which led to people being bored with their only character which eventually led to people quitting. I'm not saying what exists now is better, but there were obvious reasons for these changes.
    It's like crossing an intersection. There's shit going on all over the place and you don't panic and act like an idiot then do you?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeror View Post
    I actually liked that you had a certain responsibility towards your group. It was one things that seperated the good players with the bad ones.
    This, it showed responsibility and commitment.

Quote Originally Posted by Issalice View Post
    I agree that the class quests and mount quests being removed is a bummer. The game has to evolve, it can't stay the same forever. The older dungeons that they have revamped to be in separate parts, I think they did so to make the leveling grind less tedious. Back when that was current content it was exciting and fun. Now everyone just wants to get in, get their loot and xp and leave as quickly as possible. I hate Razorfen Kraul with a passion, I don't want, or need it to be longer lol.
    Exactly. Things do in fact change. A very small percent of people want the game the way it used to be. I played back in the day and it was good at the time, but mainly because I was completely new at the game and didn't know any better. But now? No thank you. I don't want to sit there and grind for a ridiculous amount of time. It truly would not be fun repeating that again. Besides, if they kept the game the same as it was back then, IMO, I bet more people would have quit by now. lol. As yo said, you can't keep things the same forever. That's why Blizzard has consistently changed the game to try and mix it up and make it "refreshing" and "unique". It's almost impossible to as the game is so old, but at least they try.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeror View Post
    You're talking about buying reagents and that's nothing that makes you a good player.
    If you have played Lei Shen heroic, you should know what seperates a good player with a bad one...

10+ Year Old Account
    Usually i see the logic behind the changes in WoW and I understand for example removing skills to prevent ability bloat, and removing severely outdated content. But there has been a lot of content removed and i really don't see the point behind them all.

For example removing class quests (rogue, warlock, warrior comes to mind) or mount quests (druid, paladin, warlock), rogue poison profession, hunter pet happiness, hunter pet food buff, hunter arrows etc. or a entire dungeon (sunken temple) when it could just be suited to lfd like blackrock depths was. Even removing the LFD tool was not necessary, now it has been replaced by a addon (oQueue).
    are you really confused about what content is? most of what you are trying to roll into your little argument is actually quality of life changes, which was never content. the only thing close to content that you are clinging to is the removal of some class quests. which lets face it they dont make sense in the direction that WoW has moved to.

and trying to use quality of life changes like carrying a bag full of "arrows" for hunters as content? lol. no. that was not content. that was only hurting players wanting to try out hunters for no reason. and i mean that like since all other classes didnt have to carry 5 thousand arrows (about a 24 slot bags worth) that meant hunters only have 4 bags to have what everybody had in 5. see QoL improvement, not removal of content.

i can go on for each of your points, but they end the same. you are calling these things the wrong name.
    Quote Originally Posted by ablib View Post
    I do realize that this is an internet forum full of morons, however in real life, no one questions me, people look to me for the answer, look up to me, trust me. To have dipshits on a video game forum question me, is insulting.

Quote Originally Posted by Keashaa View Post
    You're talking about buying reagents and that's nothing that makes you a good player.
    If you have played Lei Shen heroic, you should know what seperates a good player with a bad one...
    While buying reagents/100% durability/having pots/flasks/food does not equal being a good player, it is certainly a way into the right direction. A person can be "skilled" to the max. But if this player does not "prepare" for whatever lies ahead I would certainly not recruit that player. A player like that is not a team player = badplayer, whatever his skill imo.
    Last edited by Vaelorian; 2013-09-10 at 07:59 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Class quests - I can't understand removing
    Mount quests - Outdated idea
    Rogue Poison Profession - Annoying as fuck. As a rogue i am so happy its gone.
    Pet happiness - Annoying as fuck.
    Food buff - same as above
    Hunter arrows - Running out mid boss fight sucks ass. Outdated idea. Still can't work out why they removed the quivers on the back but.
    Sunken Temple - Was boring and took to long. People avoided it.
    Blackrock depths - They have split it into 4 instances with different level bosses. Was an great idea.
    LFD - Nobody would use it. Pointless to still have it.
    Last edited by Airwaves; 2013-09-10 at 08:08 AM.
    Aye mate

- Removing class quests was stupid
    - Mount quests should have stayed to let people experience the story
    - Rogue poisons and other reagents are ok for me, I always remembered to add them after getting used to it
    - Hunter Pet stuff, some people hated it, some people liked it, IMO was ok for me
    - Removing and then revamping dungeons is stupid, leave them alone and put them in together with the new dungeons or revamps
    - Supported removing arrows/bullets but not quivers, silly Blizzard
    - LFD tool, the community got too toxic for its own (Tanked pretty fine in WoLTK as Ret pally, why so serious for a VC run?)

Blizzard removes content to remove the hassle (reagents, rogue poisons) or it is already outdated (old 1-60). Personally the later irks me as it could have been win-win by putting old and new in together and giving players a choice

Quote Originally Posted by Pejo View Post
    And the reason they removed class quests is because of LFD - how annoying would it be if you had a shaman who didn't have his totems or a warlock who couldn't CC because she didn't have her Succubus. They removed them because you were gimped if you didn't do them.
    Those make sense.

Rhok'delar quest removal does not make sense. Quel'serrar quest removal even with updated Onyxia doesn't make sense. Lock and pally mount quests don't make sense ESPECIALLY with the addition of LFD.
    Quote Originally Posted by High Overlord Saurfang
    "I am he who watches they. I am the fist of retribution. That which does quell the recalcitrant. Dare you defy the Warchief? Dare you face my merciless judgement?"
    i7-6700 @2.8GHz | Nvidia GTX 960M | 16GB DDR4-2400MHz | 1 TB Toshiba SSD| Dell XPS 15

While it was certainly interesting and fun at the time when i finally had access to the epic ammunition in TBC (the timeless ones or some sort), i didn't mind it's removal that much. As for the rest, they could have split ST in multiple instances, but i personally hated it so not a big deal. Though i do agree that the removal of class quests kind of takes away some of the exploration aspect( maybe it's just nostalgia , when i had to run all over the world to get my totems), and they could have kept them in game i guess.

Deleted
    I understand quality of life improvements, but theres a point where it's maybe too much.
    For me, bringing reagents, arrows, soulstones and food buffs to a raid or bg means coming prepared. Same thing for attending a raid with enchants, gems and the right spec. or doing a class quest to get a spell, or a class-mount.
    For many of you it seems everything that is not straight combat related is just in the way of "quality of life improvements", should we get rid of buffing and make all buffs passive, or get rid of flasks? potions? enchants? gems? hit rating? (why not since def rating has been taken away)

Seems some of you would like WoW to become like a CoD game, just log on and fight, no need for any kind of preparing or planning.
    And but content, while maybe a wrong word for it, i mean anything that is/has been in WoW, including quests, arrows, dungeons etc.

Potions usable only once per fight so you don't have to farm for 100xpotion mats for a raid night, mass rez, guild cauldrons, rep bonuses for alts, heirlooms, questhelper integrated, queuing bg's from anywhere, mounts that swim etc. is what i call a "quality of life improvement". Taking away class mounts/quests reagents, pet happiness, craftable arrows etc is what i call removing content for ?? reasons
    Last edited by mmoc9725088499; 2013-09-10 at 10:45 AM.